PDA

View Full Version : towing capacities

Dan
April 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM
I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
have a class II hitch.

David H. Lipman
April 18th, 2004, 11:50 PM
I would say go visit a U-Haul outfit. Since they install hitches and tow packages they know
what they are doing.

Dave

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
| I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
| V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
| lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
| towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
| I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
| a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
| have a class II hitch.

David H. Lipman
April 19th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Addendum:

I should have stated that you should bring the auto in question with you. You may need your
suspension beefed up., etc.

Dave

Sierra fisher
April 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Towing capacities are almost always determined by the size of your
brakes...If your brakes are rated to be able to stop 8000#. and if your car
only weighs 5000#, you are supposed to be able to tow 3000#. Good luck if
you believe that this is all there is to it.
Published towing capacites have nothing to do with the size of your engine,
your suspension, or whether you car has a frame. Most modern cars are built
like an airplane and don't have a frame, or solid undercarriage. If you tow
with a car that is built without a frame, you will eventually stretch it.
You recognize this when your doors will no longer shut!
I had a V-6 Ford Bronco Two, and it had a hard time pulling 3000# eventhough
it was rated for 5000#. That tiny little V-6 (2900cc) slowed way down
going up the slightest grades and overheated easily. I traded it in for an
Expedition with a 5.4 liter V-8.
Finally don't try it unless the "Published capacity" is at least that of
what you are towing. If it is less and you have an accident, you will be
cited and will be found at fault if there is damage or injuries to someone
else.

Re the Towing package..This is usually an extra large radiator with extra
capacity to cool your automatic transmission fluid. Perhaps a radiator man
can tell you if you have it. If you have a stick shift, it may not matter.

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
> I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
> V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
> lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
> towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
> I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
> a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
> have a class II hitch.

---

Jerry
April 19th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Dan wrote:
> I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
> V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
> lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
> towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
> I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
> a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
> have a class II hitch.

Generally you should have a separate transmission cooler (with
automatic), heavy duty battery and alternator and heavier rear springs
if equipped with a tow package. A V-6 of any type usually is never
equipped with a tow package and though U-haul may be good at installing
hitches I sure would not take their word on you vehicle's towing
capacity. Best bet is to go to a dealer and have them look up your vin
number and they can tell you all you need to know about your vehicle's
capabilities.

Jerry

Sierra fisher
April 19th, 2004, 06:23 AM
The chevy Blazers and Ford Bronco Twos with V-6's were optionally equiped
with tow packages. In Fact, Chevy equiped their straight 4 cylinger Blazer
with a tow package, and advertised it as having the highest tow rating in
its class; they could do this becasue the 4 cylinder weighed significantly
less than the V-6. It didn't matter that the little 4 couldn't pull much.

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
> > I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
> > V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
> > lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
> > towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
> > I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
> > a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
> > have a class II hitch.
>
> Generally you should have a separate transmission cooler (with
> automatic), heavy duty battery and alternator and heavier rear springs
> if equipped with a tow package. A V-6 of any type usually is never
> equipped with a tow package and though U-haul may be good at installing
> hitches I sure would not take their word on you vehicle's towing
> capacity. Best bet is to go to a dealer and have them look up your vin
> number and they can tell you all you need to know about your vehicle's
> capabilities.
>
> Jerry

---

Jerry
April 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Sierra fisher wrote:
> The chevy Blazers and Ford Bronco Twos with V-6's were optionally equiped
> with tow packages. In Fact, Chevy equiped their straight 4 cylinger Blazer
> with a tow package, and advertised it as having the highest tow rating in
> its class; they could do this becasue the 4 cylinder weighed significantly
> less than the V-6. It didn't matter that the little 4 couldn't pull much.

Sounds like a lot of advertising hype that probable left many
disappointed with performance not to mention prematurely failed engines
and drive trains. Sounds like something that may be okay to tow a small
trailer with Home Depot supplies or a jet ski with but when you start
getting up in weight such as the 3,000 pounds Dan will be towing it just
isn't worth the danger and hassle involved. That amount of weight may
not sound like much but when you start trying to pull it up a steep
incline, stop it on a decline or control it in a cross wind you quickly
come to realize what you have back there.

