PDA

View Full Version : Panfish Rod-What Weight??

Ken Fortenberry
January 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Skip Summer wrote:

> ... What
> weight would you folks recommend for
> bluegills? ...

A 3wt is perfect for bluegill.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Skip Summer
January 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
weight would you folks recommend for
bluegills? Thanks Skip

George Adams
January 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM
>From: Ken Fortenberry

>Skip Summer wrote:

>> ... What
>> weight would you folks recommend for
>> bluegills? ...

>A 3wt is perfect for bluegill.

Normally I'd rather eat a ground glass sandwich than agree with Ken, but, in
this case he's right.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Todd Enders
January 28th, 2004, 05:41 PM
In > Skip Summer wrote:
> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> weight would you folks recommend for
> bluegills? Thanks Skip

What sort of water (i.e. lake, small pond, etc.)? Do you
see a lot of wind? If wind isn't an issue, a 2 wt. for small
water, or a 3 wt. for bigger water would be about right (IMHO).
Since a day w/o wind around here is almost unheard of, I'm
partial to an 8' 4 wt. for bluegill. Unless the wind is
*really* up, it works a treat. A 3 wt would be a good compromise
for most folks.

Also, unless you're float-tubing, you'd probably be happier
with a rod of 8' or shorter for bluegill (IMHO).

Todd (remove hook to reply)

Ernie
January 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM
"Skip Summer" > wrote in message
om...
> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> weight would you folks recommend for
> bluegills? Thanks Skip

Skip,
Depends on what the weather conditions are and if you are
fishing from a boat or float tube. Heavy wind = heavier line,
float tube fishing = longer rod.

Wayne Harrison
January 28th, 2004, 11:39 PM
"Skip Summer" > wrote in message
om...
> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> weight would you folks recommend for
> bluegills? Thanks Skip

well, at the risk of offending the posters from such famed bluegill
(well, as we call them, brim) states as illinois and massachussets (haw haw
haw), i have caught brim steady on for hours that weigh from 1 to 2 pounds
that will put a 3wt to a very serious test. the size poppers and muddler
minnows that attract the very big ones will require a 4 or 5 wt, imho.

but i don't know **** about this, compared to the man himself: the
pride of lubbock: the red raiders one and only-------BIG DALE!

yfitons
wayno

Tim J.
January 29th, 2004, 12:05 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
om...

> "Skip Summer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> > weight would you folks recommend for
> > bluegills? Thanks Skip
>
> well, at the risk of offending the posters from such famed bluegill
> (well, as we call them, brim) states as illinois and massachussets (haw haw
> haw), i have caught brim steady on for hours that weigh from 1 to 2 pounds
> that will put a 3wt to a very serious test. the size poppers and muddler
> minnows that attract the very big ones will require a 4 or 5 wt, imho.

I use a 5wt. I find it easier to punch a big fly into a small opening between
the shoreline branches with the heavier weight, and bluegill (okay, brim) are
fiesty enough to be a lot of fun on that weight.

> but i don't know **** . . .

Yeah, well, whaddayagonnado? :)
--
TL,
Tim

Big Dale
January 29th, 2004, 11:52 AM
wayno wrote:> well, at the risk of offending the posters from such famed
bluegill
>(well, as we call them, brim) states as illinois and massachussets (haw haw
>haw), i have caught brim steady on for hours that weigh from 1 to 2 pounds
>that will put a 3wt to a very serious test. the size poppers and muddler
>minnows that attract the very big ones will require a 4 or 5 wt, imho.
>
> but i don't know **** about this, compared to the man himself: the
>pride of lubbock: the red raiders one and only-------BIG DALE!
>
>yfitons
>wayno
since I have never caught a 2 pound bluegill, I will have to defer to you for
this advice. I find a 3 weight rod fine for bluegill that vary from hand sized
to slightly over one pound with size 8 and smaller(but not a whole lot smaller)
flies and wind no more than 10 to 15 miles per hour. Now in March when the wind
seldom drops below 40 mph those 10 weight rods take all the fun out of catching
bluegill. I like the 3 weight rods so I can enjoy catching the size fish that I
catch. I find the 2 weight rods a pain in the ass for casting flies that start
as jigs that get down to where the big guys live.

Big Dale

John Popp
January 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I concur with most that a 3wt fits the bill nicely for fun with the feisty
lil buggers. Sometimes the "gills" off my dock measure upwards of 11". The
big problem arises when there are bass in the area. They like nothing better
than a fighting bream for lunch. If there are bass around a 5wt is called
for.
John Popp
Deltona Fl.

"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
om...

> "Skip Summer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> > weight would you folks recommend for
> > bluegills? Thanks Skip
>
> well, at the risk of offending the posters from such famed bluegill
> (well, as we call them, brim) states as illinois and massachussets (haw
haw
> haw), i have caught brim steady on for hours that weigh from 1 to 2 pounds
> that will put a 3wt to a very serious test. the size poppers and muddler
> minnows that attract the very big ones will require a 4 or 5 wt, imho.
>
> but i don't know **** about this, compared to the man himself: the
> pride of lubbock: the red raiders one and only-------BIG DALE!
>
> yfitons
> wayno

Big Dale
January 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
John Popp wrote:>I concur with most that a 3wt fits the bill nicely for fun
with the feisty
>lil buggers. Sometimes the "gills" off my dock measure upwards of 11". The
>big problem arises when there are bass in the area. They like nothing better
>than a fighting bream for lunch. If there are bass around a 5wt is called
>for.
John Popp

I am seldom successful landing bass over a couple of pounds on my little 3
weight rods. Sure would like to fish off your dock sometime.

