PDA

View Full Version : Free to a good home

Wayne Knight
February 13th, 2004, 01:07 AM
One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(

At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left behind"
book alone.

Kevin Vang
February 13th, 2004, 01:35 AM
In article >,
says...
> One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
> Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(
>
> At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left behind"
> book alone.

Shoot, I thought one of your cane rods needed a new home.

Kevin

troutbum_mt
February 13th, 2004, 01:56 AM
says...
> One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
> Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(

How big is he and what size hook do you think would be best?
--
Warren (you can't beat live bait!)
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Wayne Knight
February 13th, 2004, 02:18 AM
"troutbum_mt" > wrote in message

> How big is he and what size hook do you think would be best?

About 20lbs and I would suggest the Mustad Sea Demon 7731AD 16/0 for a
start.

troutbum_mt
February 13th, 2004, 02:24 AM
says...
> About 20lbs and I would suggest the Mustad Sea Demon 7731AD 16/0 for a
> start.

They say there are some huge lakers in Yellowstone Lake so I was just
wondering. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Frank Reid
February 13th, 2004, 03:00 AM
..> > At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left
behind"
> > book alone.
>

> Shoot, I thought one of your cane rods needed a new home.

I'll take the Sage 2 wt into protective custody, along all the T&Ts.
Frank

Dave LaCourse
February 13th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Warren writes:

>They say there are some huge lakers in Yellowstone Lake so I was just
>wondering. ;-)

Deliberately fish for lakers? Harumph. I caught a 12 pounder (small btw) on
an 8 weight in Labrador. I've seen little brook trout give a better fight.
It was like bringing in a log. Big disappointment. Now, if ya can put that
pooch into some northern pike...........
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Willi
February 13th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> Warren writes:
>

>>They say there are some huge lakers in Yellowstone Lake so I was just
>>wondering. ;-)
>

> Deliberately fish for lakers? Harumph. I caught a 12 pounder (small btw) on
> an 8 weight in Labrador. I've seen little brook trout give a better fight.
> It was like bringing in a log. Big disappointment. Now, if ya can put that
> pooch into some northern pike...........
> Dave

Not always true. Sue and I had backpacked into in small lake in the Wind
River Range and were camped near the outlet of a pretty little lake. I
was fishing the outlet having a ball catching lots of little Brookies
when out of the depths a big laker came up and took the Humpy I was
fishing. It looked like an alligator coming out of the depths after all
the little Brookies. Very cool on a five weight.

Willi

Dave LaCourse
February 13th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Willi writes:

>Not always true. Sue and I had backpacked into in small lake in the Wind
> River Range and were camped near the outlet of a pretty little lake. I
>was fishing the outlet having a ball catching lots of little Brookies
>when out of the depths a big laker came up and took the Humpy I was
>fishing. It looked like an alligator coming out of the depths after all
>the little Brookies. Very cool on a five weight.

On a dry too! I've heard that they will hit a dry once in awhile. I hooked
into one on the Rapid with a nymph - a small nymph - and he used his size, not
his power, to break the 5x tippet. I was using a 9 foot 4 weight and was
surprised that I had him on for so long (maybe three minutes) before he moved
into a slow current and broke off.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Willi
February 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> Willi writes:
>

>>Not always true. Sue and I had backpacked into in small lake in the Wind
>> River Range and were camped near the outlet of a pretty little lake. I
>>was fishing the outlet having a ball catching lots of little Brookies
>>when out of the depths a big laker came up and took the Humpy I was
>>fishing. It looked like an alligator coming out of the depths after all
>>the little Brookies. Very cool on a five weight.
>

> On a dry too! I've heard that they will hit a dry once in awhile. I hooked
> into one on the Rapid with a nymph - a small nymph - and he used his size, not
> his power, to break the 5x tippet. I was using a 9 foot 4 weight and was
> surprised that I had him on for so long (maybe three minutes) before he moved
> into a slow current and broke off.

It was a shock even though the ranger that had told us about the lake
said that there were Lakers in the lake, but I figured they we be in the
deepest water.

I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.

Willi

ezflyfisher
February 13th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Wayne Knight wrote:

> One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
> Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(
>
> At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left behind"
> book alone.

son of a bitch! well, i hear tell of a signed copy.... :-(

wally

Wayne Knight
February 13th, 2004, 04:19 AM
"ezflyfisher" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> son of a bitch! well, i hear tell of a signed copy.... :-(

Not even I can even consider buying that certain signed copy. :(

Dave LaCourse
February 13th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Willi writes:

>I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
>Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.

