PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Camping Store Around

Dark Lights
February 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
www.foresthughes.com

Tim J.
February 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
"Dark Lights" wrote...
> www.foresthughes.com

Oh Mr. Anglerboy! How should this be classified within your four rules of
spam/not-spam?
--
TL,
Tim

George Cleveland
February 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:47:01 -0800 (PST), (Dark
Lights) wrote:

>www.foresthughes.com

Not even close. Poorly designed stuff at average prices. Campmor can
easily beat your stuff on price and quality.

g.c.

Who knows he shouldn't go to spammer's websites but couldn't resist.

troutbum_mt
February 13th, 2004, 11:33 PM
says...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U12552767
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C23513767
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55522767
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37532767
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J5E552767
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Tim J.
February 14th, 2004, 12:42 AM
"troutbum_mt" wrote...
> says...
> >
> > "Dark Lights" wrote...
> > > www.foresthughes.com
> >
> > Oh Mr. Anglerboy! How should this be classified within your four rules of
> > spam/not-spam?
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?U12552767
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C23513767
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55522767
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37532767
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?J5E552767

Yeah, I know. Spam is one of those things that fit into the "I know it when I
see it" categories. AFAIC, i saw it in this post, but it fits none of
Anglerboy's criteria:
---------------
1. Spam is an unwanted solicitation to buy something. I did not see that
the original poster asked anyone to BUY anything. Spam is NOT just anything
posted that one doesn't like or happens to disagree with.

2. When a brother of the angle asks for a little advice or help, I think it
should be given in the nature in which it was asked. Intimidation and
name-calling are off topic.

3. Civil discourse is sadly lacking in our society. It is possible to
disagree with someone without resorting to profanity and name-calling.
Those are the weapons of bullies, and surely we have more than enough of
those. Perhaps there is a newsgroup called alt.shrill.cuss.bully.infantile,
for those who insist on taking that tack. We are here to discuss fly
fishing. I think it takes more maturity to exercise restraint and remain
silent, than to twist an innocent post into something it isn't.

4. [HWMNBN], you don't deserve to be flamed. Your site looks very
professional, but the products are a bit sparse (understandably, for a new
business) in a few departments. Good luck to you in your venture, it is
obviously a labor of love.

Cordially yours,
Anglerboy
---------------
So, is the original post in this thread spam or not? By the above rules, no. By
the "four or fewer lines in the signature line" test, no. Could it be considered
on-topic, probably. But it sure smells like spam to me.
--
TL,
Tim

troutbum_mt
February 14th, 2004, 02:30 AM
says...
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?U12552767
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C23513767
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55522767
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37532767
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J5E552767

Did you even read these? I take it that you did not because your
questions would have been answered.

> So, is the original post in this thread spam or not? By the above rules, no. By
> the "four or fewer lines in the signature line" test, no. Could it be considered
> on-topic, probably. But it sure smells like spam to me.

See above links.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Wolfgang
February 14th, 2004, 03:51 AM
"troutbum_mt" > wrote in message
> says...
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?U12552767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C23513767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55522767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37532767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J5E552767
>
> Did you even read these?...

Do you really think he shou......DOH!

Wolfgang
know what i me.....DOH!

Tim J.
February 14th, 2004, 04:17 AM
"troutbum_mt" wrote...
> says...
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?U12552767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C23513767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55522767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?A37532767
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J5E552767
>
> Did you even read these?

Why, yes I did, thank you.

> I take it that you did not because your
> questions would have been answered.

By who? Walt, rw, and Willi? So *THAT'S* the criteria you use. Hmmmm, I thought
those were just their opinions, but that's just my opinion.

See my previous posts - the ones that said BIOYA. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Ernie
February 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM
If it looks like spam, smells like spam and tastes like spam,
then it's spam.
Ernie

troutbum_mt
February 14th, 2004, 06:15 AM
says...
> By who? Walt, rw, and Willi? So *THAT'S* the criteria you use. Hmmmm, I thought
> those were just their opinions, but that's just my opinion.

It actually demonstrated the convention that predated your arrival to
this group. Perhaps if you still don't get it, perhaps you need a
usenet FAQ that clearly defines what spam is.

See the "How to advertise on Usenet" section.
ftp://ftp.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/advertising/how-to/part1

There's plenty of them out there and they all kind of say the same thing
so knock yourself out.

