PDA

View Full Version : OT Diets

George Adams
February 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a modified
Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have had a
bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
pounds.

A few minor discoveries:
Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in taste.
Sugar free Jello tastes the same as the regular stuff.
Diet soda tastes like soap.....I'm sticking with water.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Tim J.
February 27th, 2004, 05:58 PM
"George Adams" wrote...
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a
modified
> Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
> strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. <snip>

Bastid.
--
TL,
Tim

Kevin Vang
February 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM
In article >, george9219
@aol.comnojunk says...
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a modified
> Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
> strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks.

My parents both went on Atkins about one year ago. Dad dropped from 245
to 195 (at last weigh-in) and Mom lost a similar amount (I don't
remember exact numbers, and even if I did, I'm not dumb enough to
say.) Also, their cholesterol levels dropped way down. My wife and I
reluctantly decided to go on Atkins this year; we started Feb. 1.
Jen lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks. I don't know what I lost,
because I haven't weighed myself yet, but my pants do actually feel a
bit loose lately.

> I'm looking to lose around forty
> pounds.

Ditto. I started at 250, and my target is 210. I'm hoping that
going public with this will help keep me disciplined.

> A few minor discoveries:
> Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in taste.

It's close, but still no cigar. That's what I hate most about this
so far: forever having that artificial sweetener aftertaste in my
mouth.

Kevin,
who is also getting bored with meat and salad for dinner every
freakin' night.

Scott Seidman
February 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
(George Adams) wrote in
:

> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have
> any success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm
> using a modified Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of
> veggies than allowed an the strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8
> pounds lost in two weeks. I have had a bad cold for most of this time,
> so haven't been exercising. I expect to do better once I get back on
> the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty pounds.
>
> A few minor discoveries:
> Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in
> taste. Sugar free Jello tastes the same as the regular stuff.
> Diet soda tastes like soap.....I'm sticking with water.
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only
> dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W
> Muller

Lost about 25 lbs in 6 weeks on the Atkins, seem to have tapered off at
around 30 lbs

Scott

Frank Reid
February 27th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now, I've
got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr. Peppers
a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the Total
Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my waist
(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tim J.
February 27th, 2004, 06:51 PM
"Frank Reid" wrote...
> I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now, I've
> got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr. Peppers
> a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
> October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the Total
> Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my waist
> (down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.

The Reidinator, coming to a stream near you. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Jeff Taylor
February 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss.

My folks started the Atkin's the first of the year, they have both lost 30
pounds...

I started at 235 lbs. and hope to drop down to around 205. The beer and
pizza diet hasn't worked so far, maybe if I switch to Lt. beer...

Jeff T. :)

rb608
February 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a
modified
> Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an
the
> strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have
had a
> bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
> better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
> pounds.

I'm a huge skeptic regarding "name brand" diets. Adkins is dead from
coronary artery disease. Those with a financial stake in selling his name
may have no qualms about downplaying the relevence of that; but IMO, it
ought to be a wakeup for anyone having the steak entree with a side order of
steak. I think almost everybody knows that eating less, eating more
sensibly, and getting regular exercise are the real keys. OTOH, if
following some predetermined regimen helps you do that, then it's served its
purpose.

As a preamble to my present, ongoing story, I'll boast that I am now a USSF
certified referee. In going through the coursework, however, it was clear
that I was going to need to do some serious running to do the job well. I
had to be honest and admit I was in no shape to chase kids up and down a
soccer field. So, beginning Feb. 4, I began cutting back on the food &
hitting the exercise equipment collecting dust around here. Nothing
approaching starvation, just taking smaller portions and resisting second
helpings. Basically, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Fortunately, I
actually like rice cakes (white cheddar).

I also started running. Thought I was going to die. As a testament to
just how far gone I was, the first day I managed a slow jog for about 1/4
mile before having to stop & suck air. Walked the rest of the mile. Three
weeks later, I can manage to run at a decent pace for about 3/4 mile without
feeling like I got hit by a truck. And this morning I finally hit the magic
200# mark, down from 215.

