PDA

View Full Version : Personal bio's

Tim J.
March 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
It's been a while since we've declared ourselves here, and I thought it might be
interesting to some of the relatively new people in the group. I know it was fun
for me when folks did this shortly after I started reading the group.

Me first:
I was born in Ohio in 1955, but my family moved to Southern California while I
was just a babe. A new business endeavor presented itself to me in 1989, so my
family and I moved to Western Massachusetts. I have a beautiful wife and three
grown children who make me proud every day of my life. The "kids" are 27, 25,
and 21 years old. My older son is a respiratory therapist in Hartford, CT, my
daughter is a zoo keeper at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL, and my
younger son is a full-time student in college, and works for a local restaurant
chain.

One of the opportunities presented to me by this move to Western Mass. was the
abundance of rich trout fishing streams and rivers in the New England area. I
also enjoy fishing for bluegill and bass on the local ponds. Once I decided I
enjoyed fly fishing more than other types of fresh water fishing, I looked for
ways to "better my game." Although there are many tutorials and classes
available, one of the most successful methods for me was to get involved in this
group. The information I've picked up here has been first rate, and I've had the
pleasure of meeting several "roffians" face-to-face, continue to meet some on a
regular basis, and learn a lot each time. I look forward to meeting many more in
the coming years. I've attended only one official ROFF 'clave so far at Penns
Creek in Pennsylvania, and that only for a few days. As fate and funds allow, I
plan on attending as many of these as I can in the future. It is an experience I
highly recommend to any fly fisher of any experience level.

I enjoy many simple pleasures, mainly spending time with my wife and children,
and as much time streamside as possible. My main hobby is fly fishing, including
fly tying. I frequent the ROFF and ROFFT newsgroups and contribute (?)
regularly. In a past life, I collected several hundred rock and roll LP's from
the '60s, '70s and early '80s, but don't presently have the inclination, time,
or equipment to give them a proper listen.
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
March 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
"Tim J." wrote...
> It's been a while since we've declared ourselves here, and I thought it might
be
> interesting to some of the relatively new people in the group.

<snip>

I forgot to mention what I do for a living. I run a computer software/hardware
support company (no, we don't outsource.)
--
TL,
Tim

Jeff Taylor
March 2nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> It's been a while since we've declared ourselves here, and I thought it
might be
> interesting to some of the relatively new people in the group. I know it
was fun
> for me when folks did this shortly after I started reading the group.

Hi All,

For the most part I lurk, however chime in on occasion. My first post to the
NG was back in March of '96, I stopped in from time to time and have been a
regular reader for the past couple years.

I was born in Spokane, WA. in 1966 and have lived around the area for most
of my life. 5 years ago my wife and 12 year old son moved 40 miles north to
Diamond Lake. Other than fly fishing, I have a passion for water sports
(mainly slalom course skiing and hydrofoiling) as does my family.

For nearly 20 years, I have worked for what was once the largest Keyboard
manufacturer in the world. Over the last 3 years the company has diversified
into a contract manufacturing company building most anything that can be
injected molded, our largest press being 3000 ton. One product we
manufacture that you might be aware of is the Clorox mop. Crazy going from
high tech to low tech, but it pays the bills. I have been the Network Admin
for a number of years and was the telecom tech before that. We have
facilities in Spokane, Texas, Las Cruces, Mexico, China and Ireland.

My father introduced me to flyfishing at a very early age and that grew into
fly tying as well. I drifted away from it for a period of time with school,
family, etc... however have been playing at it pretty hard for the last 15 +
years. For the most part I fish Idaho and Montana waters, Kelly Creek being
one of my favorite getaways.

I had hopes of meeting some of the ROFF folks last summer on Rock Creek,
however my group decided to move over onto the Bitterroot before everyone
arrived. Unfortunately I wasn't driving my own rig on this trip or I would
have drove back over to say hello. I don't know if it I will get to a clave
this year, but hopefully in the future. It's always nice to put a face with
a name and a hand shake.

To me ROFF has been fun, gaining new and different ideas with allot of
laughs along the way. A couple weeks ago I showed my wife the group, she
said "it looks like a soap opera to me". She did say after reading a few
threads that she could see how it could be infectious and inquired the other
day as to "what was going on with that flyfishing thing you read".
I responded, "it's kind of a political group at this time" :)

As many would agree, due to work, family, life, etc... I don't get out on
the water as much as I would like, however I truly cherish every moment I do
get streamside with my fishing buddies, wife and son...

Hope to meet up with some of you rotten ol' buggers someday,
Jeff T.
P.S. Anyone know if the Clearwater near Orofino is still fishing and or the
South Fork? I am trying to get away the end of the week for a little steelie
action?!
PSS. Great idea Tim!

Ken Fortenberry
March 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> It's been a while since we've declared ourselves here, and I thought it might be
> interesting to some of the relatively new people in the group. I know it was fun
> for me when folks did this shortly after I started reading the group. ...

I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den

Well, I'm a wanted man in Texas, busted jail and I'm gone for good.
Well, the sheriff couldn't catch me,
But his little girl sure wish she could.

Well now the doctor call me crazy, sometimes I am, sometimes I ain't,
Yes, and the preacher man call me sinner
But his little girl call me saint.

Well a couple shots of whiskey, women `round here start looking good,
A couple more shots of whiskey, I'm going down to Minglewood.

I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
Oh, my number one occupation is stealing women from their men

(Apologies to Noah Lewis and the Grateful Dead)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Bill Mason
March 3rd, 2004, 04:33 AM
"Tim J." > wrote in message
> It's been a while since we've declared ourselves here, and I thought it
might be
> interesting to some of the relatively new people in the group. I know it
was fun
> for me when folks did this shortly after I started reading the group.

OK Tim---I'm up to your challenge. Born and raised in SoCal, I've certainly
seen some changes in my 38 years. My first fish was a tiny 'bow caught when
I was about six years old, but I lost it when I dropped the "pole" to chase
a frog. I've been missing fish ever since. The FF bug bit me hard about
three years ago after a lifetime of spinning, and I haven't looked back
since. I tie some ugly bugs, put down pools in record time and generally
have a great time chasing trout...hope to get into some corbina in the surf
this summer. Current work=biotech, future work=patent law in biotech,
marital status =married , happy and...well, best to keep some secrets. No
claves yet, but I've met a couple of really cool roffians. Still waiting
for Tim J. to show his face on the west coast so I can haul him down a
horrible "trail" to chase tiny native trout...chicken Tim? That's about it
for me. The hackers already have my SSN, so I won't go into that.

Cheers,
Bill

Tom Littleton
March 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM
No need to bother anyone with the childhood and upbringing stuff, my formative
years were much later......
After an early retirement from my career as a jockey(two time riding champ at
Finger Lakes), I settled in the woods of Eastern Connecticut. Rugged country,
where for over two centuries, men have worked the land, cutting trees and
building several thousand miles of rock walls. Feeling a need to contribute, I
enlisted during the Drug Wars, serving mainly in North Providence and Lower
Manhatten. Was forced to discharge from same after a nasty liver injury. I had
built up considerable savings, lost during the first Bush administration. I
headed south to Pennsylvania for the trout fishing, and for several years,
raised alpacas. Bailed out when the advertising blitz started, bringing the
Riff-Raff into the business. This windfall lasted until the second Bush
administration. At present, I am well cared for by my loving wife Lisa and
daughter Jeanine and thus have essentially no duties whatsoever. I have
participated in ROFF since 1986, but started in earnest in 1994, when I got a
computer. I feebly attempt to host the now-annual Penn's Creek Clave. This
event has evolved, in a Darwinian fashion, to a self-managing event. The only
work I am required to do at all consists of spending the entire month of April
watering down the lower camping meadow. My two proudest ROFFian items are the
fact that I actually met, and dined al fresco with, RDean(btw, anyone who
thinks that RDL fellow is him is whacked, and not a careful reader), and I own
a bottle of Opie's RedAss Hot Sauce. As always, I look forward to one and all
coming down, up or whichever direction to Penn's in May(May 16-23, 2004). Hope
this helps<vbseg>.
Tom

Lat705
March 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
>my
>daughter is a zoo keeper

I hope the Salmon fly tiers don't overload your email!

Lou T

Tim J.
March 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
"Lat705" wrote...
> >my
> >daughter is a zoo keeper
>
> I hope the Salmon fly tiers don't overload your email!

I *DO* get a pretty nice supply of fresh peacock herl!
--
TL,
Tim

Jonathan Cook
March 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
As near as I can tell I've been on ROFF longer than everyone
else (who posts regularly) except daytripper.

I don't really fish much anymore since moving to the desert.
(which is probably why I still read ROFF). Rather, a donkey,
a mule, and a horse provide our more regular recreation these
days, and hunting is helping fill the fishing voids.

The best thing ROFF did for me was save me from being brainwashed
into the catch and release "ethic". I had not kept a fish for
a while when TimW started a few years of sometimes raucous
discussion on C+R. I now heartily enjoy fresh fish when I can :-)

Go to a clave if you get the chance. There's a lot of good people
on ROFF. I went to the 2000 San Juan clave and met some really
nice people, and I'm very sorry that I haven't been able to make
the later San Juan claves.

I'm still trying to figure out Willi's fascination with Fruit
Loops.

Bruiser if you are reading, I'm gettin' really close to *needing*
a trip to the Penasco. Actually, this reminds me to send mail to
a couple of guys down here to see if there up for it.

As I recently mentioned, my #1 unfulfilled flyfishing dream is to
catch a tarpon.

My most realistic chance-to-be-fulfilled flyfishing wish right now
is to fish the Green river. A friend down here came back last year
with some awesome reports.

A CWRUClave in Stanley would be way cool but we'd have to do some
long range planning. Realistically I'd be looking at 2005 or 2006.

Carp _can_ save the day.

Jon.

Scott Seidman
March 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
(Jonathan Cook) wrote in news:d812bd9.0403030830.4673b7b0
@posting.google.com:

> As near as I can tell I've been on ROFF longer than everyone
> else (who posts regularly) except daytripper.

Yeah, you seem to have my first post here beat by two days!

Scott

Ken Fortenberry
March 3rd, 2004, 04:38 PM
Jonathan Cook wrote:

> As near as I can tell I've been on ROFF longer than everyone
> else (who posts regularly) except daytripper.

Not even close. I've been here from Day 1, in fact mine was one of
the votes cast to create the new Usenet newsgroup. This is a post
from the first weeks of roff.

http://tinyurl.com/2wbd8

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman
March 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in
om:

> http://tinyurl.com/2wbd8

He's got you beat by two days as well, Ken. Our first post was the same
day

Scott

Ken Fortenberry
March 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Scott Seidman wrote:

> Ken Fortenberry > wrote in
> om:
>

>>http://tinyurl.com/2wbd8
>

> He's got you beat by two days as well, Ken. Our first post was the same
> day

Nope, although it was closer than I thought. That wasn't my first post
to roff, according to Google this one was:

http://tinyurl.com/yubny

I think Dave Bottom (flyfish) got one in on the first day, he still posts
occasionally, Jon mentioned daytripper and of course TBone.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
March 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
om...

AFAICT, youse guys are *all* roff wanabees: http://tinyurl.com/2wf5c :)
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
March 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> AFAICT, youse guys are *all* roff wanabees: http://tinyurl.com/2wf5c :)

OK, so according to Google roff started on May 17, 1994 and I didn't
make a post until the 19th. What can I say, I must've been fishing
at the time. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

JR
March 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
"Tim J." wrote:

> AFAICT, youse guys are *all* roff wanabees:

Tim's bio call is a little slow gettin' off the ground here. Maybe some
of the newcomers are shy(?) and the oldtimers are too tired <g>.
Perhaps this will help:

http://tinyurl.com/26ohh

JR

Tim J.
March 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
"JR" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote:
> >
> > AFAICT, youse guys are *all* roff wanabees:
>
> Tim's bio call is a little slow gettin' off the ground here.

So. . . where's yours? <G>

I think people are typing their complete bio, but they're just hitting the wrong
key: http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/f--kit.bmp
--
TL,
Tim

troutbum_mt
March 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM
says...
> I think people are typing their complete bio, but they're just hitting the wrong
> key: http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/f--kit.bmp

I use that key a lot. <g>
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Mark W. Oots
March 3rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
I'm a regular lurker who sometimes posts and sometimes just laughs instead.

Born and raised in Northern Illinois, 45 miles from Chicago, in the area
around Joliet...Yes, there are a couple of prisons here...

Been fishing longer than I can remember, though only fly fishing for about
10 years and tying for 4.

I got into fly fishing as the result of a day bass fishing when the LMB were
chasing newly hatched shad. I had nothing even remotely small enough to
simulate what they were eating and saw two guys with fly rods catching one
after another. One of them became a regular fishing partner.

I currently work in sales, (Cell Phones, 2-way radio, satellite dish). SWMBO
and I have been married for nearly 31 years. We have a daughter, 29 going on
12, and a son, 18 going on 27, a German shepherd, an old cat (developed bald
spots about the time I started fly tying) and a registered American Paint
Horse.