> See my previous posts - the ones that said BIOYA. :)

I would, but you seem busy enough as it is. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Tim J.
February 15th, 2004, 02:41 AM
"Wolfgang" wrote...
> "troutbum_mt" wrote...
> > says...
> >
> > Did you even read these?...
>
> Do you really think he shou......DOH!
>
> Wolfgang
> know what i me.....DOH!

Hey, Warren - it's too bad you can't re.......DOH!

troutbum_mt
February 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
says...
> Hey, Warren - it's too bad you can't re.......DOH!

My reading comprehension is more than adequate for the task at hand, but
I see your analytical skills are somewhat lacking. If I thought you
were worthy of the time, I would probably waste more time on you and it
re-post my argument in a format that was more easily understood by you.
Something along the lines of "See Dick post" is probably much more
appropriate when you are the intended audience....
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Tim J.
February 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM
"troutbum_mt" wrote...
> says...
> > Hey, Warren - it's too bad you can't re.......DOH!
>
> My reading comprehension is more than adequate for the task at hand, but
> I see your analytical skills are somewhat lacking. If I thought you
> were worthy of the time, I would probably waste more time on you and it
> re-post my argument in a format that was more easily understood by you.
> Something along the lines of "See Dick post" is probably much more
> appropriate when you are the intended audience....

Ahhh, but you missed the point entirely. You (claim to) have Wolfgang in your
"bozo bin" and are, therefore, unable to read his posts UNLESS someone replies
to him quoting his text in full, which I did, so you'd end up reading his post
anyway.

Howz them analytical skills *now*, big boy? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

troutbum_mt
February 16th, 2004, 04:37 AM
says...
> Ahhh, but you missed the point entirely. You (claim to) have Wolfgang in your
> "bozo bin" and are, therefore, unable to read his posts UNLESS someone replies
> to him quoting his text in full, which I did, so you'd end up reading his post
> anyway.
>
> Howz them analytical skills *now*, big boy? ;-)

Perfectly fine, but I must still question yours. To answer your
question, you must understand Gravity itself. As anyone who uses
Gravity will tell you, the stock option for the bozo bin is for the
"rule" to expire after seven days. I have since changed my bozo bin so
additions are permanent, but Wolfgang isn't the one who resides in
there. He does post some stuff that is very worthwhile, like his
beautiful description of the moon he saw one night. My lack of response
to him specifically is based upon my own decision to not respond and not
because he was added to my bozo bin. I must confess that watching him
try to provoke a confrontation has been somewhat amusing and I saw no
need to change his belief that he was still in my bozo bin. As you can
see, your assumption that it was Wolfgang who is in my bozo bin is wrong
and so is your above argument, which had nothing to do with the subject
at hand anyway..... I must admire how agile you are though as that was
one hell of a nice dodge.

Since you aren't going to refute any of the points I have made, which
you probably never understood anyway, and merely keep changing the
subject, I will consider this EOT. I will let you have the last word so
that your "honor" is satisfied and so you don't look like a *complete*
dumb ass. Knock yourself out. Maybe Wolfgang will help you pen a reply
since you seem to need him to take the lead for you.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

rw
February 16th, 2004, 04:53 AM
troutbum_mt wrote:

> He does post some stuff that is very worthwhile, like his
> beautiful description of the moon he saw one night.

I agree. That was priceless.

Tim J.
February 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
"troutbum_mt" wrote...
> says...
> > Ahhh, but you missed the point entirely. You (claim to) have Wolfgang in
your
> > "bozo bin" and are, therefore, unable to read his posts UNLESS someone
replies
> > to him quoting his text in full, which I did, so you'd end up reading his
post
> > anyway.
> >
> > Howz them analytical skills *now*, big boy? ;-)
>
> Perfectly fine, but I must still question yours. To answer your
> question, you must understand Gravity itself. As anyone who uses
> Gravity will tell you, the stock option for the bozo bin is for the
> "rule" to expire after seven days. I have since changed my bozo bin so
> additions are permanent, but Wolfgang isn't the one who resides in
> there. He does post some stuff that is very worthwhile, like his
> beautiful description of the moon he saw one night. My lack of response
> to him specifically is based upon my own decision to not respond and not
> because he was added to my bozo bin. I must confess that watching him
> try to provoke a confrontation has been somewhat amusing and I saw no
> need to change his belief that he was still in my bozo bin. As you can
> see, your assumption that it was Wolfgang who is in my bozo bin is wrong
> and so is your above argument, which had nothing to do with the subject
> at hand anyway..... I must admire how agile you are though as that was
> one hell of a nice dodge.
>
> Since you aren't going to refute any of the points I have made, which
> you probably never understood anyway, and merely keep changing the
> subject, I will consider this EOT.

