PDA

View Full Version : "pistol" salt water flies

Lat705
December 21st, 2003, 09:47 PM
I hear puting a bead and spinner (ala a Pistol Pete) in front of salt water
flies works great. Anyone try this? My qustion is what bead and what spiner
to try.

Lou T

while_1
December 22nd, 2003, 03:50 PM
(Lat705) wrote in message >...
> I hear puting a bead and spinner (ala a Pistol Pete) in front of salt water
> flies works great. Anyone try this? My qustion is what bead and what spiner
> to try.
>

> Lou T

....never tried spinners on salt water flies.
But I often put a colorado spinner in front of a streamer or woolly worm
during runoff--during brown or cloudy water. To do that I use an
extra-heavy tippet (doesn't matter in brown water anyway) and a plastic
clevis, to mount the spinner. The plastic clevis is less likely (I think)
to cut or wear through the tippet than a traditional metal clevis.
You can get them at places that sell spinner making stuff, like Netcraft
or Cabelas.

When trout fishing, there are times when the fish seem to want spinners,
and plenty of times when they don't. I like Colorado Spinners the best,
because they spin even on a slow retrieve.

Willi
December 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Lat705 wrote:

> I hear puting a bead and spinner (ala a Pistol Pete) in front of salt water
> flies works great. Anyone try this? My qustion is what bead and what spiner
> to try.
>

> Lou T

About twenty five years ago I tied Pistol Pete's for the company. They
used a hollow chrome plated bead and a propeller like:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/pointed_propeller_blades.htm

Willi