PDA

View Full Version : Fishing trip music

Joe McIntosh
January 28th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Down to 38 degrees and raining here [Wilmington N.C.] yesterday [worse day
of winter this year] so i [for wayno] started planning for summer fishing
trips. Have plenty of sardines and manhattans , my white buffalo [gmc van]
has new shocks, will get new wading boots from waldo, so I am ready to go
except---
My standard traveling cd collection is about worn out---Yanni,Hank Williams
Sr.,Andrea Bocelli,John Tesh, and Leadbelly. Need something new.
Big Dale and some of you long trip folks how about suggesting your top five
selections for a 6000 mile trip to western clave.

If anyone is interested in mailing me a cd copy of their favorites--i would
be glad to pay your costs plus maybe the cost of a case of your favorite
beer.

Indian Joe--looking for the sun and some good sounds.

Charlie Choc
January 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:56:35 GMT, "Joe McIntosh"
> wrote:

> how about suggesting your top five
>selections for a 6000 mile trip to western clave.

I always take plenty of JJ Cale, Keb' Mo', John Hiatt, Delbert
McClinton, Taj Mahal, Ry Cooder, Little Feat, ...
--
Charlie...

Bill Mason
January 28th, 2004, 03:06 PM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message

> If anyone is interested in mailing me a cd copy of their favorites--i
would
> be glad to pay your costs plus maybe the cost of a case of your favorite
> beer.

If you're interested and willing to email me a shipping address, a copy of
Orchestra Baobab's 1982 studio session will be headed your way by the
weekend. Somewhat different but very nice...your playlist leads me to
believe that you might like this group from Senegal.

Cheers,
Bill

Wayne Harrison
January 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Joe McIntosh wrote
>Indian Joe--looking for the sun and some good sounds.
>
> the beach boys' "pet sounds"; neil young''s "decade"; linda ronstadt's
early stuff, especially "simple dreams";the stones;springsteen;elton john;
gordon lightfoot, "gord's gold"; roy orbison; the "layla" album; allman
bros. band;early fleetwood mac; tom petty;joan baez, through "diamonds and
rust"; bob dylan, through "blood on the tracks"; jackson browne; james
taylor's first two efforts; dire straits; willie nelson; johnny cash; waylon
jennings; george jones;dwight yoakum; lyle lovett's first album;and, of
course, the fab four.

that oughtta get you across the blue ridge...

your friend in the piedmont
wayno

George Adams
January 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM
>From: "Wayne Harrison"

>Joe McIntosh wrote
>>Indian Joe--looking for the sun and some good sounds.

>> the beach boys' "pet sounds"; neil young''s "decade"; linda ronstadt's
>early stuff, especially "simple dreams";the stones;springsteen;elton john;
>gordon lightfoot, "gord's gold"; roy orbison; the "layla" album; allman
>bros. band;early fleetwood mac;
>tom petty;joan baez, through "diamonds and
>rust"; bob dylan, through "blood on the tracks"; jackson browne; james
>taylor's first two efforts; dire straits; willie nelson; johnny cash; waylon
>jennings; george jones;dwight yoakum; lyle lovett's first album;and, of
>course, the fab four.

You forgot Emmylou Harris, and Highway 101(with Paulette Carlson)

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Wayne Harrison
January 28th, 2004, 11:47 PM
"George Adams" > wrote

> You forgot Emmylou Harris,

yes, and even a merciful deity might strike me dead for such a grievous
omission. "boulder to birmingham" might be the most sublime sad song i ever
heard.

yfitons
wayno

rw
January 29th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:
> "George Adams" > wrote
>

>>You forgot Emmylou Harris,
>

> yes, and even a merciful deity might strike me dead for such a grievous
> omission. "boulder to birmingham" might be the most sublime sad song i ever
> heard.

The Joan Baez version is good, too. Great song.

Here are some of my Emmylou favorites, in no particular order:

born to run
blue kentucky girl
even cowgirls get the blues
heaven only knows
love is
heartbreak girl
a river for him
if you were a bluebird
too far gone
sleepless nights
for no one
queen of the silver dollar
boulder to birmingham
mister sandman
hello stranger
wrecking ball
goodbye
blackhawk

Warren
January 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM
wrote...
> You forgot Emmylou Harris, and Highway 101(with Paulette Carlson)

And he forgot Disturbed, Trapped, StaticX, Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie,
Rage Against the Machine, Nickleback, Sum 41, Social Distortion,
Insane Clown Posse, Ramstein, Kid Rock, and a few others too.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Wayne Harrison
January 29th, 2004, 01:38 AM
"Warren" > wrote in message
> wrote...
> > You forgot Emmylou Harris, and Highway 101(with Paulette Carlson)
>
> And he forgot Disturbed, Trapped, StaticX, Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie,
> Rage Against the Machine, Nickleback, Sum 41, Social Distortion,
> Insane Clown Posse, Ramstein, Kid Rock, and a few others too.

` rebellious child! have you no taste?

yfitons
wayno

Jeff Miller
January 29th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Joe McIntosh wrote:

> If anyone is interested in mailing me a cd copy of their favorites--i would
> be glad to pay your costs plus maybe the cost of a *case* of your favorite
> beer.

hell, for a case of my favorite bear, i'll buy you a cd and drive it to
wilmington.

jeff (rogue honey cream ale will do for starters...)