You never made any points. You posted links containing other peoples'
discussions and opinions on spam, unless there's another post I missed.

> I will let you have the last word so
> that your "honor" is satisfied and so you don't look like a *complete*
> dumb ass.

Satisfying honor and posting on roff don't normally go hand in hand, and looking
like a dumbass has never troubled me. Have you ever taken a look at *anyone*
dressed for fly fishing and thought they looked sharp?

> Knock yourself out.

I almost did that today in my basement. Being 6'3" in a 5'5" basement can dish
out severe penalties.

> Maybe Wolfgang will help you pen a reply
> since you seem to need him to take the lead for you.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Wolfgang, could you reply fir. . . DOH!
--
TL,
Tim

troutbum_mt
February 16th, 2004, 05:18 AM
says...
> troutbum_mt wrote:
>

> > He does post some stuff that is very worthwhile, like his
> > beautiful description of the moon he saw one night.
>
> I agree. That was priceless.

The other night I saw the moon pretty much like the one I envisioned
Wolfgang describing. The first thing I thought of was Wolfgang's post
and how well he described what I was actually seeing. I like looking at
and taking pictures of the moon from time to time, but that particular
detail was something that never really registered with me on its own. I
guess that in my attempts to photograph the moon, I was actually wasting
my time and "missing the moment" on a picture that would not capture the
detail which Wolfgang so eloquently described. I found myself just
admiring the moon instead of trying to photograph it and enjoyed my time
witnessing the event instead of trying to capture it.

Wolfgang is a very gifted writer whom I wish would spend more time on
posts such as those instead of wasting his gift on trivial ****ing
contents while "defending ROFF" from whatever it is he is supposed to be
defending. I can only imagine some of the trip reports that he could
pen! Like the old saying goes, "I could wish in one hand and crap in
the other and see which one gets filled first" though.... I guess I
should be flattered that he chooses to spend so much time writing to and
about me. :-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Willi
February 17th, 2004, 02:04 PM
troutbum_mt wrote:

I guess I
> should be flattered that he chooses to spend so much time writing to and
> about me. :-)

Better watch it Warren, next thing you know you'll be getting that "warm
feeling".

Willi

Wolfgang
February 18th, 2004, 01:04 AM
"troutbum_mt" > wrote in message
> says...
> > troutbum_mt wrote:
> >

> > > He does post some stuff that is very worthwhile, like his
> > > beautiful description of the moon he saw one night.
> >
> > I agree. That was priceless.
>
> The other night I saw the moon pretty much like the one I envisioned
> Wolfgang describing. The first thing I thought of was Wolfgang's post
> and how well he described what I was actually seeing. I like looking at
> and taking pictures of the moon from time to time, but that particular
> detail was something that never really registered with me on its own. I
> guess that in my attempts to photograph the moon, I was actually wasting
> my time and "missing the moment" on a picture that would not capture the
> detail which Wolfgang so eloquently described. I found myself just
> admiring the moon instead of trying to photograph it and enjoyed my time
> witnessing the event instead of trying to capture it.
>
> Wolfgang is a very gifted writer whom I wish would spend more time on
> posts such as those instead of wasting his gift on trivial ****ing
> contents while "defending ROFF" from whatever it is he is supposed to be
> defending. I can only imagine some of the trip reports that he could
> pen! Like the old saying goes, "I could wish in one hand and crap in
> the other and see which one gets filled first" though.... I guess I
> should be flattered that he chooses to spend so much time writing to and
> about me. :-)

Once, in a freshman English class when I was in college, I wrote an eight
page paper on dog ****. Till now, it never occurred to me to wonder whether
the subject was flattered by the attention.

Wolfgang
who, incidentally, got an "A" on the paper.......how's THAT for gifted?
:)