PDA

View Full Version : Re: PT Nymph Legs/Hackle

Sierra fisher
September 20th, 2003, 06:14 AM
I believe that there is a quote in Gary Borger's book "Presentation" that
needs to be remembered. The question arose about how good a fishes eyes
were. Gary said something like" if they were any good they wouldn't take
the flies that we are presenting to them" Part of the fun of tying is
experimenting and then running out to the stream or pond and trying them.

"Eric Larsen" > wrote in message
> I've been looking at the variations on the PT nymph patterns (including
> patterns like the Copper John). When it comes to the wing/legs of the
fly,
> there are all sorts of variations. The variation I'm particularly
> interested in the where the legs are tied at the rear of the thorax versus
> being tied in at the head of the fly.
>
> I'm not saying that this is incorrect mind you I'm interested in the
> rationale of tying the pattern this way.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

---

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 07:49 AM
"Sierra fisher" wrote > I believe that there is a quote in Gary Borger's
book "Presentation" that
> needs to be remembered. The question arose about how good a fishes eyes
> were. Gary said something like" if they were any good they wouldn't take
> the flies that we are presenting to them" Part of the fun of tying is
> experimenting and then running out to the stream or pond and trying them.

I believe the above (I realize it's Borger and not you) is an over
simplification to an extreme degree.. To illustrate this I would suggest we
ask the question a different way.. Do trout take flies because they have
poor eyesight? The answer is of course not... they have extremely good
eyesight... how they interpret what they see is the important factor. They
will overlook certain imperfections (A bloody great hook for instance) if
certain key features are present. I would warn against tying on the basis
trout have poor eyesight, but would encourage anyone to concentrate on
features of the natural which can be subtly caricatured... the theory of
this has been explored in several works here in NZ and the U.K. and I would
recommend anyone keen on studying the triggers that cause fish to recognize
something as food to read "Trout With Nymph" by Tony Orman, a New Zealand
publication where he explores what is termed "supernormal releasers" a
theory by NZ Angler Jim Ring..

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Stephen Welsh
September 20th, 2003, 10:18 PM
"Clark Reid" > wrote in
:

> anyone keen on studying the triggers that cause fish
> to recognize something as food to read "Trout With Nymph" by
> Tony Orman, a New Zealand publication where he explores what is
> termed "supernormal releasers" a theory by NZ Angler Jim Ring..

Don't you have to be a "supernormal catcher" first?

;-)

Steve

Clark Reid
September 21st, 2003, 02:50 AM
Nope :)

Hell you can be a supernormal killer if you want.. but by then you'll have
discovered the releaser...

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com