PDA

View Full Version : Taunting TR: Texas Tailwater

Conan the Librarian
February 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM
ROFFians,

Since many of you are locked up in your cabins waiting out the
winter, I figured I'd taunt you with a little excursion I went on.
Yesterday's temp was in the 70's, with a clear-blue sky and mild south
breeze. So I made arrangements to get the afternoon off and headed
out to the local tailwater fishery where they stock factory trouts.

This was my first time to this particular area, and when I arrived
it looked like almost perfect habitat. It starts off as a long placid
pool that narrows, first deeply undercutting the close bank and then
turning into a fast, shallow, boulder-strewn run. It then plunges
over a little fall (~7' high) into a deep pool with a huge boulder
breaking up the current into two fast lanes right at its head.

This whole fishery is primarily a lead and lob, dodge and dredge,
chuck and duck fishery, as the popular "flies" seem to be SJ worms,
glo-bugs, and disco midges, with a rare fish taken on a dry. But, I
still like to prospect with a dry at first, as it limbers up my
casting and it's just more fun than slinging shot.

I tied on a #16 Sierra bright dot (the flourescent body makes it a
decent attractor fly for these fish) and started working my way
upstream from below the bottom pool. The water was tough wading, not
because of the speed of the flow (river flow was about 270 cfs
yesterday), but because there are lots of sudden dropoffs and the
bottom gets a bit mucky in some spots, and you can easily wind up
sinking in quite a bit more than you anticipated.

After one pass through all the likely spots of this ~1/4 mile of
stream, without so much as the sign of a fish, I decided to tie on an
indicator and a dropper. It just so happens that my favorite
indicator is a #10 Stimulator. :-) I tied a #14 partridge and olive
soft hackle to the bend of the hook and fished that for a while.
Still no luck.

Next I switched to a #20 disco midge dropper and finally to a SJ
worm ("flesh" color seems to be the rage). I suprised myself by not
getting either rig hopelessly tangled, but still didn't have any luck.

I was fishing my new TFO 9' 5-wt. for the first extended time, and
I must say that it's a joy to cast. Coupled with a Redington CT-5/6,
it felt extremely light yet I could really feel the thing load,
something I'm not really accustomed to with my *rv*s Clearwater or old
Fenwick HMG rods.

The area I was fishing has quite a bit of tree cover along the
banks, and since I couldn't wade far enough to get away from it all, I
was having to improvise a bit (which is usually dangerous given my
skill level). But the rod responded to sidearm casts, backhand
("wrong shoulder") casts, roll casted very nicely, etc. My first
impression is that it is going to be one helluva rod for the money.

I finished up the afternoon by tossing a few recent ties of mine,
including a "clusterf*ck midge", an extended body (deer) brown drake,
and several others. I still didn't catch anything (they were
*supposed* to have stocked this area twice already this year), but I
had a great time getting back in the swing of things, and it was fun
to see that my tying skills are coming along well enough that not only
do my flies look better in the vise, but they perform well on the
water.

Now if I could just catch some fish with them.

Chuck Vance (50+ lines just to say I got skunked)

Willi
February 19th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Conan the Librarian wrote:

> Next I switched to a #20 disco midge dropper and finally to a SJ
> worm ("flesh" color seems to be the rage). I suprised myself by not
> getting either rig hopelessly tangled, but still didn't have any luck.

You might try a chamois worm dyed "mauve" with RITT dye (Tip from
Bruiser). As close as you can get to fishing bait, but still being
legal. Those tailwater fish love 'em.

> I was fishing my new TFO 9' 5-wt. for the first extended time, and
> I must say that it's a joy to cast. Coupled with a Redington CT-5/6,
> it felt extremely light yet I could really feel the thing load,
> something I'm not really accustomed to with my *rv*s Clearwater or old
> Fenwick HMG rods.

Those CT's are nice reels. Hard to find, but there's an occasional new
one on EBAY for about $50 to $60 - a great deal if you find one. Just
ordered an 8 weight TFO TiCR from Bill Keine - hope I like it as much.

I did some exploring yesterday. My home river is starting to open up. A
couple more weeks and the fish should start getting active.

Willi

Tim J.
February 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM
"Conan the Librarian" wrote...
> ROFFians,
>
> Since many of you are locked up in your cabins waiting out the
> winter,
<snip>

Yeah, yeah. Rub it in. Actually, this week is starting to warm nicely up here in
the GWN. We may even get up into the low 40's for the weekend. :)

Entertaining post, Chuck. Thanks.
--
TL,
Tim

Willi
February 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Conan The Librarian wrote:

> Heck, at one point I was wishing I had my warmwater flies with me, as
> there were some spots that looked like prime Guadalupe bass habitat
> (which is really not all that different from trout habitat).

What are those Guadalupe Bass like?

Just live in rivers?

How big?

Willi

Conan The Librarian
February 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Willi wrote:

> You might try a chamois worm dyed "mauve" with RITT dye (Tip from
> Bruiser). As close as you can get to fishing bait, but still being
> legal. Those tailwater fish love 'em.

Thanks for the tip. I have to admit though that I feel sort of odd
fishing "worms" and "eggs" after deciding I wanted to go after these
guys with a flyrod instead of spinning tackle. :-}

> Those CT's are nice reels. Hard to find, but there's an occasional new
> one on EBAY for about $50 to $60 - a great deal if you find one.

I first bought a 3/4 to go with my TFO 3-wt., and was so happy with
it that I went searching for one to replace my Clearwater 5. This was
just about the time that someone here gave the heads-up about them being
discontinued, so I went bargain hunting. I found one for about $70, and
while I was looking for a spare spool, I was able to pick up another
complete reel for just a bit more than the spool cost. (They had
advertised having spools, but were all out, and instead offered to sell
me the whole reel at a big discount.)