Frank Reid
January 29th, 2004, 01:44 AM
> hell, for a case of my favorite bear, i'll buy you a cd and drive it to
> wilmington.

Hmm, I hope thats not an endangered bear. By the way, just picked up a CCR
3 CD anthology set. Sat out in the truck and listened for 15 minutes after
coming home from the grocery store.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

SnakeFiddler
January 29th, 2004, 01:51 AM
"Lennie Richardson" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> >
> > > <tasty list snipped>
> > that oughtta get you across the blue ridge...
> >
> > your friend in the piedmont
> > wayno
> >

> One of my traditions is to listen to some Copland, especially "Appalachian
> Spring", as I pass over the Blue Ridge. Then I ease back into some
baroque,
> and next flip in "Never Mind the ******** Here's the Sex Pistols".
>
> Then I turn on the AM radio and search the dial for traditionally black
> gospel stations. I can listen to them for hours.
>
> But every trip over two hours begins with the remixed version of "Who's
> Next".

Except for Warren's suggestions, and Uncle Wayno's inclusion of Roy Orbison,
and the Beach Boys, ya'll have put together a fine list of music. You are,
however, lacking in one of my,(being a Detroit girl), favorite genres-
Motown. And let's not forget R&B. Great drivin' and singin' music

Snake- love that Marvin Gaye.....

Warren
January 29th, 2004, 01:52 AM
wrote...
> ` rebellious child! have you no taste?

Plenty andnd it seems to have surpassed your own. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Jeff Miller
January 29th, 2004, 02:05 AM
damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure vexed up
and often confuse my beers with bears.

jeff, a/k/a "flatus aurelius" (who, after consuming beer, becomes quite
unbearable... am i making scents?)

Frank Reid wrote:

>>hell, for a case of my favorite bear, i'll buy you a cd and drive it to
>>wilmington.
>

> Hmm, I hope thats not an endangered bear. By the way, just picked up a CCR
> 3 CD anthology set. Sat out in the truck and listened for 15 minutes after
> coming home from the grocery store.

Lennie Richardson
January 29th, 2004, 02:12 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message

> > <tasty list snipped>
> that oughtta get you across the blue ridge...
>
> your friend in the piedmont
> wayno

One of my traditions is to listen to some Copland, especially "Appalachian
Spring", as I pass over the Blue Ridge. Then I ease back into some baroque,
and next flip in "Never Mind the ******** Here's the Sex Pistols".

Then I turn on the AM radio and search the dial for traditionally black
gospel stations. I can listen to them for hours.

But every trip over two hours begins with the remixed version of "Who's
Next".

Warren
January 29th, 2004, 02:38 AM
wrote...
> Except for Warren's suggestions,

Hey now! Open your sock drawer and impale yourself! <g>
--
Warren (how was that for a polite "Go **** yourself"? :-)
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

DW Dawg
January 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM
CCR, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa will entertain you and you will gain some
education at the same time.

Tim J.
January 29th, 2004, 04:21 AM
"DW Dawg" wrote...
> CCR, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa will entertain you and you will gain some
> education at the same time.

Like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?
--
TL,
Tim

Kevin Vang
January 29th, 2004, 04:22 AM
In article <WTZRb.2462$fZ6.89@lakeread06>,
says...
> damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure vexed up
> and often confuse my beers with bears.

If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
contents, it's probably a bear. If it does that to you, it's
most likely a bear.

HTH,
Kevin

Kevin Vang
January 29th, 2004, 04:38 AM
In article >,
says...

> If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
> contents, it's probably a bear. If it does that to you, it's
> most likely a bear.
>
> HTH,
> Kevin

D'oh! Let's try that again:

If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
contents, it's probably a beer. If it does that to you, it's
most likely a bear.

Warren
January 29th, 2004, 04:49 AM
wrote...
> D'oh! Let's try that again:
>
> If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
> contents, it's probably a beer. If it does that to you, it's
> most likely a bear.

I was starting to wonder if that was either the Miller Barebeerbear
Virus or just senility. <BSEG>

--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

daytripper
January 29th, 2004, 05:16 AM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 04:21:50 GMT, "Tim J." >
wrote:

>"DW Dawg" wrote...
>> CCR, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa will entertain you and you will gain some
>> education at the same time.
>
>Like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?

Like "Joe's Garage"!

tmon
January 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
From: (daytripper)
"Tim J." >
wrote:
"DW Dawg" wrote...

CCR, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa will entertain you and you will gain
some education at the same time.

Like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?

<Like "Joe's Garage"!>

Seeing as I once freaked out somewhere in Kansas, I nominate "Help, I'm
A Rock".

Frank Reid
January 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM
> I was starting to wonder if that was either the Miller Barebeerbear
> Virus or just senility. <BSEG>

Whippersnapper! Throw a Bud at him and stick him in Country Bear Jamboree
for 24 hours.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

SnakeFiddler
January 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:51:11 -0500, "SnakeFiddler"
> > wrote:
>

> >Except for Warren's suggestions, and Uncle Wayno's inclusion of Roy
Orbison,

> How can anyone not like Roy Orbison ?

