PDA

View Full Version : Looking for images for my fishing log, thanks.

Jen
December 10th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Hello,
I participated in the development of this fishing log and image
repository for fishermen:

http://fishing.idealog.net

If you have interesting images of your past catches, fishing trips,
repairs, inventory, bait, tackle, fishing buddies or any other images
that you could donate and that you would not mind being used for our
web site and the log graphics (splash screen or sample HTML pages
generated by the log), please let me know. Any feedback on the product
would be greately appreciated too.

We always give credits to contributors. A link to your site, your name
in the credit section is not a problem.

Thanks.
Jen

http://fishing.idealog.net
www.idealog.net

L. A. Powell
December 10th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Smells like spam...

"Jen" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> I participated in the development of this fishing log and image
> repository for fishermen:
>
> http://fishing.idealog.net
>
> If you have interesting images of your past catches, fishing trips,
> repairs, inventory, bait, tackle, fishing buddies or any other images
> that you could donate and that you would not mind being used for our
> web site and the log graphics (splash screen or sample HTML pages
> generated by the log), please let me know. Any feedback on the product
> would be greately appreciated too.
>
> We always give credits to contributors. A link to your site, your name
> in the credit section is not a problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Jen
>
> http://fishing.idealog.net
> www.idealog.net

Jen
December 11th, 2003, 01:59 AM
No, it isn't spam.
Please reply to my e-mail address.
Thank you.
Jen

"L. A. Powell" > wrote in message news:<t3HBb.300059$Dw6.998859@attbi_s02>...
> Smells like spam...
>
> "Jen" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hello,
> > I participated in the development of this fishing log and image
> > repository for fishermen:
> >
> > http://fishing.idealog.net
> >
> > If you have interesting images of your past catches, fishing trips,
> > repairs, inventory, bait, tackle, fishing buddies or any other images
> > that you could donate and that you would not mind being used for our
> > web site and the log graphics (splash screen or sample HTML pages
> > generated by the log), please let me know. Any feedback on the product
> > would be greately appreciated too.
> >
> > We always give credits to contributors. A link to your site, your name
> > in the credit section is not a problem.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Jen
> >
> > http://fishing.idealog.net
> > www.idealog.net

Gene Cottrell
December 11th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Certainly IS SPAM!

You're just looking for suckers to go to the site!

If you really wanted photos, you'd mention it on the site, not here. I
didn't see any pleas for photos on the site home page.

Please advertise elsewhere

Gene

"Jen" > wrote in message
om...
> No, it isn't spam.
> Please reply to my e-mail address.
> Thank you.
> Jen
>

> "L. A. Powell" > wrote in message
> > Smells like spam...
> >
> > "Jen" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hello,
> > > I participated in the development of this fishing log and image
> > > repository for fishermen:
> > >
> > > http://fishing.idealog.net
> > >
> > > If you have interesting images of your past catches, fishing trips,
> > > repairs, inventory, bait, tackle, fishing buddies or any other images
> > > that you could donate and that you would not mind being used for our
> > > web site and the log graphics (splash screen or sample HTML pages
> > > generated by the log), please let me know. Any feedback on the product
> > > would be greately appreciated too.
> > >
> > > We always give credits to contributors. A link to your site, your name
> > > in the credit section is not a problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Jen
> > >
> > > http://fishing.idealog.net
> > > www.idealog.net

joe
December 11th, 2003, 04:17 AM
In article
"Gene Cottrell" > wrote:

> Certainly IS SPAM!
>
> You're just looking for suckers to go to the site!
>
> If you really wanted photos, you'd mention it on the site, not here. I
> didn't see any pleas for photos on the site home page.
>
> Please advertise elsewhere
>
> Gene
>
> "Jen" > wrote in message
> om...
> > No, it isn't spam.
> > Please reply to my e-mail address.
> > Thank you.
> > Jen
> >

> > "L. A. Powell" > wrote in message
> > > Smells like spam...
> > >
> > > "Jen" > wrote in message
> > > om...

