PDA

View Full Version : Petition To Rescind PETA's Tax-Exempt Status

Outdoors Magazine
January 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Sign The Petition To rescind PETA's Tax-Exempt Status

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2320

Please forward

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

Francis Reid
January 28th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Outdoors Magazine wrote:

> Sign The Petition To rescind PETA's Tax-Exempt Status
>
> http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2320

Before I sign any petition of this sort, I would like to see chapter and
verse on the laws that they (PITA as an organization, not just
individual members. Its an incorporation thing, don't ya know.) have
broken that would preclude them from getting tax-exempt status. I'm not
a fan of PITA, but just saying "I don't like them so I don't think they
should be tax exempt" is not a valid argument. I don't like organized
religion so should I start a petition to have all churches removed from
the tax exempt roles? How many people have died from the results of
organized religion vs. the results of eco-nuts?
Frank Reid

George Cleveland
January 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:05:21 -0500, Francis Reid > wrote:

>Outdoors Magazine wrote:
>>
>> Sign The Petition To rescind PETA's Tax-Exempt Status
>>
>> http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2320
>
>Before I sign any petition of this sort, I would like to see chapter and
>verse on the laws that they (PITA as an organization, not just
>individual members. Its an incorporation thing, don't ya know.) have
>broken that would preclude them from getting tax-exempt status. I'm not
>a fan of PITA, but just saying "I don't like them so I don't think they
>should be tax exempt" is not a valid argument. I don't like organized
>religion so should I start a petition to have all churches removed from
>the tax exempt roles? How many people have died from the results of
>organized religion vs. the results of eco-nuts?
>Frank Reid

The problem I have with it is that some of the members of Consumer Freedom
are a bigger threat to fishing than PETA, which I consider a minor
annoyance. Consumer Freedom is a lobbying group that supports factory
farming, including salmon farming, developers and has a general anti-clean
air and water agenda. In this case the enemies of my enemies aren't my
friends. A curse on both of them.

g.c.

George Adams
January 28th, 2004, 05:32 PM
(George Cleveland)

>The problem I have with it is that some of the members of Consumer Freedom
>are a bigger threat to fishing than PETA, which I consider a minor
>annoyance.

Trust me, in the areas where PETA has had some success, (MA for one), they are
far more than a "minor annoyance". I don't know jack **** about Consumer
Feedom, so I'll trust you on that one.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Jim Ray
January 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the success
they have had in MA? Other than throwing red dye on fur coats, and getting
the film industry to add the stupid disclaimer that no animals were harmed
during the shooting of this movie, I wasn't aware of any big successes they
have had (but I am probably just not in touch with what they are doing).
Mostly my opinion is that PETA is simply a PITA bunch of veggies that
occasionally file a meritless but sensational lawsuit to get their name in
the news - kind of like the ACLU for animals. (That ought to get a rise).

Jim Ray

--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> (George Cleveland)
>
> >The problem I have with it is that some of the members of Consumer
Freedom
> >are a bigger threat to fishing than PETA, which I consider a minor
> >annoyance.
>
> Trust me, in the areas where PETA has had some success, (MA for one), they
are
> far more than a "minor annoyance". I don't know jack **** about Consumer
> Feedom, so I'll trust you on that one.
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only
dream of
> youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W Muller

rw
January 28th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Jim Ray wrote:

> kind of like the ACLU for animals. (That ought to get a rise).

The ACLU defends EVERYONE's rights under the Constitution, including
yours. Some people see them defending some scumbag, like a Nazi marcher
or a terrorist suspect, and jump the the wrong conclusion.

Wolfgang
January 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM
"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
> Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
success
> they have had in MA? Other than throwing red dye on fur coats, and
getting
> the film industry to add the stupid disclaimer that no animals were
harmed
> during the shooting of this movie, I wasn't aware of any big
successes they
> have had (but I am probably just not in touch with what they are
doing).
> Mostly my opinion is that PETA is simply a PITA bunch of veggies
that
> occasionally file a meritless but sensational lawsuit to get their
name in
> the news - kind of like the ACLU for animals. (That ought to get a
rise).