By possessing good taste in music ;}
How about a little good jazz in there, like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, or
my girl, Billie Holiday- well maybe not Billie while your driving. You
might take a notion to drive yourself off a cliff!

Snake-

Jeff Miller
January 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
you've been to hazel creek with wolfgang and bob patton too?

jeff

Kevin Vang wrote:
> In article <WTZRb.2462$fZ6.89@lakeread06>,
> says...
>
>>damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure vexed up
>>and often confuse my beers with bears.
>

> If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
> contents, it's probably a *bear*. If it does that to you, it's
> most likely a bear.
>
> HTH,
> Kevin

SnakeFiddler
January 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
"Warren" > wrote in message
> wrote...
> > Except for Warren's suggestions,
>
> Hey now! Open your sock drawer and impale yourself! <g>
> --
> Warren (how was that for a polite "Go **** yourself"? :-)
> (use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
> For Conclave Info:
> http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.

>>Warren Wrote:
>>Open your sock drawer and impale yourself!

Cleverly composed Warren, but I don't plan on making any road trips in the
near future, so, NO!

Snakefiddler- ;-)

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure vexed up
> and often confuse my beers with bears.
>
> jeff, a/k/a "flatus aurelius" (who, after consuming beer, becomes quite
> unbearable... am i making scents?)

No sweat, Jeff, no one with any sense at all expects someone named Miller to
know the difference between zymurgy and zoology. :)

Wolfgang
i'm from milwaukee and i ought'a know.

Lat705
January 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Glad no one staying at the NC cabin named Debby Boone's "you light up my life"
and any Laurence Welk stuff.

Lou T

Wayne Harrison
January 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM
"Kevin Vang" > wrote

> > If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
> > contents, it's probably a bear. If it does that to you, it's
> > most likely a bear.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Kevin
>

> D'oh! Let's try that again:

hilarious, though no doubt extremely frustrating.

yfitons
wayno (i laughed to the point of exhaustion)

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM
> you've been to hazel creek with wolfgang and bob patton too?
>
> jeff

A point of clarification; it was the general who evinced an eagerness to
twist the head off that bear, whilst I damned near did the same to my own in
searching for the brute as it was stalking us. :(

Wolfgang
lions and tigers......

Big Dale
January 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Wayno had some great suggestions, but I would have to include some others as
well .Among these would be Jimi Hendrix...I love starting out the day by
listening his concerts stuff before daybreak.for some great boot scooting music
you might try Merle Haggard's Live at Billy Bob's Texas CD. I also like a
little rock a billy, so I would add the archive CD of The Stray Cats ( you
gotta love cut 14 Fishnet stockings).I would also include some Grateful Dead
such as the old live album which starts with Bertha and includes Me&My Uncle,
Big Boss Man, and Me & Bobby Mcgee. As flyfishermen, you gota have some Jimmy
Buffett...Songs You Know By Heart is a good one. For another flyfisherman my I
suggest Crossroads II by Eric Clapton which is 4 CD set of stuff recorded live
in the 70"s. As a Texas boy, you need more stuff from our great state such as
the ZZ Top Six Pack which is their first 6 albums, anything by SRV, and some
Flatlanders and Joe Ely.

If this list seems long, so is the trip. Seems like I brought 45 CDs to Waldo's
Spring Fling. It takes me 3 days to drive to West Yellowstone from Dallas and I
live a hell of a long way from Indian Joe.

Big Dale

Big Dale

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
"Kevin Vang" > wrote in message

> If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
> contents, it's probably a [black] bear. If it does that to you, it's
> most likely a [grizzly] bear.

Ed.

JR
January 29th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Joe McIntosh wrote:

> My standard traveling cd collection is about worn out---Yanni,Hank Williams
> Sr.,Andrea Bocelli,John Tesh, and Leadbelly. Need something new.
> Big Dale and some of you long trip folks how about suggesting your top five
> selections for a 6000 mile trip to western clave.

Oscar Peterson's jam at Montreux '77 makes a fine addition to any "to
the river" mix, and Professor Longhair to the "going home" collection.

JR
(who never thought he'd live to read ".....John Tesh, and Leadbelly" but
is kinda glad he did).

Scott Seidman
January 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Jeff Miller > wrote in news:WTZRb.2462$fZ6.89
@lakeread06:

> damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure vexed up
> and often confuse my beers with bears.

A German tour guide in Tubingen once told the tour group I was on about how
the moat that surrounded a certain castle wouldn't hold water, so they
filled it with beers.

Scott

riverman
January 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> Glad no one staying at the NC cabin named Debby Boone's "you light up my
life"
> and any Laurence Welk stuff.
>
> Lou T

Actually, someone ought to make a "Worst of All Time" music CD for the
clave, just to see who:
a) gets caught tapping their foot
b) is the first to lose their cool and frisbee the disk into the river
c) blurts out "Hey, I <like> that song! What's it doing on this CD?"
d) gets caught singing along with the correct words

Whoever loses by being caught doing one of the above has to do something
embarrasing...
--riverman

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
. 1.4...
> @lakeread06:
>
> > damn...ever since the camping trauma on hazel creek, i get pure
vexed up
> > and often confuse my beers with bears.
> >

> A German tour guide in Tubingen once told the tour group I was on
about how
> the moat that surrounded a certain castle wouldn't hold water, so
they
> filled it with beers.

