PDA

View Full Version : good deals on hooks?

steve sullivan
January 30th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I am looking for low cost hooks to tie alevins on. I am looking to pay
about $3 -$5 per 100 pack for a size 10, 3x longs 2x or 3x heavy hook.

These absolutely have to be at least 2x strong.

--
"Those that would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor
security." T. Jefferson

Sierra fisher
January 31st, 2004, 05:09 PM
If you can find good hooks for $3 to $5 per hundred, I would like to know
about it. Even the old Mustad models cost about $7. I would guess that in
order to get that price, you would have to order by the 1,000's. The last
time I priced Targus, they were abut $7 for 50...no great deal(that's at
Kienes Fly shop, they may be cheaper elsewhere)

"steve sullivan" > wrote in message
> I am looking for low cost hooks to tie alevins on. I am looking to pay
> about $3 -$5 per 100 pack for a size 10, 3x longs 2x or 3x heavy hook.
>
> These absolutely have to be at least 2x strong.
>
> --
> "Those that would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither liberty
nor
> security." T. Jefferson
> "Those who are ready to sacrifice freedom for security
> ultimately will lose both" - Abraham Lincoln

---

Willi
January 31st, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> If you can find good hooks for $3 to $5 per hundred, I would like to know
> about it. Even the old Mustad models cost about $7. I would guess that in
> order to get that price, you would have to order by the 1,000's. The last
> time I priced Targus, they were abut $7 for 50...no great deal(that's at
> Kienes Fly shop, they may be cheaper elsewhere)

Here's a source, not $5 per hundred but still inexpensive:

http://www.thefishguy.net/hooks.htm#Standard%20Dry%20Fly%A0

Pretty good hooks, IMO. Better than standard Mustads, not quite as good
as Tiemco.

Willi

steve sullivan
February 1st, 2004, 06:43 AM

Well, their is http://www.thefishguy.net
Also, their is http://www.canadianllama.com

--
"He that would exchange liberty for temporary safety
deserves neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
"Those who are ready to sacrifice freedom for security
ultimately will lose both" - Abraham Lincoln

Sierra fisher
February 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM
I have been buying from thefishguy for a few years. I have had a few screw
ups in the orders that he quickly corrected. In general, I am pleased with
his hooks and service.

"steve sullivan" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Sierra fisher" > wrote:
>
> > If you can find good hooks for $3 to $5 per hundred, I would like to
know
> > about it. Even the old Mustad models cost about $7. I would guess that
in
> > order to get that price, you would have to order by the 1,000's. The
last
> > time I priced Targus, they were abut $7 for 50...no great deal(that's at
> > Kienes Fly shop, they may be cheaper elsewhere)
>
> Well, their is http://www.thefishguy.net
> Also, their is http://www.canadianllama.com
>
> --
> "He that would exchange liberty for temporary safety
> deserves neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
> "Those who are ready to sacrifice freedom for security
> ultimately will lose both" - Abraham Lincoln

---

February 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I have gotten good hooks on Ebay for as little as 2.50-3.00 dollars per
hundred. One guy will ship mulitple orders with one shipping charge of
$1.50. Good deals are out there. You just have to look for them. MIKE
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> I have been buying from thefishguy for a few years. I have had a few
screw
> ups in the orders that he quickly corrected. In general, I am pleased
with
> his hooks and service.
>

> "steve sullivan" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Sierra fisher" > wrote:
> >
> > > If you can find good hooks for $3 to $5 per hundred, I would like to
> know
> > > about it. Even the old Mustad models cost about $7. I would guess
that
> in
> > > order to get that price, you would have to order by the 1,000's. The
> last
> > > time I priced Targus, they were abut $7 for 50...no great deal(that's
at
> > > Kienes Fly shop, they may be cheaper elsewhere)
> >
> > Well, their is http://www.thefishguy.net
> > Also, their is http://www.canadianllama.com
> >
> > --
> > "He that would exchange liberty for temporary safety
> > deserves neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
> > "Those who are ready to sacrifice freedom for security
> > ultimately will lose both" - Abraham Lincoln
>

> ---

Larry
February 8th, 2004, 05:20 PM
steve sullivan wrote:

> Well, there is http://www.thefishguy.net
> Also, there is http://www.canadianllama.com

Can't speak for the fish guy, but I have personal experience with
Canadian Llama and I'll tell you, it's VERY positive. It's a one man
operation, and he's really into provinding great service.

I called him and picked up a selection of Llama dubbing and streamer
hair, and was given a sample package of hooks, and they're very nice
quality, but the 200r style hook is a bit heavy wire for my liking...
would make a great nymph or small streamer hook though I wouldn't use it
for stimmys or hoppers unless I was tying them in size 10 or larger. His
dry fly hoks are VERY nice and he also was telling me he now has
available beads FOR SIZE 20 HOOKS... in black, nickel and gold.

Quick shipping, great materials...

Larry

just al
February 25th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Try e-bay. I just bought 400 Dai Riki #8 207's for 30 bucks. Do a search
for the specific style and brand...keep you eye out it may not be here today
but can be tomorrow. You can always resell the extras or have a lifetime
supply...

February 25th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Keep looking..sometimes there are even other deals....I've got #10's and
12's dry fly hooks DaiRiki for $3.00 per hundred a month ago....Mike
"just al" > wrote in message
> Try e-bay. I just bought 400 Dai Riki #8 207's for 30 bucks. Do a search
> for the specific style and brand...keep you eye out it may not be here
today
> but can be tomorrow. You can always resell the extras or have a lifetime
> supply...

Harry
February 26th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Check out www.aussiefly.com.au he does bulk hooks to the states. Cheap too.

Cheers,
"Harry"

"steve sullivan" > wrote in message
> I am looking for low cost hooks to tie alevins on. I am looking to pay
> about $3 -$5 per 100 pack for a size 10, 3x longs 2x or 3x heavy hook.
>
> These absolutely have to be at least 2x strong.
>
> --
> "Those that would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither liberty
nor
> security." T. Jefferson
> "Those who are ready to sacrifice freedom for security
> ultimately will lose both" - Abraham Lincoln

February 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM
eBay is a great place to shop for deals on almost anything imaginable.

Bill Kiene