PDA

View Full Version : Mono line help needed

JWirth4702
October 8th, 2003, 08:07 PM
I am tying spinners with 25lb mono. I am finding that as I snell a second hook
to the line and pull the knot tight the lenght of line seems 'stressed'. I am
finding a roughness and can see where the mono seems to stretch.

Is the line Im useing poor quality? Im sure my knots are correct (Ive been
tying for years).

Any tyers with a favorite line?

Jay Wirth

Jay Wirth Origionals
Vestal, NY

Dark Knight
October 9th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Not trying to be rude Jay, but what species are you targeting with 25lbs
mono harnesses?

DK

"JWirth4702" > wrote in message
> I am tying spinners with 25lb mono. I am finding that as I snell a second
hook
> to the line and pull the knot tight the lenght of line seems 'stressed'. I
am
> finding a roughness and can see where the mono seems to stretch.
>
> Is the line Im useing poor quality? Im sure my knots are correct (Ive been
> tying for years).
>
> Any tyers with a favorite line?
>
> Jay Wirth
>

> Jay Wirth Origionals
> Vestal, NY

JWirth4702
October 10th, 2003, 01:51 AM
>Not trying to be rude Jay, but what species are you targeting with 25lbs
>mono harnesses?

This is the line we use for our Dixie Spinners (Walleye Rigs). I also use the
same line when tying Stinger hooks onto my Bucktail Jigs and as the line for
Tandem Streamers (brown & lake trout trollong - walleys like'm jiged
horizontal).

I will be making some rigs for personal use for surf fishing. I plan on 30-40lb
for a tandem drop shot type rig.

Jay Wirth

Jay Wirth Origionals
Vestal, NY

Dark Knight
October 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
WOW! Again, not trying to be rude, but have your ever considered a smaller
weight class mono? I'm a tournament Walleye angler myself, and 25lbs test
on a rig is really quite a bit - at least out here in western Canada. If
you're really worried about the break weight, you might want to consider
something like Fireline or Fushion for your applications.

Anyway, to answer your orginal question, I do some work with a harness
company that uses line from Sufix, and I personally tie all of my harnesses
now with the fluorocarbon-coated CUDA Platinum. It was originally designed
for sal****er use (obviously), but I find it makes a tremendous snell
material. The break weight is consistently 50% higher than the diameter
weight class, and I do just fine with 8lbs and 12lbs test from this company.

DK

"JWirth4702" > wrote in message
> >Not trying to be rude Jay, but what species are you targeting with 25lbs
> >mono harnesses?
> >

> This is the line we use for our Dixie Spinners (Walleye Rigs). I also use
the
> same line when tying Stinger hooks onto my Bucktail Jigs and as the line
for
> Tandem Streamers (brown & lake trout trollong - walleys like'm jiged
> horizontal).
>
> I will be making some rigs for personal use for surf fishing. I plan on
30-40lb
> for a tandem drop shot type rig.
>
> Jay Wirth
>
> Jay Wirth Origionals
> Vestal, NY

Calif Bill
October 11th, 2003, 06:44 AM
"JWirth4702" > wrote in message
> >Not trying to be rude Jay, but what species are you targeting with 25lbs
> >mono harnesses?
> >

> This is the line we use for our Dixie Spinners (Walleye Rigs). I also use
the
> same line when tying Stinger hooks onto my Bucktail Jigs and as the line
for
> Tandem Streamers (brown & lake trout trollong - walleys like'm jiged
> horizontal).
>
> I will be making some rigs for personal use for surf fishing. I plan on
30-40lb
> for a tandem drop shot type rig.
>
> Jay Wirth
>
> Jay Wirth Origionals
> Vestal, NY

Are you wetting the line when pulling it tight? I tie all the way up to 40#
test with a sliding hook and do not have a problem. As to why 40#, these
are halibut rigs and halibuts have sharp teeth.
Bill

Cameron
October 11th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Dark Knight wrote:

<snip>
> I'm a tournament Walleye angler myself
<snip>

Any tips on Walleye fishing for us amateurs?

--

It's obvious what should be removed to make it a valid e-mail address.

Dark Knight
October 11th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Morning Cameron,

Do you fish the amateur trails, or are you new to the professional trails?

DK