Counterproductive. If you want to keep people OUT, it were better to
fill it with bears.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> "Lat705" > wrote in message
> > Glad no one staying at the NC cabin named Debby Boone's "you light
up my
> life"
> > and any Laurence Welk stuff.
> >
> > Lou T
> >

> Actually, someone ought to make a "Worst of All Time" music CD for
the
> clave, just to see who:
> a) gets caught tapping their foot
> b) is the first to lose their cool and frisbee the disk into the
river
> c) blurts out "Hey, I <like> that song! What's it doing on this CD?"
> d) gets caught singing along with the correct words
>
> Whoever loses by being caught doing one of the above has to do
something
> embarrasing...

Superfluous. Anyone caught doing one of the above already HAS done
something embarrassing.

Wolfgang
who will not be bringing any of his william shatner cds to any future
claves.

JR
January 29th, 2004, 02:33 PM
bruiser wrote:

> Tony Rice, Alison Kraus (Two Highways or New Favorite or Live), Robert Earl
> Keen, Neko Case. Derailers. LUCINDA.

A man who knows what to capitalize.

But is she skagged entirely out now or what? Took me five listens
before her last CD sounded quite right, and even now a couple four beers
don't hurt to get in the right mood. I'd put the first CD and Car
Wheels on any road mix, and parts of later ones, but after a good
skunking the last one might make me want to drive the rig into a bridge
piling.....

JR

Charlie Choc
January 29th, 2004, 02:56 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:51:11 -0500, "SnakeFiddler"
> wrote:

> And let's not forget R&B.

King Floyd, Bobby Blue Bland, Curtis Mayfield, Isley Brothers, Jackie
Wilson, The Pointer Sisters, Slim Harpo and Chris Kenner are all on my
playlist. I have about 30 mix CD's I used to use but any more I just
use my laptop and a cassette adapter for road music.
--
Charlie...

bruiser
January 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM
"rw" > wrote in

(snip)

sounds like you need to get a copy of "The Ballad of Sally Rose"!

bruce h

Wayne Harrison
January 29th, 2004, 03:15 PM
"bruiser" > wrote

Alison Kraus (Two Highways or New Favorite or Live),

ak&union station might just be the best band in contemporary popular
music. but, i swear, i just don't get that blacktop fever feeling listening
to the girl sing. now, lying around with an early buzz, waitin' to get
laid, that's a whole 'nother thang...

yfitons
wayno

bruiser
January 29th, 2004, 03:18 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in

(snip)

My hat's off to you Wayne.

But please, please, add "Nashville Skyline" and keep it to the first two
Dire Straits records only. My favorite Linda R is "Hasten Down the Wind"
but I like the older stuff too.

Tony Rice, Alison Kraus (Two Highways or New Favorite or Live), Robert Earl
Keen, Neko Case. Derailers. LUCINDA.

Hank Senior.

Joe Ely's first record is a classic, as well as "Twistin in the Wind".

Tenacious D is pretty great also.

OK, I'll quit now.

bruce h

slenon
January 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Have yet to see much of what lives in my CD players:

Grateful Dead, live shows ( the album you mentioned, Dale, is called
Grateful Dead )
Taj Mahal
David Grisman Quintet
Shel Silverstein
Leon Redbone
Qweskin Jug Band
Tommy Dorsey
Thelonius Monk
Artie Shaw
Bennie Goodman
Dave Brubeck
Jimmy Buffet ( mention noted)
Beausoliel

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Big Dale
January 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM
bruce h wrote:snip>Joe Ely's first record is a classic, as well as "Twistin in
the Wind".

I like his early stuff as well, but he is best live. My favorite CDs are Live
Shots and Live at Liberty Lunch. I have not listened to the new Flatlanders CD
that was released this week. Some of their best wok is when Jimmie Dale gilmore
is singing on a song written by Butch Hancock and Joe playing acoustic or dobro
and it don't hurt if Ponty Bone is playing that old squeeze box.

Big Dale

Charlie Choc
January 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:16:20 GMT, daytripper
> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 04:21:50 GMT, "Tim J." >
>wrote:
>

>>"DW Dawg" wrote...
>>> CCR, Pink Floyd, and Frank Zappa will entertain you and you will gain some
>>> education at the same time.
>>
>>Like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?
>
>Like "Joe's Garage"!

"One two three four, let's see if you got some more".
--
Charlie...

Russell
January 29th, 2004, 05:06 PM
bruiser wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in
>
> (snip)
>
> sounds like you need to get a copy of "The Ballad of Sally Rose"!

I was completely blown away by "The Ballad of Sally Rose" when I first
heard it. It is still one of my favorite album--of any kind of music and
I lots of music.