March 13 is my first game as a ref., in a 16-year-old boys tournament. If
I don't post after that, you'll know I'm dead. <g>

Joe F.

Allen Epps
February 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
In article >, rb608
> wrote:

> I'm a huge skeptic regarding "name brand" diets. Adkins is dead from
> coronary artery disease.

I agree with your assessment of the name brand diet thing Joe but
Adkins died of head injuries he suffered during a fall on the ice.
There is some debate about his health prior but the it was the head
injury that did him in.

I've cut out any beer during the week (TGIF!) and started bring my
lunch to work vice fast food, back to the gym three days a week and
have lost 11 pound in two weeks.

Allen
Catonsville, MD

rb608
February 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> I agree with your assessment of the name brand diet thing Joe but
> Adkins died of head injuries he suffered during a fall on the ice.

That's what I get for not paying attention.

Joe F.

snakefiddler
February 27th, 2004, 08:25 PM
"Jeff Taylor" > wrote in message

> "George Adams" > wrote in message
> > Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have
any
> > success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss.
>
> My folks started the Atkin's the first of the year, they have both lost 30
> pounds...
>
> I started at 235 lbs. and hope to drop down to around 205. The beer and
> pizza diet hasn't worked so far, maybe if I switch to Lt. beer...
>
> Jeff T. :)

just go back to school- :] the stress, combined with lack of time for
meals makes for a very effective weight loss program!

Snakefiddler- 13 lbs lighter since my first semester

George Adams
February 27th, 2004, 08:46 PM
>I'm a huge skeptic regarding "name brand" diets. Adkins is dead from
>coronary artery disease.

Atkins died of a brain injury suffered in a fall on an icy sidewalk. He had
heart disease for years, but it was caused by a bacterial infection of his
heart....not clogged arteries.

That said, I felt uncomfortable about eating so few veggies on the diet, so I
made some modifications, and it seems to be working. I'm sure that there are
people profiting from the Atkins name, but they didn't make much from me. All I
bought was a paperback copy of his book. I have not, and will not, buy branded
"Atkins" products. Eveything I need is available at the grocery store.

I saw my doctor prior to starting, and he gave me the OK. I would be doing
better if I exesized, but a chest cold has prevented that. Hopefully, I'll be
able to start again next week.

Just as a side note, the doctor told me that he has several patients who have
been on Atkins, and their blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride numbers
have all gone down. Seems that starving your body of carbs, causes it to
metabolize fat, thus the weight loss and other benefits.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Jeff Taylor
February 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM
"snakefiddler" > wrote in message

> just go back to school- :] the stress, combined with lack of time for
> meals makes for a very effective weight loss program!
>
> Snakefiddler- 13 lbs lighter since my first semester

No more stress required at this time... Cabin fever has me twisted up as it
is! Hope to move past the winter blues starting March 31st on the
Bitterroot, that will be the spring opener for my fishing buddies and
myself... Can't wait!

Tonight I am going to switch over from 12 to 16 ouncers, the added weight
should help drastically. I will also drink faster so my trips to the
refrigerator (good exercise) are not cut down with the larger containers...
:)

Jeff T.

just al
February 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM
George Adams wrote:

<Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss.

I too have been dieting was 200 now 175 and want to hit 165 and hold it
there. Weight Watchers online did it for me. I don't "formally" exercise.
Turning 32 next month and want to see my grand kids graduate college before
I have a coronary. I like this diet online because I don't want to weigh in
and have everyone applaud me.

I stick to it 5 to six days a week. Eat a huge breakfast (Belgian waffles,
eggs fried in the left over sausage or bacon grease) on Saturday AND Sunday.
Steak, pork chops--their both there during the week it's all how one
prepares them.

Carbs are important. Junk food and prepared food is not. The only draw
back the WW is that the dieter MUST grocery shop and have a variety of food
at hand to enjoy the diet. I have to eat spaghetti and pizza and
cheeseburgers and Philly steak sandwiches...

