PDA

View Full Version : Pig Hair

riverman
November 24th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Any special properties of hogs hair for tying?

--riverman

JR
November 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
riverman wrote:

> Any special properties of hogs hair for tying?

Don't know, but there seems to be some controversy about 1) whether one
gets dirty in the process of collecting the hair and 2) whether the pig
enjoys it. Any empirical evidence you might be in a position to share
would be most appreciated.

JR

riverman
November 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM
"JR" > wrote in message
> riverman wrote:
> >
> > Any special properties of hogs hair for tying?
>
> Don't know, but there seems to be some controversy about 1) whether one
> gets dirty in the process of collecting the hair and 2) whether the pig
> enjoys it. Any empirical evidence you might be in a position to share
> would be most appreciated.

Well, judging from the 6.5 mm hole at the base of the right ear, I'm pretty
sure it didn't enjoy it <much>...

--riverman

Stephen Welsh
November 24th, 2003, 09:31 PM
"riverman" > wrote in news:bpt8j1$1s0eh9$1@ID-
162575.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Any special properties of hogs hair for tying?
>
> --riverman

Never handled any myself ... some classic Salmon fly
patterns call for boar underfur for body material I believe.

Steve

Larry
November 24th, 2003, 09:44 PM
> Any special properties of hogs hair for tying?

"Guard hairs" can be used as a ribbing over a body of white silk for
midges, and the underfur can be used as a coarse dubbing for stonefly
nymphs, and is used on some "classic" salmon flies as a butt or shoulder.

Some folks like to use it for antennae, tails and legs on ultra
realistic nymphs also.

Larry