I fish mostly for largemouth and smallies, with a plethora of pan fish
thrown in for good measure, though a time or two a year I try my luck at
trout somewhere, usually in Arkansas or Missouri.So far I've caught 15
species on the fly rod (this year I'm gonna try for flathead cats). I'm also
a Life Member of BASS and NAFC.

Mark W. Oots

---

Wolfgang
March 3rd, 2004, 11:32 PM
"Mark W. Oots" <mark_ctc@(delete this)ameritech.net> wrote in message
om...
> I'm a regular lurker who sometimes posts and sometimes just laughs
instead.

> Born and raised in Northern Illinois, 45 miles from Chicago, in the area
> around Joliet...

Hell, that's close enough for a day trip to take in the early season opener
up here in Curdistan......if you can get sprung for a day. Rumor has it I'm
no prize, but I can vouch for Mr. Axelrad's sterling character, and he
speaks rather highly of Mr. Knight. :)

Wolfgang
who just today received word from a trustworthy source that there are
monster browns in a creek just.....THAT.....far from fennimore.

Jonathan Cook
March 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in message >...

> Not even close. I've been here from Day 1, in fact mine was one of

There were several years of flyfishing newsgroup before ROFF,
and I still remember the day you showed up :-)

Jon.

Ken Fortenberry
March 3rd, 2004, 11:53 PM
Jonathan Cook wrote:

> There were several years of flyfishing newsgroup before ROFF,
> and I still remember the day you showed up :-)

The Google archive is spotty at best. According to Google I didn't post
anything to Usenet until a Sept. 1990 post to rec.music.gdead and nothing
to rec.outdoors.fishing or alt.fishing until August of 1992. Both of
which are not true. The roff archive may be somewhat complete, as you say
roff is a relatively recent addition to Usenet, but I wouldn't trust the
Google archive for complete info before 1994.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Jeff Miller
March 4th, 2004, 02:19 AM
i'm stuck studying that silly upper case key thing... all the arrows got
me so confused...

Tim J. wrote:

> "JR" wrote...
>
>>"Tim J." wrote:
>>
>>>AFAICT, youse guys are *all* roff wanabees:
>>
>>Tim's bio call is a little slow gettin' off the ground here.
>

> So. . . where's yours? <G>
>
> I think people are typing their complete bio, but they're just hitting the wrong
> key: http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/f--kit.bmp

JR
March 4th, 2004, 07:15 AM
"Tim J." wrote:

> "JR" wrote...
> >
> > Tim's bio call is a little slow gettin' off the ground here.
>
> So. . . where's yours? <G>

Toward the bottom of the link I posted. (I'm one of the tired old
pharts.......)

JR

Mark W. Oots
March 5th, 2004, 11:25 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> Hell, that's close enough for a day trip to take in the early season
opener
> up here in Curdistan......if you can get sprung for a day.

What day would that be? If it's a day I can get off work, I might try to
make the trip. Do you guys still have much ice up there? I was out yesterday
and the northern half of the lake was open water and southern half had 1" to
6" of ice left on it....and no way to tell which end of the range it was
just by looking...I was planning on trying a nymph for panfish in the open
water end (really gotta try out the new rod soon), but the wind picked up
and the rain was coming down in Tsunamis....I tore the ice rods down when I
got home last night.

Mark

---

Wolfgang
March 6th, 2004, 12:35 AM
"Mark W. Oots" <mark_ctc@(delete this)ameritech.net> wrote in message
om...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> >

> > Hell, that's close enough for a day trip to take in the early season
> opener
> > up here in Curdistan......if you can get sprung for a day.
>
> What day would that be? If it's a day I can get off work, I might try to
> make the trip.

That would about 13 1/2 hours from now, as I write this. Mr. Knight, Mr.
Axelrad and myself (along with whatever lurkers may appear unannounced) will
be meeting at the Blue Sky Cafe in beautiful downtown Mount Horeb, WI at
approximately 0800 tomorrow.

> Do you guys still have much ice up there?

There's still lots of ice on the lakes. All of the streams in the SW third
of the state are ice free and legally open for fishing at about 5:00
a.m........if memory serves.

> I was out yesterday
> and the northern half of the lake was open water and southern half had 1"
> 6" of ice left on it....and no way to tell which end of the range it was
> just by looking...I was planning on trying a nymph for panfish in the open
> water end (really gotta try out the new rod soon), but the wind picked up
> and the rain was coming down in Tsunamis....I tore the ice rods down when
> got home last night.

Check the "WI early season opener" thread. You'll find more information on
the planned outing and a couple of phone numbers.

Hope you can make it.

Wolfgang