PDA

View Full Version : Re: Really sticky wax???

Larry
November 20th, 2003, 06:01 AM
> Does anyone know how to duplicate Ovington's Wonder Wax, of which I've
> heard so much praise? What's the tackiest wax sold today? How about
> Al Beatty's wax?

Al's wax is sufficiently tacky to touch dub with. It's also easy to get
off your hands, unlike some others out there that are high tack "waxes",
like Loon (which isn't actually a wax)

Larry

Larry and a cat named Dub
November 20th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Just a thought Has anyone ever tried fly paper and dubbed with it? that is
some sticky stuff

JohnR
November 20th, 2003, 02:34 PM
I saw Sister Carol Anne - the fly tying nun - use just that at the FFF
International Conclave in Gatlinburg, TN a few years ago. She used it for
touch dubbing and it worked really well. I haven't thought of using it in a
long time. Thanks for making the old brain do something for once.

-John

"Larry and a cat named Dub" > wrote in message
> Just a thought Has anyone ever tried fly paper and dubbed with it? that is
> some sticky stuff

November 20th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Try ski wax for wet snow. It is easily available in cooler climes. One
stick will last for a couple of lifetimes.

Dave

Mike Connor
November 21st, 2003, 01:45 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message >...
> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> om...
> > For touch dubbing, use paper glue. The semi-solid stuff sold in the
> > "lipstick" type tubes. I use "Pritt", but I have tried quite a few,
> > amd they all work better than wax.
> >

> Hey hey hey. How are ya, Mike? Been here long? :-)
>

> --riverman
> (and for the record, I use glue sticks, too.)

Oh, I have been here for quite a while, but it makes no odds.

Ski wax, the stuff for wet snow, (red , nearly liquid, amd
stinks),works, but it is a terrible clart about. The paper glue is
really good. It only works well with very fine dubbimg of course. (
Stuff like mole. hare, rabbit, muskrat underfur). If you have really
spikey hair, then you need to use the split thread technique. This
requires some practice. But then, fly-dressing generally is a
question of material knowledge, and practice.

TL
MC

Tom Littleton
November 21st, 2003, 02:41 AM
Mike writes:
>If you have really
>spikey hair, then you need to use the split thread technique.

on larger flies, a dubbing loop will work as well. The split thread technique
is vastly the best option, though, for smaller(say,
size 18 down) sizes with spikey hair. Such small flies can be quite
effective,BTW.

Tom L.

Wolfgang
November 21st, 2003, 02:46 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message
om...

> ...If you have really spikey hair....

See, right away, somebody just HAS to get personal! :(

Wolfgang

vincent p. norris
November 23rd, 2003, 04:14 AM
Thanks to all for a lot of useful info.

vince

Joe
November 24th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I really have no idea about the wax you are talking about, but I am in
the dental field and know that orthodontic wax is very sticky and I
would be surprised if it would not work for you. You can pick it up at
any drugstore.
hope this helps if you dont find any other solution.
Joe

zazzer
March 17th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Does anyone know how to duplicate Ovington's Wonder Wax, of which I've
heard so much praise? What's the tackiest wax sold today? How about
Al Beatty's wax?

Al's wax is sufficiently tacky to touch dub with. It's also easy to get
off your hands, unlike some others out there that are high tack "waxes",
like Loon (which isn't actually a wax)

Larry
Hello just had to spread the good news I got from a reliable source. Ovingtons wonder wax is going to be coming back. That all I know. Ovington is going to remanufacture it.