Big Dale

Mu Young Lee
January 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Skip Summer wrote:

> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
> weight would you folks recommend for
> bluegills? Thanks Skip

5 wt just in case you hook up with the occasional bass.

Mu

George Adams
January 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM
>From: Mu Young Lee

>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Skip Summer wrote:
>

>> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
>> weight would you folks recommend for
>> bluegills? Thanks Skip

>5 wt just in case you hook up with the occasional bass.

Some say 3 wt, some say 5 wt, and all along, the solution, elegant in it's
simplicity, is right there in front of us....Skip needs a 3 wt AND a 5 wt.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

daytripper
January 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM
On 29 Jan 2004 20:51:51 GMT, (George Adams) wrote:

>>From: Mu Young Lee
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Skip Summer wrote:
>>

>>> Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
>>> weight would you folks recommend for
>>> bluegills? Thanks Skip
>
>>5 wt just in case you hook up with the occasional bass.
>
>Some say 3 wt, some say 5 wt, and all along, the solution, elegant in it's
>simplicity, is right there in front of us....Skip needs a 3 wt AND a 5 wt.

First Rule of Gearwhoredom: Never buy one rod when three will do.

/daytripper (He clearly needs a 3, 5 *and* a 7 to get it right ;-)

Willi
January 30th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> "Skip Summer" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Bluegill on my 7 wt. not much fun. What
>>weight would you folks recommend for
>>bluegills? Thanks Skip
>

> well, at the risk of offending the posters from such famed bluegill
> (well, as we call them, brim) states as illinois and massachussets (haw haw
> haw), i have caught brim steady on for hours that weigh from 1 to 2 pounds
> that will put a 3wt to a very serious test. the size poppers and muddler
> minnows that attract the very big ones will require a 4 or 5 wt, imho.
>
> but i don't know **** about this, compared to the man himself: the
> pride of lubbock: the red raiders one and only-------BIG DALE!
>
> yfitons
> wayno

I'd love to catch some of those two pound gills!

And I'd be glad to listen to most of your tunes on the way, but hell, I
can even listen to Warren's tunes.

Willi

Wayne Harrison
January 30th, 2004, 01:36 AM
"Willi" > wrote

> I'd love to catch some of those two pound gills!

most fun i have ever had in a boat. it was in chapel hill, back in the
late sixties, law school; one of my classmates' father was a faculty member
with a connection to the state fisheries experts. he had this wonderful,
deep pond, about three acres, and he enlisted their aid to create these
monster, almost alien brim: purple and black, as wide as two hands
extended. we caught them on size 6 muddler minnows. they would pull our
aluminum jonboat all over the freaking pond.
other than that, my only contact with brim at near 2lbs has been very
random, with spinning gear while fishing for bass.

yfitons
wayno

> And I'd be glad to listen to most of your tunes on the way, but hell, I
> can even listen to Warren's tunes.
>
> Willi

Big Dale
January 30th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Greg wrote:> and a four, and a short 3 as well as a long 3,
> and a moderate action 5 as well as a fast action
> 5. And let us not forget the ultimate: a two-
> handed 5, suitable for spey casting and ideal for
> nymphing, etc. Oh, and 5- to 7- piece travel
> versions of at least a few of these.
A friend of mine is bringing his two handed six weight rod to The Little
Missouri Fly Fishing Festival in mid Feb.and teaching a class on using that
rod. I am looking forward that class. I guess it should surprise no one that I
have most of the rods that you listed.

Big Dale

John Popp
January 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Right now they are in deep water but when they come in it is a real fun
time. I think the biggest one was 13+", the 4 to 6"ers are the ones the bass
like. The first time, I was bringing in a little bream on the 3wt and all of
a sudden it got heavier, a (about 4lb) bass swirled up under the surface.
What with the bream covering the hook and the light rod, I couldn't get the
hook into the bass. My grandson uses a 5wt and has hooked 6 or 7 of the
puppies (or maybe the same one 6 or 7 times).--
John Popp
Deltona Fl.

"Big Dale" > wrote in
message ...
> John Popp wrote:>I concur with most that a 3wt fits the bill nicely for
fun
> with the feisty
> >lil buggers. Sometimes the "gills" off my dock measure upwards of 11".
The
> >big problem arises when there are bass in the area. They like nothing
better
> >than a fighting bream for lunch. If there are bass around a 5wt is called
> >for.
> John Popp
>
> I am seldom successful landing bass over a couple of pounds on my little 3
> weight rods. Sure would like to fish off your dock sometime.
>
> Big Dale

Big Dale
January 30th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Greg wrote:> I don't, to my everlasting shame: I've been
> concentrating on the heavier end and only now
> have I started to turn my full attention on
> the light gear.

I am still tryng to figure out how I winded up owning two 9 foot and an 8 foot
8 inch three weight rods in addition to my last 3 weight rod purchase which was
an 8.5 foot 3 piece 3 weight rod. This does not count all the 3 weight rods
which are under 8 feet long.

Big Dale

Zimbo
January 31st, 2004, 06:02 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message news:XyiSb.23347

> most fun i have ever had in a boat.... (likely story not involving
women snipped)

Yeah right.

--Steve

Wayne Harrison
January 31st, 2004, 12:53 PM
"Zimbo" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message news:XyiSb.23347
> >
> > most fun i have ever had in a boat.... (likely story not involving
> women snipped)
> >

> Yeah right.
>
> --Steve

just when you think you've given your conscience the slip, there it is
again!
good to know you're still vertical, bud. that new sage of yours should
be just the ticket on early season brim...

:)
yf
wayno