PDA

View Full Version : FS2004: the Official Announcement

rb608
January 1st, 2004, 01:07 AM
A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.

No undertaking of this swap should go forward, however, without first
acknowledging the contributions of its swapmeister emeritus, Frank Church.
Frank has selfishly put in a lot of his time over the years and deserves a
well-earned respite from the hordes of boxes, bags, and disposable cups
undoubtedly awaiting this humble successor. Thanks Frank. I'll get you for
this. <g>

It has become abundantly apparent that while many swappers think nothing of
tying scores of flies, it does tend to become a bit tedious for most after
the first few dozen. The rules of this swap, therefore, will not require
any tier to produce more than 30 flies. At the same time, there is the
consideration to allow unlimited participation to all who wish inclusion.
So be it. There will be no limit to the number of participants. If you
can take it, so can I. This will make it necessary to break up the swap
into several groups, the number of which to be determined by the number of
participants and the tying limit of 30 flies.

On with the details.

Sign up period: January 1, 2004 through January 14, 2004. Two weeks ought
to be enough time for you to make up your mind. If there is any chance you
will not complete your commitment, please don't sign up.

Number of flies to be tied: 30 max. If the number of tiers exceeds 30, the
swap will be split into two groups. If participation goes past 60, three
groups will be created. Etc. I will juggle the fly totals, group splits,
and participant numbers as the signup progresses.

Completion and submission date: February 20, 2004. All flies should be in
my hands by that date. That gives you 4 weeks to tie and another week or so
for shipping. Piece o' cake.

Can you sign up for more than one fly or more than one group? Sure, why
not. If you wish to receive a complete set of swap flies (i.e. all flies
from all groups), you are more than welcome to tie 30 or 60 or however many
flies you wish. I will not require anyone to tie more than 30; but if you
are willing to extend your participation beyond that maximum, please make
note of that in your signup.

Tags: Please securely attach a tag to each fly indicating your name and the
name of the fly. More than that is no necessary. Too large a tag can make
packaging and sorting somewhat of a problem in some instances. I'd also
recommend avoiding tied-on tags that can tangle together in transit.

Return packaging: All fly sets submitted should include a return package
that is already addressed and containing the correct postage. Second to
sorting flies, addressing and affixing postage to packages is the most
time-consuming task for the swapmeister, IME.

Extra flies and extra postage: Please don't. It's a fine gesture and one
that has been much appreciated in the past, but it isn't necessary. If you
wish to include and designate and extra fly or two for a good cause, that's
fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.

Swapmeister's address:
Joe Fleischman
P.O. Box 42272
Towson, MD 21284
(Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
previous employer but not terribly near my home.)

Swapmeister's email:

I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when you
're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm

I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.
Gentlemen, man (and woman) your vises.

Ye swapmeister II,
Joe Fleischman

bugcaster
January 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
I'm in the swap for a size 16 Renegade.

Randy in Oregon
"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Wayne P
January 1st, 2004, 01:14 AM
Hi All . . .

I am in . . . I am going to do either my Great White Bass Clouser . . . .
or a Scud that I call Scudzilla . . Depending on the materials I am able to
get this week or next.

Joe, I would like in for the whole group(s). Assuming it doesnt go over 60
or so . . . . Can we wait until the final count comes in to decide if we are
in for a 30 group or the whole shooting match??

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne Patton
Bella Vista, Arkansas

"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Tim Carter
January 1st, 2004, 01:15 AM
"bugcaster" > wrote in message
> I'm in the swap for a size 16 Renegade.

E-mail has been sent to Ye Olde Swapmeister...I'm in for a #8 beadhead
October Caddis.

Bob Weinberger
January 1st, 2004, 01:16 AM
"rb608" > wrote in message
> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
> announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.

Well since it has been oficially announced and, as has been noted in ROFF, it is already Jan. 1,2004
in some parts of the world - sign me up. I will tie a size 14 Wilted Spinach, and am willing to extend
my participation to up to 60 flies.

--
Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR

Remove "invalid" and place a dot between bobs and stuff to reply email

bugcaster
January 1st, 2004, 01:18 AM
I'm in the swap for a size 16 Renegade, but second the request to see how
many sign up before committing to more than 60.

Randy in Oregon

"Wayne P" > wrote in message
> [...]
> that's
> > fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
> >
> > Swapmeister's address:
> > Joe Fleischman
> > P.O. Box 42272
> > Towson, MD 21284
> > (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> > previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
> >
> > Swapmeister's email:
> >

> > I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
> you
> > 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> > http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
> >
> > I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> > Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> > streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Frank Church
January 1st, 2004, 01:20 AM
"bugcaster" > wrote in
:

> I'm in the swap for a size 16 Renegade.
Ah Joe, you have my gratitude and deepest sympathies, nevertheless, put me
down for a size 14 Beadhead Bluegill Bomber.

