PDA

View Full Version : OK, who did it........

Dave LaCourse
February 19th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I received Jim Enger's "The Incompleat Angler - A Fly Fishing Odyssey" in the
mail today. No one in my family or my local fly fishing (Lakewood) friends
sent it, so it's gotta be someone on ROFF.

Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly Rod and
Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
whomever you are.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Wayne Knight
February 19th, 2004, 09:12 PM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> I received Jim Enger's "The Incompleat Angler - A Fly Fishing Odyssey" in
the
> mail today. No one in my family or my local fly fishing (Lakewood)
friends
> sent it, so it's gotta be someone on ROFF.

I didn't send it but tis a good read from a good Michigan writer/flyfisher.

snakefiddler
February 20th, 2004, 01:05 AM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> I received Jim Enger's "The Incompleat Angler - A Fly Fishing Odyssey" in
the
> mail today. No one in my family or my local fly fishing (Lakewood)
friends
> sent it, so it's gotta be someone on ROFF.
>
> Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly
Rod and
> Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
> whomever you are.
> Dave
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would be
Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

Snakefiddler- bipitty-boppity-boo..
(one can only wish)

Wayne Knight
February 20th, 2004, 01:47 AM
"snakefiddler" > wrote in message

> Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would be
> Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=167746970

snakefiddler
February 20th, 2004, 02:54 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message

> "snakefiddler" > wrote in message
> >

> > Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would be
> > Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....
> >
> http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=167746970

Thanks Wayne-
best price I have seen on it yet...

-Snake

B J Conner
February 20th, 2004, 04:11 AM
It was someone who thought you could read. That would eliminate most of
Roff from the list of usual suspects.

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> I received Jim Enger's "The Incompleat Angler - A Fly Fishing Odyssey" in
the
> mail today. No one in my family or my local fly fishing (Lakewood)
friends
> sent it, so it's gotta be someone on ROFF.
>
> Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly
Rod and
> Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
> whomever you are.
> Dave
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Dave LaCourse
February 20th, 2004, 04:23 AM
BJ writes:

>It was someone who thought you could read. That would eliminate most of
>Roff from the list of usual suspects.

Wow. Between you and Tom L. I am taking some **** today. Not to fear,
however. The book does have illustrations, so I'll be ok.

Jeff Miller
February 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM
dave - based on bj's typical manner of saying things, i think he's
talking about the rest of us, not you.

jeff (...and, it wasn't me, i don't know how to address mail)

Dave LaCourse wrote:
> BJ writes:
>

>>It was someone who thought you could read. That would eliminate most of
>>Roff from the list of usual suspects.
>

> Wow. Between you and Tom L. I am taking some **** today. Not to fear,
> however. The book does have illustrations, so I'll be ok.

JR
February 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly Rod and
> Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
> whomever you are.

Dave,

I don't remember sending it, but then again, my memory these days is
shot all to hell. It is just the sort of nice, thoughtful thing I
*would* do, however.... just like me....., so it probably was me,
although, no offense, but I have a feeling, just the shadow of an
inkling, that if it was me, it probably wasn't you I meant to send it
too...... I'm so confused lately. Anyhow, just to be sure, when you
finish reading it, please return it to me, 'cause it sounds like a great
book, and I'd like to read it (if I haven't already, that is), and maybe
seeing it (again?) will jog the
old synapses and I can send it on to the rightful recipient.

JR
(BTW did you get the Audi I sent?)

Tim J.
February 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
"JR" wrote...
> Dave LaCourse wrote:
> > Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly Rod
and
> > Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
> > whomever you are.
>
> I don't remember sending it, but then again, my memory these days is
> shot all to hell. It is just the sort of nice, thoughtful thing I
> *would* do, however.... just like me....., so it probably was me,
> although, no offense, but I have a feeling, just the shadow of an
> inkling, that if it was me, it probably wasn't you I meant to send it
> too...... I'm so confused lately. Anyhow, just to be sure, when you
> finish reading it, please return it to me, 'cause it sounds like a great
> book, and I'd like to read it (if I haven't already, that is), and maybe
> seeing it (again?) will jog the
> old synapses and I can send it on to the rightful recipient.
>
> JR
> (BTW did you get the Audi I sent?)

Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Did you also send him a good-looking blonde? :)
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
February 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
"JR" wrote...
> Dave LaCourse wrote:
> > Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly Rod
and
> > Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
> > whomever you are.
>
> I don't remember sending it, but then again, my memory these days is
> shot all to hell. It is just the sort of nice, thoughtful thing I
> *would* do, however.... just like me....., so it probably was me,
> although, no offense, but I have a feeling, just the shadow of an
> inkling, that if it was me, it probably wasn't you I meant to send it
> too...... I'm so confused lately. Anyhow, just to be sure, when you
> finish reading it, please return it to me, 'cause it sounds like a great
> book, and I'd like to read it (if I haven't already, that is), and maybe
> seeing it (again?) will jog the
> old synapses and I can send it on to the rightful recipient.
>
> JR
> (BTW did you get the Audi I sent?)

Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Did you also send him a good-looking blonde? :)
--
TL,
Tim
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Wolfgang
February 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM
"snakefiddler" > wrote in message

> Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would
be
> Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
translation......please.

Wolfgang
thank you.

Ken Fortenberry
February 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Hey ! No fair voting twice, what do think this is Chicago ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
February 20th, 2004, 02:01 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
> Tim J. wrote:
> >
> > Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.
>
> Hey ! No fair voting twice, what do think this is Chicago ? ;-)

Yeah - Outlook Distress took over (again) and made me look like a fool. That
goes for all my other posts, too.
--
TL,
Tim

Dave LaCourse
February 20th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Tim J. writes:

>Did you also send him a good-looking blonde? :)
>--

She has salt and pepper hair, and he did not send her.

d;o)

snakefiddler
February 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "snakefiddler" > wrote in message
> >
> > Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would
> be
> > Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....
>
> Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
> translation......please.
>
> Wolfgang
> thank you.

In what language was it first published?

Snake

William Claspy
February 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM
On 2/20/04 2:49 PM, in article ,
"snakefiddler" > wrote:

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> "snakefiddler" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would
>> be
>>> Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....
>>
>> Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
>> translation......please.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> thank you.
>>

> In what language was it first published?

Dutch, 1675.

We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae (Bibel der
Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-) You're welcome to stop on
your way to Penns and have a look though.

Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography (article
author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a mystic,
for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with God, and he
saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
existence."

Bill

Bill

Wolfgang
February 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM
,
> "snakefiddler" > wrote:

> > In what language was it first published?
>
> Dutch, 1675.
>
> We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae
(Bibel der
> Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-)

Well, I bet you could if you really wanted to. :)

> You're welcome to stop on
> your way to Penns and have a look though.

I may just do that. It's possible that I'll be arriving via Asadi's
land yacht. If it turns out that way the logistics might work out.

> Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography
(article
> author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a
mystic,
> for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with
God, and he
> saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
> existence."

Interesting. I ran across a reference to "A Figure of Man's Miserable
Life" in Martin Kemp's "Visualizations: The Nature Book of Art and
Science" (that's "Nature", as in the British scientific journal) a few
months ago. At the time I didn't recall that I'd ever heard of
Swammerdam before. Suddenly, upon reading your excerpt above, I
realize that I had!

Time to do a bit of research.

Wolfgang

William Claspy
February 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
On 2/20/04 3:33 PM, in article ,
"Wolfgang" > wrote:

> "William Claspy" > wrote in message
>> On 2/20/04 2:49 PM, in article
> ,
>> "snakefiddler" > wrote:
>
>>> In what language was it first published?
>>
>> Dutch, 1675.
>>
>> We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae
> (Bibel der
>> Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-)
>
> Well, I bet you could if you really wanted to. :)

Yes, but I like my job and would like to keep it. :-) And there are other
things in that room that I'd probably take first....

>> You're welcome to stop on
>> your way to Penns and have a look though.
>
> I may just do that. It's possible that I'll be arriving via Asadi's
> land yacht. If it turns out that way the logistics might work out.