Jerry

Dan
April 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM
> Generally you should have a separate transmission cooler (with
> automatic),
I can add this, price do it yourself $60-80. I plan to do this.
why? "heavy duty battery and alternator"

Suspension might be a problem although this particular year comes with
quote "heavier" leaf springs.

The V6 is a 3.8 litre (3800) GM motor (170hp). I will be towing this
boat short distances ( less than 1/4 mile) except twice a year, when I
will tow it approx 150 miles. The boat and trailer should be around
3000lbs, curb weight of the car 3400lbs.What do you think?

Bubba Test
April 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM
"They know what they're doing." That's a lot of faith!

"David H. Lipman" > wrote in message
> I would say go visit a U-Haul outfit. Since they install hitches and tow
packages they know
> what they are doing.
>
> Dave

Sierra fisher
April 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I sounds like you're going to do it regardless of anyone's advice. Re
your suspension: you will have to determine the tongue weight or the loaded
trailer. It should be about 200# for safety: e.i. to make sure that it
stays on the hitch. If it is significantly more, like 400#, the rear end of
your car will be dragging on the pavement untless you put some kind of load
levelor shocks on the car. If it is 200# or less you can weigh it with a
bathroom scale. If it more, you will have to go some place that weighs
trucks.

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
> > Generally you should have a separate transmission cooler (with
> > automatic),
> I can add this, price do it yourself $60-80. I plan to do this.
> why? "heavy duty battery and alternator"
>
> Suspension might be a problem although this particular year comes with
> quote "heavier" leaf springs.
>
> The V6 is a 3.8 litre (3800) GM motor (170hp). I will be towing this
> boat short distances ( less than 1/4 mile) except twice a year, when I
> will tow it approx 150 miles. The boat and trailer should be around
> 3000lbs, curb weight of the car 3400lbs.What do you think?

---

Sierra fisher
April 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Before you go to far, you might also determine whether you can launch the
boat from this trialer when it is towed with your car. Pulling it with a
car, the hitch is going to ride closer to the ground than with a truck.
that means the rear of the boat will be riding higher. With a truck, you
can back quite a distance into the water. With a low riding car, you will
not be able to. Might want to make a trial run to you 1/4 mile launch site.

"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> I sounds like you're going to do it regardless of anyone's advice. Re
> your suspension: you will have to determine the tongue weight or the
loaded
> trailer. It should be about 200# for safety: e.i. to make sure that it
> stays on the hitch. If it is significantly more, like 400#, the rear end
of
> your car will be dragging on the pavement untless you put some kind of
load
> levelor shocks on the car. If it is 200# or less you can weigh it with a
> bathroom scale. If it more, you will have to go some place that weighs
> trucks.
>

> "Dan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > Generally you should have a separate transmission cooler (with
> > > automatic),
> > I can add this, price do it yourself $60-80. I plan to do this.
> > why? "heavy duty battery and alternator"
> >
> > Suspension might be a problem although this particular year comes with
> > quote "heavier" leaf springs.
> >
> > The V6 is a 3.8 litre (3800) GM motor (170hp). I will be towing this
> > boat short distances ( less than 1/4 mile) except twice a year, when I
> > will tow it approx 150 miles. The boat and trailer should be around
> > 3000lbs, curb weight of the car 3400lbs.What do you think?
>

> ---

---

Dan
April 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message >...
> I sounds like you're going to do it regardless of anyone's advice.
NO, if I give the facts and you still have fact based reasons, not
your personal opinion, then of course I won't. If that were the case I
would not be asking. I am merely stating what the specs say, with the
towing option for my car, the book says 3000lb tow capacity, tounge
weight appears to be less than 300 lbs. Unsure exactly but I can lift
the trailer relatively easily. Boat weight, 2340 lbs unloaded. Class
II hitch on car gives 3500 lbs, 350lb tounge weight. I have since
found out the transmission is a 440 trans. I am unsure of the trailer
weight but I estimate 400 to 500?? Unloaded I can lift one tire at a
time off the ground. So, In short I know its best not to towe the boat
with this car, I know I should probably buy a truck just to haul this
boat 1/4 mile 10 times a year and 150mile twice a year but Id really
like to know if it is necessary. Or can I buy a transmission cooler,
$50-$80, put electric brakes on the trailer, $300-500, Thanks Again
for the help.

