PDA

View Full Version : TR: Winter Rocketry

Frank Reid
February 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Got a post from ROFF lurker, Tony Norton. Since I was batchin' it for the
week, could I take a day off work and fish. "Uh, let me think,.. YES."
Talked to Allen Epps and he decided he needed a break too. Tony had read in
the Washington Post that Beaver Creek, near Hagerstown, MD, was the top
limestone in the state. 'Bout an hour away, temps in the mid-fifties, time
to hit it.
Allen got directions from the guy in the Bass Pro fly shop. "Just pull in
at the hatchery and fish downstream from there." "There's one problem with
the river though. Terrible floods early last Fall. Inundated the hatchery
and 15,000 fish, including most of their brood stock got dumped in the
creek."
Well, we pull in, kit up and the water is a bit murky. I've got my new St.
Croix Avid 2 wt to break in. Stream is about 10' across. I drop in a #18
BH pheasant tail with a gray midge nymph dropper at a likely pool. Third
drift, fish. A pretty 10" bow. Within a 20 minutes, I've landed 5, all
about the same size. We talk to one of the local landowners and she points
out the other channel. Allen wanders over there and I follow about 15
minutes later.
The "other channel" is a kiddy pool, i.e. about 1 to 2 foot deep and
hundreds of fish are stacked in there. The water is about 10 degrees
warmer, crystal clear with greenery shot through. There's a midge hatch
going on, the fish are hitting anything you throw at them.
After a watching Tony and Allen nail dozens of fish in there (I got some
too), I wander downstream until I find a really pretty little J-pool (sign
said "J-pool"). A bit deeper, so I raise the indicator and throw in my PT
and midge combo. WHAM. Get hit like a ton of bricks and the fish hits the
engines and propels himself 4' straight up in the air, shaking drops of
rainbow crystal over the pool. I bring the 12" football to hand and smile.
Beautiful fish, dark gray to silver, scarlet stripe slashing to the tail
with rich black to blue spots. I sat on that 20' long pool for about 2
hours and sore-lipped every fish in there. One was about 14 inches and he
snapped my tippet just as I touched him.
Some takes were as gentle and subtle as a butterfly kiss. Just a twitch of
the tippet without moving the indicator. Others were like my Winter rocket.
Didn't want to be hooked and will damn well tell you about it. Granted,
these were stockies, but they had wintered in a beautiful little limestoner.
Little fat fish with deep, rich coloring. Most, if not all had linebacker
shoulders on them.
Allen got the big fish of the day, I'll let him tell you about it. It was
just wonderful, feeling the warmth of the Sun on my back, looking into
crystal clear water with tonnes of stupid fish. We don't get many days like
this in mid-Feburary in Maryland, especially days where three guys can
wander 100 yards of water and catch 40 to 60 fish apiece, including some
that launch themselves high enough to break those mid-Winter blues.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Allen Epps
February 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
In article >, Frank Reid
<moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:

> Franks TR Snipped,

Indeed a hell of a nice day. It's good to feel the sun on your face and
a flyrod in your hand.
Of course the typical first trip of the year blunders. snipped off the
remains of the leader on the three weight reel from last year. Hmmm no
leaders in the vest, well, I'll just tie one up , hmmm nothing but 5
to 7X tippet. If anyone's thinking they have a new dynamite leader
recipe for ten foot leader composed of the aformentioned tippets they
might want to try it before they start marketing. But made do and
starting catching fish. mostly the 8 to 10 inch range with an
occasional 10 and 1/4 inch one. Tony came over and started showing me
why Wooly Buggers are the indispensable fly we all know they are.
Finally joined him and the first cast after he lost a serious fish I
hooked a similar one. Nothing too serious but a nice 16 or 17 inch
fish. photo's on ABPF when Tony gets them to me. For the record the
following flies caught fish for me over the six hour period we were
there.