I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in Main) on
the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\

d;o)

redfishnc
February 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

>snip>
> Not always true. Sue and I had backpacked into in small lake in the Wind
> River Range and were camped near the outlet of a pretty little lake. I
> was fishing the outlet having a ball catching lots of little Brookies
> when out of the depths a big laker came up and took the Humpy I was
> fishing. It looked like an alligator coming out of the depths after all
> the little Brookies. Very cool on a five weight.
>
> Willi

I caught an eight pounder in Lake Charlevoix, Michigan while smallmouth bass
fishing. Caught on a rubber minnow imitation in about 2 feet of water right
after iceout. Was disappointed that it wasn't an eight pound smallmouth.

redfishnc

redfishnc
February 13th, 2004, 04:41 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
> One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
> Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(
>
> At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left
behind"
> book alone.

Back in about 1984 I saved and scraped the money for a Fenwick graphite 5
weight blank. I paid over 200 bucks for the components. Had just finished
applying the finish and had it in the rollers and decided to go for lunch.
Left my yellow Lab "Belle" in the garage while I went for the sandwich.
Returned about an hour later to find she had chewed the graphite into about
5 pieces (this was before those little travel rods were in vogue). The one
I flailed away with was about 2 feet long but it had no effect. She just
stood her ground still ****ed off about not getting her half the sandwich.

redfishnc

troutbum_mt
February 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM
says...
> Deliberately fish for lakers? Harumph. I caught a 12 pounder (small btw) on
> an 8 weight in Labrador. I've seen little brook trout give a better fight.
> It was like bringing in a log. Big disappointment. Now, if ya can put that
> pooch into some northern pike...........

Hell yeah I want to deliberately fish for lakers in Yellowstone Lake.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U28F62467
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H16F25467
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Big Dale
February 13th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Wayne wrote:>About 20lbs and I would suggest the Mustad Sea Demon 7731AD 16/0
for a
>start.

The only rod I know rod that might handle that other that pooch would one of
those big two handed Peter Charles has. He likes to catch northerns dosen't he?

Big Dale

Jeff Miller
February 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM
guess i'm fortunate...when upset with us, our mostly golden "sadie" just
takes a dump in the living room...

pretty considerate, as we don't use that room much.

jeff (also in nc)

redfishnc wrote:
> "Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
>
>>One 9 year old, Starlight Creek Angling Society chewing West Highland
>>Terrier. Take him before I ship him off to a market in asia. :(
>>
>>At least the little **** has good taste, he ignored my wife's "left
>
> behind"
>
>>book alone.
>>

> Back in about 1984 I saved and scraped the money for a Fenwick graphite 5
> weight blank. I paid over 200 bucks for the components. Had just finished
> applying the finish and had it in the rollers and decided to go for lunch.
> Left my yellow Lab "Belle" in the garage while I went for the sandwich.
> Returned about an hour later to find she had chewed the graphite into about
> 5 pieces (this was before those little travel rods were in vogue). The one
> I flailed away with was about 2 feet long but it had no effect. She just
> stood her ground still ****ed off about not getting her half the sandwich.
>
> redfishnc

riverman
February 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> Willi writes:
>
> >I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
> >Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.
>
> I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
Main) on
> the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\

I saw some Outdoor Fisherman special on TV last week, and the guy was
fishing for lakers up in central Saskatchewan. He caught several 50
pounders.....MAN those were huge trout! Anyone here ever got into one of
those?

--riverman

riverman
February 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> Willi writes:
>
> >I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
> >Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.
>
> I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
Main) on
> the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\

I saw some Outdoor Fisherman special on TV last week, and the guy was
fishing for lakers up in central Saskatchewan. He caught several 50
pounders.....MAN those were huge trout! Anyone here ever got into one of
those?

--riverman

Tim J.
February 13th, 2004, 03:08 PM
"riverman" wrote...
> "Dave LaCourse" wrote...
> > Willi writes:
> >
> > >I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
> > >Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.
> >
> > I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
> Main) on
> > the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\
>
> I saw some Outdoor Fisherman special on TV last week, and the guy was
> fishing for lakers up in central Saskatchewan. He caught several 50
> pounders.....MAN those were huge trout! Anyone here ever got into one of
> those?

A friend of mine fishes for lakers a few times each year on the Quabbin. He
tells me that although the fish are huge, they don't fight near as much as a
small brookie.
--
TL,
Tim

Willi
February 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
riverman wrote:
> "Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
>
>>Willi writes:
>>

>>>I caught a couple small Lakers, 1 to 2 pounds, while fishing for
>>>Grayling in northern Saskatchewan and the Grayling were much more fun.
>>
>>I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
>
> Main) on
>
>>the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\
>

> I saw some Outdoor Fisherman special on TV last week, and the guy was
> fishing for lakers up in central Saskatchewan. He caught several 50
> pounders.....MAN those were huge trout! Anyone here ever got into one of
> those?