Frank(rub a little lower)Church

rb608
January 1st, 2004, 01:21 AM
"Wayne P" > wrote in message
> Joe, I would like in for the whole group(s). Assuming it doesnt go over 60
> or so . . . . Can we wait until the final count comes in to decide if we
are
> in for a 30 group or the whole shooting match??

Yeah; I was figuring to make organizational changes as the signups come in.
Knowing up front who may or may not be interested in multiple entries will
help me decide when to split the group (or not) to best results. I'll be
double checking with all swappers as necessary as it goes.

Joe F.

Svend Tang-Petersen
January 1st, 2004, 01:23 AM
Im in too.

Baetis para-dun (or something similar).

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
1500 Crittenden Lane Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA
MS 30-2-526

Allen Epps
January 1st, 2004, 01:24 AM
In article
>, rb608
> wrote:

> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official....

Joe,
Sign me up for a size 8 black stonefly, unless I actually figure out
how to tie a decent grey ghost, well, just make it the stonefly. Hope
to see you at the fly show. Now that my official new years day
obligations are over I may simply go to bed!

Cheers and happy new year to all,

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Tim J.
January 1st, 2004, 01:35 AM
"rb608" wrote...
> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
> announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.

Hmmm. . . eight signups in twenty minutes. At this rate that's 24 signups per
hour, 576 per day, and 8064 during the entire signup period. That makes 241,920
flies, minimum. Good luck, Joe - yer gonna need a bigger mailbox.

Even though I SWORE to myself I wouldn't tie more than 25, what's five more
between friends. ;-) I'm in for the ol' TBD.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan Gula
January 1st, 2004, 01:54 AM
"rb608" > wrote in message
> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
> announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.

I'm in for up to 60 of whatever I decide to tie. You doing pictures?
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

rb608
January 1st, 2004, 02:11 AM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in message
> I'm in for up to 60 of whatever I decide to tie. You doing pictures?

I dunno, maybe. Maybe even probably.

Joe F.

Stan Gula
January 1st, 2004, 02:28 AM
"rb608" > wrote in message

> "Stan Gula" > wrote in message
> > I'm in for up to 60 of whatever I decide to tie. You doing pictures?
>
> I dunno, maybe. Maybe even probably.
>
> Joe F.

If you can't/won't for any reason, I will. I suspect that by the time you
get them all sorted, you will be pretty sick of seeing them.

Frank Church
January 1st, 2004, 02:30 AM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in
:

I suspect that by the time
you get them all sorted, you will be pretty sick of seeing them.

....yeah, what he said. :-)

Frank the former

Hooked
January 1st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Sign me up for up to 60 TBD's.

"rb608" > wrote in message
> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
> announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.

-- Rob
January 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM
> I will not require anyone to tie more than 30; but if you
>are willing to extend your participation beyond that maximum, please make
>note of that in your signup.

I'd like to join, tying a Grey Frede, size 8.

-- Rob @ Tinton Falls, NJ
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Ronbo142
January 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Joe

Count me in for my third year.

I will be tying a Prince Nymph most likley a size 16 will have to check the
hook inventory.

Semper Fi
Ronald Ausman
Warrenton Virginia

"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Richard Fortuna
January 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Hi Joe

Please sign me up again for a full set. Emergent Sparkle Pupas size 14.

Thanks
Richard Fortuna
"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Gary or Linda Brown
January 1st, 2004, 08:42 AM
Happy New Year to all, sign me up for up to 60 in the first batch (we'll see if
more are needed later).
I'll be tying another clouser pattern (done with home dyed "roadkill" donated by
friends) size TBD.

Thanks for all your work Joe.
And thanks to Frank for past swaps.

Gary
who may regret this....... at least till i see what i get back.

rb608 wrote:

> A Happy New Year wish to one and all; and herewith, the official
> announcement for the 2004 edition of the annual ROFF Fly Swap.
>

> Ye swapmeister II,
> Joe Fleischman

Warren
January 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM
wrote...
> Ye swapmeister II,
> Joe Fleischman

Count me in Joe if ya got the room.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Dave Martel
January 1st, 2004, 02:18 PM
Joe;

I'm in for the entire shebang. 30; 60; whatever. Mine will be a size 16
bead head Daves Red Fox Squirrel Nymph.

Dave M
"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Larry
January 1st, 2004, 07:44 PM
Allright... maybe it's because misery SHOULD love company, or maybe
it's because I just need to get back into it early this year, I'll sign up.

I know I'm good for 30, but I might go for 60 if it extends that far...
pattern TBD, but I'm leaning towards a Griffith's w/a cdc plume.

