PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Integrity Large Arbor Fly Reels any experiences?

February 13th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
Arbor in particular?

Thanks for your input...

Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

slenon
February 14th, 2004, 02:50 AM
I like large arbor reels. My experience has been positive. Can't really
think of any significant drawback.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Peter Charles
February 14th, 2004, 03:07 AM
On 13 Feb 2004 14:48:57 -0800, wrote:

>I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
>comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
>Arbor in particular?
>
>Thanks for your input...
>
>Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

I lived with one for 18 months and gave it more abuse than I do most
of my reels. It spent two days being banged all over an aluminium
boat, plus a couple of dunkings and other assorted bashing about. It
handled it fine.

On the negative side, the drag took a lot of turning and didn't apply
much pressure, plus it was very open a susceptible to dirt. I now
have the Scottish Daiwa version of the reel and the drag is different,
more grip, less open, while the rest is the same. The old one had a
metal cover while this one has a plastic cover that seems to provide a
better shield against dirt (though not completely). If the one you're
buying has some black plastic on the cover of the drag, you're getting
the better version.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

George Cleveland
February 14th, 2004, 03:30 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:07:28 -0500, Peter Charles
> wrote:

>On 13 Feb 2004 14:48:57 -0800, wrote:
>
>>I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
>>comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
>>Arbor in particular?
>>
>>Thanks for your input...
>>
>>Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning
>

>I lived with one for 18 months and gave it more abuse than I do most
>of my reels. It spent two days being banged all over an aluminium
>boat, plus a couple of dunkings and other assorted bashing about. It
>handled it fine.
>
>On the negative side, the drag took a lot of turning and didn't apply
>much pressure, plus it was very open a susceptible to dirt. I now
>have the Scottish Daiwa version of the reel and the drag is different,
>more grip, less open, while the rest is the same. The old one had a
>metal cover while this one has a plastic cover that seems to provide a
>better shield against dirt (though not completely). If the one you're
>buying has some black plastic on the cover of the drag, you're getting
>the better version.
>

>Peter
>
>turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
>
>Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

I sure do like the Daiwa products that are made in/associated with
Scotland. Why they don't bring them into the U.S. in a more organized
fashion is beyond me. Are they easier to find in Canada? Have I asked
this question before (Oldtimers Disease may be creeping up on me)?

g.c.

Peter Aksberg
February 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM
> I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
> comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
> Arbor in particular?

Useless if the weather is cold (near freezing temperatures), the
one-way bearing suddenly stops working and the drag is disabled.

I have the 7/8 and 10/11 sizes, both fail at low temp.

But if you aren't using them in cold weather they are great.

/Peter

Peter Charles
February 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:30:53 -0600, George Cleveland
> wrote:

>I sure do like the Daiwa products that are made in/associated with
>Scotland. Why they don't bring them into the U.S. in a more organized
>fashion is beyond me. Are they easier to find in Canada? Have I asked
>this question before (Oldtimers Disease may be creeping up on me)?
>
>g.c.

George, I order my Daiwa stuff from the UK. I usually get it faster
than I'd get a similar product from the US. Plus, UK retaillers are
aggressive discounters and we don't pay the VAT. My Lochmor X spey
rod has a MSRP of £190.00 but they were recently on sale for £109.00.
Remove the 17.5% VAT and you're down to £90.00. At current to USD
from GBP rate, that's $170.00 for an excellent spey rod that's better
than many that sell at four or five times the price.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Mike
February 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Check out ezflyfish.com Uncle Wally has a good discription of them......I have
a Hardy ULA been beat to death fell of top of truck going down the hiwayput a
new handle on it still works great......

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Bob Sheedy
February 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Okuma makes excellent large arbor reels. My only beef, which I just had out
with the distributor at the Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition in
Vancouver was the lack of interchangeable cassettes, (not spools). But they
have an awesome smooth drag and can keep up to a charging rainbow that
decides to check out your backing and then see how fast your fingers can
wind when he decides to come back and see what you look like.
The company stands behind its products very well and is obviously planning
on sticking around for the long haul, unlike some others that come and go
within a decade.

Bob S

--
Bob Sheedy
www.mwflyfishing.net
Author: Lake Fly Fishing Strategies
Bob Sheedy's Top Fifty Stillwater Fly Patterns
> wrote in message
om...
> I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
> comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
> Arbor in particular?
>
> Thanks for your input...
>
> Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

eric paul zamora
February 17th, 2004, 01:22 AM
yes, i've got an integrity 5/6 by okuma. seems to work ok, but i'd like to
point out a couple of things:

after 5 months' time, the rim is scratched to silver now. they're not
machined.

they are relatively heavy. 7 oz for the 5/6, the smallest in that line.

the drag seems to be good, but a bit touchy. the large star-shaped wheel on
the back controls the drag and if i have it just "right," moving it just a
tad results in a large change in drag. once set, it's consistent, but i
haven't had to play any fish from the reel since i bought it.

okuma has pretty good service. i was carrying my rod on my windshield
beneath the wipers recently moving from one spot to another. i won't go into
the embarrassing sequence of events, but the result was my coming to a
relatively sudden stop and the rod and reel going end over end, landing in
front of me. i got out and found one of the reel's feet had broken. i
admitted my stupidity to okuma in an email and received a reply about a day
later that because of my honesty, they would send me a replacement footing
for no charge. it arrived a week later and everything is fine.

i understand okuma is a big name in reels outside the flyfishing realm.

i'm been internet window shopping lately (honestly, when do i ever stop?)
and find myself gravitating to a teton tioga as my next reel. maybe for the
current 9 foot, 5 weight ro, definitely for the inevitable purchase of a
smaller rod. perhaps you would find yourself in the same boat?

eric
fresno, ca.

> From: "Bob Sheedy" >
> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:01:35 -0600
> Subject: Re: Okuma Integrity Large Arbor Fly Reels any experiences?
>
> Okuma makes excellent large arbor reels. My only beef, which I just had out
> with the distributor at the Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition in
> Vancouver was the lack of interchangeable cassettes, (not spools). But they
> have an awesome smooth drag and can keep up to a charging rainbow that
> decides to check out your backing and then see how fast your fingers can
> wind when he decides to come back and see what you look like.
> The company stands behind its products very well and is obviously planning
> on sticking around for the long haul, unlike some others that come and go
> within a decade.
>
> Bob S
>
> --
> Bob Sheedy
> www.mwflyfishing.net
> Author: Lake Fly Fishing Strategies
> Bob Sheedy's Top Fifty Stillwater Fly Patterns
> > wrote in message
> om...
>> I am considering a large arbor reel for the first time. Anyone have
>> comments on Large Arbor reels in general or the Okuma Integrity Large
>> Arbor in particular?
>>
>> Thanks for your input...
>>
>> Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

Willi
February 17th, 2004, 02:02 PM
eric paul zamora wrote:

> yes, i've got an integrity 5/6 by okuma. seems to work ok, but i'd like to
> point out a couple of things:
>
> after 5 months' time, the rim is scratched to silver now. they're not
> machined.
>
> they are relatively heavy. 7 oz for the 5/6, the smallest in that line.
>
> the drag seems to be good, but a bit touchy. the large star-shaped wheel on
> the back controls the drag and if i have it just "right," moving it just a
> tad results in a large change in drag. once set, it's consistent, but i
> haven't had to play any fish from the reel since i bought it.

They are a decent reel for the price, but your assessment matches mine.
They're heavy and the metal is soft. The drag is OK but changing it is
difficult to do well. I'd buy something else if I had it to do over.

Willi

Manu
February 20th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hi,
the integrity is quite good, specially for the beginning.
for round about 80 € a nice reel.
We´ve checked it out in sweden last year by fishing for pike and bass
at the freshwater. but for sal****er it is not the first choice...

have a nice season an tight lines

greeting from germany*
Manu

*) so the mistakes in grammar and spelling are mine