PDA

View Full Version : Okuma fly reel choices

Stew Corman
December 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM
I am in the market for a backup of my Mitchell 782 graphite disc drag
anti-reverse reel, now used on a 10 foot 9/10 IM-7 rod.

Haven't found an anti-reverse for under $200, so I will accept the
handle flailing around.

The Okuma "Airstream" had been recently replaced by the "Airframe"
model, which weighs 6 oz and has the large star drag adjuster. Has
anyone any experience with the previous Airstream which has been
around for several years?

The local stores only carry the Okuma Sierra, which is heavy for the
spool size, and I don't like the small adjuster knob. I will admit
that the disc drag will stop the spool. The reel looks well made, but
I prefer graphite spools and the Airframe is a much simpler design.
We use 500yds straight 12# mono when using egg sacs for salmonm, and I
had a heavy MG Martin with aluminum spool that spread apart, as well
as the biggest Pflueger whose spool warps when filled only 1/2 with
mono.

Any comments would be appreciated

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott