PDA

View Full Version : Re: QUESTION: Hooks snapping on de-barb

Hooked
September 20th, 2003, 07:47 AM
"Chas Wade" > wrote in message
et...
> Scott Seidman > wrote:
>

> It was a barb on a #22 that got hooked in my son's eye lid and required
> a doctor's help to remove. Since then I debarb everything I fish with.

So how did this hook end up there in the first place?

Chas Wade
September 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM
Scott Seidman > wrote:
>Chas,
>
>I really should say absolutely nothing here, cause your boy was at
>risk,
>and it couldn't have been a very pleasant situation, but was your son
>wearing eye protection??

It's a good enough point that I can't take offense at it. This was
about 20 years ago, and people hadn't gotten into the radical defend
the kids from everything mode yet.

>When I teach in the courses, I gear up, and I ask the audience to call
>out
>the most important piece of gear I'm wearing. I make sure they all
>understand that it's my glasses or sunglasses, and why. Next, I take
>my
>whistle out of my wader pocket. Then my wading staff.

I'm with you on the glasses, but I put a hat next, and don't bother
with either the whistle or the wading staff. I can yell as loud as a
whistle, and I'd just trip over the staff. I call the hat my "casting
helmet". A full brim, not a baseball cap.

>Of course, your son could have caught a hook anywhere on his body, and
>you
>would have had a similar problem, but not as nervewracking. Hell, for
>all
>I know, your boy could have had a freak accident at the tying vise.

This part, though true, is irrelevant.

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Chas Wade
September 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM
"Hooked" > wrote:
>"Chas Wade" > wrote in message
et...
>> Scott Seidman > wrote:
>>

>> It was a barb on a #22 that got hooked in my son's eye lid and
>>required
>> a doctor's help to remove. Since then I debarb everything I fish
>>with.
>>

>So how did this hook end up there in the first place?

I was in one of those one man rafts that Sevylor calls a three man
raft. My legs run the entire length of the floor, and my son sat on my
feet and the far end of the raft. This put his head less than 5 feet
from mine. When the fish rose and I missed him, I tried to turn the
strike into a backcast and get the fly back there as quickly as
possible. Normally that trick works well for me, but this time the
line wrapped around his head. Even though I stopped tha casting
motion, the momentum of the line completed the job. His eye naturally
closed well before the fly got to it. I leaned forward, told him we'd
take care of it, and bit off the leader before any more trouble could
come up.

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Scott Seidman
September 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Chas Wade > wrote in news:dQbbb.115190$mp.58539
@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

> Scott Seidman > wrote:
>>Chas,
>>
>>I really should say absolutely nothing here, cause your boy was at
>>risk,
>>and it couldn't have been a very pleasant situation, but was your son
>>wearing eye protection??
>
> It's a good enough point that I can't take offense at it. This was
> about 20 years ago, and people hadn't gotten into the radical defend
> the kids from everything mode yet.
>

>>When I teach in the courses, I gear up, and I ask the audience to call
>>out
>>the most important piece of gear I'm wearing. I make sure they all
>>understand that it's my glasses or sunglasses, and why. Next, I take
>>my
>>whistle out of my wader pocket. Then my wading staff.
>
> I'm with you on the glasses, but I put a hat next, and don't bother
> with either the whistle or the wading staff. I can yell as loud as a
> whistle, and I'd just trip over the staff. I call the hat my "casting
> helmet". A full brim, not a baseball cap.
>

>>Of course, your son could have caught a hook anywhere on his body, and
>>you
>>would have had a similar problem, but not as nervewracking. Hell, for
>>all
>>I know, your boy could have had a freak accident at the tying vise.
>
> This part, though true, is irrelevant.
>
> Chas
> http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Chas-

Tremendously happy that you took this in the spirit with which it was
intended.

Fully agree on the staff, BTW. I use a folding one, just so I always
have it and might not trip over it. I also try to use it exclusively for
wading myself out of trouble, but the temptation is always there to wade
myself into trouble. Also, a staff is really no substitute for an
attentive wading buddy.

The whistle, though, I really push. You can yell as loudly as a whistle
can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured. For a three buck
investment and a tiny space in my vest, I'll keep carrying the whistle.

What's your son doing these days, BTW??

Scott

Wolfgang
September 22nd, 2003, 10:54 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...

> You can yell as loudly as a whistle
> can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured.....

Maybe. I remain skeptical. But volume and tenacity aren't necessarily
always the key issues, anyway. High frequency sounds carry much better
through background noise.......like rushing water, or wind in the trees.
Birds figured it out years ago. In addition, a signal note, regardless of
pitch, is much more likely to be noticed if it is of long duration. A
whistle requires relatively little air flow. It's pretty easy to hold a
note for thirty seconds or more on a whistle. Try that with a maximum
volume shout sometime.......and half a dozen or so shouts like that will
pretty much fry most people's vocal cords.

Wolfgang
tweet, tweet!

Ernie
September 22nd, 2003, 11:13 PM
Wolfie.
I used to carry one of those little cans of compressed gas with the horn
on top in my fishing vest. I figured it would carry a lot further than
hollering.
Ernie

"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>
> > You can yell as loudly as a whistle
> > can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured.....
>
> Maybe. I remain skeptical. But volume and tenacity aren't necessarily
> always the key issues, anyway. High frequency sounds carry much better
> through background noise.......like rushing water, or wind in the trees.
> Birds figured it out years ago. In addition, a signal note, regardless of
> pitch, is much more likely to be noticed if it is of long duration. A
> whistle requires relatively little air flow. It's pretty easy to hold a
> note for thirty seconds or more on a whistle. Try that with a maximum
> volume shout sometime.......and half a dozen or so shouts like that will
> pretty much fry most people's vocal cords.
>
> Wolfgang
> tweet, tweet!