I fished northern Sask. a couple times. Never got into a big Laker,
mostly 10 pounds or less. However, got into lots of huge Pike many over
20 lbs. Sight fishing for them was awesome, but my favorite fishing
memories of the area were the Grayling.

Willi

Willi
February 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> "riverman" wrote...

>>>I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
>>
>>Main) on
>>
>>>the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\
>>
>>I saw some Outdoor Fisherman special on TV last week, and the guy was
>>fishing for lakers up in central Saskatchewan. He caught several 50
>>pounders.....MAN those were huge trout! Anyone here ever got into one of
>>those?
>

> A friend of mine fishes for lakers a few times each year on the Quabbin. He
> tells me that although the fish are huge, they don't fight near as much as a
> small brookie.

I think it partly depends on how you fish for them. When I was young we
used to fish for them with leadcore lines and weight, trolling as deep
as we could get. Not much fight winching them up from the depths.

However, the ones I've caught on fly gear in shallow water have fought
decently. Nothing exciting but strong.

Willi

Dave LaCourse
February 13th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Willi writes:

>I think it partly depends on how you fish for them. When I was young we
>used to fish for them with leadcore lines and weight, trolling as deep
>as we could get. Not much fight winching them up from the depths.
>
>However, the ones I've caught on fly gear in shallow water have fought
>decently. Nothing exciting but strong.

My first trip to Labrador happened to coincide with some high water, so the
brookies weren't hitting. Our guide decided to take us up-river, into the lake
and fish a tributary. Once we got to this trib (St. Joseph, I think), we had
to travel slowly, so our guide told us to put on streamers and troll for
lakers. Once in awhile we would snag bottom and he would let the boat drift
back and we would get the streamer loose. Joel, my fishing partner, hollered
that he was hung up, so Wilson let the boat drift back. Meanwhile I was
winding up my rig and watching Joel jerk his rod up and down pulling very hard.
When we got near the "snag", Wilson caught my eye, smiled and made a gesture
with his head and eyes toward Joel's "snag". Joel was still jerking his rod up
and down trying to get the fly free or break it. Then, he noticed that the
"snag" was moving. He wasn't sure at first, but when we started to laugh he
knew he didn't have a "snag", and screamed, "It's a f------ fish. It's a
fu.....fish. He managed to land a nice laker probably 30 inches long. I don't
know what size tippet he was using, but it was strong! And we were using only
6 weight rods. That was on a Sunday. On Tuesday morning all hell broke loose
with the brookies when a big caddis hatch came off. We had to cast into the
bushes along the side of the river because of the high water. Challenging, but
we took a lot of big brookies the rest of the week and completely forgot about
Joel and his "fu..... fish".
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

slenon
February 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM
>I've tried for years to hook up Peter Charles to a big laker (Togue in
Main) on
>the Rapid, but all he gets are big salmon and brookies.\
>d;o)

It's a filthy job, but someone has to catch them.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

rw
February 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:

> Our mostly-golden (from the SPCA) named Sadie
> learned, at the age of 15, that if she barks
> in a certain high-pitched off-tone way, she
> drives everyone crazy and almost immediately gets
> exactly what she wants (which usually is to get
> a boost up a flight of stairs she has problems
> with but which she nevertheless insists on
> traversing 10 - 15 times a day). Goldens are
> much tougher dogs than I ever imagined.

They're just about the most trainable breed there is. In Sadie's case,
though, she's trained you.

John Hightower
February 13th, 2004, 07:02 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> I think it partly depends on how you fish for them. When I was young we
> used to fish for them with leadcore lines and weight, trolling as deep
> as we could get. Not much fight winching them up from the depths.
>
> However, the ones I've caught on fly gear in shallow water have fought
> decently. Nothing exciting but strong.
>
> Willi

We used to fish for them with monel (wire) line in 90 feet or more water
with T5 flatfish, we caught the occasional 30 lb fish- It was hard to tell
the difference between them and a snag. I'm told that the smaller (2-5lb)
fish are in the shallows in the spring and can be caught from shore and are
pretty fiesty- I'm not sure if anyone fly fishes for them.
jh

rw
February 13th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:37:45 -0700, rw
> > wrote:
>

>>They're just about the most trainable breed there is. In Sadie's case,
>>though, she's trained you.
>

> You're right. It's hard to be firm with a dog
> that is 16 years old with severe hip dysplasia
> and that has been a part of our family seemingly
> forever. If I try to get her to do something
> she doesn't want to, or vice versa, I feel a bit
> like I'm harassing my grandmother :-)

I know what you mean, but dogs actually like to know who's in charge. If
you reward bad behavior, she'll soon figure out that it's she who's in
charge. A clap of your hands and a "Sadie, go lie down!" will work if
you're patient. And then a food treat or (better yet) just a "Good dog!"
will make her feel very good about it. She might appreciate a really
comfortable dog bed at the foot of the stairs.

