PDA

View Full Version : I'm a travelin' mannnnnn.....

Frank Church
February 15th, 2004, 01:04 PM
No TR from Panama City, FL because it was raining and forecasted to stick
around for a day or two. No matter, I just beat feet back north in time to
get another dispatch to central Florida this coming week. Moody AFB in GA
has a "Family Camp" with a 500 acre lake called Grassy Pond. I stopped by
to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
*crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking up as
well.
On the way south I will tow my boat down in a 3 way hookup, drop it off at
the camp and fish on the way home. RV spots and cabins available at very
reasonable rates make this a place to rest after deliveries in Florida.
Unfortunately, this neat little camp is only available to active duty,
retired and DOD employees.

Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
*pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren

Wayne Knight
February 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
"Frank Church" > wrote in message
9.11...
> No TR from Panama City, FL because it was raining and forecasted to stick
> around for a day or two. No matter, I just beat feet back north in time to

I hear you were browsing the Orvis shop in Indy yesterday for deer hair,
seems to me there would would be plenty of road kill along the way :)

Bill Kiene
February 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Hi All,

We are headed to Florida tomorrow to the Cape Canaveral area to visit the
grand kids for 3 weeks.

Hope to get some fishing in with a few local fly fishers down there.

I hear the American shad are running in the St.Johns River west of
Titusville. Also this is suppose to be good fresh water time too.

I will have give a report.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Frank Church" > wrote in message
9.11...
> No TR from Panama City, FL because it was raining and forecasted to stick
> around for a day or two. No matter, I just beat feet back north in time to
> get another dispatch to central Florida this coming week. Moody AFB in GA
> has a "Family Camp" with a 500 acre lake called Grassy Pond. I stopped by
> to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
> *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking up as
> well.
> On the way south I will tow my boat down in a 3 way hookup, drop it off at
> the camp and fish on the way home. RV spots and cabins available at very
> reasonable rates make this a place to rest after deliveries in Florida.
> Unfortunately, this neat little camp is only available to active duty,
> retired and DOD employees.
>
> Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
> *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren

Frank Church
February 15th, 2004, 10:16 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in
:

> I hear you were browsing the Orvis shop in Indy yesterday for deer
> hair, seems to me there would would be plenty of road kill along the
> way :)

....wrong kind of road kill, I ran over the remains of a skunk, damn near
barfed. :( Hey, nice guys in the Royal River fly shop, very helpful. I
bought a book on tying bass bugs and did my first one today...looks like a
very bad haircut!

Frank Church

Frank Church
February 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM
"Bill Kiene" > wrote in news:wCOXb.23967$cz4.2212
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

> Hi All,
>
> We are headed to Florida tomorrow to the Cape Canaveral area to visit the
> grand kids for 3 weeks.
>
> Hope to get some fishing in with a few local fly fishers down there.
>
> I hear the American shad are running in the St.Johns River west of
> Titusville. Also this is suppose to be good fresh water time too.
>
> I will have give a report.

Yep, the bass are in pre-spawn (so I'm told) and the specks are hitting.
You should have your choice of fresh or salt species with no problems.

Frank Church

Frank Church
February 15th, 2004, 11:11 PM
(Greg Pavlov) wrote in news:4030f41f.16459787
@news.cis.dfn.de:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:16:45 GMT, Frank Church
> > wrote:
>
>>I bought a book on tying bass bugs and did my first
>>one today...looks like a very bad haircut!
>
> Are you talking about spinning deer hair ?
> I've had some serious problems with that,
> even with someone sitting next to me who
> knows what they're doing. I decided to
> shelve it for the time being.

....yep, worked on that sucker for nearly an hour. My main problem was
getting that last bunch of hair on behind the hook eye. Pain in the ass!
Hair bugs are cheap, the hell with it. :(

Frank Church

slenon
February 15th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Frank Church:
>No TR from Panama City, FL because it was raining and forecasted to stick
>around for a day or two.

