PDA

View Full Version : TR: Rain Forest Adventure

Chas Wade
February 26th, 2004, 08:01 AM
I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
followed by one on the Queets.

My son Andy talked me into camping in the National Park campground at
the end of the Hoh River road, and that turned out to be a good idea.
Room for a couple hundred campers, but only three of us. We found a
nice flat spot, and got the tent up with only a little drizzle making
us hurry.

The first day, Sunday, was uncommonly dry and warm. Andy caught his
usual three fish and I caught 1. All nice hard fighting and jumping
steelhead. Andy had the big one at 29.5 inches, about 10 pounds, mine
was 27 inches, Andy's small ones were 26 inches. We saw eagles, elk,
and cormorants on the river, but no bear tracks this time. We had the
river to ourselves, all the yahoos were fishing below where the access
is easier.

Monday we got an early start and drifted from the boundary to Spruce
creek, about 4 miles or so. The water was a bit lower than earlier
trips, and the aluminum hatch was on, so it was slim pickings. Even
Andy couldn't find a fish. We finished the drift at 1:00 and decided
we needed to be in the park, above where the guides go. On the hike
2.5 miles up the river we saw one print on the trail that we figure
must have been from a cougar. The river was transformed by the floods
last fall, so we didn't find the holes we'd hoped for, but Andy managed
to pull a nice 27 inch hatchery fish out of a complex pool. The fish
had some sort of tumors on it, so we decided not to keep it to eat.
Dinner was at the China Gate restaurant in Forks. Actually an
excellent Chinese place.

Tuesday we decided to try something new and fish the Queets. We've
both heard about it, but we've never fished it. The rain started about
2:00 AM, so it was pouring while we broke camp at 5:30 and headed over
to the Queets. Steady rain while we inflated the boats, but the river
looked OK, not good, but OK. Andy got one fish to hit his strike
indicator, it was a big one, at least 12 pounds, but he didn't want the
flies. I managed to catch a few white fish, as did Andy, but no
steelhead hooked this day. Half way down the float there was a 6 foot
diameter spruce tree blocking the entire river. It had fallen off the
bank on one side, and the 200 foot long trunk extended a hundred feet
onto the opposite bank. Fortunately the hole left by the root ball was
big enough for us to sneak through, so we didn't have to portage. The
rain continued. The river darkened. We paddled on to the takeout.
After packing the boats into the car in a 40 mile per hour gale with
heavy rain, we got in the car and headed home.

Not so fast. The wind had blown a small fir tree across the road and
blocked our exit. No chain saw, no ax, but I did have a tow chain.
The road is one of those narrow logging roads, and the tree had broken
on the pile of gravel along the far side of the road. I hooked up the
chain and dragged the upper part of the tree down the road. We then
drove off the road, into the foot deep moss of the rain forest floor,
and then back onto the road and home. Sometimes 4wd is real handy.

I'll post some pictures to my website and provide a reply to this with
the links.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Chas Wade
February 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Here are the links to the pictures on my web site. I put them on the
end of the San Juan Clave set. Use these links directly, or start with
the first one and use the forward arrow on the page to move through
them.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376402.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376403.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376405.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376407.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376408.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376409.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376410.html
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376411.html

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

JR
February 26th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Chas Wade wrote:

> I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
> forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
> rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
> ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
> followed by one on the Queets......

Wow. Cool TR and great pix.

BTW, what kind of boat it that in this pic?:

http://tinyurl.com/2322j

What's the biggest water you'd take it through?

JR

Tim J.
February 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM
"Chas Wade" > wrote in message
> I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
> forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
> rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
> ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
> followed by one on the Queets.
<snip>

Great TR, Chas. I really enjoyed the photos, too - nice fish! Thanks.
--
TL,
Tim

bruiser
February 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
OK, Chas, I'm heading off to work and you're catching Steelhead! Dang!
Nice report as usual. You live in a great place.

bruce h

Chas Wade
February 26th, 2004, 07:44 PM
JR > wrote:

>Wow. Cool TR and great pix.

