PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on fishing kayaks

Mark Tinsky
February 18th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Generally I fish the Misourri River. Generally wading and
occaisionally floating in a drift boat. The problem with floating is
you can t always be at the right place at the right time. The trouble
with wading is sometimes the channel runs along the banks and you
can t get out to the islands and bars in the middle of the river.

My idea was a kayak that one could go upstream in calm water and
be able to hit these mid stream islands and bars , float back to a
put in and not need a shuttle. Wasn t necc thinking about fishing out
of it.

I also have an opp to go down the Smith river this Spring. I know
there s some rough water there. Would a fishing Kayak be able to
handle white water also, for someone whos not an expert?

MT

just al
February 18th, 2004, 09:06 PM
That'd be a very cool way to travel the Upper Missouri. You'd leave a ton
of wading fisherman wondering, "How'd that guy get out there?" if you
stashed the kayak in the bushes.

Try e-mailing a rafting company (like near Glacier) and pretend to want to
buy one to fish the Smith, "But your not sure if it's a good idea." Chances
are they won't suggest buying one if they didn't think you could handle it.
Or someone may ask to join your Smith permit and show you the ropes...or
paddles...or something.
"Mark Tinsky" > wrote in message
> Generally I fish the Misourri River. Generally wading and
> occaisionally floating in a drift boat. The problem with floating is
> you can t always be at the right place at the right time. The trouble
> with wading is sometimes the channel runs along the banks and you
> can t get out to the islands and bars in the middle of the river.
>
> My idea was a kayak that one could go upstream in calm water and
> be able to hit these mid stream islands and bars , float back to a
> put in and not need a shuttle. Wasn t necc thinking about fishing out
> of it.
>
> I also have an opp to go down the Smith river this Spring. I know
> there s some rough water there. Would a fishing Kayak be able to
> handle white water also, for someone whos not an expert?
>
> MT

Mark Tinsky
February 18th, 2004, 11:11 PM
In article >, "just al"
> wrote:

> That'd be a very cool way to travel the Upper Missouri. You'd leave a
> ton
> of wading fisherman wondering, "How'd that guy get out there?" if you
> stashed the kayak in the bushes.

Now that would be funny! maybe I could fish with a little
inflatable kiddy beach ring attached to my wading belt!

> Try e-mailing a rafting company (like near Glacier) and pretend to want
> buy one to fish the Smith, "But your not sure if it's a good idea."
> Chances
> are they won't suggest buying one if they didn't think you could handle
> it.
> Or someone may ask to join your Smith permit and show you the ropes...or
> paddles...or something.

The permit will be full, I m tagging along with some folks who are
just going to raft. < Somebody s got to carry all the extra stuff <G>>
But I ll try your suggestion.

Has anyone here gone down the Smith? I imagine it runs differently
according to the flows. I ll be going late June and should it be
fairly low then as we haven t had all that much snow , as Warren seems
to be hogging it all ....

MT

brians
February 18th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Mark Tinsky wrote:

> Generally I fish the Misourri River. Generally wading and
> occaisionally floating in a drift boat. The problem with floating is
> you can t always be at the right place at the right time. The trouble
> with wading is sometimes the channel runs along the banks and you
> can t get out to the islands and bars in the middle of the river.
>
> My idea was a kayak that one could go upstream in calm water and
> be able to hit these mid stream islands and bars , float back to a
> put in and not need a shuttle. Wasn t necc thinking about fishing out
> of it.
>
> I also have an opp to go down the Smith river this Spring. I know
> there s some rough water there. Would a fishing Kayak be able to
> handle white water also, for someone whos not an expert?

I've heard some great feedback on these:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/boats/therideangler_a.html

brians

Charlie Choc
February 19th, 2004, 12:26 AM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:59:20 -0800, brians > wrote:

>I've heard some great feedback on these:
>http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/boats/therideangler_a.html

I have two of the 'non angler' versions. I added my own rod holders,
etc. They are great to fish out of, but I've never tried them in
anything rougher than light surf.
--
Charlie...

troutbum_mt
February 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM
says...
> Has anyone here gone down the Smith? I imagine it runs differently
> according to the flows. I ll be going late June and should it be
> fairly low then as we haven t had all that much snow , as Warren seems
> to be hogging it all ....

Scroll down to "Smith, Judith, and Musselshell River Basins."
ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/mt.txt

Looks like they are doing better than we are over here.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

asadi
February 19th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Typically, what makes a good fishing platform shares none of the qualities
that make for good whitewater use.

The Kayak I fish out of is 'rated' at a class two and kayaking in a class
three is a get real wet riot.

You could read this....

http://www.waywardflyfishing.com/articleKayak.htm

john

Skip Summer
February 20th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Have a Pungo, made my Wilderness Systems.
12 feet, very stable, tracks well, big
opening, easy in easy out. Skip

Jeff Shafer
February 21st, 2004, 05:58 PM
(Skip Summer) wrote in message >...
> Have a Pungo, made my Wilderness Systems.
> 12 feet, very stable, tracks well, big
> opening, easy in easy out. Skip

I'm with Skip - the Wilderness Pungo is stable, yet fast on the open
water. Handles some rapids, up to class 2 at least. Mine doesn't
have the newest seat configuration, but I hear it's a great seat.

Good Luck,
Jeff Shafer

just al
February 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM
I deleted the message with the link to the kayak fishing tips. Woudl
someone re-post it?

"Jeff Shafer" > wrote in message
om...
> (Skip Summer) wrote in message
> > Have a Pungo, made my Wilderness Systems.
> > 12 feet, very stable, tracks well, big
> > opening, easy in easy out. Skip
>

> I'm with Skip - the Wilderness Pungo is stable, yet fast on the open
> water. Handles some rapids, up to class 2 at least. Mine doesn't
> have the newest seat configuration, but I hear it's a great seat.
>
> Good Luck,
> Jeff Shafer

Mark Tinsky
February 21st, 2004, 07:21 PM
In article >, "asadi"
> wrote:

> Typically, what makes a good fishing platform shares none of the qualities
> that make for good whitewater use.
>
> The Kayak I fish out of is 'rated' at a class two and kayaking in a class
> three is a get real wet riot.
>
> You could read this....
>
> http://www.waywardflyfishing.com/articleKayak.htm
>
> john

Thanx John
That s a good informative article that has info I need MT