Russell

Who thinks that wayno's list is just about as good as it gets. Just
specify early Jackson Brown and when you say early Fleetwood Mac you
mean stuff like "Bare Trees" and "Kiln House" (at least that's what I
hopin' ya mean :-) )

daytripper
January 29th, 2004, 08:34 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:21:02 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" > wrote:

>"Kevin Vang" > wrote
>
>> > If you twist its top off with your bare hands and consume the
>> > contents, it's probably a bear. If it does that to you, it's
>> > most likely a bear.
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Kevin
>>

>> D'oh! Let's try that again:
>

> hilarious, though no doubt extremely frustrating.
>
>yfitons
>wayno (i laughed to the point of exhaustion)

yeah, but you're easy ;-)

daytripper
January 29th, 2004, 08:45 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:51:08 -0500, Charlie Choc
> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:16:20 GMT, daytripper
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 04:21:50 GMT, "Tim J." >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"DW Dawg" wrote...
>>>
>>>Like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?
>>
>>Like "Joe's Garage"!
>
>"One two three four, let's see if you got some more".

It is a pretty weird riff disk - but imagine History without it.

/daytripper (I used it to terrify my neighborhood. Perfect ;-)

Joshua Rosenblatt
January 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:56:35 GMT, "Joe McIntosh"
> wrote:

>Down to 38 degrees and raining here [Wilmington N.C.] yesterday [worse day
>of winter this year] so i [for wayno] started planning for summer fishing
>trips. Have plenty of sardines and manhattans , my white buffalo [gmc van]
>has new shocks, will get new wading boots from waldo, so I am ready to go
>except---
>My standard traveling cd collection is about worn out---Yanni,Hank Williams
>Sr.,Andrea Bocelli,John Tesh, and Leadbelly. Need something new.
>Big Dale and some of you long trip folks how about suggesting your top five
>selections for a 6000 mile trip to western clave.
>

>If anyone is interested in mailing me a cd copy of their favorites--i would
>be glad to pay your costs plus maybe the cost of a case of your favorite
>beer.
>
>Indian Joe--looking for the sun and some good sounds.

My tastes change radically but here's what's in the Rover right
now....
Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue 1975 tour (disc 1 is awesome!)
The Band's Big Pink
Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street
JJ Cale's Troubadour
David Bromberg's Wanted Dead or Alive
Dr John's Gumbo

SnakeFiddler
January 29th, 2004, 11:32 PM
"slenon" > wrote in message
. ..
> Have yet to see much of what lives in my CD players:
>
> Grateful Dead, live shows ( the album you mentioned, Dale, is called
> Grateful Dead )
> Taj Mahal
> David Grisman Quintet
> Shel Silverstein
> Leon Redbone
> Qweskin Jug Band
> Tommy Dorsey
> Thelonius Monk
> Artie Shaw
> Bennie Goodman
> Dave Brubeck
> Jimmy Buffet ( mention noted)
> Beausoliel
>

> --
> Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
> Drowning flies to Darkstar
>
> http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm
>Steve Lenon wrote:
(snip)
> >.....Beausoliel...

Alright- a little taste of cajun- very nice.
However, we are still missing:
The Spinners
Blue Magic
The Stylistics
The Four Tops
The Temps

Snakefiddler- and why not some Steely Dan?

SnakeFiddler
January 29th, 2004, 11:45 PM
"SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message

> "slenon" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > ((snipped)> >
> >
> > --
> > Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
> > Drowning flies to Darkstar
> >
> > http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm
> >Steve Lenon wrote:
> (snip)
> > >.....Beausoliel...
>
> Alright- a little taste of cajun- very nice.
> However, we are still missing:
> The Spinners
> Blue Magic
> The Stylistics
> The Four Tops
> The Temps
>
> Snakefiddler- and why not some Steely Dan?

Snakefiddler Wrote:
(snipped)

Oh yea, how could I forget Gillian Welch. My favorite- Red Clay Halo ;)

Warren
January 30th, 2004, 12:07 AM
wrote...
> Cleverly composed Warren, but I don't plan on making any road trips in the
> near future, so, NO!

I am sure that your OBGYN will be disappointed to hear that. My
music and your "road trips" could be very profitable to her/him. <g>
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

SnakeFiddler
January 30th, 2004, 12:33 AM
"Warren" > wrote in message
> wrote...
> > Cleverly composed Warren, but I don't plan on making any road trips in
the
> > near future, so, NO!
>
> I am sure that your OBGYN will be disappointed to hear that. My
> music and your "road trips" could be very profitable to her/him. <g>
> --

LOL ;))

Snake- ob-gyn? oh, ****, that reminds me.......

> Warren
> (use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
> For Conclave Info:
> http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Bob Patton
January 30th, 2004, 01:27 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> > you've been to hazel creek with wolfgang and bob patton too?
> >
> > jeff
>
> A point of clarification; it was the general who evinced an eagerness to
> twist the head off that bear, whilst I damned near did the same to my own
in
> searching for the brute as it was stalking us. :(
>
> Wolfgang
> lions and tigers......

Hell. All I wanted was a little underfur for dubbing material. I figger the
bear was about half the size of Wolfgang, but looked sort of like Miller. I
agree that it was pretty clearly stalking us. And it was clearly a pretty
smart critter, because it knew that if we were in the east, and it ran west
fast enough, it would eventually come right up behind us and have its way
with Wolfie. And if it had its way with Wolfie, what would I do for a
tent-mate?

