PDA

View Full Version : one foot in the grave, the other on a round rock

bones
December 10th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
Profoundly Life Altering experience. The crushing words : “You have
Cancer”, to the 6 week wait to see just how much and how far, have
been the most stress filed and terror ridden days in my very short
life. CAT scans that showed possible liver involvement, Ultra sounds
that did not, three hours on an Operating Table, waiting 5 days for
Pathology, The surgeon talking about what he thinks the tumor could
be: ” A B 2 Maybe to C2 hard to say… we will know in a week. A
week !! Five days and nights sitting straight up in the dark and not
sleeping a wink thinlking: If I had only..., **** a C2, that means
I’m dead... what will my wife do? How much insurance do I have ?...
I will not see my grand children... how much time do I have?
For those that have been there my hats off There is no scarier sound
in the mind or the heart than the whistle of the Grim Reapers sickle…
you can hear it in you sleep, you see it flash, it’s the real deal

I my case the pathology has pushed the reaper back a bit, not much,
but just a bit. For those that can relate, no nodes involved, liver
not involved.

I can only remember spontaneously crying as a man, twice in my life, I
have done that hourly for the last six days.

There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
I will most likely have to go through Chemo…

* Harry Mason
www.Troutflies.com

rb608
December 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM
"bones" > wrote in message
> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.

Harry, you have my best wishes and hopes for the best outcome possible.

Joe F.

Charlie Choc
December 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:54:02 GMT, bones >
wrote:

>There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
>I will most likely have to go through Chemo…

Hang in there Harry.
--
Charlie...

Frank Church
December 10th, 2003, 06:17 PM
bones > wrote in
:

> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo…

Harry, you have my best wishes for a better than expected outcome of this
awful news..many other people have survived the big C and so can you.

God Bless,

Frank Church

Ken Fortenberry
December 10th, 2003, 06:23 PM
bones wrote:
> There is hope ...

Give 'em hell, Harry and I wish you all the best.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Lat705
December 10th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Good luck Harry. I had Prostrate cancer six and a half years ago and was still
clean at my last checkup. Some times things work out. My prayers go out.
Hang in there.

Lou T

slenon
December 10th, 2003, 07:34 PM
My you find the inner peace, determination, and strength you need to get you
through this. Plan where you want to go fishing when they pronounce you a
survivor five years from now.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

DaveMohnsen
December 10th, 2003, 08:16 PM
"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience.

Harry,
Best wishes from a little 'ol fly tier . . .uhh . . .better make that big
'ol fly tier, in Denver. Stay tough! Heck, you have a lot of more web
fly tying tutorials to do . . . once the docs get done prognosing,
diagnosing, prodding, probing, injecting, observing, advising, golfing,
skiing, and the other stuff they do.

I'm looking forward perhaps to a tutorial for a Pink Lady . . .parachute
style, loop wing, peccary split tail with Lady Amherst pheasant tippet
fibers mixed in, real flattened gold as a rib, pink urine stained Siberian
fox belly for the body, . . .and for a wing, an original gray, not dyed,
elk body wing . . .ya know . . not the sissy duck quill they used to use.
(kinda tuff to loop the elk . . .so if ya hafta ya could use Sherpa
collected Yeti hair from one of them far off places . . .Nepal comes to mind
.. . .don't have the exact color . . .ya might have to dye it a bit)
Hackle is fairly simple. Would come from the chickens grown in Northern
Thailand, a slightly lighter ginger color, only to be taken from the males,
under a full moon, only one hackle at a time, when lighted boats are coming
down the Ping River.
Hook: obviously a size 32 streamer hook to get the body length.
(heck . . .somethin' to think about . . .I have to admit . . .I don't think
about it that much . . .anymore)

DaveMohnsen
(to you . . .a guy I consider a caring pro, going a bit of rough weather . .
..wishing you better weather soon)

Sierra fisher
December 10th, 2003, 08:56 PM
I went through 5 months of chemo and had two operations totaling 15 hrs. I
was then given less than a year to live..12 years ago! I tried to do two
things; not feel sorry for myself, and to live the best I could for the rest
of my life, however short that was. I concluded that the practice of
medicine is at best an art, not a science, and anyone can get lucky. I did.

"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience. The crushing words : "You have
> Cancer", to the 6 week wait to see just how much and how far, have
> been the most stress filed and terror ridden days in my very short
> life. CAT scans that showed possible liver involvement, Ultra sounds
> that did not, three hours on an Operating Table, waiting 5 days for
> Pathology, The surgeon talking about what he thinks the tumor could
> be: " A B 2 Maybe to C2 hard to say. we will know in a week. A
> week !! Five days and nights sitting straight up in the dark and not
> sleeping a wink thinlking: If I had only..., **** a C2, that means
> I'm dead... what will my wife do? How much insurance do I have ?...
> I will not see my grand children... how much time do I have?
> For those that have been there my hats off There is no scarier sound
> in the mind or the heart than the whistle of the Grim Reapers sickle.
> you can hear it in you sleep, you see it flash, it's the real deal
>
> I my case the pathology has pushed the reaper back a bit, not much,
> but just a bit. For those that can relate, no nodes involved, liver
> not involved.
>
> I can only remember spontaneously crying as a man, twice in my life, I
> have done that hourly for the last six days.
>

> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.
>

> Harry Mason
> www.Troutflies.com

---

Stephen Welsh
December 10th, 2003, 09:25 PM
bones > wrote in
:

> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.

Sorry to hear you're in strife, Harry. Chin up! A positive outlook
and some modern meds. will have you fit as a mallee bull before you
know it.

All the best...

Steve

George Adams
December 10th, 2003, 09:36 PM
>From: bones

>There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .

The key words are: "There is hope." Stay strong, Harry, and stay
positive.....others are pulling for you.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Flyguy
December 10th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Harry,
we have never met but I still wanted to take a moment to pass on my
prayers and well wishes!
Keep us informed, and if you need a friendly ear... look me up!
Flyguy
Ont CAN
Iaan Spence

"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience. The crushing words : "You have
> Cancer", to the 6 week wait to see just how much and how far, have
> been the most stress filed and terror ridden days in my very short
> life. CAT scans that showed possible liver involvement, Ultra sounds
> that did not, three hours on an Operating Table, waiting 5 days for
> Pathology, The surgeon talking about what he thinks the tumor could
> be: " A B 2 Maybe to C2 hard to say. we will know in a week. A
> week !! Five days and nights sitting straight up in the dark and not
> sleeping a wink thinlking: If I had only..., **** a C2, that means
> I'm dead... what will my wife do? How much insurance do I have ?...
> I will not see my grand children... how much time do I have?
> For those that have been there my hats off There is no scarier sound
> in the mind or the heart than the whistle of the Grim Reapers sickle.
> you can hear it in you sleep, you see it flash, it's the real deal
>
> I my case the pathology has pushed the reaper back a bit, not much,
> but just a bit. For those that can relate, no nodes involved, liver
> not involved.
>
> I can only remember spontaneously crying as a man, twice in my life, I
> have done that hourly for the last six days.
>

> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.
>

> Harry Mason
> www.Troutflies.com

Tim J.
December 10th, 2003, 09:47 PM
"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience.
<snip>

Sorry to hear of your trauma, Harry. Try to concentrate on the foot that's on
the round rock. With the right felt, you'll have all the grip you need. :)
--
TL and best wishes,
Tim

detoor
December 10th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Sad to hear your story Harry .. fight it mate.. the sawbones have been
wrong many times b4

detoor
December 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM
G'day Steve how has the trout fishing been down in Victoria . This year is
the worst I have seen it around Canberra except for the big Mountain lakes
... think it's a combined result of the fires earlier in the year and the
drought ... fish just don't seem to be around.

Tom Littleton
December 11th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Harry,
as one who goes back to old Compuserve forum days, insofar as awe and respect
for your tying talents., let me send along my strongest wishes for a full and
lasting recovery.
My thoughts are, and will be with you.
Tom L

Jim Ray
December 11th, 2003, 03:14 AM
"bones" > wrote in message
> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.

> Harry Mason
> www.Troutflies.com

Harry:

Though I don't know you directly, I have enjoyed your fly tying tutorials
for some time now. I can't imagine the stress you have experienced in the
past days, but thank you for sharing this bit of your life. May you draw
support from the many that are thinking of you now. My prayers go out to you
and your family. Keep a tight line.

Jim Ray
--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Wayne P
December 11th, 2003, 03:16 AM
As someone who has heard those dreadfull words.

Hang on there. I will say a prayer for you. Mine was cured, I pray that
yours will be also.

wayne

"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience. The crushing words : "You have
> Cancer", to the 6 week wait to see just how much and how far, have
> been the most stress filed and terror ridden days in my very short
> life. CAT scans that showed possible liver involvement, Ultra sounds
> that did not, three hours on an Operating Table, waiting 5 days for
> Pathology, The surgeon talking about what he thinks the tumor could
> be: " A B 2 Maybe to C2 hard to say. we will know in a week. A
> week !! Five days and nights sitting straight up in the dark and not
> sleeping a wink thinlking: If I had only..., **** a C2, that means
> I'm dead... what will my wife do? How much insurance do I have ?...
> I will not see my grand children... how much time do I have?
> For those that have been there my hats off There is no scarier sound
> in the mind or the heart than the whistle of the Grim Reapers sickle.
> you can hear it in you sleep, you see it flash, it's the real deal
>
> I my case the pathology has pushed the reaper back a bit, not much,
> but just a bit. For those that can relate, no nodes involved, liver
> not involved.
>
> I can only remember spontaneously crying as a man, twice in my life, I
> have done that hourly for the last six days.
>

> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.
>

> Harry Mason
> www.Troutflies.com

Bill Mason
December 11th, 2003, 03:28 AM
"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal that can only be described as a
> Profoundly Life Altering experience. The crushing words : "You have
> Cancer"

I can only imagine the stress you and your wife have been going through, and
I will keep you in my thoughts. Try to stay positive and fight the good
fight...you've got a lot of people pulling for you.

Bill Mason

Guyz-N-Flyz
December 12th, 2003, 12:32 AM
"bones" > wrote in message
> I came home tonight from an ordeal >
> Harry Mason

Keep the faith Harry, foods gonna taste better, fish will be bigger, and the
tears will come to ya more easily, when ya kick this ****! I'll have mother
kick her prayer group into a higher gear, also!

Pullin' fro ya.

Op

ArnSaga
December 12th, 2003, 02:25 AM
<< bones >><BR><BR>
<< There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
I will most likely have to go through Chemo… >><BR><BR>
Having waited and prayed through a year with my sister, I can tell you that
chemo stinks, but is generally much less debilitating than it used to be and
better targeted and more successful. I can tell you that multi-beam radiation
is working better than the old style, hurting less and killing the target cells
better. I can tell you that some things that used to be death sentences now
have meaningful cure rates. And I can tell you that you are valued and
appreciated here and certainly in the wider world.
God be with you.
Glenn
GKT

John Lindsey
December 12th, 2003, 05:42 PM
"bones" > wrote in message
> There is hope and my condition is better than many, many others .
> I will most likely have to go through Chemo.

Harry, all your friends wish you well and I echo their comments and best
wishes.

God be with you.
John