Unless you've got a long standing habit of inhaling petroleum
products, being stupid is probably not something you accomplished on
your own. That is to say, you were almost certainly born that way.
This being the case, it is difficult to understand why you consider it
a source of pride. Perhaps you could shed some light on this puzzle?

Wolfgang

Jim Ray
January 28th, 2004, 06:45 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Jim Ray" > wrote in message
> > Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
> success
> > they have had in MA? Other than throwing red dye on fur coats, and
> getting
> > the film industry to add the stupid disclaimer that no animals were
> harmed
> > during the shooting of this movie, I wasn't aware of any big
> successes they
> > have had (but I am probably just not in touch with what they are
> doing).
> > Mostly my opinion is that PETA is simply a PITA bunch of veggies
> that
> > occasionally file a meritless but sensational lawsuit to get their
> name in
> > the news - kind of like the ACLU for animals. (That ought to get a
> rise).
>
> Unless you've got a long standing habit of inhaling petroleum
> products, being stupid is probably not something you accomplished on
> your own. That is to say, you were almost certainly born that way.
> This being the case, it is difficult to understand why you consider it
> a source of pride. Perhaps you could shed some light on this puzzle?
>
> Wolfgang

Perhaps "ridiculous" would have been a more appropriate word choice. Then
again, if it makes the PETA folks happy, so be it. I am seldom in the
theatre long enough to see that part of the credits anyway.

Jim Ray

George Adams
January 28th, 2004, 09:56 PM
>"Jim Ray" > wrote in message

> Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
>success
> they have had in MA?

In 1996, using a well funded disinformation campaign, PETA was able to convince
the residents of MA to pass Question 1, which for all practicle purposes
outlawed trapping. There has since been an explosion in the beaver population
that has caused a great amount of damage, and has established thousands of
acres of new mosquito habitat, at a time when West Nile Virus and Eastern
Equine Encephalitis are on the upswing in southern New England.

Question 1 also changed the makeup of the Fisheries and Wildlife Advisory
Board. The board is the final word on hunting and fishing regulations, and the
passage of Question 1 opens the door for PETA candidates to be appointed to the
board. The members of the board serve at the pleasure of the Governor, and thus
far the apointees have been reasonable people who are well versed in
environmental sciences, and tend to leave the decisions to the wildlife
proffesionals. When PETA gains a toehold on the board, it will be the beginning
of the end of hunting and fishing in MA.

Any organization operating against your interests that is as well funded as is
PETA, is quite dangerous.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Tim J.
January 28th, 2004, 10:12 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
>
> > Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
> >success
> > they have had in MA?
>
> In 1996, using a well funded disinformation campaign, PETA was able to
convince
> the residents of MA to pass Question 1, which for all practicle purposes
> outlawed trapping. There has since been an explosion in the beaver population
> that has caused a great amount of damage, and has established thousands of
> acres of new mosquito habitat, at a time when West Nile Virus and Eastern
> Equine Encephalitis are on the upswing in southern New England.
>
> Question 1 also changed the makeup of the Fisheries and Wildlife Advisory
> Board. The board is the final word on hunting and fishing regulations, and the
> passage of Question 1 opens the door for PETA candidates to be appointed to
the
> board. The members of the board serve at the pleasure of the Governor, and
thus
> far the apointees have been reasonable people who are well versed in
> environmental sciences, and tend to leave the decisions to the wildlife
> proffesionals. When PETA gains a toehold on the board, it will be the
beginning
> of the end of hunting and fishing in MA.
>
> Any organization operating against your interests that is as well funded as is
> PETA, is quite dangerous.

Here's another oldie but goodie: http://tinyurl.com/32gmp. Read the "Fish Story"
section.
--
TL,
Tim

Dave LaCourse
January 28th, 2004, 10:24 PM
George writes:\

>In 1996, using a well funded disinformation campaign, PETA was able to
>convince
>the residents of MA to pass Question 1, which for all practicle purposes
>outlawed trapping. There has since been an explosion in the beaver population
>that has caused a great amount of damage, and has established thousands of
>acres of new mosquito habitat, at a time when West Nile Virus and Eastern
>Equine Encephalitis are on the upswing in southern New England.