Which head are you talking about twisting? :-))
Bob

Stan Gula
January 30th, 2004, 01:43 AM
"Joshua Rosenblatt" > wrote in message
> My tastes change radically but here's what's in the Rover right
> now....
> Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue 1975 tour (disc 1 is awesome!)
> The Band's Big Pink
> Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street
> JJ Cale's Troubadour
> David Bromberg's Wanted Dead or Alive
> Dr John's Gumbo

Lots of good music, but nobody mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Jimmie.
Or Jimi Hendrix.
Or ZZTop.

bruiser
January 30th, 2004, 02:54 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in

>lying around with an early buzz, waitin' to get
> laid, that's a whole 'nother thang...

once again, my hat is off to you :-)

bruce h

bruiser
January 30th, 2004, 02:56 AM
"Big Dale" > wrote in

> that was released this week. Some of their best wok is >when Jimmie Dale
gilmore
> is singing on a song written by Butch Hancock and Joe >playing acoustic or
dobro
> and it don't hurt if Ponty Bone is playing that old >squeeze box.

You are a true (West) Texan Dale! If I had to pick just one state for music
it would be TX hands down.

bruce h

Big Dale
January 30th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Joshua wrote:snip>Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue 1975 tour (disc 1 is
awesome!)
>The Band's Big Pink
>Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street

Great stuff and thanks for mentioning The Band's Big Pink. A couple of DC's
that live in the truck are The band's Live from Watkins Glen and Stripped from
The Rolling Stones.

Big Dale

SnakeFiddler
January 30th, 2004, 10:42 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
. com...

> "bruiser" > wrote
>
> Alison Kraus (Two Highways or New Favorite or Live),
>
> ak&union station might just be the best band in contemporary popular
> music. but, i swear, i just don't get that blacktop fever feeling
listening
> to the girl sing. now, lying around with an early buzz, waitin' to get
> laid, that's a whole 'nother thang...
>
> yfitons
> wayno

Well, there ain't nothin to do
And there's always room for more
Fill it, light it, shut up
And close the door
Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama
And put a good buzz on........

Anybody name that tune/artist? No fair lookin it up ;)

Snake- dating myself-

Wolfgang
January 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
"Bob Patton" <rwpmailatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> Hell. All I wanted was a little underfur for dubbing material. I
figger the
> bear was about half the size of Wolfgang, but looked sort of like
Miller. I
> agree that it was pretty clearly stalking us. And it was clearly a
pretty
> smart critter, because it knew that if we were in the east, and it
ran west
> fast enough, it would eventually come right up behind us and have
its way
> with Wolfie. And if it had its way with Wolfie, what would I do for
> tent-mate?
>
> Which head are you talking about twisting? :-))

Whichever one the bear would have had its way with. :(

Wolfgang

Joe McIntosh
January 30th, 2004, 01:26 PM

> Well, there ain't nothin to do
> And there's always room for more
> Fill it, light it, shut up
> And close the door
> Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama
> And put a good buzz on........
>
> Anybody name that tune/artist? No fair lookin it up ;)
>
> Snake- dating myself-

Indian Joe guesses----think i missed most of the drug period as i was in
Korea saving the world for the hippies--but think that may be Burl Ives
singing in his Key West Morning album

Francis Reid
January 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
> Well, there ain't nothin to do
> And there's always room for more
> Fill it, light it, shut up
> And close the door
> Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama
> And put a good buzz on........
>
> Anybody name that tune/artist? No fair lookin it up ;)
>
> Snake- dating myself-

Jonathan Edwards in the Friday Song.
Frank Reid

bruiser
January 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM
"JR" > wrote in message

> But is she skagged entirely out now or what? Took me >five listens
> before her last CD sounded quite right, and even now a

I think her style has "distilled" with each subsequent record. Emmylou and
Nanci Griffith's albums have proceeded in a similar fashion ie each new
record sounds a little more spare and simple than the last. Wrecking Ball
by Emmylou is a good example.

Lucinda's debut record on Rough Trade, entitled "Lucinda Williams" is
brilliant and Heidi loves the even older "Happy Woman Blues" on the Folkways
label.

bruce h

JR
January 30th, 2004, 04:19 PM
bruiser wrote:

> "JR" > wrote in message
> >
> > But is she skagged entirely out now or what?
>
> I think her style has "distilled" with each subsequent record.

If distilled means melted down to grim, dark anguish, no argument. <g>

> Lucinda's debut record on Rough Trade, entitled "Lucinda Williams" is
> brilliant and Heidi loves the even older "Happy Woman Blues" on the Folkways
> label.

I agree her first three albums were absolutely brilliant. Even the
current stuff is great; it's just I have to make sure I've had an
attitude adjustment (and have got the suicide hotline number at hand
just in case) before hitting the play button.

JR

Charlie Choc
January 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:15:08 GMT, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

>> now, lying around with an early buzz, waitin' to get
>laid, that's a whole 'nother thang...

Which reminds me that I forgot to include Van the man on my list.
"Sweet Thing" is an excellent song for *that* thang. <g>
--
Charlie...

