PDA

View Full Version : Alaska in June

Adeglen
February 21st, 2004, 08:47 PM
I'll be in the Anchorage area the last week in June and would like to know
whether I should concentrate my efforts in the Susitna river area, the Kenai
Peninsula area, or the Copper valley. I am not interested in King salmon, I
would like to fish for Red salmon, rainbow trout, or Dollies in some area where
there aren't too many people ( 5wt to 9wt stuff). Any info or recommendations I
could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John Lindsey
February 21st, 2004, 11:31 PM
You sound reasonably knowledgeable about the area. Do more homework. There
will be people in all the areas you mentioned if you drive there.

Do a Google search on Kenai Combat Fishing - be advised. Look at the
pictures of people fishing and cars parked on the highway.

Remember the rule "The further away from pavement - the better the fishing."
Lakes one hundred yards off pavement have 50% or less pressure than those
right next to the road. Lakes/rivers one half mile away only get one to two
fishermen per week. Three miles or more away only get 2-5 fishermen per
season. These are rough rules of thumb based on my observations.

Check out all fly outs carefully - some lie about their success. One Sunday
afternoon while I was waiting at a major terminal at the Anchorage Seaplane
terminal, I heard the following conversation from 4 men from the Chicago
area returning from a 7 day/6 night fly-in.
"I sure had a good time."
"Me too."
3rd guy to another guy, "You caught the most fish didn't you?"
The guy, "Yeah my best day was those 3 14" rainbow."
"Wish we'd caught some salmon." "Yeah, me too."

Like the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared
Good luck.
John