PDA

View Full Version : Thompson vise

Larry
November 26th, 2003, 02:25 PM
> I am hearing, with alarming and seemingly reliable frequency, that
Thompson
> Vise Co. is going out of business(or has, at this writing). This is
indeed sad,
> as it seems that a huge percentage of tyers started with a Thompson
model A
> vise, many still using same. Any definite confirmation on this one, any
> comments?

Well, their website hasn't been updated since 2002,
http://www.dhthompson.com/

but that doesn't mean much. There's an E-mail comments form on the
"contact us" page, along with a phone number so I guess you could call
and ask. (847)683-0051 They're in Elgin, IL if anyone is close...

Larry

Ernie
November 26th, 2003, 04:07 PM
"Larry" > wrote in message
. com...
> > I am hearing, with alarming and seemingly reliable frequency, that
> > Thompson Vise Co. is going out of business(or has, at this writing).
> > This is indeed sad, as it seems that a huge percentage of tyers started
> > with a Thompson model A vise, many still using same. Any definite
> > confirmation on this one, any comments?

Larry ,
Not only did I start with one, I still have it and it is going strong. I
couldn't
believe all the attachments they make now for a Thompson A vise.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did go out of business. There are so many
vises
on the market and fly fishermen these days have to have the latest and
greatest
In a few more years mine will be a collectors item. :)
Ernie

Jim Ray
November 26th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I think the real collector's item will be the Cobra Vise. From what I have
heard, it isn't selling real well.

Jim Ray
"Ernie" > wrote in message
om...

> "Larry" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > > I am hearing, with alarming and seemingly reliable frequency, that
> > > Thompson Vise Co. is going out of business(or has, at this writing).
> > > This is indeed sad, as it seems that a huge percentage of tyers
started
> > > with a Thompson model A vise, many still using same. Any definite
> > > confirmation on this one, any comments?
>

> Larry ,
> Not only did I start with one, I still have it and it is going strong. I
> couldn't
> believe all the attachments they make now for a Thompson A vise.
> It wouldn't surprise me if they did go out of business. There are so many
> vises
> on the market and fly fishermen these days have to have the latest and
> greatest
> In a few more years mine will be a collectors item. :)
> Ernie

Frank Church
November 26th, 2003, 05:47 PM
"Ernie" > wrote in
om:

> Not only did I start with one, I still have it and it is going strong.
> I couldn't
> believe all the attachments they make now for a Thompson A vise.
> It wouldn't surprise me if they did go out of business. There are so
> many vises
> on the market and fly fishermen these days have to have the latest and
> greatest
> In a few more years mine will be a collectors item. :)
> Ernie

.........and so will you. :) :) :)

Frank Church
...I be right behind you Ernie.

Jamie Heim
November 28th, 2003, 12:28 PM
what attachments are available?

--
Regards,
Jamie 8^)>

"Ernie" > wrote in message
om...

> "Larry" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > > I am hearing, with alarming and seemingly reliable frequency, that
> > > Thompson Vise Co. is going out of business(or has, at this writing).
> > > This is indeed sad, as it seems that a huge percentage of tyers
started
> > > with a Thompson model A vise, many still using same. Any definite
> > > confirmation on this one, any comments?
>

> Larry ,
> Not only did I start with one, I still have it and it is going strong. I
> couldn't
> believe all the attachments they make now for a Thompson A vise.
> It wouldn't surprise me if they did go out of business. There are so many
> vises
> on the market and fly fishermen these days have to have the latest and
> greatest
> In a few more years mine will be a collectors item. :)
> Ernie

Ernie
November 28th, 2003, 04:35 PM
"Jamie Heim" > wrote in message
> what attachments are available?

See their Webb site at http://www.dhthompson.com/
Ernie

riverman
December 1st, 2003, 05:14 PM
They're in Elgin, IL if anyone is close...

Elgin....Elgin.....now why does THAT ring a bell?? (Really, this isn't a
troll.) What else was built in Elgin that I've heard of...? ViceGrips, or
some special balance (is there a scientific balance called an Elgin?), or is
it a musical instrument... any ideas anyone? I remember that name from years
ago, in some other context than fly fishing..

--riverman
(suffering from CRS)

Wolfgang
December 1st, 2003, 05:15 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
> [...]

Outboard motors.

Wolfgang

riverman
December 1st, 2003, 05:32 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "riverman" > wrote in message

HOLD THE PRESSES. I remember. My grandfather had an watch called an Elgin.
It had a rectangular face, and was apparently a very valuable one. When he
died, I inherited it and soon learned that it wasn't waterproof.... I also
learned that watches are much harder to put back together than you'd think.

--riverman

Wolfgang
December 1st, 2003, 05:46 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> >

> > ... any ideas anyone? I remember that name
> > from years
> > > ago, in some other context than fly fishing..
> > >
> > > --riverman
> > > (suffering from CRS)
> >
> > Outboard motors.
> >
> > Wolfgang
>

> HOLD THE PRESSES. I remember. My grandfather had an watch called an
Elgin.
> It had a rectangular face, and was apparently a very valuable one.
When he
> died, I inherited it and soon learned that it wasn't waterproof....
I also
> learned that watches are much harder to put back together than you'd
think.

> --riverman

Yep, Elgin watches were very popular at one time. I'm not sure
whether the company is still in existence.....I haven't seen or heard
of one of their products in a long time. I'm pretty sure that Elgin
motors have been defunct for many years now.

Elgin used to be a major manufacturing center, as was (and still is,
to some extent) all of northeastern Illinois and southeastern
Wisconsin. A lot of the factories in the area moved south and/or
overseas, but there is still a lot of industry. Seems to me there
were a few other well known products from Elgin, but nothing specific
that I'm real certain about lo these many years later....maybe a line
of plateware or something like that.

Wolfgang

Sandy
December 1st, 2003, 07:07 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "riverman" > wrote in message

Lathes.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/elgin/

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

slenon
December 1st, 2003, 09:13 PM
>(is there a scientific balance called an Elgin?), or is
>it a musical instrument... any ideas anyone? I remember that name from
years
>ago, in some other context than fly fishing..
>--riverman

The watch reference has already been mentioned. The musical instrument link
you're looking for is most likely Elkhart IN.
--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Mike Connor
December 2nd, 2003, 02:33 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message >...
> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> >
> > "riverman" > wrote in message

Famous for lathes. I have one in my workshop. Still an excellent
machine, although quite old now.

Try

http://www.lathes.co.uk/elgin/

TL
MC

riverman
December 2nd, 2003, 08:26 AM
"slenon" > wrote in message
om...
> >(is there a scientific balance called an Elgin?), or is
> >it a musical instrument... any ideas anyone? I remember that name from
> years
> >ago, in some other context than fly fishing..
> >--riverman
>
> The watch reference has already been mentioned. The musical instrument
link
> you're looking for is most likely Elkhart IN.
>\

Hmm, was that the home of the famous 'Pianolin'?

--riverman

slenon
December 2nd, 2003, 11:10 AM
http://home.dejazzd.com/williams/QuickIdentifierPages/Pianolin.htm

Elkhart is associated with band instruments. For Pianolin, see above.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Ernie
December 2nd, 2003, 02:49 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
> Elgin....Elgin.....now why does THAT ring a bell??
(Really, this isn't a
> troll.) What else was built in Elgin that I've heard
of...? ViceGrips, or
> some special balance (is there a scientific balance called
an Elgin?), or is
> it a musical instrument... any ideas anyone? I remember
that name from years
> ago, in some other context than fly fishing..
>
> --riverman
> (suffering from CRS)

I had an Elgin bike when I was a kid.
Ernie