PDA

View Full Version : Re: The River Why by Duncan

Wayne Knight
February 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM
"just al" > wrote in message
> Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan?
[snip]
>I would be interested
> in your opinions...

I tried to read it several years ago, I did not like it, never finished it.
If I recall, it just did not hold my interest. One of only two such books in
the past 10 years I could not finish. If anyone cares the other was "Zipping
my Fly"

walt winter
February 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
just al wrote:
> Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan? I teach the novel
> to my high school seniors. The focus is on breaking free of the family unit
> and establishing an identity and environmental conservation. I recently had
> a guardian of a student bash the novel by saying, "...which I thought was
> convoluted, obtuse, too wordy and no doubt the dream
> book of every aging alcoholic "hippie" in America..."
>
> My principal and superintendent backed me 100%. But I would be interested
> in your opinions...

take the asshole fishin'.

wally

just al
February 25th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it's a tough first 36 pages but it gets really good. Give it another
go, or try his Brother's K

rw
February 25th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:
> "just al" > wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan?
>
> [snip]
>
>>I would be interested
>>in your opinions...
>>

> I tried to read it several years ago, I did not like it, never finished it.

Same here. It was pretentious and self important.

just al
February 26th, 2004, 12:15 AM
cool, thanks for the new title. will be checking it out.

Wayne Knight
February 26th, 2004, 12:33 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. ..

> Same here. It was pretentious and self important.

Ya know, this is the third or fourth time in the past week you and I've
agreed on a subject. Not that we've ever really had the bad blood between us
others have had but still a little scary ;)

Wayne Knight
February 26th, 2004, 02:01 AM
"bruiser" > wrote in message
> Haig-Brown is proving to
> be pretty slow going for me too.

If the Haig-Brown is "A River Never Sleeps" or "Return to the River", I'll
be more than happy to help you overcome that little problem.

bruiser
February 26th, 2004, 03:04 AM
I couldn't finish "A Flyfisherman's Blue Ridge". Haig-Brown is proving to
be pretty slow going for me too.

bruce h

Jeff Miller
February 26th, 2004, 11:17 AM
why <g> not give the kids a look at middleton's "on the spine of time".
i think there's a good master's thesis that could be developed on
middleton...

just al wrote:

> Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan? I teach the novel
> to my high school seniors. The focus is on breaking free of the family unit
> and establishing an identity and environmental conservation. I recently had
> a guardian of a student bash the novel by saying, "...which I thought was
> convoluted, obtuse, too wordy and no doubt the dream
> book of every aging alcoholic "hippie" in America..."
>
> My principal and superintendent backed me 100%. But I would be interested
> in your opinions...
>
> --
> Al Hammel
> http://groups.msn.com/FlyFishingWorldWide/favoritecasts.msnw

Charlie Choc
February 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:05:29 -0800, "bruiser"
> wrote:

> Next book I'm searching for is "The Earth is Enough" (?) by
>Middleton, which I've heard is really great.

It is a great book. http://tinyurl.com/35m7n is one place you can get
it.
--
Charlie...

Wayne Knight
February 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM
"bruiser" > wrote in message

> Seasons of a Fisherman - and I like it - it's just a little slow going
> that's all. Next book I'm searching for is "The Earth is Enough" (?) by
> Middleton, which I've heard is really great.

I enjoyed Seasons, but agree tough going in places. You will like the Earth
is Enough, you might also want to check out Middleton's "On the Spine of
Time".

bruiser
February 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in

(snip)

Seasons of a Fisherman - and I like it - it's just a little slow going
that's all. Next book I'm searching for is "The Earth is Enough" (?) by
Middleton, which I've heard is really great.

bruce h

Joe McIntosh
February 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM
"bruiser" > wrote

> (snip)
>
> Seasons of a Fisherman - and I like it - it's just a little slow going
> that's all. Next book I'm searching for is "The Earth is Enough" (?) by
> Middleton, which I've heard is really great.
>
> bruce h
>
> Indian Joe suggests-----after E is E you will want to enjoy "On The Spine
Of Time", then "The Bright Country".
I think of Harry every time the trash truck comes by--and plan to revisit
Slickrock Creek sometimes soon--perhaps I can find Tewksbury's hat.!!

just al
February 26th, 2004, 11:56 PM
haven't heard of it will check that out too...Duncan's novel is appropriate
for teens breaking free of their primary group (famliy unit) and finding
themselves. I think that mid-lifer's would not find it as
introspective...this is judged by clave pictures posted here. It seems that
most of the replies were by the more experienced gentlemen.

