PDA

View Full Version : Re: Unknown fly pattern

Sierra fisher
September 20th, 2003, 06:07 AM
I agree with Sandy. When fish sip, it is usually for one of the following
reasons. The flies are really small, like midges: the flies are emergers
stuck in the surface film, or the flies are dead, like spinners. The fish
when sipping are using minimum energy which means the flies will have
difficulty getting away from the fish (emergers and spinners) or the flies
are too small to justify a log of energy.
Since the fly was olive and bigger than a midge, I woudl try an olive
emerger, or an olive spinner in a size 14

"Sandy" > wrote in message
> djo wrote:
> > I was fishing one of our tiny midwestern spring creeks last week and
> > had worked my way below a very nice trout that was regularly sipping
> > something unseeable off of the surface. Over the course of a half
> > hour I managed to float a half dozen different dries in front of it
> > without any success. During that time an older gentleman had come up
> > behind me and was watching my lack of success. So I offered to let
> > him practice his casting over the trout and he accepted. Yup, you
> > guessed it. First cast and he's into what turns out to be a 18 inch
> > rainbow.
> > Now it could be that he was a better fisherman than I or luckier or
> > he had the correct fly. He showed me what he was using. It was about
> > a #14 dry fly with a small tail, a fairly standard body of olive green
> > dubbing, and an upright wing of what I assumed was antron but I
> > suppose might have been CDC. NO HACKLE. I was paying too much
> > attention to the fish and not the fly. I did not get a name for it.
> > Anyone have any ideas what it was.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
>
> I don't know the name of the fly but it sounds as if it was a "damp"
patern,
> fishing in rather than on the surface. The reason you couldn't see what
the
> fish was eating was because it was taking something from just below or in
> the surface film, hence the reason your dries weren't working.
>
> --
> Don`t Worry, Be Happy
>
> Sandy
> --
>
> E-Mail:-
> Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
> IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667
> #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled
> ICQ : 41266150

---

Hooked
September 20th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Should have paid more attention to the fly, then you could have paid more
attention to your own fish.

om...