PDA

View Full Version : Fly shops in Maryland?

Scott Ecelberger
December 7th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Hi all,

I'm getting back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking for
alternatives.
Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Joe Fleischman
December 7th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Scott Ecelberger > wrote in message > I'm getting
back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
> The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking
for
> alternatives.
> Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
> Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
> Any suggestions?

Scott,

Without question, my favorite fly shop is the Fisherman's Edge in
Catonsville, MD. It's about a mile or so outside the Balto Beltway on
Edmondson Ave. (Exit 14?) Joe Bruce, the owner, is as nice & helpful a guy
as you could want. It's a small shop with a far smaller selection of stuff
than BPS, but it's still just about everything you'd really need.

There is another good shop up north of Baltimore off I-83 in a little town
called Monkton. I'm having a brain fart at the moment & can't remember the
name. Oh, yeah, it's Backwater Anglers. Good shop & good guys in my
limited experience. It's also right near some great trout water (Gunpowder
R.).

Joe F.

Lat705
December 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM
There's a fly fishing show at U of M around Jan 23 04. There will be fly shops
from all over, including MD. There's a free montly magazine, the mid atlantic
Fly Fishing Guide that most of the fly shops have. Pick one up. It lists many
fly shops. mAnother thing to consider is joining a FF club. There are many in
MD and probably one close to your location. The referenced monthly lists club
meetings.

Lou T

Allen Epps
December 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
In article
Fleischman > wrote:

> Scott Ecelberger > wrote in message > I'm getting
> back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
> > The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking
> for
> > alternatives.
> > Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
> > Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Scott,
>
> Without question, my favorite fly shop is the Fisherman's Edge in
> Catonsville, MD. It's about a mile or so outside the Balto Beltway on
> Edmondson Ave. (Exit 14?) Joe Bruce, the owner, is as nice & helpful a guy
> as you could want. It's a small shop with a far smaller selection of stuff
> than BPS, but it's still just about everything you'd really need.
>
> There is another good shop up north of Baltimore off I-83 in a little town
> called Monkton. I'm having a brain fart at the moment & can't remember the
> name. Oh, yeah, it's Backwater Anglers. Good shop & good guys in my
> limited experience. It's also right near some great trout water (Gunpowder
> R.).
>
> Joe F.

I'll echo Joe's comments about Fisherman's Edge. I've never needed
anything that he didn't have or couldn't get. It helps that it's a mile
and a half down Edmondson from me. His website is www.joebruce.com

Allen
Catonsville, mD

Scott Ecelberger
December 7th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks Everyone,

I'll definitely check out both shops.
Hopefully the smaller shops will have that napthalene smell that the BPS is
missing.
To this day - fly tying memories pop into my head everytime I catch a whiff
of mothballs.

I just checked for the FF show - Jan 10 and 11.
http://www.flyfishingshow.com/collegepark.html

Scott

"Lat705" > wrote in message
> There's a fly fishing show at U of M around Jan 23 04. There will be fly
shops
> from all over, including MD. There's a free montly magazine, the mid
atlantic
> Fly Fishing Guide that most of the fly shops have. Pick one up. It lists
many
> fly shops. mAnother thing to consider is joining a FF club. There are
many in
> MD and probably one close to your location. The referenced monthly lists
club
> meetings.
>

> Lou T

Bob Dietz
December 14th, 2003, 05:35 AM
"Joe Fleischman" > wrote in message
> Scott Ecelberger > wrote in message > I'm getting
> back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
> > The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking
> for
> > alternatives.
> > Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
> > Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> There is another good shop up north of Baltimore off I-83 in a little town
> called Monkton. I'm having a brain fart at the moment & can't remember
the
> name. Oh, yeah, it's Backwater Anglers. Good shop & good guys in my
> limited experience. It's also right near some great trout water
(Gunpowder
> R.).

Additionally, Great Feathers on York Road a few miles south of Monkton.

There's an Orvis shop on Market in Frederck a few blocks north of Patrick
St., but they seldom have anything that I find useful.

The L.L. Bean in the Columbia Mall has a fly fishing sections that's ok, but
not great.

I believe there's a fly shop in Westminster as well, but I've never been
there.

Bob Dietz

Gene C
December 19th, 2003, 02:20 PM
"Scott Ecelberger" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
> The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking for
> alternatives.
> Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
> Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

The Fly Fishing Show in College Park is 1/10/04 and 1/11/04.

Another suggestion is to use Yahoo "Yellow Pages". Insert your city
and then fishing shops as the search item.

Hope this helps.

Allen Epps
December 19th, 2003, 10:09 PM
In article >, Gene C
> wrote:

> "Scott Ecelberger" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm getting back into fly tying and fishing after about a 15 year break.
> > The Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has a good selection but I'm looking for
> > alternatives.
> > Preferably in the Frederick, Carroll, Howard County region.
> > Shops with a beginners course in tying would be a plus.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott
>

> The Fly Fishing Show in College Park is 1/10/04 and 1/11/04.
>
> Another suggestion is to use Yahoo "Yellow Pages". Insert your city
> and then fishing shops as the search item.
>
> Hope this helps.

Speaking of the fly show. in the past some of us have gotten together
and chatted and some others have gone to lunch. Any interest?

Allen
Catonsville, MD

rb608
December 19th, 2003, 10:32 PM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> Speaking of the fly show. in the past some of us have gotten together
> and chatted and some others have gone to lunch. Any interest?

Interest? Most definitely. Availability? TBD.

Joe F.

Lat705
December 20th, 2003, 02:03 AM
I'll be there on Saturday.