Wayne Knight
February 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message

> > Indian Joe suggests-----after E is E you will want to enjoy "On The
Spine
> Of Time", then "The Bright Country".
> I think of Harry every time the trash truck comes by--and plan to revisit
> Slickrock Creek sometimes soon--perhaps I can find Tewksbury's hat.!!

Bright Country needs to be read after Eearth and Spine. It can be a little
tough going with all the Psychiatric stuff. But if one can get their hands
on "Rivers of Memory" and the "Starlight Creek Angling Society", one is in
for one hell of a fine fly fishing literary treat.

Mike Connor
February 27th, 2004, 04:15 AM
"just al" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> haven't heard of it will check that out too...Duncan's novel is
appropriate
> for teens breaking free of their primary group (famliy unit) and finding
> themselves. I think that mid-lifer's would not find it as
> introspective...this is judged by clave pictures posted here. It seems
that
> most of the replies were by the more experienced gentlemen.

Perhaps you should try "Lord of the Flies" ? Although I am unsure, as I am
still trying to figure out what you have not heard of.

Leave at least a piece of the post to which you are responding, as otherwise
many donīt know what you are replying to.

TL
MC

Jeff Miller
February 27th, 2004, 05:13 AM
i'd be surprised if your high school students didn't enjoy "on the spine
of time". give it a read...

just al wrote:

> haven't heard of it will check that out too...Duncan's novel is appropriate
> for teens breaking free of their primary group (famliy unit) and finding
> themselves. I think that mid-lifer's would not find it as
> introspective...this is judged by clave pictures posted here. It seems that
> most of the replies were by the more experienced gentlemen.

just al
February 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
jeff miller wrote:

<i'd be surprised if your high school students didn't enjoy "on the spine
of time". give it a read...

Adding it to my summer reading list for those afternoon breaks between
hatches...

Thanks to all for all the suggestions!

BMBMD
February 28th, 2004, 02:21 AM
"The River Why" bored me to tears. Although not entirely about flyfishing,
"Goodbye to a River" by John Graves may be the best book ever written.

Wolfgang
February 28th, 2004, 03:05 AM
"just al" > wrote in message
> Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan? ...I would be
interested
> in your opinions...

I liked it.

Wolfgang

rw
February 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Wolfgang wrote:

> "just al" > wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan? ...I would be
>
> interested
>
>>in your opinions...
>

> I liked it.

Of course you did. It was pretentious and self important.

Wolfgang
February 28th, 2004, 06:13 AM
"BMBMD" > wrote in message
> "The River Why" bored me to tears. Although not entirely about
flyfishing,
> "Goodbye to a River" by John Graves may be the best book ever written.

One almost HAS to admire the judicious use of qualifiers.

Wolfgang
or maybe not.

Wolfgang
February 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wolfgang wrote:
>
> > "just al" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Has anyone here read the River Why by David James Duncan? ...I would be
> >
> > interested
> >
> >>in your opinions...
> >

> > I liked it.
>
> Of course you did. It was pretentious and self important.

Ya think? It's been three or four years since I read it. All I remember is
that I liked it and that I've got a vague recollection that it was a sort of
coming of age story. Please elucidate.

Wolfgang

just al
February 28th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:

<I tried to read it several years ago, I did not like it, never finished it.

rw responded:

<Same here. It was pretentious and self important>

I am not sure how it is pretentious and self important. Would you say the
same of Charles Dickens? Why or why not?

rw
February 28th, 2004, 09:44 PM
just al wrote:
> Wayne Knight wrote:
>
> <I tried to read it several years ago, I did not like it, never finished it.
>
> rw responded:
>
> <Same here. It was pretentious and self important>
>
> I am not sure how it is pretentious and self important. Would you say the
> same of Charles Dickens? Why or why not?

Duncan wasn't trying to imitate Charles Dickens. He was trying to
imitate Tom Robbins.

just al
February 29th, 2004, 03:23 AM
rw wrote:

>Duncan wasn't trying to imitate Charles Dickens. He was trying to
imitate Tom Robbins.

fact or opinion?

rw
February 29th, 2004, 03:35 AM
just al wrote:
> rw wrote:
>

>>Duncan wasn't trying to imitate Charles Dickens. He was trying to
>
> imitate Tom Robbins.
>
> fact or opinion?

Opinion, obviously. You're entitled to yours, and I'm entitled to mine.