PDA

View Full Version : Fly Swap

Larry and a cat named Dub
January 8th, 2004, 11:44 PM
After reading the guidelines for the swap of 2004 I just figured why Frank
didnt do it this year.
He was getting addicted to the packing glue on the shipping lables. A glue
junkie.
Sign me up for a salmon egg fly

Lat705
January 9th, 2004, 04:46 AM
What's the late4st count? Just finished 30. Am I done tying?

Lou T

Hooked
January 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> What's the late4st count? Just finished 30. Am I done tying?
>

> Lou T

Check the Swapmeisters website at
http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FSswappers.htm for the official count.

rb608
January 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> What's the late4st count? Just finished 30. Am I done tying?

The signup is more than 30 at this point; but I am doubtful it will go high
enough to justify a split into two groups. Still, you can stop at 30 if you
wish. For those who wish to tie 30 and only 30 (the promised maximum), I
will sort the flies in a "round robin" method, and they will get 30 flies at
random from the larger pool. OTOH, if you hold out for the final count (I'm
guessing between 30 & 40), you may elect to tie a few more at your
discretion. I won't require more than 30; but whether or not you're done
tying is up to you.

Joe F.

Myxylplyk
January 12th, 2004, 01:54 PM
"rb608" > wrote in message

> "Lat705" > wrote in message
> > What's the late4st count? Just finished 30. Am I done tying?
>
> The signup is more than 30 at this point; but I am doubtful it will go high
> enough to justify a split into two groups. Still, you can stop at 30 if you
> wish. For those who wish to tie 30 and only 30 (the promised maximum), I
> will sort the flies in a "round robin" method, and they will get 30 flies at
> random from the larger pool. OTOH, if you hold out for the final count (I'm
> guessing between 30 & 40), you may elect to tie a few more at your
> discretion. I won't require more than 30; but whether or not you're done
> tying is up to you.
>
> Joe F.

Could I get a price check here?

If 35 tyers all enter. Lets say 20 are over acheivers and tie all 35 flies.
That leaves 15 that just go through life meeting the minimums.

When the flies are "sorted", how exactly is every entrant in the swap going
to receive 30 flies?
Is the "larger pool" you mention a kin to the loaves and fishes used by JC?

Thanks,
Myx

rb608
January 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM
"Myxylplyk" > wrote in message
> If 35 tyers all enter. Lets say 20 are over acheivers and tie all 35
flies.
> That leaves 15 that just go through life meeting the minimums.
>
> When the flies are "sorted", how exactly is every entrant in the swap
going
> to receive 30 flies?

Simple. The 20 overachievers will each get one from the minimum group.
That will leave 10 remaining from those sets of 30. Those 15 sets of 10
will be sorted in a round robin manner, so that each will end up with 10
flies from 15 participants. Every participant (all 35) will receive one
fly from the overachievers, so when all is said and done, those who tied 30
will receive 30; those who tied 35 will receive 35. Piece o' cake.

Joe F.

rb608
January 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM
"Myxylplyk" > wrote in message
> If I can find my equipment and materials, (Still in boxes), and I
remember,
> (its like riding a bike, right), maybe I'll enter.....

Sounds good; but you only have two days left for "maybe". :-)

Joe F.
http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004.htm

Lat705
January 12th, 2004, 10:17 PM
>Simple. The 20 ...

Joe You thinking of running for political office with a platform of resolving
the national debt?? Or keeping the books for organhized crime. Or becoming an
ENRON CPA?

