PDA

View Full Version : Ibis Fly Rods

Dave LaCourse
February 15th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I need another travel rod (4 or 5 pieces). However, spending $600 - $700 is
just too much. And, no, I don't want a KPOS. d;o)

I notice that Winston sells a rod called Ibis. It has a more reasonable cost
($295 for a 4 piece). Anyone out there familiar with the Ibis?
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

al
February 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM
I use the Winston WT. Try Sierra Trading Post for a Powell. They have
great deals from time to time. but it is hit and miss.
www.sierratradingpost.com search the site for "fly fishing powell." You'll
be pleasantly surprised. I swear by that company.

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> I need another travel rod (4 or 5 pieces). However, spending $600 - $700
is
> just too much. And, no, I don't want a KPOS. d;o)
>
> I notice that Winston sells a rod called Ibis. It has a more reasonable
cost
> ($295 for a 4 piece). Anyone out there familiar with the Ibis?
> Dave
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Wayne Knight
February 16th, 2004, 01:30 AM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message

> I notice that Winston sells a rod called Ibis. It has a more reasonable
cost
> ($295 for a 4 piece). Anyone out there familiar with the Ibis?

I've played with them and am contemplating buying the 6 weight. Decent rods
for the price but they are faster than your Winston LT. They might be made
by Winston, but they ain't no "winston".

Dave LaCourse
February 16th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Wayne Knight writes:

>I've played with them and am contemplating buying the 6 weight. Decent rods
>for the price but they are faster than your Winston LT. They might be made
>by Winston, but they ain't no "winston".

I wouldn't expect them to *be* a Winston. I love my LT - you wouldn't believe
it had all those ferrules. Think I'll wait for a sale of sumtin. Fly fishing
show coming up soon at Burlington.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Jeff Shafer
February 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM
(Dave LaCourse) wrote in message >...
> I need another travel rod (4 or 5 pieces). However, spending $600 - $700 is
> just too much. And, no, I don't want a KPOS. d;o)
>
> I notice that Winston sells a rod called Ibis. It has a more reasonable cost
> ($295 for a 4 piece). Anyone out there familiar with the Ibis?
> Dave
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

I haven't fished my IBIS yet. It's the four piece 9' 5wt, and I
assembled it this winter from a blank. I live in the Northeast, and
had a chance to cast it this past weekend in my somewhat snowcovered
back yard. The rod is not a light rod, and has a considerably thick
butt. When I cast it, I had a 5 wt DT line strung through it, with no
leader attached, just a mono loop at the end of the fly line. It
appeared to be a true 5 wt.

Having never cast a Winston rod, I can't provide a comparison to other
Winston models. The action wasn't that different from my Sage 9' 5wt
RPL, which I cast side-by-side with the IBIS - maybe a bit faster than
the RPL, but not much. As for casting accuracy, I can't comment as I
had no leader and fly attached.

I purchased the blank on a whim as I was interested in a four piece
rod for travel, and the price was right. It may not become my
mainstay rod though.

If you can wait, and will have the opportunity to test cast an IBIS,
I'd do that.

Hope this helps,
Jeff