Just let me know! A stop on either (or both) ends would be fine. I'll
probably do a half-Penns again this year.

That collection (http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/dittrick/rare.htm, it's across
the street- I can see the building from my window) has a large Darwiniana
collection as well, and I'm going to try to have a display up in our library
of a large number of early 20th century fishing books.

>> Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography
> (article
>> author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a
> mystic,
>> for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with
> God, and he
>> saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
>> existence."
>
> Interesting. I ran across a reference to "A Figure of Man's Miserable
> Life" in Martin Kemp's "Visualizations: The Nature Book of Art and
> Science" (that's "Nature", as in the British scientific journal) a few
> months ago. At the time I didn't recall that I'd ever heard of
> Swammerdam before. Suddenly, upon reading your excerpt above, I
> realize that I had!

I enjoy Kemp's columns.

According to the DSB author, the English translation of Ephemeri vita
published in London in 1691 leaves out the "hymns to the Creator" :-)
There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.

I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.

> Time to do a bit of research.

Research 'R' Us.

Bill

asadi
February 20th, 2004, 08:52 PM
"snakefiddler" > wrote in message
. . .my dream book would be

....anything with foldouts...

john

snakefiddler
February 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
"asadi" > wrote in message

> "snakefiddler" > wrote in message
> . . .my dream book would be
>

> ...anything with foldouts...
>
> john

LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know this,
I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....

Snakefiddler- not that I was snoopin or anything....

Jeff Taylor
February 20th, 2004, 11:34 PM
"snakefiddler" > wrote in message

> LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know
this,
> I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....

Hope that wasn't in his sock draw... :-]

Mike Connor
February 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
"snakefiddler" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> In what language was it first published?
>
> Snake

Dutch, about 1675 I believe. Have to look it up .

Tl
MC

snakefiddler
February 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
"Jeff Taylor" > wrote in message

> "snakefiddler" > wrote in message
> >
> > LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know
> this,
> > I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....
>

> Hope that wasn't in his sock draw... :-]

Naw, they were under his bed....

Snakefiddler- ya, I was snoopin.... maybe that's why he put a lock on his
door.....

Wolfgang
February 21st, 2004, 04:00 AM
"William Claspy" > wrote in message

> I enjoy Kemp's columns.

I had mixed feelings about the book which, as I'm sure you've guessed, is a
compilation of his essays from the journal. Kemp is bright and he has
interesting ideas, but his writing style doesn't do much for me and, despite
his stated intention of providing some sort of thematic continuity through
the book, I didn't see much evidence of it. In his defense, I'll say that
this is a common failing of such efforts. I guess it isn't surprising that
authors' intimacy with their own works allows them to see connections that
aren't apparent to some of their readers. That said, most of the individaul
essays (or such of them as I remember) were well worth reading.

> According to the DSB author, the English translation of Ephemeri vita
> published in London in 1691 leaves out the "hymns to the Creator" :-)

I didn't know that. And, given that I've never seen the original or any
translation thereof, I probably never would have guessed it. :)

> There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.

Cool. As a matter of fact, I'm officially on vacation for the next week. A
trip to Mad Town might be fun. You don't happen to know which library it's
in, do you?......they've got a couple dozen on campus.

> I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
> drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.

I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing came
up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet. I'm
hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.

> > Time to do a bit of research.
>
> Research 'R' Us.

More fun that drowning kittens! :)

Wolfgang

JR
February 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing came
> up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet. I'm
> hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.

http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html

Wolfgang
February 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
"JR" > wrote in message ...
> Wolfgang wrote:
> >
> > I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing
came
> > up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet.
I'm
> > hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.
>

> http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html

I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.

Wolfgang

JR
February 22nd, 2004, 12:01 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> "JR" > wrote

> > http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html
>
> I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.

Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
fascinating, but unfortunately missing page 18.

Most good university libraries have the English translation of the Bybel
der Natuur, OR, if you've got a lot of nickels lying around:

http://tinyurl.com/2cz5n

JR

Stephen Welsh
February 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
JR > wrote in :

> Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
> fascinating, but unfortunately missing page 18.