Also, the anti-trapping law has allowed the coyotes population to rise very
quickly. On an ironical note, the folks closer to Boston and in the hoity
toity towns of Lincoln, Wellsley, and Weston who were for the law, have found
the coyotes killing their poor Fifis and wonder why it is happening.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Wolfgang
January 28th, 2004, 10:30 PM
"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jim Ray" > wrote in message
> > > Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
> > success
> > > they have had in MA? Other than throwing red dye on fur coats, and
> > getting
> > > the film industry to add the stupid disclaimer that no animals were
> > harmed
> > > during the shooting of this movie, I wasn't aware of any big
> > successes they
> > > have had (but I am probably just not in touch with what they are
> > doing).
> > > Mostly my opinion is that PETA is simply a PITA bunch of veggies
> > that
> > > occasionally file a meritless but sensational lawsuit to get their
> > name in
> > > the news - kind of like the ACLU for animals. (That ought to get a
> > rise).
> >
> > Unless you've got a long standing habit of inhaling petroleum
> > products, being stupid is probably not something you accomplished on
> > your own. That is to say, you were almost certainly born that way.
> > This being the case, it is difficult to understand why you consider it
> > a source of pride. Perhaps you could shed some light on this puzzle?
> >
> > Wolfgang
> >

> Perhaps "ridiculous" would have been a more appropriate word choice. Then
> again, if it makes the PETA folks happy, so be it. I am seldom in the
> theatre long enough to see that part of the credits anyway.

Smoke.....not much light.

Wolfgang
o.k., everybody who's surprised, say aye.

Jim Ray
January 28th, 2004, 10:51 PM
--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
>
> > Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
> >success
> > they have had in MA?
>
> In 1996, using a well funded disinformation campaign, PETA was able to
convince
> the residents of MA to pass Question 1, which for all practicle purposes
> outlawed trapping. There has since been an explosion in the beaver
population
> that has caused a great amount of damage, and has established thousands of
> acres of new mosquito habitat, at a time when West Nile Virus and Eastern
> Equine Encephalitis are on the upswing in southern New England.
>
> Question 1 also changed the makeup of the Fisheries and Wildlife Advisory
> Board. The board is the final word on hunting and fishing regulations, and
the
> passage of Question 1 opens the door for PETA candidates to be appointed
to the
> board. The members of the board serve at the pleasure of the Governor, and
thus
> far the apointees have been reasonable people who are well versed in
> environmental sciences, and tend to leave the decisions to the wildlife
> proffesionals. When PETA gains a toehold on the board, it will be the
beginning
> of the end of hunting and fishing in MA.
>
> Any organization operating against your interests that is as well funded
as is
> PETA, is quite dangerous.
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only
dream of
> youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W Muller

George,

Thanks for the info. It is indeed hard to believe that a land settled by
people who hunted and fished for survival now has a growing population
hellbent upon preventing such practices. Good luck fighting the good fight.

Jim Ray

Wolfgang
January 28th, 2004, 11:04 PM
"Jim Ray" > wrote in message

> George,
>
> Thanks for the info. It is indeed hard to believe that a land settled by
> people who hunted and fished for survival now has a growing population
> hellbent upon preventing such practices. Good luck fighting the good
fight.

> Jim Ray

I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned ******s. I
live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves, coyotes,
every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
other competitors who interfered with their rapine. I live in a land
settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or burned to the
ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god. I live in a land with
a growing population hell-bent now upon preventing such practices. Good
luck with the brain damage.

Wolfgang

Darwin Vander Stelt
January 29th, 2004, 12:19 PM
> I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned ******s.
> live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
coyotes,
> every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> other competitors who interfered with their rapine. I live in a land
> settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or burned to the
> ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.

makes a fellow want to write "mea culpa" on his tummy with red paint and
jump off a bridge

Wolfgang
January 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM
"Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message

> > I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned
******s.
> > live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
> coyotes,
> > every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> > other competitors who interfered with their rapine. I live in a land
> > settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or burned to the
> > ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.
>
> makes a fellow want to write "mea culpa" on his tummy with red paint and
> jump off a bridge

Bon voyage.

Wolfgang

riverman
January 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM
"Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message

> > I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned
******s.
> > live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
> coyotes,
> > every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> > other competitors who interfered with their rapine. I live in a land
> > settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or burned to the
> > ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.
>
> makes a fellow want to write "mea culpa" on his tummy with red paint and
> jump off a bridge

...So the Texan says "Remember the Alamo" and tosses the Mexican out.