George Adams
January 30th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Took a six hour road trip this AM, and in reviewing my in-car cd collection, I
discovered several of my road music favorites that I don't recall seeing
mentioned here. In no particular order:
Buck Owens, Marty Robbins, Buddy Holly,
Patsy Cline, and Warren Zevon.

Also for traditional country fans there is a Webb Pierce tribute cd by
contemporary country and bluegrass artists titled "Caught in the Webb", that is
very good.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Bob Weinberger
January 30th, 2004, 08:50 PM
"SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message
<snip>

> Snake- dating myself-

You REALLY don't need to inform us each time you make use of the implements
in your sock drawer.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

daytripper
January 31st, 2004, 01:09 AM
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:26:20 GMT, "Joe McIntosh" >
wrote:

>> Well, there ain't nothin to do
>> And there's always room for more
>> Fill it, light it, shut up
>> And close the door
>> Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama
>> And put a good buzz on........
>>
>> Anybody name that tune/artist? No fair lookin it up ;)
>>
>> Snake- dating myself-
>
>Indian Joe guesses----think i missed most of the drug period as i was in
>Korea saving the world for the hippies

Thanks, Joe!

/daytripper (who gives respect when respect is due ;-)

Wolfgang
January 31st, 2004, 02:36 AM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message

> ....My standard traveling cd collection is about worn out---Yanni,Hank
Williams
> Sr.,Andrea Bocelli,John Tesh, and Leadbelly. Need something new....

Hm.....two and a half days and no one has mentioned Savoy Brown, Queen,
Janis, Stan Rogers, Tull, ELP, Zeppelin, Iris Dement, Bill Monroe, Annie
Lennox, Lester Flat, Les Paul, Bloodrock, Credence, the Ventures, Aretha,
Inti Illimani, Bobby Darin......whew.....etc. I guess ya'll don't travel
much, huh? :)

Wolfgang

Frank Reid
January 31st, 2004, 02:38 AM
> >Indian Joe guesses----think i missed most of the drug period as i was in
> >Korea saving the world for the hippies
>
> Thanks, Joe!
>
> /daytripper (who gives respect when respect is due ;-)

Just talking about hippies today. My daughter has become enamored of
Simon's Rock College of Bard (Mass). Looking at the Princeton Review, the
folks at this place would consider hippies as uptight right wingers.
Anyone heard of this school?

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Danl
January 31st, 2004, 03:07 AM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message
> Down to 38 degrees and raining here [Wilmington N.C.] yesterday [worse day
> of winter this year] so i [for wayno] started planning for summer
fishing
> trips. Have plenty of sardines and manhattans , my white buffalo [gmc
van]
> has new shocks, will get new wading boots from waldo, so I am ready to go
> except---
> My standard traveling cd collection is about worn out---Yanni,Hank
Williams
> Sr.,Andrea Bocelli,John Tesh, and Leadbelly. Need something new.
> Big Dale and some of you long trip folks how about suggesting your top
five
> selections for a 6000 mile trip to western clave.
>

> If anyone is interested in mailing me a cd copy of their favorites--i
would
> be glad to pay your costs plus maybe the cost of a case of your favorite
> beer.
>
> Indian Joe--looking for the sun and some good sounds.

Good Gawd Awmighty, Joe!! John Tesh??? YANNI???? Please don't listen to
THAT and drive. Even at your tender young age, you're sure to be droned to
sleep at the wheel. Oh well, your taste in "music" ain't any worse than
Warren's, I spect.

Knowing that your trip was from Carolina to Montana, any good Samaritan on
this NG would have, should have, recommended The Marshall Tucker Band's
"Searchin for a Rainbow" album. Also take The Allmon Bros. "The Road Goes on
Forever", Lynyrd Skynyrd's live album, Cream's "Disraeli Gears", and any
good Leo Kotke CD.

Travel safe,
Danl

Yanni, for Gawd's sake....................

Wolfgang
January 31st, 2004, 03:17 AM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> > >Indian Joe guesses----think i missed most of the drug period as i was
in
> > >Korea saving the world for the hippies
> >
> > Thanks, Joe!
> >
> > /daytripper (who gives respect when respect is due ;-)
>
> Just talking about hippies today. My daughter has become enamored of
> Simon's Rock College of Bard (Mass). Looking at the Princeton Review, the
> folks at this place would consider hippies as uptight right wingers.
> Anyone heard of this school?

Nope, never heard of it......but I sure would like to meet some of those
folks.

Wolfgang
who's got a shiny new nickel says their tie dye wouldn't run in the rain.
:)

Stan Gula
January 31st, 2004, 03:36 AM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> Just talking about hippies today. My daughter has become enamored of
> Simon's Rock College of Bard (Mass). Looking at the Princeton Review, the
> folks at this place would consider hippies as uptight right wingers.
> Anyone heard of this school?

Yup. Very small, very liberal. Beautiful location. Attracts rich, arty
kids from NYC who want to go to school 'in the country' (not that there's
anything wrong with that). There's a nice trout stream running through
town - unfortunately full of PCBs, but that makes for some nice holdovers.
Very good micro brewery. The stream turns into a great smallie river just
across the CT border... OK, I know the river better than I know the
school - this isn't alt.liberal.arts.college.review, is it?

