PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Western Conclave

Warren
October 16th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch. There
are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
nice cabin or hook an RV up at.

I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the Slide
Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and gives
damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics of
the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.

Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to during
the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

daytripper
October 16th, 2003, 06:27 AM
And you almost landed it in the right group, too ;-)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:09:47 -0600, Warren > wrote:

>Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
>affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
>ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
>throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
>scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch. There
>are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
>four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
>nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
>
>I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
>can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the Slide
>Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and gives
>damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
>nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
>together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics of
>the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.
>
>Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
>drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
>pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to during
>the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
>one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.

bones
October 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM
The one of the camp ground is called Beaver Creek the other is Cabin
Creek. Beaver Creek is very nice, a few grizz and a moose or two

The new owner of the Slide Inn is Kelly Gallop and yes, he knows his
stuff

http://www.slideinn.com/index.htm

I have been staying there for he last 20 plus years.......

Harry

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:09:47 -0600, Warren > wrote:

>Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
>affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
>ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
>throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
>scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch. There
>are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
>four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
>nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
>
>I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
>can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the Slide
>Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and gives
>damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
>nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
>together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics of
>the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.
>
>Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
>drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
>pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to during
>the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
>one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.

Charlie Choc
October 16th, 2003, 02:01 PM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:27:01 GMT, daytripper
> wrote:

>And you almost landed it in the right group, too ;-)

Well, you could have cross posted your top posted reply to the right
group. <g>

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:09:47 -0600, Warren > wrote:
>
>>Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
>>affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
>>ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
>>throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
>>scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch. There
>>are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
>>four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
>>nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
>>
>>I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
>>can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the Slide
>>Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and gives
>>damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
>>nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
>>together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics of
>>the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.
>>
>>Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
>>drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
>>pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to during
>>the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
>>one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.

--
Charlie...

daytripper
October 16th, 2003, 11:09 PM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:01:57 -0400, Charlie Choc
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:27:01 GMT, daytripper
> wrote:
>
>>And you almost landed it in the right group, too ;-)
>
>Well, you could have cross posted your top posted reply to the right
>group. <g>

Sorry, I didn't sense a moral imperative wrt that...

/daytripper (still don't ;-)

Charlie Choc
October 16th, 2003, 11:26 PM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:09:22 GMT, daytripper
> wrote:

>Sorry, I didn't sense a moral imperative wrt that...
>
>/daytripper (still don't ;-)

A moral imperative on Usenet? I don't guess I've ever sensed one of
those either - is it anything like steaming 40 ambience? <g>
--
Charlie...

Warren
October 17th, 2003, 02:14 PM
wrote...
> The one of the camp ground is called Beaver Creek the other is Cabin
> Creek. Beaver Creek is very nice, a few grizz and a moose or two
>
> The new owner of the Slide Inn is Kelly Gallop and yes, he knows his
> stuff

First of all, sorry for the fubar. I somehow got this posted to ROFFT instead
of ROFF......... BUT, you all are invited too even if you are the *******
children of ROFF. <BSEG>

Well, I woudn't call him "new", but yes, Kelly is the "new" owner. Very cool
guy.

> http://www.slideinn.com/index.htm
>
> I have been staying there for he last 20 plus years.......

So you going to show up? ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Dave Martel
October 17th, 2003, 08:31 PM
I'll be flying in on the 8th and staying until the 8th of August--flying
into Bozeman and spending the week of the Western Clave on the Madison near
Three Dollar Bridge at Hart's. Is that anywhere near you guys? I'd love to
meet up and fish with you all for a few days.

Dave Martel
"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:27:01 GMT, daytripper
> > wrote:
>
> >And you almost landed it in the right group, too ;-)
>
> Well, you could have cross posted your top posted reply to the right
> group. <g>
> >
> >On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:09:47 -0600, Warren > wrote:
> >
> >>Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through
Saturday
> >>affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will
mark
> >>ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I
am
> >>throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad,
the
> >>scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch.
There
> >>are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place
about
> >>four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to
rent a
> >>nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
> >>
> >>I'll add more info later after doing some more research on
accommodations. I
> >>can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but
the Slide
> >>Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman
and gives
> >>damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins
look
> >>nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to
rent
> >>together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some
pics of
> >>the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.
> >>
> >>Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20
minute
> >>drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc.
It's
> >>pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to
during
> >>the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at
least
> >>one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or
so.

> --
> Charlie...

JohnR
October 17th, 2003, 10:51 PM
We may be the ******* children but we know how to play nicer!

I visited the Slide Inn in early September. They have a nice fly shop and
Kelly Gallop knows his stuff about fishing for big trout.