I still eat at a nice restaurant once a week too. Appetizers through
desert.

You can sign up online for three months. Again cooking and grocery shopping
has to fit into your lifestyle. Oh yeah and you have to like fruits and
vegetables. If you're picky this diet ain't for you.

How long did it take? About a year with falling off the wagon for a couple
of months. But I'm back on it. Shoot, sorry, one last thing...I found that
I lost weight then nothing but lost inches when the pounds weren't dropping,
so don't live by the scale.

Good health to you, George!

just al
February 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Jeff Taylor wrote:

<Tonight I am going to switch over from 12 to 16 ouncers, the added weight
should help drastically.>

I found when I lived in Whitefish, MT and was up to 210, that the added
weight allowed me to stand in faster current with confidence. (Fished the
Flathead all year round--extended whitefish season)

Svend Tang-Petersen
February 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Frank,

workouts build muscle and burns fat wich has a lower density. Thus you can
actually gain weight
but loose volume if you start exercising. For me it works that way. If I dont
workout I loose weight.

rw
February 27th, 2004, 10:23 PM
just al wrote:

> Jeff Taylor wrote:
>
> <Tonight I am going to switch over from 12 to 16 ouncers, the added weight
> should help drastically.>
>
> I found when I lived in Whitefish, MT and was up to 210, that the added
> weight allowed me to stand in faster current with confidence.

All the fat must have gone to your head (instead of your hips). :-)

Kevin Vang
February 27th, 2004, 11:39 PM
In article >,
says...
> I don't know what I lost,
> because I haven't weighed myself yet.

I tracked down a scale. I weighed 231, so I have lost
19 pounds in 4 weeks. I'm taking that with a grain of
salt, since it was two different scales, but still,
it's a bunch of pounds.

Kevin,
a mere shadow of my former self.

Frank Church
February 28th, 2004, 12:30 AM
(George Adams) wrote in
:

> Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in
> taste. Sugar free Jello tastes the same as the regular stuff.
> Diet soda tastes like soap.....I'm sticking with water.

...I'm on the same regimen George, lost 7# in about 2 weeks. Ditto on the SF
Jello. I have been drinking sugar free Crystal Lite lemonade instead of
sodas, with diet Sprite once in awhile to break the monotony.

Tight lines and loose pants...

Frank Church

Wolfgang
February 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a
modified
> Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an
the
> strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have
had a
> bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
> better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
> pounds.

I don't know **** about diets.....never needed to (which, if you think about
it, just may suggest something about qualifications).....but I DO know this
much; the weight loss/gain equation is about as simple as anything can be.
Calories in > calories out = weight gain. (emphasis on the "."). Calories
out > calories in = weight loss. (ditto). In order to effect loss or gain,
the equation can be attacked from either end. As long as the desired result
is simply weight loss, it doesn't make a damned bit of difference what the
source of the calories is. All the bull**** about differing rates of
metabolism and the mystical nonsense about Atkins or any other "foolproof"
plan is just that. NOTE!: I did NOT say it's easy......just simple.

> A few minor discoveries:
> Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in
taste.
> Sugar free Jello tastes the same as the regular stuff.
> Diet soda tastes like soap.....I'm sticking with water.

If you've got a sweetness Jones, try Stevia. No, this is not a (well
deserved) dump on several individuals in this group. Stevia is an
herbaceous plant (native to somewhere in South America, if memory serves)
containing a substance that registers on the taste buds as EXTREMELY sweet
(something on the order of two hundred times as sweet as sugar according to
the sources I've read.....and whatever the hell that might mean) while being
entirely free of sugar (and calories) and entirely natural and harmless. It
should be noted that there has been a good deal of research on stevioids
(the active "sweet" compounds in Stevia) and that there are some concerns
about their safety under certain conditions. It's been a couple of years
since I looked into the matter, so I don't remember exactly what those
concerns were, but my sources (again, if memory serves) suggested that these
concerns only applied under special circumstances that had nothing to do
with using the raw, unrefined product as a substitute for sugars. I first
found Stevia sold in bulk in a local co-op and have since grown it in my
garden. Everyone to whom I've given some to taste has been amazed. A few
have actually used it in place of sugar with satisfactory results. The
dried product loses none of its potency and can, as far as I know, be stored
more or less indefinitely. There are lots of references on the web.
Presumably (I haven't checked recently) there are also sources.