Seriously, SPAM or not, the post does not appear present the facts. The
site seems to have only one purpose and that is to sell a software
application.

Not that my opinion is important but I have no problem with commercial
posts as long as the poster is up front about it. If you have something
of interest people will choose to check it out.

I saw no links to 'donate' pictures but since this is for-profit
software built partially on open source contributions I would be glad to
sell some images at a fair price.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Jen
December 11th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Hello again,

> > You're just looking for suckers to go to the site!

I would never call anybody visiting our site a sucker.

> > If you really wanted photos, you'd mention it on the site, not here. I
> > didn't see any pleas for photos on the site home page.

We do need photos to go to our default database and we give credits to
all who donate (have a look at the links). As you certainly
understand, there is a limit in what you can and can't put on a site.
The fact that we do not ask for images on our site does not mean we do
not need them. Where else could I go and ask for images?

Ok, I absolutely understand the reasons for such replies to my
e-mails. I am too tired of unsolicited emails I receive every day. I
can only hope that some of you will contact me and send me some
images.

You want to prove I am a spammer - send me something worthwhile and
see if it appears on our site or on a splash screen or in the sample
database. Oh, and check if we mention your name in the acknowledgement
section.

Kind regards,

Jen

joe > wrote in message >...
> In article
> >,
> "Gene Cottrell" > wrote:
>
> > Certainly IS SPAM!
> >
> > You're just looking for suckers to go to the site!
> >
> > If you really wanted photos, you'd mention it on the site, not here. I
> > didn't see any pleas for photos on the site home page.
> >
> > Please advertise elsewhere
> >
> > Gene
> >
> > "Jen" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > No, it isn't spam.
> > > Please reply to my e-mail address.
> > > Thank you.
> > > Jen
> > >

> > > "L. A. Powell" > wrote in message

> Seriously, SPAM or not, the post does not appear present the facts. The
> site seems to have only one purpose and that is to sell a software
> application.
>
> Not that my opinion is important but I have no problem with commercial
> posts as long as the poster is up front about it. If you have something
> of interest people will choose to check it out.
>
> I saw no links to 'donate' pictures but since this is for-profit
> software built partially on open source contributions I would be glad to
> sell some images at a fair price.

Jen
December 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Hi Joe,

> Seriously, SPAM or not, the post does not appear present the facts. The
> site seems to have only one purpose and that is to sell a software
> application.
>
> Not that my opinion is important but I have no problem with commercial
> posts as long as the poster is up front about it. If you have something
> of interest people will choose to check it out.

How could I be more upfront? I asked for images and explained the
reasons why I would need them. I could just ask for images, but there
is a tiny problem with copyright that may arise when I use it in the
program, so I had to be upfront and provide a link. If you don't want
your pictures to be used this way - simply ignore the mail.

> I saw no links to 'donate' pictures but since this is for-profit
> software built partially on open source contributions I would be glad to
> sell some images at a fair price.

I am not a developer, but I can tell you that the open source code
makes up just about 2% of the total code. We are however very thankful
to everybody who donate their source code and give credits to
everybody. The software uses commercial 3rd party libraries and
products as well, the total cost is well over 2000 USD. If you are
interested I could send you a list.

> I would be glad to
> sell some images at a fair price.

And you would be absolutely right to do so. We however would not be
able to afford it. Our registration fees will never cover the time
some of the guys invested into developing the program, maintaining the
site, providing customer support and so on.

Jen

joe
December 11th, 2003, 01:23 PM
In article >,
(Jen) wrote:

> How could I be more upfront? I asked for images and explained the
> reasons why I would need them. I could just ask for images, but there
> is a tiny problem with copyright that may arise when I use it in the
> program, so I had to be upfront and provide a link. If you don't want
> your pictures to be used this way - simply ignore the mail.