Thanks, it was fun.

>BTW, what kind of boat it that in this pic?:

Dave Scadden Escalade. It's not being made any more. 45" beam, 8.5
feet long, one main wrap around vinyl chamber inside a hypalon zippered
cover. Seat is another flotation chamber, and the backrest is stiff
foam flotation. A hole in the floor lets you use fins on lakes like a
cross between a belly boat and a pontoon boat. We use kyak paddles for
moving around. Top speed 2.5 mph (measured with my GPS).

>http://tinyurl.com/2322j
You've made a short url that gets to my pictures, thanks.

>What's the biggest water you'd take it through?
I'm not good at classifying the waters. I stick to places with waves
smaller than 2 feet tall, and speeds below 10 miles per hour. Andy has
taken it over a 5 foot drop (no fishing tackle, wet suit, with several
friends in white water kyaks). I might try that if equipped and
accompanied as he was, but not while fishing.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Chas Wade
February 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM
"bruiser" > wrote:
>OK, Chas, I'm heading off to work and you're catching Steelhead! Dang!
>Nice report as usual. You live in a great place.

So you didn't stop at your local spring creek on the way in to work
today? You live in a beautiful place too.

Thanks

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Bill Mason
February 26th, 2004, 08:06 PM
"Chas Wade" > wrote in message
> I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
> forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
> rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
> ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
> followed by one on the Queets.

<snip>

Excellent, as always. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Cheers,
Bill

daytripper
February 26th, 2004, 11:19 PM
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:15:38 GMT, Chas Wade >
wrote:

>Here are the links to the pictures on my web site. I put them on the
>end of the San Juan Clave set. Use these links directly, or start with
>the first one and use the forward arrow on the page to move through
>them.
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376402.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376403.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376405.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376407.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376408.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376409.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376410.html
>http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1376411.html

OMG, those are beauties.

/daytripper (First cabin fever and now insane jealousy ;-)

Svend Tang-Petersen
February 26th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Whats up with this newsgroup ? Someone is actually talking about fishing
!!

Nice pics and good story.

Chas Wade wrote:

> [...]
> onto the opposite bank. Fortunately the hole left by the root ball was
> big enough for us to sneak through, so we didn't have to portage. The
> rain continued. The river darkened. We paddled on to the takeout.
> After packing the boats into the car in a 40 mile per hour gale with
> heavy rain, we got in the car and headed home.
>
> Not so fast. The wind had blown a small fir tree across the road and
> blocked our exit. No chain saw, no ax, but I did have a tow chain.
> The road is one of those narrow logging roads, and the tree had broken
> on the pile of gravel along the far side of the road. I hooked up the
> chain and dragged the upper part of the tree down the road. We then
> drove off the road, into the foot deep moss of the rain forest floor,
> and then back onto the road and home. Sometimes 4wd is real handy.
>
> I'll post some pictures to my website and provide a reply to this with

Charlie Choc
February 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:01:57 GMT, Chas Wade
> wrote:

>I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
>forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
>rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
>ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
>followed by one on the Queets.

Great TR and pics Chas. I took a drive out to the rain forest about 20
years ago and it is certainly a beautiful place.
--
Charlie...

Chas Wade
February 27th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Charlie Choc > wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:01:57 GMT, Chas Wade
>Great TR and pics Chas. I took a drive out to the rain forest about 20
>years ago and it is certainly a beautiful place.
>--
Thanks Charlie,

Come out again for more views and some big fish.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Chas Wade
February 27th, 2004, 06:30 AM
daytripper > wrote:

>OMG, those are beauties.
>
>/daytripper (First cabin fever and now insane jealousy ;-)

I suspect it's more than a day trip, but come on out and cure that
cabin fever.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Charlie Choc
February 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:21:16 GMT, Chas Wade
> wrote:

>Come out again for more views and some big fish.