I only grok pictures anyway ...

Thanks for the URL btw ... fascinating material.

Steve (off to check the library catalogue ...)

Wolfgang
February 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
"JR" > wrote in message ...
> Wolfgang wrote:
> >
> > "JR" > wrote
>
> > > http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html
> >
> > I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.
>
> Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
> fascinating,

Well, maybe ROFF has an enterprising young scholar with more time (and,
perhaps, less good sense) than money? :)

> but unfortunately missing page 18.

Which, probably, had all the juicy bits. :(

> Most good university libraries have the English translation of the Bybel
> der Natuur, OR, if you've got a lot of nickels lying around:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2cz5n

Ouch! :(

Wolfgang
who has, unfortunately, not yet cornered the market on shiny new nickels.

William Claspy
February 24th, 2004, 05:25 AM
On 2/20/04 11:00 PM, in article
, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>That said, most of the individaul
> essays (or such of them as I remember) were well worth reading.

Well, his stuff and the book reviews are about the only things I published
in Nature that I can understand :-)

That said, I've dabbled in the intersection of science and the humanities
and it's a tough creek to straddle without getting wet.

>> There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.
>
> Cool. As a matter of fact, I'm officially on vacation for the next week. A
> trip to Mad Town might be fun. You don't happen to know which library it's
> in, do you?......they've got a couple dozen on campus.

I've been out of town (what's with these February vacations?) hope you
haven't already made the trek. Here's the info on their copy:

Special Collections (Memorial Library): Non-circulating
Catalog: UW Madison
Call Number: Thordarson T 2474

>> I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
>> drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.
>
> I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing came
> up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet. I'm
> hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.

I don't think Kemp got that translation quite right. Not that I know any
Dutch. Anyhow, someone else posted the link to some pdf'ed versions of his
writings. Which are all well and good, but if you can make the trip to
Madison, seeing the 1681 version in the flesh (in the vellum?) would be
awfully cool.

Bill

Wolfgang
February 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
"William Claspy" > wrote in message
> On 2/20/04 11:00 PM, in article
> , "Wolfgang"
>
> wrote:
>
> >That said, most of the individaul
> > essays (or such of them as I remember) were well worth reading.
>
> Well, his stuff and the book reviews are about the only things I published
> in Nature that I can understand :-)

The nice thing about a science journal with such a broad scope is that you
can fool most of the people most of the time. :)

Check out Napolean Chagnon's contributions to "Science" and Patrick
Tierney's "Darkness in El Dorado" for a lovely example.

> That said, I've dabbled in the intersection of science and the humanities
> and it's a tough creek to straddle without getting wet.

True, and Kemp does a pretty good job of it. I just didn't think the book
hung together all that well.

> >> There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.
> >
> > Cool. As a matter of fact, I'm officially on vacation for the next
week. A
> > trip to Mad Town might be fun. You don't happen to know which library
it's
> > in, do you?......they've got a couple dozen on campus.
>
> I've been out of town (what's with these February vacations?)

Boss is out of town for the week, I've got vacation time to burn, and I'm
long overdue for a road trip.

> hope you haven't already made the trek.

I'm out'a here in about half an hour.

> Here's the info on their copy:
>
> Special Collections (Memorial Library): Non-circulating
> Catalog: UW Madison
> Call Number: Thordarson T 2474

Thanks. Hm......Thordarson......remind me some time tell you about Rock
Island.

> >> I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
> >> drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.
> >
> > I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing
came
> > up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet.
I'm
> > hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.
>
> I don't think Kemp got that translation quite right. Not that I know any
> Dutch.

Yeah, that's had me a bit confused throughout this exchange.

> Anyhow, someone else posted the link to some pdf'ed versions of his
> writings. Which are all well and good, but if you can make the trip to
> Madison, seeing the 1681 version in the flesh (in the vellum?) would be
> awfully cool.

Not sure I'll make it on this trip, but Madison is only about an hour
away.....I WILL see it eventually.

Thanks again, Bill.

Wolfgang