PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Bluegill Patterns

Mike S.
November 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
With the onset of winter weather, and the rod will finding its spot on the
rack, more time will be devoted to tying. Does anyone have suggestions on
what they use for bluegills? Thanks in advance.
Mike

Tim J.
November 11th, 2003, 06:49 PM
"Mike S." > wrote in message
> With the onset of winter weather, and the rod will finding its spot on the
> rack, more time will be devoted to tying. Does anyone have suggestions on
> what they use for bluegills? Thanks in advance.

I only use rofft approved flies. <G>

http://gula.org/roffswaps/swap.php?page=BG2003&id=11

--
HTH,
Tim

Mike S.
November 11th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the link alot of good new patterns!
Mike

Mark W. Oots
November 12th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Mike,

Besides Tim's link, I use a lot of ants (brown, black, red), various nymphs
(hares ear, pheasant tail, small stone flys...), and when the water warms
up, small poppers. Panfish are pretty much suicidal, so they'll hit anything
they can get in their mouth, just keep it small. I had decent luck on
gurglers of various patterns this year, with the best being black foam over
yellow or gold floss body, black or grissly hackle, palmered under the foam
with a few strands of black maribou for the tail, sometimes with a little
yellow or chartruese crystal flash added. Basically, tie a gaudy wooly
bugger and tie the foam over the top (tie it in over the tail, but before
building the body/hackle). I tie these on size 10 and 12 dry fly hooks, but
you can actually use any light wire hook and save the "fly" hooks for other
stuff.

Mark

---