PDA

View Full Version : for your "inner bargain hunter"

daytripper
February 7th, 2004, 09:25 PM
fwiw, a fellow ff'er at work sent me this link for a good deal on flats
"sneakers".

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E20F15557

/daytripper (another friendly r.o.f.f service ;-)

rw
February 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
On 2004-02-07 14:25:17 -0700, daytripper > said:

> fwiw, a fellow ff'er at work sent me this link for a good deal on flats
> "sneakers".
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E20F15557

It looks like a low-top version of the Patagonia Marlwalkers, which I have,
and which I plan to use very soon.

BTW, when I first wore those expensive Patagonia Marlwalkers at Christmas
Island, I couldn't help but notice that my guides were wearing flip flops.
:-)

Chas Wade
February 7th, 2004, 09:47 PM
rw > wrote:
>On 2004-02-07 14:25:17 -0700, daytripper >
>said:
>
>> fwiw, a fellow ff'er at work sent me this link for a good deal on
>>flats
>> "sneakers".
>>
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E20F15557
>
>It looks like a low-top version of the Patagonia Marlwalkers, which I
>have,
>and which I plan to use very soon.
>
>BTW, when I first wore those expensive Patagonia Marlwalkers at
>Christmas
>Island, I couldn't help but notice that my guides were wearing flip
>flops.
>:-)
I suspect their feet had developed some leather of their own. Those of
us who only get a week a year in warm water need some protection even
from sand.

Wilka, our guide on Grand Bahama wore cheap flip-flops, but the skin on
his feet was a quarter inch thick at least.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Charlie Choc
February 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:47:56 GMT, Chas Wade
> wrote:

>I suspect their feet had developed some leather of their own. Those of
>us who only get a week a year in warm water need some protection even
>from sand.
>
>Wilka, our guide on Grand Bahama wore cheap flip-flops, but the skin on
>his feet was a quarter inch thick at least.

The times I was in Belize, I never saw any of the guides even wear
flip flops.
--
Charlie...

Sierra fisher
February 7th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I used the Simms Flat Sneakers this year and they are comfortable. While
wearing them, I never got stuck by any "uglies" but neither did my guides
who were barefoot. Regardless of what they do, I will continue to have some
protection. there are too many things in the ocean than can lay you up for
a a long time.

"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:47:56 GMT, Chas Wade
> > wrote:
>
> >I suspect their feet had developed some leather of their own. Those of
> >us who only get a week a year in warm water need some protection even
> >from sand.
> >
> >Wilka, our guide on Grand Bahama wore cheap flip-flops, but the skin on
> >his feet was a quarter inch thick at least.
> >
> The times I was in Belize, I never saw any of the guides even wear
> flip flops.
> --
> Charlie...

---

Charlie Choc
February 7th, 2004, 10:58 PM
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:47:41 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
> wrote:

>I used the Simms Flat Sneakers this year and they are comfortable. While
>wearing them, I never got stuck by any "uglies" but neither did my guides
>who were barefoot. Regardless of what they do, I will continue to have some
>protection. there are too many things in the ocean than can lay you up for
>a a long time.

I don't think anyone was suggesting you go barefoot. The people on
Ambergris Caye wear shoes maybe 3 times in their lives, so their feet
are toughened up a bit.
--
Charlie...

daytripper
February 7th, 2004, 11:10 PM
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:43:35 -0700, rw > wrote:

>On 2004-02-07 14:25:17 -0700, daytripper > said:
>
>> fwiw, a fellow ff'er at work sent me this link for a good deal on flats
>> "sneakers".
>>
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?E20F15557
>
>It looks like a low-top version of the Patagonia Marlwalkers, which I have,
>and which I plan to use very soon.
>
>BTW, when I first wore those expensive Patagonia Marlwalkers at Christmas
>Island, I couldn't help but notice that my guides were wearing flip flops.
>:-)

I've mostly been wearing Tevas through three bonefish trips, alternating with
flats boots. The Tevas are easier to wade softer substrates because the soles
are much wider than the boots. Otoh, the boots don't load up with sharp bits.

So I use the Tevas by default, and don the boots if the bottom is hard or
littered with coral or broken up shells...

/daytripper

bruiser
February 8th, 2004, 01:18 AM
I got the Simms flats sneakers at Bass Pro Shops for $29.95 recently....

bruce h