Maybe this:

>>Looking for images to enhance our shareware fishing log software (or
home security, or birdwatching, etc.). We will not pay you but if you
download a copy of our 'free' (demo?, time limited? can not verify what
the free version does as I use a BSD version and do not run Windows as
it appears this requires to operate) software you can see your
submission credited.<<

Also, this is not 'mail' but a usenet group that is focused on sal****er
angling, one of the several newsgroups that you cross-posted to (and due
to my lack of checking previously that I also cross posted apparently in
responding). Your subject does not match the content. I read your 'mail'
as I thought that an angler was looking for images for a logbook. That
is not at all what the post is about. You are not an individual but a
representative of a shareware/commercial application looking for images
for use in your product.

Just add 'ADV' to the subject and that way people who are not interested
will know it is commercial and can skip it.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

-- Rob
December 11th, 2003, 02:34 PM
>I would never call anybody visiting our site a sucker.

no need, they are just by visiting.

you did spam the group.

spam in newsgroups is when someone misrepresents their post, which you did.
you did not say you have a product for which you need free pictures, rather you
made your "site" seem like yet another fishing forum, which it clearly is not.

spam it was. don't make it worse by trying to justify it.
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Jen
December 11th, 2003, 09:35 PM
What the software does and the limitations, you can see from the FAQ
list. What our software "appears to require" is written on the
snapshot. Or may be you can not set up Mozilla properly to view GIFs?
Ok, I am sorry, I did not mean it. After all you have put together a
decent site.

> Also, this is not 'mail' but a usenet group that is
> focused on sal****er angling

I sent the message to members of the group asking for images, knowing
in advance that some of you might donate them. And if some of the
members find it interesting to see or validate (let aside use) what
other people do (software, graphics etc) it would make me twice as
happy.

> Your subject does not match the content. I read your 'mail'
> as I thought that an angler was looking for images for a logbook.
> That is not at all what the post is about.

Ok, you misread my subject, otherwise you can always tell what is in
the post without reading it. It was apparently a big deal enough for
you to call me a spammer and a liar. Or is it because you use BSD only
and can not try out the program? Could there be a slight chance that
you are simply jealous Joe?

Apologies for misusing the word "mail". English is my fourth language
and I am trying my best.

> I saw no links to 'donate' pictures but since this is for-profit
> software built partially on open source contributions I would be glad to
> sell some images at a fair price.

BSD, he. So you have compiled millions of lines of BSD code (you
compiled it, right?), processed a few images using totally free
software (GIMP was it?) and yet you have nothing against getting some
money for YOUR work. Well, at least we paid for our software tools,
3rd party libraries and the OS (however horrible the OS is. You
guessed right, I use unix too and can compare).

> You are not an individual but a representative of a
> shareware/commercial application

Did you just call me a robot? You seem to be sure of everything you
say. I am an individual. I am working on graphics for an interesting
software project. I do not earn money from my posts or my work. I
learn however a lot and am very proud of what I have done so far,
except may be for engaging in this pointless "conversation".

Please feel free to send your e-mails to me at .

Jen

All typos and errors in my English are for your entertainment only and
are copyrighted work of the author.

Bob La Londe
December 11th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Just curious, are you the same Jen that was pushing CSC Phoenix Consulting
or something like that a while back?

Charles B. Summers
December 11th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Here ya go, Jen... http://www.internetclipart.com/fFishing/fishing.htm

See if there's something there that'll interest you.

"Jen" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> I participated in the development of this fishing log and image
> repository for fishermen:
>
> http://fishing.idealog.net
>
> If you have interesting images of your past catches, fishing trips,
> repairs, inventory, bait, tackle, fishing buddies or any other images
> that you could donate and that you would not mind being used for our
> web site and the log graphics (splash screen or sample HTML pages
> generated by the log), please let me know. Any feedback on the product
> would be greately appreciated too.
>
> We always give credits to contributors. A link to your site, your name
> in the credit section is not a problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Jen
>
> http://fishing.idealog.net
> www.idealog.net

Jen
December 12th, 2003, 12:35 PM
> From: Bob La Londe )
> Just curious, are you the same Jen that was pushing CSC
> Phoenix Consulting
> or something like that a while back?

