PDA

View Full Version : Soft Hackles

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 01:28 AM
I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
you'd like to share?

Willi

Larry
January 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Willi wrote:
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?

http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html

Tim Lysyk
January 9th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Larry wrote:

> http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html

Nice page. Thanks

Tim Lysyk

Tim J.
January 9th, 2004, 03:26 AM
"Willi" wrote...
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?

There were a few tied for the DDFS this past summer:
http://gula.org/roffswaps/swap.php?page=DD2003&id=13
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne P
January 9th, 2004, 03:31 AM
This is my favorite. I tied it for a swap this last summer.

http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=6

Wayne

"Willi" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

Big Dale
January 9th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Larry wrote:>http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html

Cool bunch of flies, but the red ass was conspicous by it's absence.

Big Dale

Cornmuse
January 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Nice!

"Larry" > wrote in message
m...

> Willi wrote:
> > I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> > you'd like to share?
>
> http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html

Cornmuse
January 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

Prtridge and orange and partridge and green are the two I use most often.
Carry them both is sizes 12 to 18. One that I wouldn't be without, however,
is the starling and claret in the same sizes. This is my most productive
warm water soft hackle and is an excellent choice for fishing deep during
late winter for trout.

My $0.02.

Joe C.

Larry
January 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I was sort of surprised no one tied one, too.... but like you said, they
WERE a cool bunch =)

Big Dale wrote:

> Larry wrote:>http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html
>

> Cool bunch of flies, but the red ass was conspicous by it's absence.
>
> Big Dale

Sandy
January 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Cornmuse wrote:
> "Willi" > wrote in message
>> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
>> you'd like to share?
>>
>> Willi
>>

> Prtridge and orange and partridge and green are the two I use most
> often. Carry them both is sizes 12 to 18. One that I wouldn't be
> without, however, is the starling and claret in the same sizes. This
> is my most productive warm water soft hackle and is an excellent
> choice for fishing deep during late winter for trout.
>
> My $0.02.
>
> Joe C.

Here are some pages that may be of interest.

http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/north_country.htm

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/northcountrywets1.shtml

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Roger Ohlund
January 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

Stewarts black spider.
I imagine that you've noticed that CDC isn't all that magical when it comes
to floating.
However, try tying a variant of Stewarts black spider with black CDC for a
sparse hackle.
What you get is a fly that doesn't float nor sink all that fast when fished
upstream. It more or less fishes in or slightly under the surface and you
can easily see when a fish takes it. Also it will be a fly with great hackle
motion as it is affected by currents and as such it gives a lifelike
impression.
I've used this fly with success after brown trout in very clear waters.

/Roger

Vaughan Hurry
January 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

A standard P&O or a waterhen bloa are my 2 favourites. Both are wonderful
grayling flies but are equally as good for trout. I have also had some luck
with small (#18 & 20s) Peacock & Snipes (1 or 2 turns of herl behind the
hackle on a bare black hook) for midging fish.

Vaughan

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks to everyone with their suggestions. Over the last few years I've
found myself using a soft hackle at least as much as nymphs. I also got
some new quail pelts that will tie flies in the smaller sizes. I'm
looking at trying a wider variety this year and we'll see.

Willi

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Roger Ohlund wrote:

> "Willi" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
>>you'd like to share?
>>
>>Willi

> Stewarts black spider.
> I imagine that you've noticed that CDC isn't all that magical when it comes
> to floating.
> However, try tying a variant of Stewarts black spider with black CDC for a
> sparse hackle.
> What you get is a fly that doesn't float nor sink all that fast when fished
> upstream. It more or less fishes in or slightly under the surface and you
> can easily see when a fish takes it. Also it will be a fly with great hackle
> motion as it is affected by currents and as such it gives a lifelike
> impression.
> I've used this fly with success after brown trout in very clear waters.

A CDC soft hackle - great idea. Not something I ever thought of. I can
see some good applications.

Willi

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Larry wrote:

> Willi wrote:
>
>> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
>> you'd like to share?
>

> http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html

Thanks Larry, I already had that one bookmarked and will be tying up a
few of those. (On a rotary, none the less)

Willi

DaveMohnsen
January 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote in message
> Larry wrote:>http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html
> >

> Cool bunch of flies, but the red ass was conspicous by it's absence.
>
> Big Dale

Hi Big Dale,
Neat fly. A simple soft hackle that catches fish. I do a kinda variant
from what I've seen, but have caught 'gills, crappie, trout . . .heh. . .
heh . . .and an occasional small bass on the things. Thanks for reminding
me about it.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
DaveMohnsen wrote:

> "Big Dale" > wrote in message
>
>>Larry wrote:>http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html
>>
>>Cool bunch of flies, but the red ass was conspicous by it's absence.
>>
>>Big Dale
>

> Hi Big Dale,
> Neat fly. A simple soft hackle that catches fish. I do a kinda variant
> from what I've seen, but have caught 'gills, crappie, trout . . .heh. . .
> heh . . .and an occasional small bass on the things. Thanks for reminding
> me about it.
> BestWishes,
> DaveMohnsen
> Denver

My version of a red ass is tied with red wire for the body. I like the
weight and segmentation it adds.

