PDA

View Full Version : Re: A chance to bid on some hand tied flies

theflyguy
September 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM

http://www.catcherman.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002042.
> They were tied by a guy up in Maine, and they include a beaded, and
> non-beaded, bugger pattern as well as a leech pattern he came up with that
> has been working very well.

you do know your post is ironic... right?

Flyguy
September 24th, 2003, 03:10 PM
"theflyguy" > wrote in message
> "Catcherman" > wrote in message
> > If you would like to bid on a fly auction, one that ends this Friday
> night,
> > come check out

http://www.catcherman.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002042.
> > They were tied by a guy up in Maine, and they include a beaded, and
> > non-beaded, bugger pattern as well as a leech pattern he came up with
that
> > has been working very well.
>
> you do know your post is ironic... right?

I think you listen to too much Allanis

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 04:58 PM
"theflyguy" > wrote in news:eYfcb.13176$TM4.2120@pd7tw2no:

> you do know your post is ironic... right?

How is this ironic?

Scott

theflyguy
September 24th, 2003, 06:55 PM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "theflyguy" > wrote in news:eYfcb.13176$TM4.2120@pd7tw2no:
>
> > you do know your post is ironic... right?
> >

> How is this ironic?
>
> Scott

no im a Canadian and we seem to have a higher sense of Irony. This comes
from living next to the biggest super power in the world and having no
military of our own, claiming we have our own identidy but getting our
culture from the US (god i miss sctv and i think i just ticked off some of
my fellow Canadians)

Irs also ironic that someone says i listen to too much Alanis M. One of
my countries biggest pop stars.... espcially since the crtc governs that at
least 1 of her songs has to be played on a given day on any station (this
situation is getting better though)

Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the machine tied
ones) on a board that is dedicated to tying "hand made" flies. Maybe you
should put first world tied flies instead.... (just a suggestion) The irony
may be a little loose but it may not be the best place.

just a thought as i understand it
jeff h

Ernie
September 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the machine
tied
> ones)
> jeff h

I have never seen a machine tied fly, so saying hand tied is really
redundant.
Ernie

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
"Ernie" <NO_ > wrote in news:fjlcb.2828$F_
:

>> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
>> Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the machine
> tied
>> ones)
>> jeff h
>
> I have never seen a machine tied fly, so saying hand tied is really
> redundant.
> Ernie

Tautalogical, even

Scott

Scott Seidman
September 24th, 2003, 08:42 PM
"theflyguy" > wrote in news:AUkcb.3283$O85.3135@pd7tw1no:

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
>> "theflyguy" > wrote in
>>
>> > you do know your post is ironic... right?
>> >

>> How is this ironic?
>>
>> Scott
>

> no im a Canadian and we seem to have a higher sense of Irony. This
> comes from living next to the biggest super power in the world and
> having no military of our own, claiming we have our own identidy but
> getting our culture from the US (god i miss sctv and i think i just
> ticked off some of my fellow Canadians)
>
> Irs also ironic that someone says i listen to too much Alanis M.
> One of
> my countries biggest pop stars.... espcially since the crtc governs
> that at least 1 of her songs has to be played on a given day on any
> station (this situation is getting better though)
>
> Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the
> machine tied ones) on a board that is dedicated to tying "hand made"
> flies. Maybe you should put first world tied flies instead.... (just a
> suggestion) The irony may be a little loose but it may not be the
> best place.
>
> just a thought as i understand it
> jeff h

Let's delve slightly deeper.

Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
Date: 1502
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another
assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by
adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the
opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic
literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or
utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events
and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such
incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and
the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but
not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic
irony

Much of the time, when people say "ironic", what they actually mean is
"coincidental". This isn't your use here, in any case, but I still don't
see the irony (or the coincidence).

This original post is quite similar to, say, taking an ad out in the back
of Fly Tyer magazine selling hand-tied flies. I don't really see
anything ironic about that. Many people who tie flies also buy them.
Many more like to see other people's pictures of nicely tied flies, such
as those this link pointed out.

The irony I see here would be if you were to draw an analogy to the
"busman's holiday", in which a bus driver spends his vacation time riding
his own route while somebody else is driving. You don't expect to see
the bus driver as a passenger of his own route, especially if he is doing
so for recreational purposes, so that smacks of irony. I think that
application is a stretch here. Most of us on this board buy flies from
time to time, if for no other reason than to have a pattern to imitate.

Now, if I spent all of my money to buy these flies with the intention of
fishing them, leaving me with no money to buy a leader, so I can't use
the flies I bought, that would be ironic as hell.

Scott

Herman Nijland
September 24th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Ernie wrote:

>>"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
>>Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the machine
>
> tied
>
>>ones)
>>jeff h
>

> I have never seen a machine tied fly, so saying hand tied is really
> redundant.
> Ernie

Stretching my imagination, after having bought mouth-painted postcards
for all kinds of charities, I see foot-tied flies. Now that's something
I'd bid on!
Provided they washed their feet, of course.