Wolfgang

February 28th, 2004, 06:47 AM
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:25:57 -0600, Kevin Vang >
wrote:

>> A few minor discoveries:
>> Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in taste.
>
>It's close, but still no cigar. That's what I hate most about this
>so far: forever having that artificial sweetener aftertaste in my
>mouth.

Try Stevia. Use very very little of it. I find I like it best in
liquids. Almost as good in teas as honey. And I'm not dieting, so I
don't have to use it. Just got curious about it.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Jeff Miller
February 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> I don't know **** about diets.....never needed to (which, if you think about
> it, just may suggest something about qualifications).....but I DO know this
> much; the weight loss/gain equation is about as simple as anything can be.
> Calories in > calories out = weight gain. (emphasis on the "."). Calories
> out > calories in = weight loss. (ditto). In order to effect loss or gain,
> the equation can be attacked from either end. As long as the desired result
> is simply weight loss, it doesn't make a damned bit of difference what the
> source of the calories is. All the bull**** about differing rates of
> metabolism and the mystical nonsense about Atkins or any other "foolproof"
> plan is just that. NOTE!: I did NOT say it's easy......just simple.

my diet guru is richard jenny. i'm on his "SEYFB" plan...

George Adams
March 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM
>From: (Greg Pavlov)

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:25:57 -0600, Kevin Vang >
>wrote:

>>It's close, but still no cigar. That's what I hate most about this
>>so far: forever having that artificial sweetener aftertaste in my
>>mouth.

> It looks like your current and semi-realistic
> proposed states are identical to mine, but one
> thing I did manage to accomplish a long time
> ago was to knock off sugar.

> One thing I found
> is that once I weaned myself from it I got to
> the point that I just don't like it very much
> and some foods, like icing on cake, I don't
> eat because I can't stand something with that
> strong of a taste of sugar. I can't drink
> coffee with sugar in it either.

The reason I like Splenda is that there is no aftertaste, at least none that I
can detect. I agree about oversweet foods like icing. I didn't eat much of that
type of thing even before I started the diet.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Peter Charles
March 1st, 2004, 09:59 PM
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:44:49 -0500, "Frank Reid"
<moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:

>I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now, I've
>got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr. Peppers
>a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
>October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the Total
>Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my waist
>(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.

friggin' 'ell Frank, there wasn't much of you to begin with . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Frank Reid
March 2nd, 2004, 01:42 AM
> >I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now,
I've
> >got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr.
Peppers
> >a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
> >October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the
Total
> >Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my
waist
> >(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.
>
> friggin' 'ell Frank, there wasn't much of you to begin with . . . .

Well, got a new problem. The muscle toned up real well. The fats not gone
away so now I got more jiggles than a stage full of fan dancers. Sleep with
that thought burning into your brain tonight.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Peter Charles
March 2nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:42:38 -0500, "Frank Reid"
<moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:

>> >I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now,
>I've
>> >got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr.
>Peppers
>> >a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
>> >October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the
>Total
>> >Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my
>waist
>> >(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.
>>
>> friggin' 'ell Frank, there wasn't much of you to begin with . . . .
>
>Well, got a new problem. The muscle toned up real well. The fats not gone
>away so now I got more jiggles than a stage full of fan dancers. Sleep with
>that thought burning into your brain tonight.

look man, I have enough problems getting to sleep . . .

Reidripples, eeewwwuu

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Frank Reid
March 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM
> look man, I have enough problems getting to sleep . . .

I read that with a reminder of your native land as "look man, I have enough
problems getting sheep..."
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Snoop
March 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
George Adams wrote:
> Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
> success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a modified
> Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
> strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have had a
> bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
> better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
> pounds.