-John

"Warren" > wrote in message
> wrote...
> > The one of the camp ground is called Beaver Creek the other is Cabin
> > Creek. Beaver Creek is very nice, a few grizz and a moose or two
> >
> > The new owner of the Slide Inn is Kelly Gallop and yes, he knows his
> > stuff
>
> First of all, sorry for the fubar. I somehow got this posted to ROFFT
instead
> of ROFF......... BUT, you all are invited too even if you are the *******
> children of ROFF. <BSEG>
>
> Well, I woudn't call him "new", but yes, Kelly is the "new" owner. Very
cool
> guy.
>
> > http://www.slideinn.com/index.htm
> >
> > I have been staying there for he last 20 plus years.......
>
> So you going to show up? ;-)
> --
> Warren
> (use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Jeff Miller
October 18th, 2003, 01:05 AM
well...somehow, this announcement of western 2004 failed to appear on my
computer until tonight...and then not until after i'd posted a sarcastic
note to you somewhere above. of course, i've just read a bit about the
box-cutter incidents on southwestern airlines, and i just finished a
trial involving a demented airline pilot...but, a year might allow me to
gather the courage to mount an airplane west again. lookin forward to
it... so, count me in. be sure to scout a few decent bars as well.
don't worry about the bowling alley, though.

jeff

Charlie Choc wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:27:01 GMT, daytripper
> > wrote:
>

>>And you almost landed it in the right group, too ;-)
>

> Well, you could have cross posted your top posted reply to the right
> group. <g>
>
>>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:09:47 -0600, Warren > wrote:
>>

>>>Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through Saturday
>>>affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will mark
>>>ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
>>>throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
>>>scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch. There
>>>are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place about
>>>four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to rent a
>>>nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
>>>
>>>I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations. I
>>>can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the Slide
>>>Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and gives
>>>damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn. The cabins look
>>>nicer and they have a large cabin that would be great for 3-5 guys to rent
>>>together. I'll try to get up there in the next week or so to take some pics of
>>>the rooms at both places, the campground, the area, etc.
>>>
>>>Areas to be fished range from what will be open in the Park (about a 20 minute
>>>drive) to the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Henry's Fork, Hegben Lake, etc. It's
>>>pretty damn close to that nice brookie spot I took some of the people to during
>>>the HF clave where we caught some big brookies. I know we will have at least
>>>one boat for float trips. As I said, I'll post more in the next week or so.

bones
October 18th, 2003, 03:53 AM
I do believe I will be there.....we are usually at the Slide by the
15th of July.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:14:12 -0600, Warren > wrote:

wrote...
>> The one of the camp ground is called Beaver Creek the other is Cabin
>> Creek. Beaver Creek is very nice, a few grizz and a moose or two
>>
>> The new owner of the Slide Inn is Kelly Gallop and yes, he knows his
>> stuff
>
>First of all, sorry for the fubar. I somehow got this posted to ROFFT instead
>of ROFF......... BUT, you all are invited too even if you are the *******
>children of ROFF. <BSEG>
>
>Well, I woudn't call him "new", but yes, Kelly is the "new" owner. Very cool
>guy.
>
>> http://www.slideinn.com/index.htm
>>
>> I have been staying there for he last 20 plus years.......
>
>So you going to show up? ;-)

Charlie Choc
October 18th, 2003, 12:31 PM
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:53:58 GMT, bones >
wrote:

>I do believe I will be there.....we are usually at the Slide by the
>15th of July.

That will be cool, Harry. Look forward to meeting you.
--
Charlie...

riverman
October 18th, 2003, 08:40 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> .... of course, i've just read a bit about the
> box-cutter incidents on southwestern airlines, and i just finished a
> trial involving a demented airline pilot...but, a year might allow me to
> gather the courage to mount an airplane west again. ....

Sheeeee-it. I'M not gonna be able to get to sleep tonight!

--riverman
(I wonder how hard it is to <swim> the atlantic next time I go home...?)

jeffc
October 18th, 2003, 09:45 PM
"Warren" > wrote in message
> Okay guys, mark your calendars because July 10-17 (a Saturday through
Saturday
> affair with the Friday before and the Sunday after being optional) will
mark
> ROFF's return to the Madison for the 4th Western Conclave. The area I am
> throwing this in is the Upper Madison since the crowds aren't as bad, the
> scenery is better and it will keep everyone together in a small stretch.
There
> are two FS campground right across the road from a cabin rental place
about
> four miles upstream from the Slide Inn, which would be a good place to
rent a
> nice cabin or hook an RV up at.
>
> I'll add more info later after doing some more research on accommodations.
> can't remember the name of the place across from the campgrounds, but the
Slide
> Inn is a nicer spot IMO. The guy who owns it is a kick ass fisherman and
gives
> damn good advice out of his fly shop there at the Slide Inn.

I don't get it. We're having fly TYING claves now? Isn't Kelly the guy
who's written a couple books? Should be a good clave. I'd like to fish in
July rather than August this time around. I'm still trying to get into some
of the good hatches that I read about. But the Madison will also be a good
nymphing river too.

Warren
October 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
wrote...
> I do believe I will be there.....we are usually at the Slide by the
> 15th of July.

Awesome! Look forward to meeting you out there.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Warren
October 20th, 2003, 09:06 PM
wrote...
> We may be the ******* children but we know how to play nicer!

I don't think that has ever been in dispute. ;-)

> I visited the Slide Inn in early September. They have a nice fly shop and
> Kelly Gallop knows his stuff about fishing for big trout.

I really like it up there. Talking with Kelly is an added bonus.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Clark Reid
October 21st, 2003, 06:19 AM
No promises, but if I have as good a guiding season as I think I will given
my tentative bookings... I may well be there myself.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Warren
October 23rd, 2003, 01:22 AM
wrote...
> No promises, but if I have as good a guiding season as I think I will given
> my tentative bookings... I may well be there myself.

YES!