Willi

DaveMohnsen
January 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> DaveMohnsen wrote:
>
> > "Big Dale" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Larry wrote:>http://home.wxs.nl/~westb001/SHpage1.html
> >>
> >>Cool bunch of flies, but the red ass was conspicous by it's absence.
> >>
> >>Big Dale
> >

> > Hi Big Dale,
> > Neat fly. A simple soft hackle that catches fish. I do a kinda
variant
> > from what I've seen, but have caught 'gills, crappie, trout . . .heh. .
..
> > heh . . .and an occasional small bass on the things. Thanks for
reminding
> > me about it.
> > BestWishes,
> > DaveMohnsen
> > Denver
>
> My version of a red ass is tied with red wire for the body. I like the
> weight and segmentation it adds.
>
> Willi

Hi Willi,

My version uses a fluorescent (bright red) thread tag, various ribs from
krystal flash to a wire rib (the latter of course being much more durable to
the fly) . . .body of peacock, ostrich, to regular dubbing . . .hackle of
partridge, quail, occasionally pheasant, and a head of the same tag
material.
Seems we do a similar kind of playing around with the patterns. . .as
thousands of other fly tiers..
It is another of those patterns. . . I don't know why it works for sure . .
.. but it does . . .in the presentation, and general imitative profile.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Willi
January 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
DaveMohnsen wrote:

> Hi Willi,
>
> My version uses a fluorescent (bright red) thread tag, various ribs from
> krystal flash to a wire rib (the latter of course being much more durable to
> the fly) . . .body of peacock, ostrich, to regular dubbing . . .hackle of
> partridge, quail, occasionally pheasant, and a head of the same tag
> material.
> Seems we do a similar kind of playing around with the patterns. . .as
> thousands of other fly tiers..
> It is another of those patterns. . . I don't know why it works for sure . .
> . but it does . . .in the presentation, and general imitative profile.
> BestWishes,
> DaveMohnsen
> Denver

I used to use them basically as an attractor type pattern, but more and
more I'm using them to match specific hatches from tiny Mays to good
sized Caddis. I've gotten some of my best fish on them in recent years.
Surprisingly to me, I've done VERY well with them in heavily fished
waters. I think that's partly because few people fish them. I hooked a
fine fish on our trip to the Bighorn last Fall and RW got a guide with a
big net to come over and help land it. After it was landed, the guide
asked me what I got it on. I told him, "a soft hackle" and he asked
"what is that?"

Willi

Larry L
January 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
"Willi" > wrote

.. I also got
> some new quail pelts that will tie flies in the smaller sizes.

The various Quails have some wonderful soft hackle feathers, you will be
glad you got those pelts. I didn't look at all the posts and pictures, so
this may already be posted. But one thing I do on two of my most used small
SH patterns is tie in a single ( at most two ) strand of crystal flash,
doubled, into the thorax, then add the hackle. The CF is trimmed VERY close
to the thorax, maybe just one or two "twists in the CF" showing, i.e. very
short, leaving two very tiny "sparkles" at the thorax ... this seems to
increase the effectiveness, all the disclaimers about "the fly you use is
the one that will be best" intact. I like to think the occasional
"twinkle" of the CF catches the eye, but doesn't overpower the "bug
matching" intended ...

One of the coolest things about FF is that one can make up one's own "rules"
and one of mine is "fish imitations, not attractors" not that I "feel
superior" because of that rule, it just makes it more fun, for me, at my
stage of FF activity. Given that "rule," one of the neat things about SH
patterns is that nearly all of them "look buggy" enough to satisfy <G> ... I
doubt that very many fish eat a SH in "wonder WHAT THE HELL that might be,
better eat one and see" mode that, imho, is the reason many very flashy
nymph patterns work ... Lord knows what Mr. Fishbrain thinks he's eating
when he takes a given SH, at a given time, but I bet he usually thinks it's
something he already knows about <G>

Big Dale
January 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Willie wrote:>My version of a red ass is tied with red wire for the body. I
like the
>weight and segmentation it adds.

Wonder why I have never tied any that way before? Guess what I will be tying at
the weekly meeting of The Roadkill Roundtable Saturday morning?

Big Dale

Big Dale
January 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Dave wrote:>Hi Willi,

>My version uses a fluorescent (bright red) thread tag, various ribs from
>krystal flash to a wire rib (the latter of course being much more durable to
>the fly) . . .body of peacock, ostrich, to regular dubbing . . .hackle of
>partridge, quail, occasionally pheasant, and a head of the same tag
>material.
>Seems we do a similar kind of playing around with the patterns. . .as
>thousands of other fly tiers..
>It is another of those patterns. . . I don't know why it works for sure . .
>. but it does . . .in the presentation, and general imitative profile.
>BestWishes,
>DaveMohnsen
>Denver
I like to play around with them also. Does anyone else use just three to six
fibers of zelon as a trailing shuck. When I mentioned this to Craig Matthews a
couple of years ago you should have seen the lightbulb going off above his
head. I have thought for years that someday I would fish my way from Dallas to
West Yellowstone and back and bring nothing but soft hackles. Wonder if this
will be the year?

Big Dale

Larry L
January 9th, 2004, 08:51 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote

Does anyone else use just three to six
> fibers of zelon as a trailing shuck.

yes, it's a variation I often tie ... I'm a firm believer that "different"
is often important, on hard fished waters Water where fish sees a lot of
BRF shop sparkle duns ... is a great place to try the sparser look, for
instance

also, try that sparse shuck with a sparse and shorter "overshuck" of
filoplume ( only thing I know to call it ) ... a little movement AND a
little sparkle ....um, yummy .... oh and the "micro z-lon" now out has
qualities a little "different" too

Willi
January 10th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Larry L wrote:

> "Big Dale" > wrote
>
> Does anyone else use just three to six
>
>>fibers of zelon as a trailing shuck.
>

> yes, it's a variation I often tie ... I'm a firm believer that "different"
> is often important, on hard fished waters Water where fish sees a lot of
> BRF shop sparkle duns ... is a great place to try the sparser look, for
> instance
>
> also, try that sparse shuck with a sparse and shorter "overshuck" of
> filoplume ( only thing I know to call it ) ... a little movement AND a
> little sparkle ....um, yummy .... oh and the "micro z-lon" now out has
> qualities a little "different" too

I'm having trouble picturing that overshuck. I like filoplume, think
it's very attractive to the fish.

Could you take a photo or scan a fly?

Willi

Willi
January 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Larry L wrote:

> One of the coolest things about FF is that one can make up one's own "rules"
> and one of mine is "fish imitations, not attractors" not that I "feel
> superior" because of that rule, it just makes it more fun, for me, at my
> stage of FF activity. Given that "rule," one of the neat things about SH
> patterns is that nearly all of them "look buggy" enough to satisfy <G> ... I
> doubt that very many fish eat a SH in "wonder WHAT THE HELL that might be,
> better eat one and see" mode that, imho, is the reason many very flashy
> nymph patterns work ... Lord knows what Mr. Fishbrain thinks he's eating
> when he takes a given SH, at a given time, but I bet he usually thinks it's
> something he already knows about <G>

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm now using SH's to imitate specific
hatches. However, my favorite way of using them is fishing a "cast" of
them in the riffles on a hot Summer day and skittering them across the
surface. This can provide some very exciting fishing on the top when
nothing is showing. That technique also works well during a caddis
emergence.

Willi

Mike McGuire
January 10th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Willi wrote:

> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

Here's some of mine
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/shc.html
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/herl_brush_caddis/herlcaddis.html
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/shStonefly.html

Mike

take 100 out of my email to reach me

Ernie
January 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM
> Willi wrote:
> > I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any
favorites
> > you'd like to share?
> > Willi

Hi Willi,
I have always had good luck with a Western Coachman, Wet.
Ernie

Stephen Welsh
January 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Willi > wrote in news:3ffe03bd$0$70300$75868355
@news.frii.net:

> I'm gonna start tying up some soft hackles. Anyone have any favorites
> you'd like to share?
>
> Willi

Hares Mask and Partridge ... orange thread, no tail, hares mask mix of
tan fur and some guard hairs for a thin body, slightly darker mix for
thin thorax and a turn of partridge at head. Fish wet, dry or damp #16
or #14.

Red thread, two turns thread at butt, peacock herl body single strand no
build up, two open turns of black hen hackle through thorax area, rib of
counterwound thread. Size 18 - 1X short. Possibly an imitation of tiny
water beetles - fish wet.

Roger also mentioned a variation to the Black Stewart Spider ... the
standard tie has always served me well.

Steve