George,

I've been on the low carb diet since the end of Sept.. I also started
walking 3-4 miles/day and doing some light weight lifting. I've dropped 26 lbs.
I do eat complex carbs, i.e. veggies but no longer eat bread, drink beer or
consume sugar.
I feel better than I have in years. I think it's possible I was intolerant
of milk products and possibly dairy. My G.I. problems cleared up, anyway. My
triglycerides dropped from 1094 to 554 (high and lows of last 4 years) to 98.
Total cholesterol from 211 to 248 to 187. My wife lost some weight (can't tell
you how much but she is thinner than she's been in 25 years of marriage), as well.
I think the main thing is to cut out refined foods like white bread, potatoes
and mainly sugar. I do know that what I was doing wasn't working and this diet
seems to be accomplishing the things I wanted.

Snoop

rb608
March 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
"Snoop" > wrote in message
> I've been on the low carb diet since the end of Sept.. I also started
> walking 3-4 miles/day and doing some light weight lifting. I've dropped
26 lbs.

I probably should have started out walking, but since the motivating event
for my present "get in shape" effort is an impending need to run up and down
a soccer field, I went straight to a slow jog. Obviously I'm a lot older &
in a lot worse shape that I thought, because I'm seeing very little
improvement in the first month. I typically run the first 1/2 mile (uphill)
then walk/run back as my lungs allow. After a month of doing this every
second or third day, I'm still hitting that wall at 1/2 mile. Anybody wanna
offer some encouragement that I'll one day be able to run a mile in less
than 13 minutes and without my legs hurting for two days? :-)

Joe F.

snakefiddler
March 2nd, 2004, 10:42 PM
"Snoop" > wrote in message ...
> George Adams wrote:
> > Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have
any
>(SNIP)>
> .
> > Snoop

MID-TERM EXAMS - there goes (at least) another five pounds!

Snakefiddler- stressed out student

Ken Fortenberry
March 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM
rb608 wrote:

> ... Anybody wanna
> offer some encouragement that I'll one day be able to run a mile in less
> than 13 minutes and without my legs hurting for two days? :-)

Run 5 days a week, I skip Monday and Friday, but what's important is the
routine. Here's how I would do it if I were you, given that you can run
1/2 mile now.

Week 1
Mon. off
Tue. 1/4 mile
Wed. 1/2 mile
Thu. 1/4 mile
Fri. off
Sat. 1/2 mile
Sun. 3/4 mile

Week 2
Mon. off
Tue. 1/4 mile
Wed. 3/4 mile
Thu. 1/2 mile
Fri. off
Sat. 3/4 mile
Sun. one mile

Week 3
Mon. off
Tue. 1/2 mile
Wed. 3/4 mile
Thu. 1/2 mile
Fri. off
Sat. one mile
Sun. 1 1/4 miles

Week 4
Mon. off
Tue. 1/2 mile
Wed. 3/4 mile
Thu. 1/2 mile
Fri. off
Sat. 3/4 mile
Sun. one mile

Your 4 week pattern is a hard workout on Wed & Sat, an LSD Sunday
(long slow distance), increasing in distance for 3 weeks then
take a "fall back week". The off days are just as important as
the workout days, don't try to workout 7 days a week. Week 5
should be the same as Week 3, which will be Week 1 of the next
cycle. Don't try to "make up" distance. If you have to skip a day
just jump back in like you didn't.

Disclaimer: I am not a running coach, if reading this causes you
to croak please don't let your heirs sic the lawyers on me. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Kiyu
March 3rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:28:09 -0700, Snoop > wrote:

> I've been on the low carb diet since the end of Sept.. I also started
>walking 3-4 miles/day and doing some light weight lifting. I've dropped 26 lbs.
> I do eat complex carbs, i.e. veggies but no longer eat bread, drink beer or
>consume sugar.
<space>
> I think the main thing is to cut out refined foods like white bread, potatoes
>and mainly sugar. I do know that what I was doing wasn't working and this diet
>seems to be accomplishing the things I wanted.
Been on the diet about the same length of time. I'm down about 20 lbs.
and really happy about the results. I have few problems with having
crunchy salads seasoned with cheese as my base. Pure delight.

The absolute best thing about the diet is breaking it.
The wife was raised on rice, I on bread. Over the last 38 years she
has made a firm rice convert of me and now what used to be staples in
both our worlds are treated as luxuries. When we go to our favorite
Japanese restaurant we enjoy the rice & tempura dishes so very much
more now that we know they must be an infrequent enjoyment. The odd
sandwich becomes a reason for celebration.
Those normal, ordinary high carb dishes we used to eat every day are
now indescribable pleasures, savored and enjoyed at levels we never
imagined possible.
A diet of almost unimaginable pleasure?
Who would have thought.

Kiyu

rw
March 3rd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Snoop wrote:

> I think the main thing is to cut out refined foods like white bread,
> potatoes and mainly sugar.

Potatoes are "refined" food? Pringles, maybe.

Jeff Miller
March 3rd, 2004, 01:13 AM
as someone who used to run regularly, and as a lawyer <g>, i think forty
has given you the recipe for success. as someone who used to run
regularly, i hope the gods **** on both of you...

jeff (bereft of the running life, and envious of the gray cells that
motivate)

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> rb608 wrote:
>

>> ... Anybody wanna
>> offer some encouragement that I'll one day be able to run a mile in less
>> than 13 minutes and without my legs hurting for two days? :-)
>

> Run 5 days a week, I skip Monday and Friday, but what's important is the
> routine. Here's how I would do it if I were you, given that you can run
> 1/2 mile now.
>
> Week 1
> Mon. off
> Tue. 1/4 mile
> Wed. 1/2 mile
> Thu. 1/4 mile
> Fri. off
> Sat. 1/2 mile
> Sun. 3/4 mile
>
> Week 2
> Mon. off
> Tue. 1/4 mile
> Wed. 3/4 mile
> Thu. 1/2 mile
> Fri. off
> Sat. 3/4 mile
> Sun. one mile
>
> Week 3
> Mon. off
> Tue. 1/2 mile
> Wed. 3/4 mile
> Thu. 1/2 mile
> Fri. off
> Sat. one mile
> Sun. 1 1/4 miles
>
> Week 4
> Mon. off
> Tue. 1/2 mile
> Wed. 3/4 mile
> Thu. 1/2 mile
> Fri. off
> Sat. 3/4 mile
> Sun. one mile
>
> Your 4 week pattern is a hard workout on Wed & Sat, an LSD Sunday
> (long slow distance), increasing in distance for 3 weeks then
> take a "fall back week". The off days are just as important as
> the workout days, don't try to workout 7 days a week. Week 5
> should be the same as Week 3, which will be Week 1 of the next
> cycle. Don't try to "make up" distance. If you have to skip a day
> just jump back in like you didn't.
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a running coach, if reading this causes you
> to croak please don't let your heirs sic the lawyers on me. ;-)

Wolfgang
March 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
. ..
> Snoop wrote:
> >
> > I think the main thing is to cut out refined foods like white bread,
> > potatoes and mainly sugar.
>
> Potatoes are "refined" food? Pringles, maybe.

Amen. Spuds are one of the world's great food crops.......for very good
reasons.

Wolfgang
and atkins isn't responsible for who you are......or ain't.

George Adams
March 3rd, 2004, 03:17 AM
>From: Snoop

> I've been on the low carb diet since the end of Sept.. I also started
>walking 3-4 miles/day and doing some light weight lifting. I've dropped 26
>lbs.

I'm now halfway through the third week. Won't weigh myself again until
Saturday, but I noticed I've dropped one collar size and one belt size already.
My cold is better so I started back on the treadmill yesterday. My intention is
to stick to the first phase until I drop 20 pounds and then reintroduce some
carbs, (more veggies and maybe an occasional slice of multi grain bread). Long
term goal is 40 pounds, and then develop a maintenance diet.