--riverman

asadi
January 30th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Not only that, but they didn't bathe and their mothers dressed them funny.

john
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Jim Ray" > wrote in message
>
> > George,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. It is indeed hard to believe that a land settled by
> > people who hunted and fished for survival now has a growing population
> > hellbent upon preventing such practices. Good luck fighting the good
> fight.
> >
> > Jim Ray
>
> I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned ******s.
> live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
coyotes,
> every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> other competitors who interfered with their rapine. I live in a land
> settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or burned to the
> ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god. I live in a land
with
> a growing population hell-bent now upon preventing such practices. Good
> luck with the brain damage.
>
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang
January 30th, 2004, 03:29 AM
"asadi" > wrote in message
> Not only that, but they didn't bathe and their mothers dressed them funny.

True, true.

By the way, a friend just lent me a copy of Richard Brautigan's "An
Unfortunate Woman". There is a photo of the author on the front of the dust
jacket. "Hey!", sez I, "I know that guy! I've fished and chased baby deer
with him!" :)

Wolfgang
uncanny!

Sierra fisher
January 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Peta came very close to stoping all planting of fish in Alpine County, CA.
Fishing is the main industry of this very large county with a very tiny
population. Peta claims that the yellow legged frog, which lives in parts
of the Sirerra, is in jeopardy, and wants to stop allfishing above 5000'.
Although there is no evidence tht the frog ever lived in Alpine Co, Peta is
pressing to stop all planting, thereby all fishing. This matter is still
under consideration by the Federal Gov. and the courts.
This is one of the cases where Peta is using the Endangered Species Act to
promote their cause against cruelty to animals. If they succeed, one of the
better fisheries in the Sierra will be closed down. It doesn't bother them
that there is no evidence that the frog ever lived in the county, or that
their action will not effect the survival of the species.

"George Adams" > wrote in message
> >"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
>
> > Please excuse my ignorance on this, but could you detail some of the
> >success
> > they have had in MA?
>
> In 1996, using a well funded disinformation campaign, PETA was able to
convince
> the residents of MA to pass Question 1, which for all practicle purposes
> outlawed trapping. There has since been an explosion in the beaver
population
> that has caused a great amount of damage, and has established thousands of
> acres of new mosquito habitat, at a time when West Nile Virus and Eastern
> Equine Encephalitis are on the upswing in southern New England.
>
> Question 1 also changed the makeup of the Fisheries and Wildlife Advisory
> Board. The board is the final word on hunting and fishing regulations, and
the
> passage of Question 1 opens the door for PETA candidates to be appointed
to the
> board. The members of the board serve at the pleasure of the Governor, and
thus
> far the apointees have been reasonable people who are well versed in
> environmental sciences, and tend to leave the decisions to the wildlife
> proffesionals. When PETA gains a toehold on the board, it will be the
beginning
> of the end of hunting and fishing in MA.
>
> Any organization operating against your interests that is as well funded
as is
> PETA, is quite dangerous.
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only
dream of
> youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W Muller

---

Jim Ray
January 30th, 2004, 04:15 PM
--

> I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned ******s.

Whether you accept the theory of a Bering Land Bridge or not, I am rather
certain that the "Native Americans" that first settled most of North America
were often (though not universally) involved in tribal conflicts which
resulted in the loss of life, I rather doubt that they owned "******s" as
you put it. For more information on the Bering Land Bridge,
www.nativecircle.com/mlmBSmyth.html - 20k
gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ak/his_berin.htm - 69k

> I live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
coyotes,
> every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> other competitors who interfered with their rapine.

I rather doubt that they collected bounties of any sort on animals, but am
willing to concede the point if you can direct me toward appropriate
documentation.

> I live in a land settled by people who considered every acre clear cut or
burned to the
> ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.

I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide spread practice..

> I live in a land with a growing population hell-bent now upon preventing
such practices.

And it's a good thing too!

>Good luck with the brain damage.

Mighty kind of you.

Jim Ray
Just wondering, is it possible you were thinking of European settlers?