I definitely want to do that.
--
Charlie...

bruiser
February 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
"Chas Wade" > wrote in

> So you didn't stop at your local spring creek

I have been pounding my two local spring creeks and my three weight's a
little too much for those huge fish (G). Once you get accustomed to the
horseback riders and the barking dogs it's pretty fun.

bruce h

Willi
February 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:01:57 GMT, Chas Wade
> > wrote:
>

>>I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
>>forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
>>rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
>>ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
>>followed by one on the Queets.
>>

> Great TR and pics Chas. I took a drive out to the rain forest about 20
> years ago and it is certainly a beautiful place.

Sue and I got lost in the rain forest one time just trying to find a
trailhead! The undergrowth was so incredibly dense that even though we
were only about a 100 yards off the trail, it took us over an hour to
beat our way through.

Willi

Willi
February 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Chas Wade wrote:
> I know some think of the great jungles of the tropics when a rain
> forest is mentioned, but the Olympic Peninsula rivers get 12 feet of
> rain each year, and the moss hangs from the trees and carpets the
> ground much as it does in the south. Our trip was two days on the Hoh
> followed by one on the Queets.

When Sue and traveled the Country trying to decide where we wanted to
move, I came down to Colorado and the Northwest. We decided we couldn't
deal with all the Winter rain in the Northwest so we chose CO. Your
Winter fishing is a BIG plus for the Northwest that, at the time, I
didn't consider.

Love your pictorial reports.

Willi

Chas Wade
February 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Willi > wrote:

>Sue and I got lost in the rain forest one time just trying to find a
>trailhead! The undergrowth was so incredibly dense that even though we
>were only about a 100 yards off the trail, it took us over an hour to
>beat our way through.

The nice part of getting lost here is that you can find a soft bed
almost anywhere in the forest.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Chas Wade
February 27th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Willi > wrote:

>When Sue and traveled the Country trying to decide where we wanted to
>move, I came down to Colorado and the Northwest. We decided we couldn't
>deal with all the Winter rain in the Northwest so we chose CO. Your
>Winter fishing is a BIG plus for the Northwest that, at the time, I
>didn't consider.
>
>Love your pictorial reports.

Thanks Willi.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

daytripper
February 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM
wrote:

>Charlie Choc > wrote:
>>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:01:57 GMT, Chas Wade
>>Great TR and pics Chas. I took a drive out to the rain forest about 20
>>years ago and it is certainly a beautiful place.
>>--
>Thanks Charlie,
>
>Come out again for more views and some big fish.

It'd be a return visit, I hiked across the divide a few times when I lived on
the Lilliwaup/Eldon line, fished up the Elwha and down the Hoh, up the
Dosewallops and down the Quinault, etc. Got into some nice fish to go along
with elk herds wandering through camp in the early dawn.

That was 30 years ago now. From what I've read over the years, and what I can
discern from recent maps, I'm not sure I want to see what's happened to the
Peninsula I remember over that time.

But I am certainly glad the fishing hasn't succumbed to development. Those
were some magnificent fish.

cheers

/daytripper

Chas Wade
February 29th, 2004, 01:03 AM
daytripper > wrote:

>It'd be a return visit, I hiked across the divide a few times when I
>lived on
>the Lilliwaup/Eldon line, fished up the Elwha and down the Hoh, up the
>Dosewallops and down the Quinault, etc. Got into some nice fish to go
>along
>with elk herds wandering through camp in the early dawn.
>
>That was 30 years ago now. From what I've read over the years, and
>what I can
>discern from recent maps, I'm not sure I want to see what's happened
>to the
>Peninsula I remember over that time.
>
>But I am certainly glad the fishing hasn't succumbed to development.
>Those
>were some magnificent fish.

There's been some change, but when I walk through the woods in the park
I find no trash, no signs of logging, and not very many other hikers.
Olympic National Park has survived the visitors so well because it's so
lush. One day's "vandalism" is covered by the next days moss growth,
and it stays wonderful. Not so in Mt. Rainier, or most of the
cascades, but the Olympics seem to have the strength to forstall the
abuse we apply.