Larry Medina
Danville, CA

Stephen Welsh
January 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM
Larry > wrote in
m:

> Allright... [snipp] ... but I'm leaning towards a Griffith's w/a cdc
> plume.
>
> Larry Medina
> Danville, CA

Hey Larry! How've ya been?

;-)

Steve

John Lindsey
January 2nd, 2004, 01:53 AM
Happy New Year to all! Well count me in Joe for up to 60 of my Foam Bass
poppers. And a heartfelt thank you to Frank for all his great past work.

Good Luck!
John
"rb608" > wrote in message
> [...]
that's
> fine; but please, nothing for the swapmeister.
>
> Swapmeister's address:
> Joe Fleischman
> P.O. Box 42272
> Towson, MD 21284
> (Note that this address may change in the near future. It is near my
> previous employer but not terribly near my home.)
>
> Swapmeister's email:
>

> I even set up a website for the swap info. (amazing what you'll do when
you
> 're not burdened by time-consuming obligations like a job.) Check out:
> http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm
>
> I am hoping for another outstanding swap in the Frank Church tradition.
> Although I am not Frank (and do not receive sympathy backrubs from
> streamside masseuses), I'll do my best to carry on in his fine example.

Tim J.
January 2nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
"John Lindsey" wrote...
> Happy New Year to all! Well count me in Joe for up to 60 of my Foam Bass
> poppers. And a heartfelt thank you to Frank for all his great past work.

I say "screw Frank", and I say that with the greatest respect. Frank is sooooo
yesterday. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Frank Church
January 2nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
"Tim J." > wrote in

> "John Lindsey" wrote...
>> Happy New Year to all! Well count me in Joe for up to 60 of my Foam
>> Bass poppers. And a heartfelt thank you to Frank for all his great
>> past work.
>
> I say "screw Frank", and I say that with the greatest respect. Frank
> is sooooo yesterday. :)

Frank sez thank you John Lindsey, and BITE ME Timmy...I'll remember that if
we ever find ourselves in a tippy canoe some day. :-)

Frank Church
...who never met a stable canoe :(

pw
January 2nd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Count me in for 30 size 14 Hi-Vis Parachute Hare's Ear dry flies.
Maybe I'll sign up for another set of 30 but can't decide what to tie
yet.

Cool!

I hope my midges I tied for the last swap have found a good home ;-)

Paul Williamson
Livingston, MT
please use "paulwilliamson at spamcop.net" for e-mail
thanks

Hooked
January 2nd, 2004, 07:05 AM
"rb608" > wrote in message

> Number of flies to be tied: 30 max. If the number of tiers exceeds 30,
the
> swap will be split into two groups. If participation goes past 60, three
> groups will be created. Etc. I will juggle the fly totals, group splits,
> and participant numbers as the signup progresses.

Has anyone thought about what will happen if most everyone decides to tie up
at least 60 flies to be included in more than one group? If you don't tie up
30 of one type of fly, and then 30 of another, some of us will end up
getting two flies of the same pattern because we were included in two
groups.

Whadaya say there Swapmeister? Should we tie thirty of one and thirty of
another? How would that work out??

Hmmmm....

It's late, and time to sign off. Just something to ponder...

Flyguy
January 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
I had really hoped to finally participate in one of "Franks Swaps"....
guess I will have to settle for participating in one that he is in!
I will decide what I am tying this weekend, after the trip to the fly shop!
Put me down as a definate for the small group, and a definate maybe for the
large group!

Flyguy
Ont Can
AF retired

rb608
January 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
"Hooked" > wrote in message
> Has anyone thought about what will happen if most everyone decides to tie
up
> at least 60 flies to be included in more than one group? If you don't tie
up
> 30 of one type of fly, and then 30 of another, some of us will end up
> getting two flies of the same pattern because we were included in two
> groups.
>
> Whadaya say there Swapmeister? Should we tie thirty of one and thirty of
> another? How would that work out??

The simple solution is that the "duplicate" participants won't need to tie
up as many flies. If 20 tiers participate in both groups of 30, for
example, they would only need to tie 40 (41?) instead of 60.

OTOH, if you *want* to tie two different flies, that's okay too.

The key thing at this time is that I don't know how many participants there
will be or how it will all be arranged in the end. Depending on the final
number, a "round robin" distribution may be better than splitting into
groups. The important mantra I'm holding on to is that no one has to tie
more than 30, and if you tie 30, you get 30 in return. I expect it will
take shape once the signups taper off.

Piece o' cake,
Joe F.

Svend Tang-Petersen
January 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:

> Im in too.
>
> Baetis para-dun (or something similar).
>
> rb608 wrote:

Ill probably sign up for the bigger group as well, but in that case I might
change the
pattern to an EZ caddies #14-16.