It was flat nasty here yesterday in the Tampa Bay region. We set out for
the Skyway flats with a SE wind and overcast skies. By the time we got
rigged up and walked up the beach to our chosen area, the sky was lowering
and a few ominous large drops of water were splattering around. We fished
for about half an hour and the wind shifted to the SW. Within another 30
minutes it was blowing a sustained 30 MPH with gusts over 35. We played at
fishing back toward the cars, mostly seeing if we could get a backcast up
high enough to let the wind carry it forward with any accuracy. By the time
we got to the cars it was raining in earnest. So we wound up hunkered down
in a barbecue joint while we watched the weather deteriorate.

Still, I was surprised at how well the TFO Signature model does in adverse
conditions. Tomorrow the weather should be pretty much back to FL Chamber
of Commerce ideal for Feb and we're heading out again.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

egildone
February 15th, 2004, 11:39 PM
"Frank Church" > wrote in message :
> I stopped by
> to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
> *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking up as
> well.
> Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
> *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren

Wait a minute! I don't understand. Specks are Speckled trout or Spotted Sea
Trout and are salt water fish and Crappie are freshwater fish in the same
family as Bass and Sunfish (Brim). Is that what you meant to say?

--
TL
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

Frank Church
February 16th, 2004, 12:55 AM
"egildone" > wrote in

> "Frank Church" > wrote in message :
>> I stopped by
>> to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
>> *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking
>> up as well.
>> Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
>> *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren
>
> Wait a minute! I don't understand. Specks are Speckled trout or
> Spotted Sea Trout and are salt water fish and Crappie are freshwater
> fish in the same family as Bass and Sunfish (Brim). Is that what you
> meant to say?

....nope. Crappies south of the Mason/Dixon line are "specks", and true,
they are freshwater fish. Some call them "papermouth" for good reason. I've
lost more than a few due to their tender mouth.

Frank Church

Wayne Knight
February 16th, 2004, 01:28 AM
"Frank Church" > wrote in message
9.11...
> "egildone" > wrote in
>

> ...nope. Crappies south of the Mason/Dixon line are "specks", and true,
> they are freshwater fish. Some call them "papermouth" for good reason.
I've
> lost more than a few due to their tender mouth.

Along the southern coast when one mentions Spec's they are usually speaking
of the speckled trout. So you're both right to small degree.

Next time you're in Indy, drop me a note.

Wayne

John Popp
February 16th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Damn Yankees, doun even know what a speck is, It's a colorless blue gill on
steroids. If'n ya'll ferget minimum size of Lake Monroe Specks is 12" lessen
they uped it agin.-
John Popp
Deltona Fl.
Damed spell checker is flambozzled agin

"egildone" > wrote in message

> "Frank Church" > wrote in message :
> > I stopped by
> > to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
> > *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking up
as
> > well.
> > Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
> > *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren
>
> Wait a minute! I don't understand. Specks are Speckled trout or Spotted
Sea
> Trout and are salt water fish and Crappie are freshwater fish in the same
> family as Bass and Sunfish (Brim). Is that what you meant to say?
>

> --
> TL
> Ed (remove nospam to reply)

Jeff Miller
February 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Frank Church wrote:

> ...nope. Crappies south of the Mason/Dixon line are "specks", and true,
> they are freshwater fish. Some call them "papermouth" for good reason. I've
> lost more than a few due to their tender mouth.

well, i'm sure i've missed the southern nomenclature bus more than a
time or two... but from my experience in this part of nc, "crappie" are
crappie, and "specks" are either the sal****er speckled trout (with
fangs) or the native brookies. if i have to add another speck to my fish
speak, folks would have to speck-u-late about my meaning...

jeff

Frank Church
February 16th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Jeff Miller > wrote in

> well, i'm sure i've missed the southern nomenclature bus more than a
> time or two... but from my experience in this part of nc, "crappie"
> are crappie, and "specks" are either the sal****er speckled trout
> (with fangs) or the native brookies. if i have to add another speck to
> my fish speak, folks would have to speck-u-late about my meaning...