Lou T

-- Rob
January 13th, 2004, 02:33 AM
>Simple. The 20 overachievers will each get one from the minimum group.
>That will leave 10 remaining from those sets of 30. Those 15 sets of 10
>will be sorted in a round robin manner, so that each will end up with 10
>flies from 15 participants. Every participant (all 35) will receive one
>fly from the overachievers, so when all is said and done, those who tied 30
>will receive 30; those who tied 35 will receive 35. Piece o' cake.
>
>Joe F.

have to 'fess up that without drawing this out 'brute force' (or rigorously?) I
have no idea what you're saying. Although I know the bottom line is: if n
fliers tie 35 and m tie 30, then t = (n*35+m*30) and re-divying them up is no
problem :)

you're just selecting 30 flies, m times in a round-robin fashion, right? and 35
flies, n times in a round-robin fashion, right?

or are you selecting the first 20 for everybody, then 10 for the fliers tying
30 and 15 for the fliers tying 35, round robin?

or ...

-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

rb608
January 13th, 2004, 03:00 AM
"-- Rob" > wrote in message
> have to 'fess up that without drawing this out 'brute force' (or
rigorously?) I
> have no idea what you're saying. Although I know the bottom line is: if n
> fliers tie 35 and m tie 30, then t = (n*35+m*30) and re-divying them up is
no
> problem :)
>
> you're just selecting 30 flies, m times in a round-robin fashion, right?
and 35
> flies, n times in a round-robin fashion, right?

Not exactly. If I use your variables, the n participants each get one of
the 30 flies from the m group. The round robin will then be the remaining
(30-n) flies among the m participants. There's no round robin for the sets
of 35; everybody gets one.

You're starting to hurt my brain. <g>

Joe F.

-- Rob
January 13th, 2004, 03:06 AM
>You're starting to hurt my brain. <g>
>
>Joe F.

my brain's been fried, so, so, so welcome to the club!

Anyhoo, thanks for organizing this!
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Lat705
January 13th, 2004, 03:12 AM
I heard three guys joined the swap and put in ten flies each for a total of
thirty flies. The swap master was told to give back 5 flies total to the the
three. He could not divide 5 by 3 so he gave back only one fly to each.
Therefore each had put in nine for a total of 27 pluss the two the Swapmaster
kept equals 29. Where's the extra fly? Joe be carefull of the math in this
swap please.

Lou T

rb608
January 13th, 2004, 03:13 AM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> I heard three guys joined the swap and put in ten flies each for a total
of
> thirty flies. The swap master was told to give back 5 flies total to the
the
> three. He could not divide 5 by 3 so he gave back only one fly to each.
> Therefore each had put in nine for a total of 27 pluss the two the
Swapmaster
> kept equals 29. Where's the extra fly? Joe be carefull of the math in
this
> swap please.

LOL. An oldie but a goodie.

Joe F.

Stan Gula
January 13th, 2004, 03:45 AM
"Lat705" > wrote in message
> I heard three guys joined the swap and put in ten flies each for a total
of
> thirty flies. The swap master was told to give back 5 flies total to the
the
> three. He could not divide 5 by 3 so he gave back only one fly to each.
> Therefore each had put in nine for a total of 27 pluss the two the
Swapmaster
> kept equals 29. Where's the extra fly? Joe be carefull of the math in
this
> swap please.
>
> Lou T

I love that problem. Nice job recasting it.

Jeff Miller
January 13th, 2004, 02:02 PM
dammit...you're not gonna be doin this kinda stuff at the penns cabin,
are ya lou? i mean, there is a basement to the place and the door does
lock...

it's that damn 25th fly, ain't it? jeez, i'm not gonna get any sleep.

jeff (conundrum challenged)

Lat705 wrote:

> I heard three guys joined the swap and put in ten flies each for a total of
> thirty flies. The swap master was told to give back 5 flies total to the the
> three. He could not divide 5 by 3 so he gave back only one fly to each.
> Therefore each had put in nine for a total of 27 pluss the two the Swapmaster
> kept equals 29. Where's the extra fly? Joe be carefull of the math in this
> swap please.
>
> Lou T

Lat705
January 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
If you think that was bad, wait until you hear my jokes. Remember to have me
tell you about the good looking Siamese twins and Julio Englesis.

Lou T