Wolfgang
September 22nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
"Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in message
m...
> Wolfie.
> I used to carry one of those little cans of compressed gas with the
horn
> on top in my fishing vest. I figured it would carry a lot further than
> hollering.
> Ernie

I'm sure it would. And I suspect it's at least as loud as a
whistle.....probably louder. Also easy to operate. On the minus side;
bulky, expensive, relatively heavy and.....I don't know, how long will one
of those thing go?

Wolfgang

Ernie
September 22nd, 2003, 11:53 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in message
> m...
> > Wolfie.
> > I used to carry one of those little cans of compressed gas with the
> horn
> > on top in my fishing vest. I figured it would carry a lot further than
> > hollering.
> > Ernie
>
> I'm sure it would. And I suspect it's at least as loud as a
> whistle.....probably louder. Also easy to operate. On the minus side;
> bulky, expensive, relatively heavy and.....I don't know, how long will
one
> of those thing go?
>
> Wolfgang

The one I am talking about is about 4 inches long, 2 inches in diameter and
quite light. It could blast for a quite long time.
Ernie

Hooked
September 23rd, 2003, 06:53 AM
"Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in message

> The one I am talking about is about 4 inches long, 2 inches in diameter
and
> quite light. It could blast for a quite long time.
> Ernie

The real question should be, "How will one of those air horns work if one
takes a spill and it gets soaked?" I'm sure those reads can't take a lot of
moisture.

Chas Wade
September 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Scott Seidman > wrote:

>Tremendously happy that you took this in the spirit with which it was
>intended.
>
>Fully agree on the staff, BTW. I use a folding one, just so I always
>have it and might not trip over it. I also try to use it exclusively
>for
>wading myself out of trouble, but the temptation is always there to
>wade
>myself into trouble. Also, a staff is really no substitute for an
>attentive wading buddy.
>
>The whistle, though, I really push. You can yell as loudly as a
>whistle
>can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured. For a three buck
>investment and a tiny space in my vest, I'll keep carrying the whistle.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'm of the opinion
that the less extraneous stuff I carry, the more fun I'll have. As
soon as I feel the need to carry a whistle, I'll realize I need a
pistol capable of stopping a bear or a crazed fisherman. I'll also
realize I need a satelite phone and an ELT (emergency locator
transmitter). The experience is richer for me without all that modern
"safety" stuff.

This is just the way it works for me, not a position I advocate for
others.

>What's your son doing these days, BTW??

Working as a geologist, skiing, and fishing whenever he can. He also
ties flies. No negative repercussions from the accident.

Thanks for asking,

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Tim J.
September 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
"Chas Wade" wrote...
> Scott Seidman wrote:
> >What's your son doing these days, BTW??
>
> Working as a geologist, skiing, and fishing whenever he can. He also
> ties flies. No negative repercussions from the accident.

That's great news, Chas.
--
TL,
Tim

Scott Seidman
September 23rd, 2003, 01:42 PM
"Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in
m:

> Wolfie.
> I used to carry one of those little cans of compressed gas with the
> horn
> on top in my fishing vest. I figured it would carry a lot further
> than hollering.
> Ernie

My wife would reply to this with some comment that I bear striking
similarity to a little can of compressed gas with a horn.

Scott

Scott Seidman
September 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in
:

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>
>> You can yell as loudly as a whistle
>> can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured.....
>
> Maybe. I remain skeptical. But volume and tenacity aren't
> necessarily always the key issues, anyway. High frequency sounds
> carry much better through background noise.......like rushing water,
> or wind in the trees. Birds figured it out years ago. In addition, a
> signal note, regardless of pitch, is much more likely to be noticed if
> it is of long duration. A whistle requires relatively little air
> flow. It's pretty easy to hold a note for thirty seconds or more on a
> whistle. Try that with a maximum volume shout sometime.......and half
> a dozen or so shouts like that will pretty much fry most people's
> vocal cords.
>
> Wolfgang
> tweet, tweet!

Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and dollar for
dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell of a deal. I
also think that when you have a whistle, everybody around you is a little
bit safer. Let's say you use a buddy system, one buddy busts a long bone
descending a gorge-- now what. Without a whistle, there's a larger chance
that the uninjured guy will have to hike back up and get help, or carry the
breakee out of the gorge solo, but with a whistle there's a bigger chance
that help might come to you.

I'll keep promoting my whistle carry to newbies.

Scott

Kevin Vang
September 23rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
Scott Seidman wrote:

> Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and dollar for
> dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell of a deal.

And, as a free bonus, you can use it to call your dog.

Kevin

slenon
September 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
>I'll keep promoting my whistle carry to newbies.
>Scott

I think such a small device is worth the weight. My bootlaces weigh more
than most whistles.

Two people were drowned while wade fishing local flats this weekend. One
non-swimmer was caught in the current and the second man went to his rescue.
Every time I'm out fishing I see people standing near channels submerged to
their armpits.

I don't normally wade that deep in any water. But such events make me
reconsider the purchase of an inflatable belt or suspenders.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Ernie
September 23rd, 2003, 03:52 PM
"Hooked" > wrote in message
> "Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in message

> The real question should be, "How will one of those air horns work if one
> takes a spill and it gets soaked?" I'm sure those reads can't take a lot
of
> moisture.

I don't think that would be a problem. They are Coast Guard approved for
boat use. Kmart
has them for about $8.
Ernie

Herman Nijland
September 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM
Kevin Vang wrote:
> Scott Seidman wrote:
>

>> Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and
>> dollar for dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell
>> of a deal.
>

> And, as a free bonus, you can use it to call your dog.
>
> Kevin

Lassie! Go get help!

--
Herman, just adding