PDA

View Full Version : Help - What are materials for Temple Dog, Comet, Plop Fly, Junction Shrimp UK Flies

Techie Guy
January 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Happy new year to all

A friend has asked me to tie some flies for a visit to the Tweed in
the UK
However I can't seem to find the dressings for some of them even after
extensive Internet searching. These are UK flies and it's specifically
the UK dressings I'm looking for.
If anyone can help please post the dressiings or materials list for
any of them if you know it. Thanks

Temple Dog, Junction Shrimp, Comet, and Plop Fly

Thanks again

Techie Guy

Sandy
January 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM
Techie Guy wrote:
> Happy new year to all

And to you.

> Temple Dog, Junction Shrimp, Comet, and Plop Fly
>
> Thanks again
>
> Techie Guy

Temple Dog -- http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/templdog.htm

The following for the Comet taken from here.

http://www.flytier.co.uk/reports/2002/mar23rd02.htm

"A FLY for the Spring - "The Comet": Perhaps not as well known as other
flies used in the spring but it's the style of it, rather than the colours
that is interesting.
The body is in two halves, the front black floss and the rear red floss
with a silver rib optional, as are the body's colours. For example, the rear
half could be silver or gold flat tinsel, instead of red floss.
The wing is really three separate parts with a tail or skirt at the back
(yellow bucktail); a middle 'wing' of red bucktail all round and reaching as
far as the yellow tail, and finally at the front a black bucktail overwing
all round reaching over the yellow and red parts.
This wing style might just give the fly a bit more movement in the
water. It's worth a try. Best on brass tubes and larger Waddingtons."

The Junction Shrimp(variant) ---
http://home.online.no/~jfuruly/salmon/fly99.htm

I can't find anything on the Plop Fly and I haven't heard of it so can't
help that way either :)

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Techie Guy
January 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:08:30 GMT, "Sandy" >
wrote:

>Techie Guy wrote:
>> Happy new year to all
>>

>And to you.

Thanks Sandy looks like the Plop fly is going to be a problem......

>> Temple Dog, Junction Shrimp, Comet, and Plop Fly
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Techie Guy
>
>Temple Dog -- http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/templdog.htm
>
>The following for the Comet taken from here.
>
>http://www.flytier.co.uk/reports/2002/mar23rd02.htm
>
> "A FLY for the Spring - "The Comet": Perhaps not as well known as other
>flies used in the spring but it's the style of it, rather than the colours
>that is interesting.
> The body is in two halves, the front black floss and the rear red floss
>with a silver rib optional, as are the body's colours. For example, the rear
>half could be silver or gold flat tinsel, instead of red floss.
> The wing is really three separate parts with a tail or skirt at the back
>(yellow bucktail); a middle 'wing' of red bucktail all round and reaching as
>far as the yellow tail, and finally at the front a black bucktail overwing
>all round reaching over the yellow and red parts.
> This wing style might just give the fly a bit more movement in the
>water. It's worth a try. Best on brass tubes and larger Waddingtons."
>
>The Junction Shrimp(variant) ---
>http://home.online.no/~jfuruly/salmon/fly99.htm
>
>I can't find anything on the Plop Fly and I haven't heard of it so can't
>help that way either :)
>
>HTH.
>
>--
>Don`t Worry, Be Happy
>
> Sandy

Hooked
January 4th, 2004, 06:57 PM
"Techie Guy" > wrote in message

> Thanks Sandy looks like the Plop fly is going to be a problem......

You may want to contact your friends in the UK and ask about that "plop
fly." While doing a Google search for "Fly Tying + Plop Fly" I got several
hits about flies that go plop. It may just be some sort of surface fly.
Maybe a "Bomber"?? (See a.b.p.f.)

Hooked
January 6th, 2004, 02:54 AM
"Techie Guy" > wrote in message
> Happy new year to all
>
> A friend has asked me to tie some flies for a visit to the Tweed in
> the UK
> However I can't seem to find the dressings for some of them even after
> extensive Internet searching. These are UK flies and it's specifically
> the UK dressings I'm looking for.
> If anyone can help please post the dressiings or materials list for
> any of them if you know it. Thanks
>
> Temple Dog, Junction Shrimp, Comet, and Plop Fly
>
> Thanks again
>
> Techie Guy

They just posted a nice pic of the Temple Dog here:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/flyweek3.html

Hooked
January 6th, 2004, 03:09 AM
"Hooked" > wrote in message

> They just posted a nice pic of the Temple Dog here:
> http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/flyweek3.html

Forgot to mention. Complete list of materials too.

Techie Guy
January 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:09:14 -0600, "Hooked" >
wrote:

>"Hooked" > wrote in message
>>
>> They just posted a nice pic of the Temple Dog here:
>> http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/flyweek3.html
>>

>Forgot to mention. Complete list of materials too.

Ok Cheers
My UK friends don't respond :-)

Now its just the Plop fly you can see the list of recommended flies at
the bottom of the following page. amongst them is the Plop Fly for my
friend.

http://www.fishtweed.co.uk/pages/tackleadvice.asp?ref=Tweed&dom=FishTweed