Size 8 Wooly Bigger
Size 16 Snow Shoe Hair emerger
size 18 CDC Caddis emerger
Size 18 parachute adams (Maybe an adams hatch :^)
Size 20 PTN
Size 16 Copper John
Size 14 green Weenie BH
Size 22 glass bead midge (swap fly)
Size 16 EHC

So to say they were selective would not be accurate and it was fun
trying different flies. Frank finally took pity on me (or was maybe
just startled and a bit scared by my henious flayling) and passed me a
real leader which made things a bit better. By about 1:30 the
twitching due to lack of fish in 3 months had subsided a bit. We went
and wandered around the fish hatchery a bit to ogle the brood stock.
Came home, had a beer and reflected on what great group of guys I've
met through ROFF and how nice it is to take a day off, catch a few fish
and revel in a soon to come season.

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Bill Mason
February 21st, 2004, 12:38 AM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> Got a post from ROFF lurker, Tony Norton. Since I was batchin' it for the
> week, could I take a day off work and fish. "Uh, let me think,.. YES."
> Talked to Allen Epps and he decided he needed a break too. Tony had read
in
> the Washington Post that Beaver Creek, near Hagerstown, MD, was the top
> limestone in the state. 'Bout an hour away, temps in the mid-fifties,
time
> to hit it.

And hit it you did! Excellent report, and I'm looking forward to Allen's.

Cheers,
Bill

Bob Patton
February 21st, 2004, 12:56 AM
Allen Epps" > wrote in message
et...
> In article >, Frank Reid
> <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:
>
> > Franks TR Snipped,
>
> Indeed a hell of a nice day. It's good to feel the sun on your face and
> a flyrod in your hand.

Great TRs, guys. Just what I needed to read on a cold Friday night.
Congrats!
Bob

Mike
February 21st, 2004, 05:48 AM
Frankie Baby
What no full Reids ????? Your slipping my friend a complete trip and
no diving.... are you sure you were near water and not at the local supermarket
fish tank????? Nice report Frank and Allen if things work out for Sunday i hope
to be doing the same thing.....

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Allen Epps
February 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM
In article >, Mike
> wrote:

Photo's now over on ABPF. Of course Tony, as the only guy to bring a
camera ends up with no shots of himself. A nice little creek and trip.

Allen

Tim J.
February 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM
"Mike" wrote...
> Frankie Baby
> What no full Reids ????? Your slipping my friend a complete trip and
> no diving.... are you sure you were near water and not at the local
supermarket
> fish tank?????

Mike - As you can see in the photos, Frank never entered the water. It's the
only known Reid-prevention system. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Knight
February 21st, 2004, 03:02 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> Mike - As you can see in the photos, Frank never entered the water. It's
the
> only known Reid-prevention system. :)

that assumes he is not fishing in a fault area.

Willi
February 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM
Frank Reid wrote:

> We don't get many days like
> this in mid-Feburary in Maryland, especially days where three guys can
> wander 100 yards of water and catch 40 to 60 fish apiece, including some
> that launch themselves high enough to break those mid-Winter blues.

Very cool! You don't get too many days like that anywhere, anytime!

Went for a walk today all the river running through town. Water was
completely open and had some decent flow. Saw no fish stirring, but that
should change shortly.

Willi

Frank Reid
February 21st, 2004, 03:37 PM
> > Mike - As you can see in the photos, Frank never entered the water. It's
> the only known Reid-prevention system. :)
>
> that assumes he is not fishing in a fault area.