Bob La Londe
April 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Have you actually talked with the people at U-Haul? They just know the
basics they are taught. All they really know how to do is sell you the
little extras. One that got me particularly POed was the day they tried to
sell me a lighting adaptor when I rented a trailer. I let them know I had
oen and it was already plugged into my pigtail. They claimed I did not.
When I walked out to the truck I found my adaptor tossed up under the truck.
Since then I will plug in my adaptor and wrap it with electrical tape to
prevent them from removing it.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"David H. Lipman" > wrote in message
> I would say go visit a U-Haul outfit. Since they install hitches and tow
packages they know
> what they are doing.
>
> Dave
>

> "Dan" > wrote in message
> om...
> | I am looking to buy a boat and need to know if I can towe it with my
> | V-6 Olds 98 regency elite. The boat and trailer will weigh around 3000
> | lbs. My owners manual says I can towe up to 3000 lbs with the optional
> | towing package. How can I tell if I have the towing option. Also, when
> | I go to the U-haul web site and put in my vehicle, it says I can towe
> | a trailer with a weight of 4400 lbs. I have no idea if I can tow it. I
> | have a class II hitch.

Bob La Londe
April 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> The chevy Blazers and Ford Bronco Twos with V-6's were optionally equiped
> with tow packages. In Fact, Chevy equiped their straight 4 cylinger
Blazer
> with a tow package, and advertised it as having the highest tow rating in
> its class; they could do this becasue the 4 cylinder weighed
significantly
> less than the V-6. It didn't matter that the little 4 couldn't pull much.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by tow. I have towed my 3000lb boat
with my GMC Sonoma with the 2.2L4. Not very fast, and I stayed in lwoer
gears, but my bigger truck was acting up, and that was before I bought the
newer 2500HD.

Since I only had 25 miles to go I didn't mind only running 45 mph.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Bob La Londe
April 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM
1/4 mile? Thats it? I'ld take it slow and leave it manually shifted into
lower gears. Taking a trial run or two makes sense. You might want to
consider a receiver hitch so you could reverse a drop hitch and raise the
tongue of the trailer slightly for level towing and easier launching and

My biggest concern would be your ability to pull the loaded trailer up the
ramp. Go on a moderately busy day when you can some help if it won't handle
it and then try it. I suggest shifting into your lowest gear before towing
up the ramp. That way if you start to spin and wheel speed picks up it
can't shift intoa higher gear and surprise you. I almost always shift into
first even in my big truck to pull out of the water. I feel it gives me
better control.

You may choose to add some type of overlaod to your car. There are several
options. Hydraulic or air shocks are one. Adding a leaf spring or tow is
another, but your unloaded ride will be stiffer. You might also try and
find a shop like American Spring to offer some advice. On my S-10 with the
4.3L which I use as a work truck they installed additional leaf springs to
handle my daily load, and then added timbren overloads (air springs) for
hauling a trialer. When I drop a heavy trailer on the truck the overlaods
engage, but when hauling the daily laod it is on the leaf springs only.
Makes for a decent load all of the time.

For you the Timbren overlaods might be adequate. It also would not
sacrifice your ride when not hauling the trailer.

If you take it very easy I doubt you would do any permanent damage to your
car by taking a single trial run to see what you need to do.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
> "Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> > I sounds like you're going to do it regardless of anyone's advice.
> NO, if I give the facts and you still have fact based reasons, not
> your personal opinion, then of course I won't. If that were the case I
> would not be asking. I am merely stating what the specs say, with the
> towing option for my car, the book says 3000lb tow capacity, tounge
> weight appears to be less than 300 lbs. Unsure exactly but I can lift
> the trailer relatively easily. Boat weight, 2340 lbs unloaded. Class
> II hitch on car gives 3500 lbs, 350lb tounge weight. I have since
> found out the transmission is a 440 trans. I am unsure of the trailer
> weight but I estimate 400 to 500?? Unloaded I can lift one tire at a
> time off the ground. So, In short I know its best not to towe the boat
> with this car, I know I should probably buy a truck just to haul this
> boat 1/4 mile 10 times a year and 150mile twice a year but Id really
> like to know if it is necessary. Or can I buy a transmission cooler,
> $50-$80, put electric brakes on the trailer, $300-500, Thanks Again
> for the help.

