PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a feather

Peter Charles
October 20th, 2003, 12:59 PM
I bought a pack of, what appeared to be cock saddle strung hackle last
year then tossed it in the drawer. No label on the package. I
dredged it out a while back and found it tied the post perfect spey
hackle. Every feather in the pack is usable (rare). It's a natural
olive, not dyed, the web is light and sparse, the barbs beyond the web
have a copper sheen, the quill is very fine and easily wound, and the
barbs are very long (1 1/2" are the longest).

I need to get some more before this pack runs out.

Any idea what it is?

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Tom Littleton
October 20th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Peter,
This is a tough one to answer without seeing the feather, as one man's
description is not what another would picture. Nonetheless, a couple questions:
1.Are you sure it was not cock saddle?
2.How are you determining that it is not
dyed...coloration of web,other method?
3.Could you have a pack of spade hackle?
4.Could you mail a sample to someone in
say, Pennsylvania, for him to look at,
or post a photo to APBF?
Tom

Peter Charles
October 21st, 2003, 01:24 AM
On 20 Oct 2003 22:59:57 GMT, (Tom Littleton) wrote:

>Peter,
> This is a tough one to answer without seeing the feather, as one man's
>description is not what another would picture. Nonetheless, a couple questions:
>1.Are you sure it was not cock saddle?
>2.How are you determining that it is not
> dyed...coloration of web,other method?
>3.Could you have a pack of spade hackle?
>4.Could you mail a sample to someone in
> say, Pennsylvania, for him to look at,
> or post a photo to APBF?
> Tom

Point 4 - ta - email on the way.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Hooked
October 21st, 2003, 06:52 AM
When we find out what type of hackle this is, can someone please post an
answer here so the rest of us can check out these fine spey fly hackles?

"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On 20 Oct 2003 22:59:57 GMT, (Tom Littleton) wrote:
>
> >Peter,
> > This is a tough one to answer without seeing the feather, as one man's
> >description is not what another would picture. Nonetheless, a couple
questions:
> >1.Are you sure it was not cock saddle?
> >2.How are you determining that it is not
> > dyed...coloration of web,other method?
> >3.Could you have a pack of spade hackle?
> >4.Could you mail a sample to someone in
> > say, Pennsylvania, for him to look at,
> > or post a photo to APBF?
> > Tom
>
> Point 4 - ta - email on the way.
>
> Peter
>
> turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
>
> Visit The Streamer Page at
http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Tom Littleton
October 21st, 2003, 10:37 AM
Hooked asks:
>When we find out what type of hackle this is, can someone please post an
>answer here so the rest of us can check out these fine spey fly hackles?

will do my best, both at identification ( with the help of a friend in
Newville,PA, who is the ultimate feather authority), and posting the findings.
Tom

Hooked
October 22nd, 2003, 06:18 AM
How about a pic posted at A.B.P.F. ?

"Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> Hooked asks:
> >When we find out what type of hackle this is, can someone please post an
> >answer here so the rest of us can check out these fine spey fly hackles?
>
> will do my best, both at identification ( with the help of a friend in
> Newville,PA, who is the ultimate feather authority), and posting the
findings.
> Tom

Peter Charles
October 22nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
"Hooked" > wrote in message >...
> How about a pic posted at A.B.P.F. ?
>

> "Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> > Hooked asks:
> > >When we find out what type of hackle this is, can someone please post an
> > >answer here so the rest of us can check out these fine spey fly hackles?
> >
> > will do my best, both at identification ( with the help of a friend in
> > Newville,PA, who is the ultimate feather authority), and posting the
> findings.
> > Tom

I don't think a picture would help much. Tom, the feather is on it's
way. I've done a bit of checking around and it appears to be a
standard olive dyed cock saddle hackle that just happens to have very
long barbs. The dye process leaves the natural coppery irridescence
visible and this fooled me into thinking it wasn't dyed. I've since
seen identical looking hackles in the stores but not with the same
length -- seems like I just got lucky with that one pack.

Tom Littleton
October 22nd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Peter states:
> it appears to be a
>standard olive dyed cock saddle hackle that just happens to have very
>long barbs

I was suspicious that might be the case.

>I've since
>seen identical looking hackles in the stores but not with the same
>length -- seems like I just got lucky with that one pack.

Maybe, but when I see the feather may be able to steer you to consistent luck.
I have seen import saddles(Chinese, as I remember) that seemed to fit your
description. Some places stock such saddles in bulk; buy white and dye your own
to suit!
Tom