Hi Bob, I remember you asked the same question in September. No, I am
not familiar with the project or company. If you need any info about
who I am or what I do for the software mentioned above – do not
hesitate to contact me.

> robot, pointless, Gimp, database options etc

You are absolutely right Joe, it was a waste of bandwidth and time for
most of the readers of this group. I promise that I will be more
accurate when choosing titles for my posts. If you need feedback on
your thoughts about database options and crossplatform solution - send
us a message through http://fishing.idealog.net/feedback.html (general
comment from our developers so far: "not a chance, mate", they might
be wrong however, I don't know). Take care.

> Here ya go, Jen... http://www.internetclipart.com/fFishing/fishing.htm
> See if there's something there that'll interest you.

I have seen the site and tried to use some of the work for splash
screens, but it did not work very well since it is difficult to
combine photos and clipart on one image. Otherwise, the quality of the
clipart is quite good and it is a useful link as it also covers other
areas. Thanks.

Illinois Fisherman
December 12th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Jen,
If you use MS Image Composer you can combine clip art and picks easily or
your web page. It is not the easiest program to learn but once you do it
opens up a lot of possibilities. It comes as an add in with FrontPage.

"Jen" > wrote in message
om...
> > From: Bob La Londe )
> > Just curious, are you the same Jen that was pushing CSC
> > Phoenix Consulting
> > or something like that a while back?
>
> Hi Bob, I remember you asked the same question in September. No, I am
> not familiar with the project or company. If you need any info about
> who I am or what I do for the software mentioned above - do not
> hesitate to contact me.
>
> > robot, pointless, Gimp, database options etc
>
> You are absolutely right Joe, it was a waste of bandwidth and time for
> most of the readers of this group. I promise that I will be more
> accurate when choosing titles for my posts. If you need feedback on
> your thoughts about database options and crossplatform solution - send
> us a message through http://fishing.idealog.net/feedback.html (general
> comment from our developers so far: "not a chance, mate", they might
> be wrong however, I don't know). Take care.
>
> > Here ya go, Jen... http://www.internetclipart.com/fFishing/fishing.htm
> > See if there's something there that'll interest you.
>
> I have seen the site and tried to use some of the work for splash
> screens, but it did not work very well since it is difficult to
> combine photos and clipart on one image. Otherwise, the quality of the
> clipart is quite good and it is a useful link as it also covers other
> areas. Thanks.

Scott Seidman
December 12th, 2003, 10:42 PM
(Jen) wrote in news:37c557cd.0312110309.5e446447
@posting.google.com:

> You want to prove I am a spammer - send me something worthwhile and
> see if it appears on our site or on a splash screen or in the sample
> database. Oh, and check if we mention your name in the acknowledgement
> section.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jen

I don't know if you're a spammer or not (or particularly care), but the
FAQ at your site disturbs me.

From the FAQ:
********
Contacting Fishing Log PRO Team
Q: I would like to send an e-mail to the authors. Why can't I see any e-
mail addresses anywhere in your contact details.

A: We decided not to publish our addresses any longer because of hundreds
unsolicited e-mails we used to receive every day. Please use the feedback
page link to contact us directly.

Q: Could I call you or ask you to contact me by phone regarding Fishing
Log PRO?

A: We do not have a hotline support center. It helps us to cut costs and
keep our registration fees very low. If you have any questions - you can
always ask us by submitting your query via the feedback page. Make sure
you have read this FAQ and be specific when asking questions.
*******

Personally, I won't do ANY e-business with anyone I couldn't contact by
phone if I needed to, EVER. I don't even know what country you guys are
in.