Dan
April 21st, 2004, 02:22 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message >...
> 1/4 mile?
Yeah, its very close, I would have to pull it about twice a year about
150 miles.

> consider a receiver hitch
Thats what I have.
>so you could reverse a drop hitch and raise the
Yeah that sounds reasonable.

> You may choose to add some type of overlaod to your car. There are several
> options.Hydraulic or air shocks are one.
My car has some sort of air shocks now, I have a load leveler system,
although I have no idea how effective they might be, sounds like I
should maybe go to a shock dealer and get an opinion?

> For you the Timbren overlaods might be adequate.
I will look this up, Thanks
> sacrifice your ride when not hauling the trailer.

> If you take it very easy I doubt you would do any permanent damage to your
> car by taking a single trial run to see what you need to do.
I plan to take a trial run for pulling, my tranny is supposed to
deliver 220 ft/pounds of torque so I am trying now to determine if
that is suffiecient to pull approx 3000 lbs or not.

I've already bought a heavy duty (5000lb towe capacity) transmission
cooler for my car ($41 at AutoZone) and will install before trying any
serious towing.
Thanks Very Much,Danny

Sierra fisher
April 22nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
I had an add-on transmission cooler on an RV which used hose clamps to hold
everything together. One worked loose, and I lost all of the oil and
eventually the transmission. I would recommend double clamping
everything....then routine checking. .

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Dan" > wrote in message
om...
> "Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> > 1/4 mile?
> Yeah, its very close, I would have to pull it about twice a year about
> 150 miles.
>
> > consider a receiver hitch
> Thats what I have.
> >so you could reverse a drop hitch and raise the
> Yeah that sounds reasonable.
>
> > You may choose to add some type of overlaod to your car. There are
several
> > options.Hydraulic or air shocks are one.
> My car has some sort of air shocks now, I have a load leveler system,
> although I have no idea how effective they might be, sounds like I
> should maybe go to a shock dealer and get an opinion?
>
> > For you the Timbren overlaods might be adequate.
> I will look this up, Thanks
> > sacrifice your ride when not hauling the trailer.
>
> > If you take it very easy I doubt you would do any permanent damage to
your
> > car by taking a single trial run to see what you need to do.
> I plan to take a trial run for pulling, my tranny is supposed to
> deliver 220 ft/pounds of torque so I am trying now to determine if
> that is suffiecient to pull approx 3000 lbs or not.
>
> I've already bought a heavy duty (5000lb towe capacity) transmission
> cooler for my car ($41 at AutoZone) and will install before trying any
> serious towing.
> Thanks Very Much,Danny

---

Jerry
April 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Dan wrote:

> I plan to take a trial run for pulling, my tranny is supposed to
> deliver 220 ft/pounds of torque so I am trying now to determine if
> that is suffiecient to pull approx 3000 lbs or not.

It's not ........... 220 ft/pounds from the transmission is not what you
will see at the ground from the rear end and that is what counts. Keep
in mind that torque also has to move your vehicle. As one person
pointed out you may have a problem just getting up a ramp. Just my
opinion but I think you are setting up a disaster looking for a place to
happen .............. good luck.

Jerry

Dan
April 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks to all for your posts. I have picked up my boat with my car and
took it home. Not the most pleasurable experience in the world. Pulled
just fine, but I had not put in the tranny cooler yet and it really
heated quickly. Motor seemed to have plenty of power. It was much more
stress on the car than I thought it would be. I will not be towing it
the 150 miles with my car, the test proved this would not be wise. I
will find a road with a pretty steep grade and see if I can pull it up
the grade (after I put the trans cooler on). Rememeber, once I get the
boat to the lake (150) miles I will only be towing 1/4 mile to where
it is stored. So if the test runs well I may use the car for pulling
in and out of the water at the lake. Thanks Again, Danny