I have no-fault insurance, so I'm prohibited from fishing in California.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

DaveMohnsen
February 21st, 2004, 04:06 PM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message
et...
> In article >, Frank Reid
> <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:
>
> > Franks TR Snipped,
>
> Some of Allens Stuff snipped >

> For the record the
> following flies caught fish for me over the six hour period we were
> there.
>
> Size 8 Wooly Bigger
> Size 16 Snow Shoe Hair emerger
> size 18 CDC Caddis emerger
> Size 18 parachute adams (Maybe an adams hatch :^)
> Size 20 PTN
> Size 16 Copper John
> Size 14 green Weenie BH
> Size 22 glass bead midge (swap fly)
> Size 16 EHC
>
> So to say they were selective would not be accurate and it was fun
> trying different flies.
> Allen
> Catonsville, MD

Hi Frank and Allen,
Nice trip reports and pics of the trip. (Heck, I haven't even been out this
year, yet.)
I especially liked the building complex in the background of the pics. (the
hatchery?) Reminds me of one of my summer places residences that I have
pictures of . . .uhh . . .uhh . . .er . . .from the internet. . . not . . .
actually mine . . .but I got the pictures . . .that counts . . .I think . .
..kinda.
Nice touch to have street lighting and sidewalks to the river :)
Trip almost sounds similar to having fun!
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver
(envious . . .but as Willi said in another post . . .things gonna be
a'changin pretty soon out here in the wilderness . . . . when the fish start
moving a bit more)

Allen Epps
February 21st, 2004, 04:13 PM
In article et>,
DaveMohnsen > wrote:

> "Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> et...
> > In article >, Frank Reid
> > <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:
> >
> > > Franks TR Snipped,
> >
> > Some of Allens Stuff snipped >
>
> > For the record the
> > following flies caught fish for me over the six hour period we were
> > there.
> >
> > Size 8 Wooly Bigger
> > Size 16 Snow Shoe Hair emerger
> > size 18 CDC Caddis emerger
> > Size 18 parachute adams (Maybe an adams hatch :^)
> > Size 20 PTN
> > Size 16 Copper John
> > Size 14 green Weenie BH
> > Size 22 glass bead midge (swap fly)
> > Size 16 EHC
> >
> > So to say they were selective would not be accurate and it was fun
> > trying different flies.
> > Allen
> > Catonsville, MD
>
> Hi Frank and Allen,
> Nice trip reports and pics of the trip. (Heck, I haven't even been out this
> year, yet.)
> I especially liked the building complex in the background of the pics. (the
> hatchery?) Reminds me of one of my summer places residences that I have
> pictures of . . .uhh . . .uhh . . .er . . .from the internet. . . not . . .
> actually mine . . .but I got the pictures . . .that counts . . .I think . .
> .kinda.
> Nice touch to have street lighting and sidewalks to the river :)
> Trip almost sounds similar to having fun!
> BestWishes,
> DaveMohnsen
> Denver
> (envious . . .but as Willi said in another post . . .things gonna be
> a'changin pretty soon out here in the wilderness . . . . when the fish start
> moving a bit more)

It's actually someones house. The part of the creek we were fishing is
on private property but there's a sign that says you're welcome to fish
but please don't litter. A refreshing change from the way things seem
to be going.

Allen

DaveMohnsen
February 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message
et...
> In article et>,
> DaveMohnsen > wrote:
>
> > "Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> > et...

> > > Some of Allens Stuff snipped >
> >
> > > For the record the
> > > following flies caught fish for me over the six hour period we were
> > > there.
> > >
> > > Size 8 Wooly Bigger
> > > Size 16 Snow Shoe Hair emerger
> > > size 18 CDC Caddis emerger
> > > Size 18 parachute adams (Maybe an adams hatch :^)
> > > Size 20 PTN
> > > Size 16 Copper John
> > > Size 14 green Weenie BH
> > > Size 22 glass bead midge (swap fly)
> > > Size 16 EHC
> > >
> > > So to say they were selective would not be accurate and it was fun
> > > trying different flies.
> > > Allen
> > > Catonsville, MD
> >
> > Hi Frank and Allen,
> > Nice trip reports and pics of the trip. (Heck, I haven't even been out
this
> > year, yet.)
> > I especially liked the building complex in the background of the pics.
(the
> > hatchery?) Reminds me of one of my summer places residences that I have
> > pictures of . . .uhh . . .uhh . . .er . . .from the internet. . . not .
.. .
> > actually mine . . .but I got the pictures . . .that counts . . .I think
.. .
> > .kinda.
> > Nice touch to have street lighting and sidewalks to the river :)
> > Trip almost sounds similar to having fun!
> > BestWishes,
> > DaveMohnsen
> > Denver
> > (envious . . .but as Willi said in another post . . .things gonna be
> > a'changin pretty soon out here in the wilderness . . . . when the fish
start
> > moving a bit more)
> >

