PDA

View Full Version : Bob Nastasi died

vincent p. norris
February 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I just stumbled onto this, on the net:

Bob Nastasi died today--Feb. 8, 2004

10:25 AM 2/9/2004

Bob Nastasi, one of the most respected fly fishing
personalities of our time, died today. After a courageous six year
battle with kidney failure and lung cancer, he died at 1:30 A.M. this
morning at his home on Barnegat Bay.

Bob Nastasi grew up in the rough Bedford Stuyvesant
section of Brooklyn back in the 40's and 50's. He lived in a tenement
building with two older brothers and two younger sisters.

Thanks to his dad, Joseph, a New York City cab driver,
he spent his childhood summers in Adonia, New York, where he developed
a close association with the outdoors through his aunt and cousins.
When Bob was a teenager, he spent weekends fishing with his Uncle Pete
on board the "Two Brothers" out of Howard Beach. Using "live and cut
baits", they fished the wrecks off of Manhattan and Long Island,
regardless of the weather.

Bob began a career in the advertising business in New
York City as a graphic artist and specialized in the movie industry
where he shared boardroom sessions with such greats as Mel Brooks. He
married Roseanne in the mid 60's and moved to Wayne, New Jersey where
they raised a family of three boys.

Bob met Al Caucci in 1970 through a mutual friend at
Al's vacation home in the Poconos. He came to check out Al's house,
but when Bob saw Al's fly tying and 'bug' aquarium setup, he never
stopped asking questions. They talked all day and into the night
about bugs, and flies, and trout, and a life long friendship was born.
Al says that Bob Nastasi's curiosity, artistic talent, and powers of
observation are a rarity that he has always admired. "I have always
felt privileged with our close association and friendship, we were
like brothers We will all suffer a great loss without him," said Al.

In 1970, Al and Bob formed "Comparahatch Limited", a
corporation for their published works, fly tying materials, and trout
flies. It was also the namesake of their first book, COMPARAHATCH and
their ground breaking trout flies; Comparadun, Compara-nymph,
Compara-spinner, etc., encompassing hundreds of patterns that
knowledgeable anglers use to this day.

Bob Nastasi has a long and distinguished career in the
world of fly fishing. He co-authored the following books with Al
Caucci:

COMPARAHATCH - 1973
HATCHES - 1975
FLY TYER'S COLOR GUIDE - 1978
INSTANT MAYFLY IDENTIFICATION GUIDE - 1983
HATCHES II - 1986

HATCHES II is still considered "the" defining book on
angling entomology in the fly fishing world and remains in hardcover
and has ever been printed in paperback. After 70,000 copies sold, it
is still considered the #1 book on the subject introducing incredible
photos of insects and revolutionary fly patterns that changed the way
people trout fish to this day. Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi fly patterns
include the famous Comparadun, compara-caddis, and a raft of patterns
that include imitations for every mayfly species and the subsequent
stages of each, which includes hundreds of modern day fly patterns.
Bob and Al started the Caucci/Nastasi Fly Fishing School for
trout and bonefish in 1984, which became a nationally famous fly
fishing school and is still in operation today. Bob resigned from the
fly fishing business in 1990, with the understanding that both Bob and
Al would team up again to write more books in the future. Bob's health
problems started in 1997 put a hold on their plans for new books.

Bob Nastasi is survived by his wife, Roseanne (63),
three sons; Robert (40), his daughter, Erica; Christopher (38), his
wife Lisa and two daughters, Camille and Louise; Matthew (37); as well
as siblings Frank of Wapinger, NY, Joseph of North Carolina and
Lorraine of West Virginia.

Mike Connor
February 17th, 2004, 03:33 AM
"vincent p. norris" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I just stumbled onto this, on the net:

We mourn, from respect, but also because we are confronted with our own
mortality. Bob lives on in the memory of those who read his works. No man
can ask for more.

MC

Wolfgang
February 17th, 2004, 04:09 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "vincent p. norris" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I just stumbled onto this, on the net:
>
> We mourn, from respect, but also because we are confronted with our own
> mortality.

Ditto.

> Bob lives on in the memory of those who read his works. No man
> can ask for more.

Well, yeah, but many of us have reason enough to hope for a bit less.
:)

Wolfgang
um......all this stuff DOES get erased after a few years.......right? :(

Mike Connor
February 17th, 2004, 04:42 AM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Well, yeah, but many of us have reason enough to hope for a bit less.
> :)
>
> Wolfgang
> um......all this stuff DOES get erased after a few years.......right?
:(

Nobody erases it, it just disappears. Basically a capacity problem. A
fitting end perhaps?

Although, on the other hand, I have heard it said that hope springs eternal.
Must be from some perpetual bugger, as I can not otherwise see how he could
possibly know.

TL
MC

Tim J.
February 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM
"Wolfgang" wrote...
<snip>
> um......all this stuff DOES get erased after a few years.......right? :(

With the hope you were correct, I went on a cyber journey. Here are some fun
facts about ROFF according to Google:

1) First post was on 5/17/1994 by Jack Kramer. Yes, it's still on record. That
means the Penns clave will represent a decade of roff. Sounds like a hat/t-shirt
saying if I ever saw it. I'd like to be the first to suggest "Can you believe
there have been ten years of this ****?" :)
2) First current roffian to post, 5/17/1994, Dave Bottom.
3) First flame war on 5/18/1994 in a thread regarding C&R, amongst other stated
opinions, started by Tbone Tim Walker.

Happy birthday roff, you ol' dog.
--
TL,
Tim

Flyfish
February 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in
:

> "Wolfgang" wrote...
> <snip>
>> um......all this stuff DOES get erased after a few years.......right?
>> :(
>
> With the hope you were correct, I went on a cyber journey. Here are
> some fun facts about ROFF according to Google:
>
> 1) First post was on 5/17/1994 by Jack Kramer. Yes, it's still on
> record. That means the Penns clave will represent a decade of roff.
> Sounds like a hat/t-shirt saying if I ever saw it. I'd like to be the
> first to suggest "Can you believe there have been ten years of this
> ****?" :) 2) First current roffian to post, 5/17/1994, Dave Bottom.
> 3) First flame war on 5/18/1994 in a thread regarding C&R, amongst
> other stated opinions, started by Tbone Tim Walker.
>
> Happy birthday roff, you ol' dog.

Wow, and I'm still here in lurk mode, since day 1 apparently.

Flyfish aka Dave