While most likely you're legit, sending a credit card number to the
nameless and faceless is a really stupid thing to do. Its a high risk
way to make a purchase. Even if I were in the market for a fishing log,
you wouldn't get my business.

Scott

Andrew Kidd
December 13th, 2003, 12:30 AM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
<SNIP>
> Personally, I won't do ANY e-business with anyone I couldn't contact by
> phone if I needed to, EVER. I don't even know what country you guys are
> in.
>
> While most likely you're legit, sending a credit card number to the
> nameless and faceless is a really stupid thing to do. Its a high risk
> way to make a purchase. Even if I were in the market for a fishing log,
> you wouldn't get my business.

I'm not attacking here, but I do have a different point of view....
While I agree that it is slightly more difficult to do business by
email, I have an online business and while 99.9% of our customers are fine
people we're happy to have for customers, I don't want to hand that other
..1% my home phone number (actually, my second phoneline). My point being,
not every business on the internet is run in a dedicated office environment.
We run our business from our homes, and our website is our office. We still
give our customers our best service possible, everyday. Actually, several
times a day!
As for credit cards, you're only slightly more at risk over the internet
then by handing it to the guy or gal at the restaurant who disappears with
it to charge your bill, or the folks at the hotel counter who take an
impression of your card for their records, or the folks who take your order
over the phone for catalogs, etc, etc, etc. God only knows how many people
have access to your card that you don't know at all, and have never met...

P.S. The site representitive is from Dublin, Ireland. This, and his
address and phone number, can be found through publicly accessible
information online. So, our customers could find our phone number if they
needed to.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Scott Seidman
December 15th, 2003, 03:40 PM
"Andrew Kidd" > wrote in

> "Scott Seidman" > wrote in message
> . 1.4...
> <SNIP>
>> Personally, I won't do ANY e-business with anyone I couldn't contact
>> by phone if I needed to, EVER. I don't even know what country you
>> guys are in.
>>
>> While most likely you're legit, sending a credit card number to the
>> nameless and faceless is a really stupid thing to do. Its a high
>> risk way to make a purchase. Even if I were in the market for a
>> fishing log, you wouldn't get my business.
>

> I'm not attacking here, but I do have a different point of view....
> While I agree that it is slightly more difficult to do business by
> email, I have an online business and while 99.9% of our customers are
> fine people we're happy to have for customers, I don't want to hand
> that other .1% my home phone number (actually, my second phoneline).
> My point being, not every business on the internet is run in a
> dedicated office environment. We run our business from our homes, and
> our website is our office. We still give our customers our best
> service possible, everyday. Actually, several times a day!

I'm sure you do provide excellent customer service, but putting in a
dedicated phone line with an answering machine is a relatively small
expense that might attract customers. At least, your website provides an
address. The site in question here doesn't extend that courtesy. I
think we can both agree that when you give your credit card to someone,
you should at least know what business you're giving it to.

> As for credit cards, you're only slightly more at risk over the
> internet
> then by handing it to the guy or gal at the restaurant who disappears
> with it to charge your bill, or the folks at the hotel counter who
> take an impression of your card for their records, or the folks who
> take your order over the phone for catalogs, etc, etc, etc. God only
> knows how many people have access to your card that you don't know at
> all, and have never met...

When you deal with reputable online companies with good security
policies, you're probably safer than when you hand you're credit card to
a waiter. When you deal with small guys who don't know from security,
you're asking for trouble. I'm basing this on letters from my web-
hosting company that said they found many sites on their own servers that
were collecting card numbers on encrypted pages, and then mailing them or
storing them on unencrypted pages.

> P.S. The site representitive is from Dublin, Ireland. This, and his
> address and phone number, can be found through publicly accessible
> information online. So, our customers could find our phone number if
> they needed to.

With you're site, you're a corporation. People can find your Tax ID
number if they needed it, they can complain to your attorney generals
office or better business beaureau if they saw fit. You're not
anonymous. There remains something inherently wrong with doing business
with an anonymous party.

Scott