> It's actually someones house. The part of the creek we were fishing is
> on private property but there's a sign that says you're welcome to fish
> but please don't litter. A refreshing change from the way things seem
> to be going.
>
> Allen

That is impressive! Didn't see that much when I was in New York State.
I'd be willing to send a thank you note, from a guy out in the West for
letting you . . .uhh . . .East ROFFians fish that . . .with that owner
attitude . . .if you can lead me in the right direction. . .uhh . . .unless
.. . .'Scarbocci' . . .or a representative wants to visit me. :)
DaveMohnsen
(kinda thinking, much lower profile than lurker)

just al
February 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
Western fisherman think, "I'll let my fly drift there becuase there should
be a fish somewhere here. Yes! I was right!"

Eastern fisherman think, "If I cast there, I'll have to use 7x tippet and
mend twice lightly. Once the fly drifts through, I may get one more cast if
I am short on the drift, otherwise, if I'm long, I'll have to rest this hole
about a half hour and give it another go. So, I better get it right this
time..."

Each area has its rewards...gullible, large, hard fighting *******s or
smaller, pickier SOB's.

Either way it's a ton of fun.

"DaveMohnsen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> et...
> > In article et>,
> > DaveMohnsen > wrote:
> >
> > > "Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> > > et...

> > > Hi Frank and Allen,
> > > Nice trip reports and pics of the trip. (Heck, I haven't even been
out
> this
> > > year, yet.)
> > > I especially liked the building complex in the background of the pics.
> (the
> > > hatchery?) Reminds me of one of my summer places residences that I
have
> > > pictures of . . .uhh . . .uhh . . .er . . .from the internet. . . not
..
> . .
> > > actually mine . . .but I got the pictures . . .that counts . . .I
think
> . .
> > > .kinda.
> > > Nice touch to have street lighting and sidewalks to the river :)
> > > Trip almost sounds similar to having fun!
> > > BestWishes,
> > > DaveMohnsen
> > > Denver
> > > (envious . . .but as Willi said in another post . . .things gonna be
> > > a'changin pretty soon out here in the wilderness . . . . when the fish
> start
> > > moving a bit more)
> > >

> > It's actually someones house. The part of the creek we were fishing is
> > on private property but there's a sign that says you're welcome to fish
> > but please don't litter. A refreshing change from the way things seem
> > to be going.
> >
> > Allen
>
> That is impressive! Didn't see that much when I was in New York State.
> I'd be willing to send a thank you note, from a guy out in the West for
> letting you . . .uhh . . .East ROFFians fish that . . .with that owner
> attitude . . .if you can lead me in the right direction. . .uhh . .
..unless
> . . .'Scarbocci' . . .or a representative wants to visit me. :)
> DaveMohnsen
> (kinda thinking, much lower profile than lurker)

-- Rob
February 22nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
wow, great report!

-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Wayne Knight
February 22nd, 2004, 02:54 AM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> I'm prohibited from fishing in California.

Did you purchase a rider last month?

Bob Patton
February 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
//snip//>
> That's me, `xcept for the "I was right" part. I just
> *knew* that Buffalo wasn't in the east.

Of course Buffalo's not in the east. Good god. It's west of the fukkin
Hudson, ain't it? For that matter, it's west of Sixth Avenue. That prob'ly
puts Buffalo in the FAR west - somewheres around Chicago, Los Angeles, Lima,
and Fairbanks.
Bob