> Wolfgang

Whether you accept the theory of a Bering Land Bridge or not, I am rather
certain that the "Native Americans" that first settled most of North America
while often (though not universally) involved in tribal conflicts which
resulted in the loss of life, did not own "******s" as you put it. Further,
I rather doubt that they collected bounties of any sort on animals, but am
willing to concede the point if you can point me toward appropriate
documentation. I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide spread
practice.

Jim Ray
January 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Sorry, the second URL should have been:
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ak/his_berin.htm

Jim Ray

--
"Jim Ray" > wrote in message

> --
> >
> > I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned
******s.

> Whether you accept the theory of a Bering Land Bridge or not, I am rather
> certain that the "Native Americans" that first settled most of North
America
> were often (though not universally) involved in tribal conflicts which
> resulted in the loss of life, I rather doubt that they owned "******s" as
> you put it. For more information on the Bering Land Bridge,
> www.nativecircle.com/mlmBSmyth.html - 20k
> gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ak/his_berin.htm - 69k
>
> > I live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on wolves,
> coyotes,
> > every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and numerous
> > other competitors who interfered with their rapine.
>
> I rather doubt that they collected bounties of any sort on animals, but am
> willing to concede the point if you can direct me toward appropriate
> documentation.
>
> > I live in a land settled by people who considered every acre clear cut
or
> burned to the
> > ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.
>
> I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide spread practice..
>
> > I live in a land with a growing population hell-bent now upon preventing
> such practices.
>
> And it's a good thing too!
>
> >Good luck with the brain damage.
>
> Mighty kind of you.
>

> Jim Ray
> Just wondering, is it possible you were thinking of European settlers?
>

> > Wolfgang
> >

> Whether you accept the theory of a Bering Land Bridge or not, I am rather
> certain that the "Native Americans" that first settled most of North
America
> while often (though not universally) involved in tribal conflicts which
> resulted in the loss of life, did not own "******s" as you put it.
Further,
> I rather doubt that they collected bounties of any sort on animals, but am
> willing to concede the point if you can point me toward appropriate
> documentation. I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide
spread
> practice.

Wolfgang
January 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM
"Jim Ray" > wrote in message

> --
> >
> > I live in a land settled by people who hunted redskins and owned
******s.

> Whether you accept the theory of a Bering Land Bridge or not, I am
rather
> certain that the "Native Americans" that first settled most of North
America
> were often (though not universally) involved in tribal conflicts
which
> resulted in the loss of life, I rather doubt that they owned
"******s" as
> you put it. For more information on the Bering Land Bridge,
> www.nativecircle.com/mlmBSmyth.html - 20k
> gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ak/his_berin.htm - 69k
>
> > I live in a land settled by people who collected bounties on
wolves,
> coyotes,
> > every kind of weasel, eagles and all other raptors, snakes, and
numerous
> > other competitors who interfered with their rapine.
>
> I rather doubt that they collected bounties of any sort on animals,
but am
> willing to concede the point if you can direct me toward appropriate
> documentation.
>
> > I live in a land settled by people who considered every acre clear
cut or
> burned to the
> > ground a tribute to a beneficent and omniscient god.
>
> I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide spread
practice..

> > I live in a land with a growing population hell-bent now upon
preventing
> such practices.
>
> And it's a good thing too!
>
> >Good luck with the brain damage.
>
> Mighty kind of you.
>

> Jim Ray
> Just wondering, is it possible you were thinking of European
settlers?

Thus demonstrating that starting out from born stupid, the only way to
go is stupider.

Wolfgang

George Adams
January 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM
>From: (Greg Pavlov)

>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:15:55 -0500, "Jim Ray" >
>wrote:
>
>>I also doubt that clear cutting or burning was a wide spread
>>practice.

> There is definite evidence that the Mayans and related
> civilizations did do this on a significant scale. And
> I've seen some speculation that there was a fair amount
> of it in eastern North America as well.

In the mid to late nineteenth century, much of central and southern New England
was open farmland, pretty much devoid of forestation. I have seen many pictures
taken during that time that show pstureland as far as the eye can see. The
multitude of stone walls that one encounters in what is now dense woodland bear
mute testimony to what was there 150 years ago.