She should also check out Hampshire College - another super liberal school,
but part of the 5 College Consortium so she could take classes at Mt.
Holyoke, Smith, Amherst or UMass. Also near a couple of nice trout streams
and a good little tailwater.

--Stan
See, you knew all that moose stew would pay off somehow...

George Adams
January 31st, 2004, 03:45 AM
>From: "Stan Gula"

>"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message

>My daughter has become enamored of
>> Simon's Rock College of Bard (Mass). Looking at the Princeton Review, the
>> folks at this place would consider hippies as uptight right wingers.
>> Anyone heard of this school?

>She should also check out Hampshire College - another super liberal school,
>but part of the 5 College Consortium so she could take classes at Mt.
>Holyoke, Smith, Amherst or UMass. Also near a couple of nice trout streams
>and a good little tailwater.

One of the streams is the one where you and Gary McKeekin were playing with
those nice rainbows during "Mass Hysteria". The tailwater is the one that Tim
J. has posted a number of pictures of various locations. Not world class
fishing, but you could do worse, and the woods around here are full of
roffians.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

rw
January 31st, 2004, 06:41 AM
Danl wrote:

> Yanni, for Gawd's sake....................

Handel's Water Music.

Big Dale
January 31st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Dan'l wrote:snip>Good Gawd Awmighty, Joe!! John Tesh??? YANNI???? Please don't
listen to
>THAT and drive. Even at your tender young age, you're sure to be droned to
>sleep at the wheel.

I was wondering when someone would mention Asleep At The Wheel. You gotta love
that western swing stuff. While you are at it why not some Bob Wills? Better
get some more Hank Williams...the older some of this stuff, the better. One
special recording is the old Patsy Cline record recorded at The Cimmeron
Ballroom which wat her first concert after the car wreck. She was singing off
key and her voice was cracking. No one would have had the balls to release that
these days...they would have gone in the studio and fixed all of the problems
that make it so special. Take some more bluegrass music and don't forget BB
King for some great blues.

Big Dale

slenon
January 31st, 2004, 03:25 PM
>Take some more bluegrass music and don't forget BB
>King for some great blues.
>Big Dale

Robert Johnson for blues, Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker for the periods
between coffee.
Hot Tuna, Old and In the Way, Old & In the Gray, Peter Rowan, Peter Rowan
and Jerry Douglas for those lonesome highway breakdowns.
--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

rw
January 31st, 2004, 04:16 PM
slenon wrote:

> Robert Johnson for blues, Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker for the periods
> between coffee.

Check out the Robert Cray Band.

slenon
January 31st, 2004, 06:06 PM
RW:
>Check out the Robert Cray Band.

They are fun to listen to. There's such a wealth of music. Streamside, in
addition to some great Dark Stars, I'm also quite fond of Bach!

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Mike
February 1st, 2004, 05:53 AM
ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Allmans, Little Feat, Marshal Tucker, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet,
Wet Willie, Stevie Ray, Fabulous T-birds, Southern Rock gotta love it Some
Doors, Clapton, Black Oak Arkansas, Eleventh Section, almost anything except
rap, punk, any of that head banging **** or pop

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Frank Reid
February 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM
> ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Allmans, Little Feat, Marshal Tucker, Outlaws, Molly
Hatchet,
> Wet Willie, Stevie Ray, Fabulous T-birds, Southern Rock gotta love it Some
> Doors, Clapton, Black Oak Arkansas, Eleventh Section, almost anything
except
> rap, punk, any of that head banging **** or pop
> Handyman Mike
> Standing in a river waving a stick

Ah, I figured you for a Linda Ronstadt kinda guy. :-)
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Bob Patton
February 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> > ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Allmans, Little Feat, Marshal Tucker, Outlaws, Molly
> Hatchet,
> > Wet Willie, Stevie Ray, Fabulous T-birds, Southern Rock gotta love it
Some
> > Doors, Clapton, Black Oak Arkansas, Eleventh Section, almost anything
> except
> > rap, punk, any of that head banging **** or pop
> > Handyman Mike
> > Standing in a river waving a stick
>
> Ah, I figured you for a Linda Ronstadt kinda guy. :-)
> --
> Frank Reid
> Reverse email to reply

Lots of good ideas - but I didn't see Roy Acuff, Stanley Brothers, Doc
Watson, Townes Van Zandt, or, of course, The Fantastic Baggys.
I'd suggest some of The Dixie Chicks' work, especially their stuff from
their "Thank Heavens for Dale Evans" and "Little Ol Cowgirl" disks in 1992.
Bob

snakefiddler
February 8th, 2004, 10:44 PM
"Bob Weinberger" > wrote in message

> "SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> >
> > Snake- dating myself-
> >

> You REALLY don't need to inform us each time you make use of the
implements
> in your sock drawer.

O.K., this is my first time seeing this, as I was off ROFF for a while-
that's a good one, Bob

Snake-LOL

> --
> Bob Weinberger
> La, Grande, OR
>
> place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

snakefiddler
February 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> (SNIP)
> > Handyman Mike
> > Standing in a river waving a stick
>
> Ah, I figured you for a Linda Ronstadt kinda guy. :-)

My guess- that would be our own Uncle Wayno........

Snakefiddler-