> Just
> ordered an 8 weight TFO TiCR from Bill Keine - hope I like it as much.

I haven't cast the TiCR series yet (I've got a "professional" 5-wt
and the basic 3-wt), but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Actually, there was this one guy who runs a little shop near the
river who was complaining about them, but he admitted to never having
cast one himself. He was just ****ed because they're not Amurrcan-made
(and he's probably afraid they'll cut into his Sage sales).

> I did some exploring yesterday. My home river is starting to open up. A
> couple more weeks and the fish should start getting active.

Oh good ... that means we'll be getting pictures of your exploits
soon?

Chuck Vance

Conan The Librarian
February 20th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2004 07:10:57 -0800, (Conan the Librarian)
> wrote:
>
>> Since many of you are locked up in your cabins waiting out the
>>winter,
>

> PHHHHTTTTT !

Heh. Don't worry, by the time July rolls around "the foot will be
on the other shoe" (to paraphrase the great James McMurtry), and we'll
be hiding out inside down here.

>>I still didn't catch anything....
>
> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Touche. I admit that I had second thoughts about posting a "taunt"
where I didn't catch anything, but it was such a nice day on the water
that it was worth crowing about. With our god-awful summers, we have to
take our weather taunts when we can. (And if the weather holds like
this, I expect the bass and sunfish should be starting to prowl the
shallows pretty soon.)

Heck, at one point I was wishing I had my warmwater flies with me,
as there were some spots that looked like prime Guadalupe bass habitat
(which is really not all that different from trout habitat).

Chuck Vance

Conan The Librarian
February 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Willi wrote:

> What are those Guadalupe Bass like?

Feisty little devils.

> Just live in rivers?

Yep. Mostly fast-moving sections in streams/rivers.

> How big?

I think the record is about 4 lbs. Most of the ones I have been
lucky enough to catch are much smaller, say in the 10-15" range.

Let's see ... here's the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. site:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/species/gdb/gdb.htm

And here's a bit more:

http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Bass-Other-Bass/Guadalupe-Bass.html

As the article says, a big part of the fun of catching these guys is
they live in beautiful areas (once again, like trout, no?).

Chuck Vance

Willi
February 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Conan The Librarian wrote:

> Willi wrote:
>
>> What are those Guadalupe Bass like?
>

> Feisty little devils.
>
>> Just live in rivers?
>

> Yep. Mostly fast-moving sections in streams/rivers.
>
>> How big?
>

> I think the record is about 4 lbs. Most of the ones I have been
> lucky enough to catch are much smaller, say in the 10-15" range.
>
> Let's see ... here's the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. site:
>
> http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/species/gdb/gdb.htm
>
> And here's a bit more:
>
> http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Bass-Other-Bass/Guadalupe-Bass.html
>

> As the article says, a big part of the fun of catching these guys is
> they live in beautiful areas (once again, like trout, no?).

Sound alot like Smallmouths (considering that they'll interbreed -
pretty similar). Must be fun, especially in smaller streams. When I
lived in central Illinois, I had ball with Smallmouths. During the
Spring, some of the better fish would move from the rivers into some
smaller streams. Lots of fun, in some of the prettiest country that
Illinois has to offer (which isn't saying a whole lot).

Willi

Mu Young Lee
February 21st, 2004, 01:04 AM
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Conan The Librarian wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I have to admit though that I feel sort of odd
> fishing "worms" and "eggs" after deciding I wanted to go after these
> guys with a flyrod instead of spinning tackle. :-}

I see the smiley but really, what is so wrong with egg or worm or leech
patterns? Why is the mayfly held in such high regard? I have to respect
the guy who goes to the trouble of fishing with live hexagenia nymphs for
steelhead and holds them in his mouth to keep them warm and wiggling.

Mu

Willi
February 21st, 2004, 03:35 PM
Mu Young Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Conan The Librarian wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tip. I have to admit though that I feel sort of odd
>>fishing "worms" and "eggs" after deciding I wanted to go after these
>>guys with a flyrod instead of spinning tackle. :-}
>

> I see the smiley but really, what is so wrong with egg or worm or leech
> patterns? Why is the mayfly held in such high regard? I have to respect
> the guy who goes to the trouble of fishing with live hexagenia nymphs for
> steelhead and holds them in his mouth to keep them warm and wiggling.

Cool image. Reminds me of an older guy who taught me alot about trout
fishing when I first moved to Colorado.

Willi

Conan the Librarian
February 22nd, 2004, 01:40 AM
Mu Young Lee > wrote in message td.umich.edu>...

> I see the smiley but really, what is so wrong with egg or worm or leech
> patterns? Why is the mayfly held in such high regard? I have to respect
> the guy who goes to the trouble of fishing with live hexagenia nymphs for
> steelhead and holds them in his mouth to keep them warm and wiggling.

Well, sure ... but I *really* respect the guy who would do that
with a live leech.

I'm certainly no purist, but if I'm gonna flyfish, I figure I might
as well fish something that I can't with other gear.

Heck, I used to have great luck fishing for the little factory
trouts down here with an ultralight spinning rig with 4 lb. line, a
small split shot and a hook that was about a #14. And that really
isn't that different from fishing egg/worm/leech imitations with fly
gear (except that I didn't have to worry about my backcast hanging in
the trees).

Well, OK, so I used cheese to bait the hook (or, "cheez", as this
was the Kraft processed stuff that came in a little "link"; garlic
flavor was especially effective).

Chuck Vance (although I didn't really want to keep it warm and
wiggling in my mouth)