PDA

View Full Version : ECHO Fly Reel

BJ Conner
February 16th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Any one have any experience with or opinions on these.
IT's made of graphite in Denmark. I think being made in Denmark would
be a plus. The local flyshop has them for $70 which is not a big
gamble.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/reels.html

Osmo Jauhiainen
February 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
"BJ Conner" > wrote in message
om...
> Any one have any experience with or opinions on these.
> IT's made of graphite in Denmark. I think being made in Denmark would
> be a plus. The local flyshop has them for $70 which is not a big
> gamble.
>
> http://www.rajeffsports.com/reels.html

This particular reel unknown for me, but I am suspicious about graphite
reels.
Last summer in Lapland I had a similar reel made by Vision. This reel was
new
having a spare spool. When I was putting the rod down to release a fish,
the handle got a very light hit of stone and it was broken. The same thing
hapend with my spare spool soon after that. I was returning the reel into
the
shop where I puchased it and got a new Okuma reel to replace this Vision
reel.

OsmoJ

slenon
February 16th, 2004, 09:04 PM
I happened to see one of the Echo reels yesterday. It appears well made.
The fit was good and the spool was quite easy to dismount and remount. The
drag looked quite adequate in the 6-9 model that I was playing with. The
retrieve was smooth. For the money, I'd say it is worth considering.

The fragility of graphite is noted, as Osmo states. The guy who showed me
the reel uses them for guide customers down in Naples. He seemed to think
they were sufficiently durable.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Wolfgang
February 17th, 2004, 03:48 AM
"slenon" > wrote in message
> I happened to see one of the Echo reels yesterday. It appears well made.
> The fit was good and the spool was quite easy to dismount and remount.
The
> drag looked quite adequate in the 6-9 model that I was playing with. The
> retrieve was smooth. For the money, I'd say it is worth considering.
>
> The fragility of graphite is noted, as Osmo states. The guy who showed me
> the reel uses them for guide customers down in Naples. He seemed to think
> they were sufficiently durable.

I did the vast majority of my first fifteen years of fly fishing with a $20
graphite real.....including three seasons as a genuine trout bum in which I
logged roughly a thousand hours per year in the water. I never really liked
it all that much for a variety of reasons, but I still own it and it's still
as functional as it ever was. I can't say the same for some metal reels
that I liked better.

Wolfgang

George Cleveland
February 17th, 2004, 02:57 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:48:18 -0600, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>"slenon" > wrote in message
>> I happened to see one of the Echo reels yesterday. It appears well made.
>> The fit was good and the spool was quite easy to dismount and remount.
>The
>> drag looked quite adequate in the 6-9 model that I was playing with. The
>> retrieve was smooth. For the money, I'd say it is worth considering.
>>
>> The fragility of graphite is noted, as Osmo states. The guy who showed me
>> the reel uses them for guide customers down in Naples. He seemed to think
>> they were sufficiently durable.
>
>I did the vast majority of my first fifteen years of fly fishing with a $20
>graphite real.....including three seasons as a genuine trout bum in which I
>logged roughly a thousand hours per year in the water. I never really liked
>it all that much for a variety of reasons, but I still own it and it's still
>as functional as it ever was. I can't say the same for some metal reels
>that I liked better.
>
>Wolfgang

I just picked up an SA Concept 1 (graphite) reel for Mason, my 6 year
old son, to use. It seems like a decent enough reel. And as a bonus
its light enough to balance well with the 7' 4wt. rod I bought him
last fall.

g.c.

slenon
February 17th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I neglected to state that the conversion from right to left hand retrieve is
a little more complex than some reels I've owned or seen. However, we only
do it once per reel.