PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying bench

Dave Parlette
December 29th, 2003, 12:09 AM
I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking for
some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Hooked
December 29th, 2003, 12:35 AM
"Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

You could try a "Google" search for fly tying desks, but wouldn't it be a
lot nicer if you made something unique? Something you design and build on
your own? Think about the space you will require, and what you'll want
sitting on top of the desk. Then think about where you'll be storing your
materials and tools. I've seen many desks that look like rolltop desks, and
I've seen many that have little rails around the outside for holding spools
of thread and tools. Try the "Google" search for ideas, and think up what
you'd like to tie on. Then you'll really be happy.

Dave LaCourse
December 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Dave Parlette writes:

>I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking for
>some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

I don't know about plans, but there are always fly tying benches advertised in
the fly fishing/tying books. This one is advertised in Fly Tyer:
http://flytyingfurniture.com/

And this one also:
http://stoneycreekflytying.com/

Also, some fly shops have the fly tying benches that can be set on a table.
For example, see:
http://huntersangling.com/

I've never actually seen plans, but if you are handy with woodworking, I'm
willing to bet you could probably draw your own plans, and get some ideas of
what you want by seeing some examples of what is out there.

Good luck. Happy New Year.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Larry and a cat named Dub
December 29th, 2003, 04:17 AM
I built my own out of corion (by Dupont) and oak. It makes a fantastic top.
I wood burned some fly's in the oak before I stained it . I set it on a
utility cabinet and added drawers to the cabinet. I am going to change the
arm and drill the holes for the scissors at a 45d angle. I was new at tying
so I wasn't sure what would work best and what was best placed where. If you
like Ill post a picture.

egildone
December 30th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less than
$20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.

http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginnersinstruct/a/bl031209a.htm

--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

egildone
December 30th, 2003, 03:53 PM
You might try searching on ebay also. They have lots of benches.

Ed
"Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Bob Twombly
January 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM
That is a pretty darn good bench. I wish the photos were a little larger
but looks nice.
"egildone" > wrote in message
> Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less than
> $20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.
>
> http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginnersinstruct/a/bl031209a.htm
>

> --
> Ed (remove nospam to reply)
>
> "Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> > I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
> for
> > some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Bob Twombly
January 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM
I did a "bench" out of a plastic cutting board, a fold up table and a small
parts organizer. The whole set up cost under $50 and I tye about 500-1000
flys per year. The fold up table is one of those that you can get at a
department store or office supply store. It has metal legs and fiberboard
top covered with that brown woody looking plastic covering($30). I set a
non stick plastic cutting board($8) in the middle and clamp it to the table
with my vice to hold it in place. It gives a nice background vs. the dark
brown of the table and nothing sticks to it. The parts organizer can be
found in a hardware or department store for about ($10). I store the bulk
material in the rubber maid plastic containers with mothballs. Those are
stacked up on either side of the cutting board for easy access as well as
under the table. It is not fancy but serves me well for little money. I
have used this setup for about 5 years very happily.
"Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

egildone
January 1st, 2004, 11:34 PM
I also saw one similar to the one pictured, but they raised the bench about
3 " by attaching boards to the sides and back, then hung a couple of drawers
under the main board.
"Bob Twombly" > wrote in message
> That is a pretty darn good bench. I wish the photos were a little larger
> but looks nice.
> "egildone" > wrote in message
> > Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less
than
> > $20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.
> >
> > http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginnersinstruct/a/bl031209a.htm
> >

> > --
> > Ed (remove nospam to reply)
> >
> > "Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> > > I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm
looking
> > for
> > > some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get
one.

DaveMohnsen
January 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
"egildone" > wrote in message
> Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less than
> $20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.
>
> http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginnersinstruct/a/bl031209a.htm
>

> --
> Ed (remove nospam to reply)
>
> "Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
> > I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking
> for
> > some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Hi Ed,
Looked at the link. Kinda neat. Went to Walmart the other day and paid
about $12.00 US for the stuff (boards and dowels). I don't need another . .
..I just looked around the house . . .got 5 already . . .but I just . . .just
.. . . tremble . . .tremble . . .had to see it. Will start somebody on the
project soon, I suspect.
Thanks,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Conan the Librarian
January 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
"Dave Parlette" > wrote in message news:<VgKHb.85462$ss5.40434@clgrps13>...

> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

I'm late to this thread, but here's what I did. I searched Google
and Google Images using various word combinations (I think I used "fly
tying bench", but play around some to see what you get). That gave me
plenty of examples to look at, and good ideas for spool storage, vise
support, etc.

In my case, I wanted a portable tying station. I also wanted a
fair amount of self-contained storage. From there it was a simple
matter to start jotting down ideas and working up a design on graph
paper.

If you do a lot of woodworking, then you really don't need someone
else to make plans up for you. Like a woodworking workbench, a tying
station should be a function of various things, most of them relating
to your own personal way of working. One size doesn't fit all.

I splurged on the wood for my station, as I had some fabulous curly
cherry and quilted maple that were just sitting in my shop waiting to
be made into something. But first and foremost, it was designed to be
functional.

Pics of it are at:

http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation03.jpg
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg

Chuck Vance (obviously it's not nearly as neat these days)

Ernie
January 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
> "Dave Parlette" > wrote
> I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking.
I'm looking for
> some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can
get one.

Dave,
I made a "Travel Tie Box" which contains all my things and
provides a place to hold the vise. I can tie anywhere with it
and even hold it in my lap and tie while watching television. I
will send you the plans if you want, just send me an E-mail.
Remove NO Spam from my address.
Ernie

riverman
January 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM
"Conan the Librarian" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dave Parlette" > wrote in message
>
> I splurged on the wood for my station, as I had some fabulous curly
> cherry and quilted maple that were just sitting in my shop waiting to
> be made into something. But first and foremost, it was designed to be
> functional.
>
> Pics of it are at:
>
> http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg
> http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation03.jpg
> http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg

Holy cow! You have space for 63 different spools of thread!! I have
precisely TWO in my tying kit...and I seem to always use just the black. I
feel like I'm missing something...

--riverman
(like fish, probably)

Conan the Librarian
January 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message >...

> > http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg
> > http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation03.jpg
> > http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg
>
> Holy cow! You have space for 63 different spools of thread!!

Yeah, it may seem excessive, but when I started planning it, most
of the tying stations I was looking at have at least that much spool
storage. And they're not just for thread; I store floss, wire, v-rib,
etc. (i.e., anything that comes on a spool) on them. Plus, since I
tie for bass (read: lots of spinning of deer-hair) as well as trout, I
need different strengths of thread.

Having said that, since that picture was taken, my spool storage
has completely filled up. :-|

> I have
> precisely TWO in my tying kit...and I seem to always use just the black.

I admire your frugality. :-)

Chuck Vance

Lat705
January 8th, 2004, 05:06 PM
If you did not glue in the spool dowel rod, you can insert the same size dowel
rod in a large cork and use to to gain additional fly drying capability asthe
need arises. Of course you trade off spool storage temporarily.

Lou T

Conan The Librarian
January 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Lat705 wrote:

> If you did not glue in the spool dowel rod, you can insert the same size dowel
> rod in a large cork and use to to gain additional fly drying capability asthe
> need arises. Of course you trade off spool storage temporarily.

Good idea. As it happens, I didn't glue the brass rods in. They
are held in place by another piece of wood drilled with matching holes
and glued in place below the top one. The rods are a snug fit, but can
be taken out by twisting them loose from the bottom piece.

What I did for drying was attach a small piece of "bristle-tack" to
the left support arm. (You can see it in the following picture:
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg) It will hold several flies
at a time (unless they are all big bass flies). I don't do production
tying (though tying for the FS sometimes feels like it)), so I usually
just leave a fly to dry until I complete the next one and then it goes
in my box.

Chuck Vance