PDA

View Full Version : Re: putting the damn beads on

W. D. Grey
September 20th, 2003, 12:51 PM
In article >, pittendrigh
> writes
>Without a doubt the easiest way to use beads is not to
>put them on the hook.
>
>Make an unweighted nymph, sans bead instead.
>And then slide the bead onto the tippet before attaching
>the nymph. Catches just as many fish, and you get to custom-tailor
>the size of the bead to match the fishing conditions at hand.
>
>In this case, in my NSHO, simpler is (because of weight customization)
>more better.

So many beads just won't go round the bend of the hook that I've given
up so frequently!

Of course you could always use a tiny bit of lead wire. Beat the wire
flat and lay it either over or under the hook, tying it in under the
body material. It doesn't significantly increase the body girth and
definitely sinks the nymph.

HTH
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Clark Reid
September 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM
"W. D. Grey" wrote > > So many beads just won't go round the bend of the
hook that I've given
> up so frequently!
>
> Of course you could always use a tiny bit of lead wire. Beat the wire
> flat and lay it either over or under the hook, tying it in under the
> body material. It doesn't significantly increase the body girth and
> definitely sinks the nymph.

There are specific hook styles that suit specific beads. It's been years
since I had a bead "fitting" problem simply because trial and error will
lead you to which hook styles suit which beads...

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Dave B
September 26th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Here's a trick I recently learned from a fellow fly tyier...
With the bead lying flat on your bench, hold the hook by the eye or shank
with tweezers. Push the point of the hook against the edge of the hole in
the bead and the bead will jump on the hook.
Very simple and works like a charm.
DEB
"c.renn" > wrote in message
> I usually just pour a few beads into my palm and, using tweezers to hold
the
> small hooks, snag a bead, roll the hook to move the bead to the front, and
> drop it into a cup on the bench. Then on to the next hook, until I've got
> couple of dozen ready to tie. Some get off again, but not many. And,
I've