--
Herman, who shouldn't post when intoxicated

Stan Gula
September 24th, 2003, 11:49 PM
"Herman Nijland" > wrote:
> Stretching my imagination, after having bought mouth-painted postcards
> for all kinds of charities, I see foot-tied flies. Now that's something
> I'd bid on!
> Provided they washed their feet, of course.
>
> --
> Herman, who shouldn't post when intoxicated

I dunno - the fish around here *like* cheese so maybe...

theflyguy
September 25th, 2003, 01:11 AM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "theflyguy" > wrote in news:AUkcb.3283$O85.3135@pd7tw1no:
>
> > "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> > . 1.4...
> >> "theflyguy" > wrote in

> >> How is this ironic?
> >>
> >> Scott
> >

> > no im a Canadian and we seem to have a higher sense of Irony. This
> > comes from living next to the biggest super power in the world and
> > having no military of our own, claiming we have our own identidy but
> > getting our culture from the US (god i miss sctv and i think i just
> > ticked off some of my fellow Canadians)
> >
> > Irs also ironic that someone says i listen to too much Alanis M.
> > One of
> > my countries biggest pop stars.... espcially since the crtc governs
> > that at least 1 of her songs has to be played on a given day on any
> > station (this situation is getting better though)
> >
> > Its ironic that your selling "hand made" flies (compared to the
> > machine tied ones) on a board that is dedicated to tying "hand made"
> > flies. Maybe you should put first world tied flies instead.... (just a
> > suggestion) The irony may be a little loose but it may not be the
> > best place.
> >
> > just a thought as i understand it
> > jeff h
> >

> Let's delve slightly deeper.
>
> Main Entry: iro·ny
> Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
> Function: noun
> Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
> Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
> Date: 1502
> 1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another
> assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by
> adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
> 2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the
> opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic
> literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or
> utterance
> 3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events
> and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such
> incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and
> the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but
> not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic
> irony
>

> Much of the time, when people say "ironic", what they actually mean is
> "coincidental". This isn't your use here, in any case, but I still don't
> see the irony (or the coincidence).

I concede.

> This original post is quite similar to, say, taking an ad out in the back
> of Fly Tyer magazine selling hand-tied flies. I don't really see
> anything ironic about that. Many people who tie flies also buy them.
> Many more like to see other people's pictures of nicely tied flies, such
> as those this link pointed out.

Also True. But... You don't see the ironly of someone posting a message to a
bulltetin board contrary to the very thing the bulletin board is about? It's
not ironic for you because you have the choice to buy them or not but it is
ironic for the person posting the sales pitch. If you buy them maybe then
that ironic. It's loose irony, not even funny irony... More of (s)ad
irony... (and that was a loose pun).. Here's a question though... by your
definition would it be ironic if nobody bought them? If not what if we
expand this and say he is depending on the money to put his child through a
fly tying course without which they couldn't afford to feed the 16 brothers
and sisters? or what if he was selling "hand tied" flies and before he could
tie them lost his hands in a terriable accident involving his fly tying vice
and some oversized scissors? Just wondering...

> The irony I see here would be if you were to draw an analogy to the
> "busman's holiday", in which a bus driver spends his vacation time riding
> his own route while somebody else is driving. You don't expect to see
> the bus driver as a passenger of his own route, especially if he is doing
> so for recreational purposes, so that smacks of irony. I think that
> application is a stretch here. Most of us on this board buy flies from
> time to time, if for no other reason than to have a pattern to imitate.

yep that's definately ironic. but it's behavioral ironacy.

> Now, if I spent all of my money to buy these flies with the intention of
> fishing them, leaving me with no money to buy a leader, so I can't use
> the flies I bought, that would be ironic as hell.

I think this is more loose irony because of the bad planning part. Full
blown Irony would be that you bought the flies with the last of your money,
had leader, walked a 100 miles out to the bush to catch fish because you
haven't eaten in a week. You gear up and on the first cast your rod tip
breaks... . that would ironic as hell.

Jeff H.

ps. I love irony...

Lat705
September 25th, 2003, 01:30 AM
ROFF needs a Semanticist.!

Ernie
September 25th, 2003, 02:56 AM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> ROFF needs a Semanticist.!

If that's anything like a smartass ROFF has enough.

Scott Seidman
September 25th, 2003, 01:40 PM
(Lat705) wrote in news:20030924203022.03086.00000169@mb-
m07.aol.com:

> ROFF needs a Semanticist.!

Maybe William Safire can be taught to tie flies

Scott

catcherman.com
September 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Agreed. I was corrected earlier in another forum as well. Sorry for my
ignorance, I was just trying to share in something I thought you all would
be interested in.

I realize the error of my ways now. ;)

riverman
October 23rd, 2003, 06:47 PM
"catcherman.com" > wrote in message
> Agreed. I was corrected earlier in another forum as well. Sorry for my
> ignorance, I was just trying to share in something I thought you all would
> be interested in.
>
> I realize the error of my ways now. ;)

NAHAY?

--riverman