PDA

View Full Version : phesant tail caddis dry?

no
October 26th, 2003, 02:24 AM
I have tied a couple of pheasant tail nymphs, and it seems to me that a
pheasant tail caddis would better look like a dry fly grey caddis than a
caddis with grey dubbing? Anyone ever try this?

Also, per a posters comment I tried a caddis with just brown dubbing and
cdc as the wing. It looked like a caddis but the cdc would not float
it? I bought a cdc caddis from the half dollar fly store and it did not
seem to have hackle, but it looked like it had something else tied in
with the cdc. Anyone know what it is? Maybe a yarn?

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 27th, 2003, 07:44 PM
no wrote:

> I have tied a couple of pheasant tail nymphs, and it seems to me that a
> pheasant tail caddis would better look like a dry fly grey caddis than a
> caddis with grey dubbing? Anyone ever try this?
>
> Also, per a posters comment I tried a caddis with just brown dubbing and
> cdc as the wing. It looked like a caddis but the cdc would not float
> it? I bought a cdc caddis from the half dollar fly store and it did not
> seem to have hackle, but it looked like it had something else tied in
> with the cdc. Anyone know what it is? Maybe a yarn?

What size did you tie these in ?

For 20 an smaller I can get away with a thread body, CDC wing and some
peacock herl on the
shank in front of the wing. On 16-18s I wind a few truns of grizzly hackle
over the peacock.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

flyline
October 28th, 2003, 03:19 AM
All sound like variations on the Rio Grande -
http://www.reel-creel.com/Design/FTRGHW.htm

--
flyline

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

"Svend Tang-Petersen" > wrote in message
> no wrote:
>
> > I have tied a couple of pheasant tail nymphs, and it seems to me that a
> > pheasant tail caddis would better look like a dry fly grey caddis than a
> > caddis with grey dubbing? Anyone ever try this?
> >
> > Also, per a posters comment I tried a caddis with just brown dubbing and
> > cdc as the wing. It looked like a caddis but the cdc would not float
> > it? I bought a cdc caddis from the half dollar fly store and it did not
> > seem to have hackle, but it looked like it had something else tied in
> > with the cdc. Anyone know what it is? Maybe a yarn?
>
> What size did you tie these in ?
>
> For 20 an smaller I can get away with a thread body, CDC wing and some
> peacock herl on the
> shank in front of the wing. On 16-18s I wind a few truns of grizzly hackle
> over the peacock.
>
> --
>
> Svend
>
> ************************************************** *****************
> Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
> SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
> 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
> Mountain View
> California 94043
> USA
> ************************************************** *****************

Dave LaCourse
October 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM
no writes:

>I have tied a couple of pheasant tail nymphs, and it seems to me that a
>pheasant tail caddis would better look like a dry fly grey caddis than a
>caddis with grey dubbing? Anyone ever try this?

Tie a normal PT (without weight), but start off by tying in a post for a
parachute hackle at the thorax. Finish the PT with a normal tie, and then tie
in a ginger or brown hackle parachute style.

This fly was first observed by me at an Orvis store. I bought a few in size 16
and 18 and tried them on a river in Maine. The trout and salmon loved 'em! I
later experimented with a GRHE, both dark and light, and they too worked. Easy
ties, btw, and you can spot the fly in fairly swift/rough water.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html