PDA

View Full Version : Split Thread Technique

tyer
November 21st, 2003, 06:57 AM
I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out anything on
the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique? Thanks

737driver

Tom Littleton
November 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM
tyer asks:
>I cannot find out anything on
>the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
>explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique?

in a nutshell, it consists of splitting multistrand tying thread as it comes
off the bobbin, inserting dubbing material and spinning into a dubbing loop. If
you can locate a copy of the Fly Tyers Bench Reference, there will be
illustrated directions. I also recall reading a great description of the
technique elsewhere, but cannot recall which book I read it in....maybe
"Micropatterns"??
Tom L

Frank Church
November 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM
"tyer" > wrote in
ink.net:

> I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out anything on
> the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
> explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique? Thanks
>
> 737driver

Hi 737 driver...set your RNAV to go direct to:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ and type in "split thread technique" I
got over 4,000 hits, most of them probably *not* dealing with that
particular technique. Or jump into their chat room and the odds are very
good you will have your answer in short order.

Frank Church
USAF Retired

Ernie
November 21st, 2003, 07:10 PM
737 driver,
Something just as good and easier is to double the thread, put the dubbing
between the threads, twist them and wrap it on the hook. When you twist the
threads make certain to twist in the right direction or when you wrap it the
thread will untwist. You will get the idea when you do it.
Ernie

"tyer" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out anything on
> the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
> explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique? Thanks
>
> 737driver

Mike Connor
November 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM
"tyer" > wrote in message et>...
> I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out anything on
> the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
> explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique? Thanks
>
> 737driver

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/dubbing2-e.htm

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/dubbing/making_your_own.htm

http://www.sexyloops.com/connorsmetre/saltfly1.shtml

The technique is easy, but you must use the right thread. Some are
given at the URLīs above.

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM
"Ernie" > wrote in message
m...
> 737 driver,
> Something just as good and easier is to double the thread, put the dubbing
> between the threads, twist them and wrap it on the hook.

I've tried the split thread method, just to see how it works. I find the
dubbing loop much easier. I can see that the split thread method might be
better for some applications due to the marginally lesser bulk of a single
strand as opposed to two for the loop, but have never found such an
application myself.

> When you twist the
> threads make certain to twist in the right direction or when you wrap it
the
> thread will untwist.

I can see the sense in that, too, but have never had that problem. When
using a dubbing loop, I put a LOT of twist in it. The loop is never so long
that untwisting becomes a problem with the few wraps I make. I suppose that
if you wanted to orient all the guard hairs in the same direction.....say
streaming toward the rear of the fly....it might be easier with a lightly
twisted loop (or split single strand). Do you ever do this, or is there
some other reason ?

> You will get the idea when you do it.

Unqualified agreement on that point. :)

Wolfgang

Ernie
November 22nd, 2003, 12:29 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

Ernie wrote:
> > When you twist the threads make certain to twist in the right direction
or when you wrap > > it the thread will untwist.

>Wolfie wrote;
> I can see the sense in that, too, but have never had that problem. When
> using a dubbing loop, I put a LOT of twist in it. The loop is never so
long
> that untwisting becomes a problem with the few wraps I make. I suppose
that
> if you wanted to orient all the guard hairs in the same direction.....say
> streaming toward the rear of the fly....it might be easier with a lightly
> twisted loop (or split single strand). Do you ever do this, or is there
> some other reason ?

Wolfie,
The only reason is I don't have to twist the thread very much. It twists
more as you wrap it.
Never worried much about which way the guard hairs lay.
Ernie

c.renn
November 22nd, 2003, 02:19 AM
I guess I'm just in a disagreeable mood tonight. But, I disagree.

The split thread technique is as easy or easier than the loop technique in
that with the split thread, once you've split the thread with your bodkin
and slipped your rectangle of dubbing into the breach, you simply spool out
some thread and wind it back in to twist the dubbing. No tools, no limit in
length to the bench top, not spaz-capades as you try to get your fingers to
work the dubbing twister. I prefer it.

