PDA

View Full Version : Oval Tinsel

Hooked
October 26th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
"Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
the French/Embossed Tinsel.

Jamie Caddick
October 26th, 2003, 02:18 PM
French Oval Tinsel is not the same as Embossed Tinsel. Embossed Tinsel is a
flat tinsel with for lack of a better word "dimples" all over it and oval
tinsel is well...oval *G*

Any of the regular fly shops should have the French Oval Tinsel but the two
best kinds are Uni or Lagurtan. Try Hunters Angling Supplies or WW Doak,
they have tons of it.

Jamie
"Hooked" > wrote in message
> Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
> oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
> "Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
> the French/Embossed Tinsel.

Peter Aksberg
October 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Try googling for "Lagartun".

/Peter

Larry
October 27th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Oval tinsel is fine, flat tinsel wrapped around a core of fabric or
yarn-type material.

Hooked wrote:
> Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
> oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
> "Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
> the French/Embossed Tinsel.

Scott Seidman
October 27th, 2003, 03:14 PM
"Hooked" > wrote in
:

> Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some
> type of oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise
> known as "Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can
> ever find is the French/Embossed Tinsel.

French Tinsel is not necessarily embossed. The difference between the good
French stuff and the crap is the the Good Stuff is lacquer-coated so it
won't tarnish. Particularly important for silver tinsel. FWIW, I've been
having troubles buying good silver tinsel lately. All the local shops seem
to have the Xfine stuff, and the medium oval, but not much else

Scott

Hooked
October 28th, 2003, 06:55 AM
None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question, so let
me rephrase it.

Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth and
shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's oval
(round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have that's
labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

Scott Seidman
October 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM
"Hooked" > wrote in
:

> None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question,
> so let me rephrase it.
>
> Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth
> and shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's
> oval (round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have
> that's labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

No. Oval Tinsel is a wrapped product.

Scott

Norman Greenwood
October 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Hooked > wrote in message
> None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question,
so let
> me rephrase it.
>
> Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth
and
> shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's
oval
> (round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have that's
> labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

Yes wire, a single strand of picture hanging wire cable will do, but it
is round and not
egg shaped oval

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Sierra fisher
October 29th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Oval tinsil is primarily used for ribbing. On some steelhead flies, you
wrap the hook in flat tinsil, then rib it with oval. If you are going to
use it as a rib, and want a silver or gold color, there is not much that
you can substitute. Bill Kienes fly shop in Sacramento has a good selection
of colors and sizes.
"Hooked" > wrote in message
> Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
> oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
> "Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
> the French/Embossed Tinsel.

---