...are you fishing for a debate here Jeff? :-) Personally, I never heard
crappies being referred to as specks until migrating south of the MD line.
I wonder about the regional difference of speckled trout v crappie, I can
see where confusion would arise if both were referred to as specks. Ah what
the hell, does it really matter? If sal****er specks taste as good as
freshwater specks, who cares? :)

Frank Church
....filets fried to a crisp golden brown, a cold Coors...**

Jeff Miller
February 16th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Frank Church wrote:

> Jeff Miller > wrote in
>

>>well, i'm sure i've missed the southern nomenclature bus more than a
>>time or two... but from my experience in this part of nc, "crappie"
>>are crappie, and "specks" are either the sal****er speckled trout
>>(with fangs) or the native brookies. if i have to add another speck to
>>my fish speak, folks would have to speck-u-late about my meaning...
>

> ..are you fishing for a debate here Jeff? :-)

nope, i know better. just making a comment about this part of the
south... it's probably a regional thing... i think i heard someone,
jimmy houston maybe, refer to crappie as specks...but i just thought it
a texarkana comment <g>... crappie have speckled spots kinda like
speckled sal****er trout...

the salt trout are reported to be tasty... i've caught a bunch of the
small ones and never kept them. went out to the cape lookout rock jetty
on saturday hoping to catch a few 3-5 pounders, but all i caught was a
chill. can't wait til the shad and crappie start the spawn runs...

jeff

Joe McIntosh
February 16th, 2004, 01:17 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> Frank Church wrote:
>

> > ...nope. Crappies south of the Mason/Dixon line are "specks", and true,
> > they are freshwater fish. Some call them "papermouth" for good reason.
I've
> > lost more than a few due to their tender mouth.
> >

> well, i'm sure i've missed the southern nomenclature bus more than a
> time or two... but from my experience in this part of nc, "crappie" are
> crappie, and "specks" are either the sal****er speckled trout (with
> fangs) or the native brookies. if i have to add another speck to my fish
> speak, folks would have to speck-u-late about my meaning...
>
> jeff

IJ count -them-plates--
Oh Jeff you are so witty at 4:30 in am.---the specks off rock jetty almost
look like rainbows and are very good eating.

Big Dale
February 16th, 2004, 02:41 PM
jeff wrote:>well, i'm sure i've missed the southern nomenclature bus more than
>time or two... but from my experience in this part of nc, "crappie" are
>crappie, and "specks" are either the sal****er speckled trout (with
>fangs) or the native brookies. if i have to add another speck to my fish
>speak, folks would have to speck-u-late about my meaning...

I also have heard brookies refered to as specks, but your comment about
speck-u-late is coming very close to what my Cajun froiend call crappie . I
never have been able to pronounce, much less spell anything in Cajun, but they
call crappie something that sounds like sauk-a lat. I will have to try to nail
that down when I am in Lafayette to tie at the Acadia Fly Rodders club. I wish
I had seen this post before last weekend when I saw Tom Landry from Lafayette
as we were in ardansas for the most beautiful snowstorm this old Texan had ever
seen. One guy's truck had 4 inches of snow on top of the antenna ball.

Big Dale

Big Dale
February 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Frank wrote:snip> If sal****er specks taste as good as
>freshwater specks, who cares? :)

They taste even better.

Big Dale

JR
February 16th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Big Dale wrote:

> I also have heard brookies refered to as specks, but your comment about
> speck-u-late is coming very close to what my Cajun froiend call crappie . I
> never have been able to pronounce, much less spell anything in Cajun, but they
> call crappie something that sounds like sauk-a lat.

Sac-a-lait.

http://www.thejump.net/fishlist/crappie.htm

I like James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels, in which Robicheaux
fishes for sac-a-lait in LA (a lot) and for trout in MT (not so much).

JR

egildone
February 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I live in Oklahoma and we catch crappie here. The only specks I know were
the speckled trout I used to catch when I lived near the gulf coast.

--
TL
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"Frank Church" > wrote in message
9.11...
> "egildone" > wrote in
>

> > "Frank Church" > wrote in message :
> >> I stopped by
> >> to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
> >> *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking
> >> up as well.
> >> Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
> >> *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren
> >
> > Wait a minute! I don't understand. Specks are Speckled trout or
> > Spotted Sea Trout and are salt water fish and Crappie are freshwater
> > fish in the same family as Bass and Sunfish (Brim). Is that what you
> > meant to say?
>
> ...nope. Crappies south of the Mason/Dixon line are "specks", and true,
> they are freshwater fish. Some call them "papermouth" for good reason.
I've
> lost more than a few due to their tender mouth.
>
> Frank Church

egildone
February 17th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Different regions have different names for the same fish. I am a volunteer
for the Oklahoma wildlfe department and when I teach fish ID to kids in a
fishing clinic I tell them if you go to anyone fishing on a lake in OK. and
ask them if they are haveing any luck, 99% of them will reply that we are
catching brim or perch. I tell the kids the fish they are catching are in
the sunfish family, namely Bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish or
longear sunfish. I then tell them the true perch in Ok. are Walleye, sauger
and saugeye. I'm probably really confusing them!

--
TL
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"John Popp" > wrote in message
> Damn Yankees, doun even know what a speck is, It's a colorless blue gill
on
> steroids. If'n ya'll ferget minimum size of Lake Monroe Specks is 12"
lessen
> they uped it agin.-
> John Popp
> Deltona Fl.
> Damed spell checker is flambozzled agin
>
> "egildone" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank Church" > wrote in message :
> > > I stopped by
> > > to chat and found out that the speck fishing is hot right now (that's
> > > *crappies to us yankees) and the "brim" and bass fishing are picking
up
> as
> > > well.
> > > Frank Church..who thinks I one damn lucky fella...
> > > *pronounced "croppies" to our offshore brethren
> >
> > Wait a minute! I don't understand. Specks are Speckled trout or Spotted
> Sea
> > Trout and are salt water fish and Crappie are freshwater fish in the
same
> > family as Bass and Sunfish (Brim). Is that what you meant to say?
> >

> > --
> > TL
> > Ed (remove nospam to reply)

Wayne Harrison
February 17th, 2004, 10:46 PM
"egildone" > wrote in message
> Different regions have different names for the same fish.

hell, not only that; the pronounciation of the same name is different:
in north carolina, "crappie" is crap-ee. in the midwest, it's crop-ee.

yfitons
wayno (i wouldn't give you a kick in the balls for the damn things, no
matter what you call them)

a-happy-up-yours
February 17th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> hell, not only that; the pronounciation of the same name is different:
> in north carolina, "crappie" is crap-ee. in the midwest, it's crop-ee.
>
> yfitons
> wayno (i wouldn't give you a kick in the balls for the damn things, no
> matter what you call them)

crap-ee?
kick in the balls?
damn things?

You been talking to my ex-wife?

Tom

egildone
February 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Just noticed this is on ROFF, not ROFB! No wonder noone cares!

--
TL
Ed (remove nospam to reply)
> Wayne Harrison wrote:
>
> > hell, not only that; the pronounciation of the same name is
different:
> > in north carolina, "crappie" is crap-ee. in the midwest, it's crop-ee.
> >
> > yfitons
> > wayno (i wouldn't give you a kick in the balls for the damn things, no
> > matter what you call them)
> >

> crap-ee?
> kick in the balls?
> damn things?
>
> You been talking to my ex-wife?
>

> Tom

Wayne Harrison
February 18th, 2004, 12:53 AM
> > > wayno (i wouldn't give you a kick in the balls for the damn things,
no
> > > matter what you call them)
> > >

> > crap-ee?
> > kick in the balls?
> > damn things?
> >
> > You been talking to my ex-wife?

well, the little dear *did* mention something about an effort to
increase the alimony...

yfitp (but i referred her to jeffie, of course)

Jeff Miller
February 18th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> no

>>>crap-ee?
>>>kick in the balls?
>>>damn things?
>>>
>>>You been talking to my ex-wife?
>

> well, the little dear *did* mention something about an effort to
> increase the alimony...
>
> yfitp (but i referred her to jeffie, of course)

no way...i'm among those who have heard, and appreciated, tom's
description of the multiple uses to which septic tanks can be put.

jeff