The limitation is with production tying. You only get to spool out and
spool back so many times before the thrill is gone. If you're tying 12
dozen flies in a sitting, it won't work.

Charley

"Ernie" > wrote in message
m...
> 737 driver,
> Something just as good and easier is to double the thread, put the dubbing
> between the threads, twist them and wrap it on the hook. When you twist
the
> threads make certain to twist in the right direction or when you wrap it
the
> thread will untwist. You will get the idea when you do it.
> Ernie

Ernie
November 22nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
"c.renn" wrote
> I guess I'm just in a disagreeable mood tonight. But, I disagree.
> The split thread technique is as easy or easier than the loop technique in
> that with the split thread, once you've split the thread with your bodkin
> and slipped your rectangle of dubbing into the breach, you simply spool
out
> some thread and wind it back in to twist the dubbing. No tools, no limit
in
> length to the bench top, not spaz-capades as you try to get your fingers
> work the dubbing twister. I prefer it.
> The limitation is with production tying. You only get to spool out and
> spool back so many times before the thrill is gone. If you're tying 12
> dozen flies in a sitting, it won't work.
> Charley

To each his own Charlie.
I never got very proficient at the split thread method and often broke the
thread. I made a little twister tool by bending a hook in the end an old
bodkin. I would just grab it with my left hand and hold a loop in the
thread while wrapping the thread back around the hook. I let the bobbin
hang , inserted the dubbing with my right hand, gave the twister tool a
twist and wrapped the dubbing around the hook and tied it off with the
thread on the bobbin.
Ernie

Norman Greenwood
November 22nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
If you are a right handed tier, going clockwise round the hook from the
eye end, if you twist
anti-clockwise it tightens as you apply it. Hence if you are tying the
"Little Dark Watchet"
with purple and orange silk. If you lightly dub the orange (bobbin
thread) with moles fur,
then twist both threads 5 turns clockwise prior to tying on. The threads
will lay parallel with
each other on the hook. What a lovely spider.
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Ernie > wrote in message
m...
> 737 driver,
> Something just as good and easier is to double the thread, put the
dubbing
> between the threads, twist them and wrap it on the hook. When you
twist the
> threads make certain to twist in the right direction or when you wrap
it the
> thread will untwist. You will get the idea when you do it.
> Ernie
>
> "tyer" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out
anything on
> > the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a
detailed
> > explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique?
Thanks

> > 737driver

Ernie
November 23rd, 2003, 02:03 AM
"Norman Greenwood" > wrote in message
> If you are a right handed tier, going clockwise round the hook from the
> eye end, if you twist
> anti-clockwise it tightens as you apply it. Hence if you are tying the
> "Little Dark Watchet"
> with purple and orange silk. If you lightly dub the orange (bobbin
> thread) with moles fur,
> then twist both threads 5 turns clockwise prior to tying on. The threads
> will lay parallel with
> each other on the hook. What a lovely spider.
> A Yorkshire Lad

Very well said Norman.
Ernie

Mike McGuire
November 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM
tyer wrote:
> I have done a small amount of searching but I cannot find out anything on
> the split thread technique of dubbing. Could someone give me a detailed
> explanation or tell me where I can find info on this technique? Thanks
>
> 737driver

Here's an article I wrote on the technique that you may find useful.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/shStreamer.html

Mike

Ernie
November 24th, 2003, 05:57 PM
"Mike McGuire" wrote
> Here's an article I wrote on the technique that you may find useful.
> http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/shStreamer.html
> Mike

Mike,
Nice article. I liked the idea of holding the feather with the paper clamp.
Ernie

Jim Ray
November 26th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Well written. I have never seen, or thought of, the paper clip idea. I'm
looking forward to a bit of experimentation with the technique.

Jim Ray
--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply
hlink.net...