My guess is that she's doing it to get attention. You should lavish
attention on her when she's doing something you like.

Is she deaf, by any chance? That makes it much harder. Then you have to
make eye contact.

Or, you can just keep putting up with it.

BTW, I treat my old Golden with Ascriptin when he's feeling aches and
pains. It works pretty well. Never use Tylenol or Ibuprofen or other
non-aspirin-based pain killers. At least, that's what the vet tells me.

daytripper
February 14th, 2004, 01:40 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:35:46 -0700, rw >
wrote:
[snipped]
>BTW, I treat my old Golden with Ascriptin when he's feeling aches and
>pains. It works pretty well. Never use Tylenol or Ibuprofen or other
>non-aspirin-based pain killers. At least, that's what the vet tells me.

And your doctor, if he had a clue, would tell you never to use Tylenol on
yourownself as well...

/daytripper (And if the FDA wasn't bought and paid for, it'd never have
allowed Tylenol on the market...)

daytripper
February 14th, 2004, 01:43 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:09:11 GMT, (Greg Pavlov) wrote:

>On 13 Feb 2004 03:22:53 GMT, (Dave LaCourse)
>wrote:
>
>>Deliberately fish for lakers? Harumph. I caught a 12 pounder (small btw) on
>>an 8 weight in Labrador. I've seen little brook trout give a better fight.
>>It was like bringing in a log. Big disappointment. Now, if ya can put that
>>pooch into some northern pike...........
>>Dave
>>

> Lakers tend to be like logs until they're pulled
> up to, or are hooked in, shallow water. They also
> do better in cold water: I believe that they have
> the lowest ideal temperature range of the salmonids
> we catch most often (which makes sense, of course,
> given that they are in the char family).

Along with Brookies, lesser Char, and Pike, we caught a few nice (20"+) lakers
on big dry flies *way* the hell up in Quebec on the Caniapiscau River. The
lakers actually put up a hell of a fight. We often didn't know whether we had
a brookie or a laker on until they rolled up top - and even then, the markings
weren't all that different.

/daytripper

rw
February 14th, 2004, 02:04 AM
daytripper wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:35:46 -0700, rw >
> wrote:
> [snipped]
>
>>BTW, I treat my old Golden with Ascriptin when he's feeling aches and
>>pains. It works pretty well. Never use Tylenol or Ibuprofen or other
>>non-aspirin-based pain killers. At least, that's what the vet tells me.
>

> And your doctor, if he had a clue, would tell you never to use Tylenol on
> yourownself as well...
>
> /daytripper (And if the FDA wasn't bought and paid for, it'd never have
> allowed Tylenol on the market...)

I don't take Tylenol or other acetaminophen-based products, including
flu and cold medicines. Apparently, I drink too much. :-)

Wayne Harrison
February 14th, 2004, 02:09 AM
"rw" > wrote
> I don't take Tylenol or other acetaminophen-based products, including
> flu and cold medicines. Apparently, I drink too much. :-)

hell, we might get along, after all...

wayno

rw
February 14th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:
> "rw" > wrote
>
>>I don't take Tylenol or other acetaminophen-based products, including
>>flu and cold medicines. Apparently, I drink too much. :-)
>

> hell, we might get along, after all...
>
> wayno

The next time we meet, God willing, I'm going to drink you under the
table. Consider that a challenge. :-)

daytripper
February 14th, 2004, 03:25 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:21:35 -0700, rw >
wrote:

>Wayne Harrison wrote:
>> "rw" > wrote
>>
>>>I don't take Tylenol or other acetaminophen-based products, including
>>>flu and cold medicines. Apparently, I drink too much. :-)
>>

>> hell, we might get along, after all...
>>
>> wayno
>>

>The next time we meet, God willing, I'm going to drink you under the
>table. Consider that a challenge. :-)

whoa

/daytripper (I'd like to be a dry fly on the wall for that ;-)

rw
February 14th, 2004, 03:37 AM
daytripper wrote:

