PDA

View Full Version : Reprobaits (best streamer ever?)

pittendrigh
October 4th, 2003, 04:26 PM
I've written (well here, not in any magazines yet) about this
fly before. But I'm getting better at making them, and I've also been
fishing them more. Fundamentalist fly fishermen should probably
stop reading now, and find another thread.

http://montana-riverboats.com/static_pages/Flies/Sandy_Pittendrigh/Reprobait/Reprobait.html

I'm not a bit reluctant to claim Reprobaits to be in a class
by themselves: an order of magnitude more big-fish powerful than any
wet fly I've ever fished with. This fly is big medicine. Make no
mistake.

The Reprobait is soft, like a homemade Mr Twister Tail. It has
a twisty, undulating tail that induces a phenomenal number of strikes.

And once they bite this fly, they feel its soft squishy body and they
don't let go. Fish will swim with this fly held tighlty in
their mouths. They will also hit it multiple times. How many times
have you had that happen (multiple strikes) when fishing a Woolly
Bugger?

Commercially molded "soft lure bodies" are not suitable for fly
fishing.
Straight molded lures, like plastic worms, crayfish, Mr Twisters, etc,
are structurally too weak for the stress of fly casting. They
come apart and/or fly off the hook when you try to double haul them
out to 60 or 70 away.

Reprobaits, however, can be cast all day long. And they put you
into a size class of fish, with a regularity I won't try to
quantify. You wouldn't believe me if I tried to.

PS)
Anybody remember the Vivif? The Vivif was a heavy, soft latex plastic
lure made in France that was marketed briefly in the USA in
the early 1960's. It was one of my spin fishing mainstays,
when fished for New Jersey bass, as a youngster.
This flyrod lure is a lot like a Vivif. For those who like to
spin fish (I don't) you could make Reprobaits a little heavier,
so they could be cast with a spinning rod.
Then you'd have a homemade Vivif: one of the best bass lures ever
made.