PDA

View Full Version : ParaNormal Caddis

while_1
December 16th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Last year I posted photos of the ParaNormal Mayfly, which is a
somewhat
tricky (and perhaps) overly complex Extended Body Mayfly dun, tied
without
a hook.

Below is another ParaNormal dry fly: this a time a deer hair caddis
immitation.
The Caddis--unlike the mayfly--is fast and easy to tie. Because it's a
tube
fly, the hook dangles below the fly (below the surface tension) and
the fly
floats like a cork. Because the size of the fly is de-coupled from the
size
of the hook, you can use a relatively smaller hook, which also helps
the float.

Because this fly has a flat, horizontally mounted parachute hackle,
the
ParaNormal Caddis floats low and close the water, more like the real
thing
than traditional Palmer hackled caddis immitations.

When you snag and break off (any) tubefly dryfly, you lose the hook,
but the
fly itself comes floating back to you like high floating homeing
pigeon.

http://montana-riverboats.com/static_pages/Flies/Sandy_Pittendrigh/ParaNormal_Caddis/ParaNormal_Caddis.html

Sierra fisher
December 16th, 2003, 03:52 PM
That is an interesting fly. However, I have one question. How does the
fly right itself, or does it spend half of its time floating upside down?
Most flies ties on a hook have a "keel"; that is the bend of the hook and
the barb are a weight that tends to keep the fly right side up. It this
Paranormal lands upside down, I see nothing that will turn it over. What is
your experience in fishing it?

"while_1" > wrote in message
m...
> Last year I posted photos of the ParaNormal Mayfly, which is a
> somewhat
> tricky (and perhaps) overly complex Extended Body Mayfly dun, tied
> without
> a hook.
>
> Below is another ParaNormal dry fly: this a time a deer hair caddis
> immitation.
> The Caddis--unlike the mayfly--is fast and easy to tie. Because it's a
> tube
> fly, the hook dangles below the fly (below the surface tension) and
> the fly
> floats like a cork. Because the size of the fly is de-coupled from the
> size
> of the hook, you can use a relatively smaller hook, which also helps
> the float.
>
> Because this fly has a flat, horizontally mounted parachute hackle,
> the
> ParaNormal Caddis floats low and close the water, more like the real
> thing
> than traditional Palmer hackled caddis immitations.
>
> When you snag and break off (any) tubefly dryfly, you lose the hook,
> but the
> fly itself comes floating back to you like high floating homeing
> pigeon.

http://montana-riverboats.com/static_pages/Flies/Sandy_Pittendrigh/ParaNormal_Caddis/ParaNormal_Caddis.html

---

Sandy Pittendrigh
December 16th, 2003, 03:57 PM
This particular does land upside down about 30% of the time.
But it doesn't seem to matter (to the fish) much. The main advantages
are better floating and the ability to retrieve snagged flies.

The fly itself spins on the leader as you cast it.
Because the top-mounted wing is (slightly) wind resistant,
the wing does catch the air and orient right-side up
most of the time. Just not all of the time.

Other flies, with upright wings or, for instance, elk-hair
stoneflies (with more wind-resistant wings) land upright more
often.