> whoa
>
> /daytripper (I'd like to be a dry fly on the wall for that ;-)

Should you miss it, I'll post a *digital* photo of wayno's unconscious
body sprawled on the floor. :-)

Wayne Harrison
February 14th, 2004, 03:59 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Harrison wrote:
> > "rw" > wrote
> >
> >>I don't take Tylenol or other acetaminophen-based products, including
> >>flu and cold medicines. Apparently, I drink too much. :-)
> >

> > hell, we might get along, after all...
> >
> > wayno
> >

> The next time we meet, God willing, I'm going to drink you under the
> table. Consider that a challenge. :-)

i think we need to do just that. meet, and drink, and talk hell, even
forty is a good guy, when you are face to face. and a good man to fish
with.

of course, the concept of you, or anyone who lives above the mason/dixon
line drinking me under the table, is a fantasy of astonishing proportions.

but hurry up. i think my staying powers are beginning to ebb.

wayno

daytripper
February 14th, 2004, 04:35 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:37:55 -0700, rw >
wrote:

>daytripper wrote:
>>
>> whoa
>>
>> /daytripper (I'd like to be a dry fly on the wall for that ;-)
>
>Should you miss it, I'll post a *digital* photo of wayno's unconscious
>body sprawled on the floor. :-)

hilarious!

/daytripper (waynoism by proxy ;-)

rw
February 14th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> i think we need to do just that. meet, and drink, and talk hell, even
> forty is a good guy, when you are face to face. and a good man to fish
> with.

"His calumnies are to be exceeded only by his impudence, and both stand
unrivaled."

-- George Washington

> of course, the concept of you, or anyone who lives above the mason/dixon
> line drinking me under the table, is a fantasy of astonishing proportions.

If it will make you feel any better the next morning, which I very much
doubt, I was born and raised below the Mason/Dixon Line.

Willi
February 15th, 2004, 01:56 AM
rw wrote:

> Greg Pavlov wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:37:45 -0700, rw
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> They're just about the most trainable breed there is. In Sadie's
>>> case, though, she's trained you.
>>

>> You're right. It's hard to be firm with a dog that is 16 years old
>> with severe hip dysplasia
>> and that has been a part of our family seemingly forever. If I try
>> to get her to do something she doesn't want to, or vice versa, I feel
>> a bit
>> like I'm harassing my grandmother :-)
>

> I know what you mean, but dogs actually like to know who's in charge. If
> you reward bad behavior, she'll soon figure out that it's she who's in
> charge. A clap of your hands and a "Sadie, go lie down!" will work if
> you're patient. And then a food treat or (better yet) just a "Good dog!"
> will make her feel very good about it. She might appreciate a really
> comfortable dog bed at the foot of the stairs.
>
> My guess is that she's doing it to get attention. You should lavish
> attention on her when she's doing something you like.
>
> Is she deaf, by any chance? That makes it much harder. Then you have to
> make eye contact.
>
> Or, you can just keep putting up with it.
>
> BTW, I treat my old Golden with Ascriptin when he's feeling aches and
> pains. It works pretty well. Never use Tylenol or Ibuprofen or other
> non-aspirin-based pain killers. At least, that's what the vet tells me.

Arlo's not an old Goldens yet.

Your advice is pretty good, but I'm not sure she's doing what she's
doing just for attention. 16 years old is VERY old for a Golden. Some
older dogs do get Alzheimer like symptoms and have some significant
behavioral changes. A dog Sadie's age, even without HD, is going to have
some real aches and pains. Although Ascriptin/Asprin is a help with
arthritis, with a severely dysplastic dog Sadie's age, there are other
drugs out there that will give her much more relief than Asprin. There
are a couple fairly new products that I've seen good results with.

Willi

bouncer
February 15th, 2004, 02:56 AM
> Arlo's not an old Goldens yet.
>
> Your advice is pretty good, but I'm not sure she's doing what she's
> doing just for attention. 16 years old is VERY old for a Golden. Some
> older dogs do get Alzheimer like symptoms and have some significant
> behavioral changes. A dog Sadie's age, even without HD, is going to have
> some real aches and pains. Although Ascriptin/Asprin is a help with
> arthritis, with a severely dysplastic dog Sadie's age, there are other

I've noticed a huge change in Granite(our Cairn Terrier) after
he started taking Rimadyl this past summer/fall. He is quickly
approaching 14 and you can tell the arhritis was really setting
in at times. It's not cheap, but well worth the cost for our
family.