PDA

View Full Version : Caddis emerger for lakes

Stephen Welsh
November 3rd, 2003, 09:50 PM
Hi All,

Heading off to Taswegia again over summer ... last year experienced
some good stick caddis emergences on one lake had some good success
with CDC and Elk in a 14 fished actively - twitched, dragged under to
resurface etc. This year I'd like to be somewhat prepared (I
expected to use the CDC and Elk in Dun hatches :) and take some
wetter emergers with me ... any style suggestions for lakes?

I'm thinking LaFontaines Deep Pupa tied to fish shallow and the
Emergent Pupa. Caddis in lakes are a bit of a novelty to me.

Steve

Peter Charles
November 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
On 3 Nov 2003 21:50:33 GMT, Stephen Welsh
> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Heading off to Taswegia again over summer ... last year experienced
>some good stick caddis emergences on one lake had some good success
>with CDC and Elk in a 14 fished actively - twitched, dragged under to
>resurface etc. This year I'd like to be somewhat prepared (I
>expected to use the CDC and Elk in Dun hatches :) and take some
>wetter emergers with me ... any style suggestions for lakes?
>
>I'm thinking LaFontaines Deep Pupa tied to fish shallow and the
>Emergent Pupa. Caddis in lakes are a bit of a novelty to me.
>

>Steve

Most of the stuff in the books I have concern caddis in moving water.
You might check out Brian Chan's book on stillwater trout fishing --
don't know how applicable it'll be to Tas though. Otherwise, try some
generic caddis patterns. Especially look at some EHC and practice
skittering at dusk. I've watched adults run to shore and I'm amazed
at the distance they'll cover and the speed they'll generate.

http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/lwrrdc/public/Aquatics/astrich/html/about.htm

both Limnephilidae and Leptoceridae are known to have stillwater
species in Oz so they might be worth a crack.

I used to do a lot of stillwater fishing years ago and I often had
success with panfish and small bass on a slowly stripped P&O.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Stephen Welsh
November 7th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Peter Charles > wrote in
:

> Most of the stuff in the books I have concern caddis in moving
> water. You might check out Brian Chan's book on stillwater trout
> fishing -- don't know how applicable it'll be to Tas though.
> Otherwise, try some generic caddis patterns. Especially look at
> some EHC and practice skittering at dusk. I've watched adults
> run to shore and I'm amazed at the distance they'll cover and
> the speed they'll generate.

Thinking about the scene a little more and talking to a mate
about it last night ... it turns out they well may be moving water
species. The hatches occurred in one bay ... with an inflowing
brook. Guess where the prevailing breeze was from! I'm almost
convinced that stream hatching pupa and adults were being washed
and blown into the bay - was definatley localised. Add to that the
rise and fall of the lake over a hydro season eggs could be layed
in flowing water and pupate in near still!

The lake dwelling stick pupa here apparently crawl out to
complete their cycle so it is unlikely that pupa of those were
being taken near the top in open still(ish) water.

> http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/lwrrdc/public/Aquatics/astrich/h
> tml/about.htm

Sensational site Peter, thanks!

Steve (how come I'm always the last to know .... )

Generics will have to suffice

Peter Charles
November 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
On 7 Nov 2003 00:55:57 GMT, Stephen Welsh
> wrote:

> Thinking about the scene a little more and talking to a mate
>about it last night ... it turns out they well may be moving water
>species. The hatches occurred in one bay ... with an inflowing
>brook. Guess where the prevailing breeze was from! I'm almost
>convinced that stream hatching pupa and adults were being washed
>and blown into the bay - was definatley localised. Add to that the
>rise and fall of the lake over a hydro season eggs could be layed
>in flowing water and pupate in near still!

Judging by what you describe, you're benefiting from some biological
drift into the lake. You would think fish should stack up there.

> The lake dwelling stick pupa here apparently crawl out to
>complete their cycle so it is unlikely that pupa of those were
>being taken near the top in open still(ish) water.

Leptoceridae? They'll swim in their cases so they can be imitated
with a moving case pattern. According to that site, there are some 14
genera and 80 species in Oz

>> http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/lwrrdc/public/Aquatics/astrich/h
>> tml/about.htm
>
>Sensational site Peter, thanks!
>
>Steve (how come I'm always the last to know .... )
>
>Generics will have to suffice

good luck with them

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

W. D. Grey
November 10th, 2003, 10:09 PM
In article >, Peter Charles
> writes
>Most of the stuff in the books I have concern caddis in moving water.
>You might check out Brian Chan's book on stillwater trout fishing --
>don't know how applicable it'll be to Tas though. Otherwise, try some
>generic caddis patterns. Especially look at some EHC and practice
>skittering at dusk. I've watched adults run to shore and I'm amazed
>at the distance they'll cover and the speed they'll generate.

Hi Peter,

Once, when fishing on a small put and take stillwater in the UK where
there was a catch limit of four fish, I decided to have some fun and
fished a deer-hair sedge pattern which had the hook cut off )not just
barbless - hookless). The reason for this was I didn't want to catch
anything at the time as this would have meant killing the catch and
after four fish I would have to leave.

The strategy was to cast far and strip the floating fly back as fast as
possible creating a big wake. The follows I got were phenomenal and the
bow waves set up were indeed remarkable, Those fish were really moving.

Fished normally, a deer hair or elk hair sedge tweaked on the surface
can attract fish from the deep with excellent catch rates.

Regards,
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk